View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Bufo Alvarius Thread

koolkid

Bluelighter
Hi, i have decided to get a little pet, a small one. I want to get a frog actualy. I was watching the discovery channel & saw something about Bufo alvarus toad, it contains 5-Meo DMT & another chemical that starts w/ a b. I have always known about psychoactive frog venom I just didnt really believe it. I dont want the frog just for its DMT, i want is as a pet too. I think it would be cool to have a trippy frog. i dont just wanna get fucked up, i want 2 be enlightened. i was thinking of just having a toad or two and milk it every month or so and have a great journey. I always wanted to exract DMT but all the other ways seemed a little hard. This is like two for the price of one, trip & have a pet. what do u guys think ?

yes, the colorado river toad's (bufo alveris) does contain 5-meo-dmt, as well as a less well known and possibly highly toxic alkaloid known as bufotenin....rumor has it, both can be extracted be milking this venom from the toad's venom sacks and smoked....thats about it
ps- enlightenment doesnt come from any drug experience, be it dmt or psilocybin...visionary experience via drugs is like cheating on a test, you're treated to the wonders of efforts you have forgone... this isnt to say drug influenced visionary experience doesnt have its own place in the path to enlightenment, it is certainly no instant nirvana
also, you may want to study the difference in effects between dmt and 5-meo-dmt, totally different

you have a goodpoint goanaut about the enlightenment thing. i have a question though wouldnt it be dangerous to milk the toad ? i mean u got to actually pic it up & milk it w/ ur hands right ? wouldnt it bite you or give u its venom or something ? thanks for the quick response

If I recall correctly, the Bufo alvarus toad does not contain bufotenin. Most other Bufo (such as the Bufo marinus) species do however contain bufotenin. This is why the Bufo alvarus toad is noted for its psychoactive potential as opposed to the other bufos.

I stand corrected, now I recall
if the toad gave you its venom, hope it hits a vein ;)

Colorado River Toad's (Bufo alvarius) venom contains both 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenin...
I keep herps/reptiles (though I used to be much more into it than I am now)...I've seen Bufo alvarius offered only twice within the last year or so, by 2 well known/respected reptile dealers...the one dealer had 15 of them and they were either $65.00 or $85.00 each (I forget)...the other dealer only had 2 or 3, for $75.00 each...
(Expensive Toads, since Bufo marinus are $7.50 each from one of the same dealers)
They were much more colorful than some of the pictures I've seen online of them...they were bright green with yellow spots...real nice looking toads...
I considered starting a little colony of them, but I had too many herps already at the time, next time they're offered, I may get a few...
(one thing that bothers me about Toads is that generally when you pick them up they piss, I guess as a defense) :)
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: BlueDeer ]

i have a question though wouldnt it be dangerous to milk the toad ?
Toads don't generally bite, the venom is in glands on the Toads body, it's mainly used as a defense against smaller animals (such as if a dog or any other animal happens to pick the Toad up in its mouth).
http://members.cox.net/toadvenom/
(great site on The Sonoran Desert Toad)
CLICK ON --->
Bufo alvarius: The Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert - This is The Bible, folks.
by Albert Most
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: BlueDeer ]

Ahh, after rereading some of the material, it is correct that the Bufo alvarus is the toad of "recreational" fame and the Bufo marinus not so much. But it is because the Bufo alvarus toad produces 5-Meo-DMT in addition to bufotenin whereas the Bufo marinus produces bufotenin but NO 5-Meo-DMT.

The toad is not a pet, it lives for 30 years and takes an awful lot of looking after.
The "high" will almost certainly simply make you very, very ill and you will get no effects from it whatsoever. Forget about it.

The toad is not a pet, it lives for 30 years and takes an awful lot of looking after.
The "high" will almost certainly simply make you very, very ill and you will get no effects from it whatsoever. Forget about it.
False, False, False, and False... ;)
But, if you do plan on getting one in the future, you should definitely research the general husbandry
of these Toads and do your best to replicate it in captivity and give the Toad a good life...After all, an unhealthy venomous snake gives a poorer venom sample (both yield and quality), so I would think that an unhealthy Colorado River Toad would have give a less than desirable venom...
[ 08 January 2003: Message edited by: BlueDeer ]

Trust me. Once you sample toad venom you will never want to sample it a second time.

Bufo Alvarius or bufo marinus

From personal expericne which toad is better to milk for DMT?

Last edited:
It is 5-meo-dmt and bufotenine that are the primary alkaloids in the taod venom. Also, I was under the impression that b. marinus did not contain these drugs. Either way, it is very difficult to tell b. alivarus and b. marinus apart. Many that are sold as one are actually the other. Isn't b. marinus the invasive toad everyone has problems with in Aus (cane toad?)? If so, im pretty sure its inactive.

Yeah the marinus is the "cane toad" that every one hates, but from my research both contain the properties. I called a pet shop and I have 5 bufo alvarius ordered. The clerk said " u know their toxic?" I replied, " yeah but I need some to curb my insect problem and their very durable, large, and cool looking". So he was like "they will be in 5 five days at 5 dollars a pop". He can get both types of toad so I'm perplexed.

Wow.. I'd be suspicious. The best price I could find for a breedeing pair of authentic b. alivarus was $150 a piece. A lot of shops that claim to have them actually have b. marinus.

Well the cane toad is supposed to work to. HMMMM. Ill take pictures of both kinds of toads to the shop and and go from there.

Animal rights is not the issue. Venom can be acquired from the toad in a humane manner, and if I am not mistaken, bufo alivarus is either endangered or protected, so the captive propogation is necessary. I don't tthink that it should matter if herpetologists or stoners are the ones responsible for saving the species.