• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Potentiating Klonopin

benzohead29

Greenlighter
last night i took 600mg tagamet 45 min prior to takin 12mg klonopin....i didnt notice many effects and partly attribute it to having eaten a very fatty chicken pasta alfredo last that night...

my question is, does white grapefruit juice or tagamet (cimetidine), both CYP450 liver enzyme inhibitors, potentiate klonopin better/more effectively? thanks,

appreciate educated answers as always

Using Cimetidine to Potentiate Klonopin

I've heard that taking cimetidine prior to benzo/opiate ingestion requires you to also take TUMS 15 min prior to dosins...why is that? arent they both antacids? They say it has something to with the cimetidine not being able to be properly absorbed and therefore wasted?

any thoughts?

tl;dr why do i need to take tums after taking tagamet to potentiate benzos?

I wouldn't take the Tums. The reason Tagamet potentiates (some) benzos isn't because its an antacid, but because its a CYP450 liver enzyme inhibitor, which happens to be the enzyme that metabolizes clonazepam (and a few other benzos). When you inhibit the enzyme, it takes your body longer to get rid of (metabolize) the clonazepam...which is why the duration is increased so much with the clonazepam + Tagamet combination.

but i heard you need to take tums of some kind of antacid post-tagamet so your stomach doesnt run out of acid? that sound counterintuitive to me....thoughts?

I've never heard that. Tagamet doesn't have anything to do with the acidity of your stomach in terms of potentiation. It's liver enzyme clogging, to be blunt.

Tums / antacids are what's up for amphetamines.

White grapefruit juice contains three ingredients that clog the CYP450 set. However, it doesn't clog CYP2D6 too well. It strongly fucks with CYP3A4 nicely though

would you say that quote 'fucks' with CYP3A4 better than tagamet? or could i just take them together for maximum enzyme inhibition?

also im not sure if my mylan generic C M 15 2mg clonazepam pills can be SL'd so i'm debating parachuting them for quicker onset....any suggestions?

*AMATEUR PHARMACOLOGY VIEW, NOT REFERENCED, FROM MY MIND*

Sublingual dosing of clonazepam would increase maximum plasma concentration more efficaciously than PO pill powder.

Cimetidine binds to cytochrome P450 which decreases clearance of benzodiazepines which undergo oxidative metabolism, including clonazepam; I think any benzodiazepine not metabolized by glucuronidation would be potentiated with cimetidine.

The interaction is objectively significant but I'm not sure to what degree subjective effects would be present.

They should degrade under your tongue, similar to suboxone pills. They won't degrade like wafers, but yes they can be used SL.

alright just SL'd 10 mg klonopin....with cimetidine and white gf juice taken prior....i swallowed a little bit of the pills but most of the pills dissolved under my tongue, which i dont understand how it works since theyre not water soluble, but oh well. if it works it works

Actually, there is something better than GFJ and cimetidine for potentiating benzos (except the 3-hydroxy group of lorazepam, temazepam, lormetazepam, and oxazepam). The antibiotic drug clarithromycin (Biaxin) is a drug that is an extremely powerful inhibitor of the CYP3A4 enzyme. This is the enzyme most responsible (by far) for the metabolism of just about all opioids and benzodiazepines. It comes in 500 mg tablets, taking 2 tablets (so 1000 mg) about 45-60 minutes before ingesting a benzo or opiate of choice and it would greatly potentiate it as it raises the levels of the drug in the body and makes the drug last longer.

I have tried it and it works better than anything I have ever tried to potentiate benzos or my methadone with.

and also noob question, but does taking cimetidine and/or white gf juice delay the onset of the benzo? seems when ive taken benzos by themselves they come on quicker/faster

and also noob question, but does taking cimetidine and/or white gf juice delay the onset of the benzo? seems when ive taken benzos by themselves they come on quicker/faster

No, GFJ or cimetidine have no effect on the onset of benzos, or at least they shouldn't.

k well i just sublingualed 10mg and parachuted 2 mg so 12mg in all...bout to have some fun

one last thing thing, i head rumour that SL'd benzos habve a longer onset but higher peak due to it bypassing first metabolism in the GI tract? true?