• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

Lindhorst

Bluelighter
I wasn't sure if this should be here or in drug culture. Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

So, do you keep a personal arsenal for the (mostly) inevitable withdrawals? Or do you have a personal preference for what would be in your arsenal (minus more opiates, with the possible exception of kratom)?

I can think of a few:

- Clonidine (preferably patch, but pills are good too)
- Gabapentin
- Benzo's (Klonipin has a nice half-life, but if the WD's are hitting hard any of them can be great)
- Pot (lots)
- Baclofen/Flexeril
- Loperamide

These are all fairly obvious and well known, but anything else? I suppose Kratom if your dosage was low enough, but I can't see it doing much good for high dose WDs.

Lyrica and mushrooms for me, although the ladder might not be a good idea for some as the negative mindstate that w/d produces might lead to a bad trip. Also weed but only sativa based headies as indicas leave me feeling even more lethargic. I also suggest staying away from alcohol and amps as they seem to make things worse.

well, I got a shitload of suboxone, but if I were to lose all of that and have to withdrawal from buprenorphine, I have at my disposal:

Gabapentin
Clonazepam
Immodium
DXM

I also have easy access to clonidine, though I would have to get out to get it. IMO, Gabapentin works wonders for opiate withdrawal. It basically stops all symptoms for me, the only problem is, I hate the loopy effect that GABA has on me, which is why I havn't detoxed off bupe yet.

I'm not especially fond of the feeling gabapentin has on me either, but it's a damn sight better than the RLS/muscle aches (which for me is the worst part and the thing gabapentin is best at helping).

can't smoke weed...so here's mine:

DXM (~300mg twice/day)
Loperamide (8-10mg every few hours)
Benzo's (if they're available and I have the dough) (whatever I can get my hands on)
Gabapentin (if I still have some) (800-2400mg 3/day)
Flexeril (if I still have some) (10-30mg 3/day)
Dimenhydrinate (150-200mg-solely for CNS depression)

A benzo (preferably a hypnotic, but usually I end up with my prescribed alprazolam)
loperamide
ibuprofen
clonidine

Luckily however, I don't ever have to go through withdrawals thanks to MMT.

1) Suboxone
2) Tramadol
3) Weed (When I have it)
4)Cigarettes (They don't help but they calm me down and give me a quick break from the wd)

It TOTALLY depends on what opioid and what kind of w/d I'm going to suffer from. As a general rule, the most important weapon in any w/d kit I put together for opioids is a certain mindset. One composed of patience, honesty, determination, an open minded understanding and discipline. I have survived more c/t detoxs with literally no w/d med at all than I can count, and most of they were very successful, not to mention that some were extremely rewarding experiences to have.

The last time I had to detox I was w/ding from a heroin habit that had been going on daily for about four months, of about 2-3g/day of moderately potent tar, snorting, smoking and IMing. All I needed to kick was hot baths, DXM, Beano and Piracetam. I suffered literally zero pain, and the only real symptom that gave me any bother at all was some insomnia the first four nights. I like to go to bed early most of the time, so not being able to fall asleep until like 2 or 3am kind of sucked, but it surely wasn't unbearable or anything.

It's sad how NMDA antagonists are so under-utilized by people suffering acute withdrawal from opioids. I cannot begin to say how far even just a little DXM or Ket can go into making even c/t relatively comfortable (more comfortable than most would even imagine possible is my guess).

It also pisses me off how little most hospital detoxs will actually do for their patients. They make them suffer during w/d more than one really needs to suffering - they turn the pain of w/d (which can be a good thing) into pure suffering (which is generally a pointless sort of experience).

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Suboxone
2) Tramadol
3) Weed (When I have it)
4)Cigarettes (They don't help but they calm me down and give me a quick break from the wd)

Why'll having the first two on your list would be great (especially the subs!), I'm talking more about the, I've got no opiates available to me for at least a week kinda thing. I mean if you have a rock solid connection for subs and tram that's one thing, but I would imagine most of us don't have that as those particular drugs aren't sold that often illicitly, well at least in my experience. Not to diminish your input at all, and if I had that arsenal I think the psychological fear would lessen dramatically.

Many years ago I may have had a 150-200mg/day Oxy habit. After trying cold turkey and almost commiting suicide I tried Kratom. It took away 95% of the WD's. It was a literal lifesaver. I ordered cheap powdered kratom and "00" capsules. My starter dose was 10-12 caps a day and then worked my way down to 0. As we all know, you will always be tempted so always keep a little kratom around. Kratom had very mild WD effects after stopping but were NOTHING compared to opiod/opiate WD. It's cheap and LEGAL, for now. At least give it a try!

1) low dose bupe or methadone, if not available, full agonists are used, preferably morphine. Supplemented if necessary by:
2) Clonodine
3) Benzos: Alprazolam/Lorazepam/Temazepam
4) Hash/Keif
5) Loperamide
6) Soma up to 1400mg
7) Lyrica up to 600mg
8) Vitamins: Multivitamins, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Gelcaps, Milk Thistle.
9) Tea
10) Have sex. Great distraction from WD even if it's temporary.
11) Nutrition, Hydration, Sleep.

Counter productive:
1) cigarettes
2) alcohol
3) Methamphetamines, although I do admit sometimes it does help provide a good distraction.

Kratom should be in every opiate addict's reserve, no matter how big your habit is. It's cheap, legal, and it works the same with everyone, whereas tramadol only works well for those with CYP2D6 allomorphisms. If you have a tolerance, you won't get any sort of high from Kratom, but it will save your ass! You can go up to 8-10g, which is equivalent to 30 (8g) - 37.5mg (10g) hydrocodone. Just don't dose any higher than 10g, because that's when Kratom nausea kicks in.

Beta blockers are also fantastic for the physical symptoms, just tell your doctor you get nervous with public speaking, they hand them out like candy

Benzos are great, too, but use them sparingly (4-5 days max)

1) low dose bupe or methadone, if not available, full agonists are used, preferably morphine. Supplemented if necessary by:
2) Clonodine
3) Benzos: Alprazolam/Lorazepam/Temazepam
4) Hash/Keif
5) Loperamide
6) Soma up to 1400mg
7) Lyrica up to 600mg
8) Vitamins: Multivitamins, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Gelcaps, Milk Thistle.
9) Tea
10) Have sex. Great distraction from WD even if it's temporary.
11) Nutrition, Hydration, Sleep.

Counter productive:
1) cigarettes
2) alcohol
3) Methamphetamines, although I do admit sometimes it does help provide a good distraction.

yes Yes YES!!!

Most people's sex drive comes back to life when they quick their opioids, as it had diminished when their were using. So this is obviously a good idea, as you'll probably be more inclined to bone that you were while using. Then again....

For some reason heroin increased my sex drive insanely, and when I'm not using it almost feels like a chore to masturbate. Then again, doing so before bed is a GREAT way to fall asleep if you're having w/d induced insomnia issues :)

Can't emphasize the importance of orgasms to the recovery of opioid addicts, both during the acute and post acute withdrawal.

That doesn't always work...I can't fuck now on the meds I'm currently on (because of pain; i.e. they aren't strong enough), so I can only imagine how difficult it would be to try to fuck without any at all...

lol, yea, I do know what you mean doug. Still, whenever possible, orgasms can do amazing things :)

and when all else fails, there is always the fleshlight for him and vibrators for her =D

Weed
as many benzo's as possible, if not benzos and you're feeling really shitty... just pull out the seroquel. Sleeping >>> being awake in WD.