• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is buprenorphine recreational (and dose/safety)

Anon54

Ex-Bluelighter
at www.dictionary.com it says bupe is an opiate used medicinally as a powerful analgesic

I had some oxy a few weeks ago but i rarely use oxy & I took it the next day. im assuming ya dont get participated w/d from only taking oxy once & than dosing the bupe the next day.

anyways, Ive only been taking codeine lately. My mate has a heap of bupe tablets. I think he said they were 8mg, but im not sure. Does that sound correct?

anyways, do they have any recreational value at all?

according to the BL opiate conversion chart:
Oxycodone - 20 mg
Buprenorphine - 0.3 mg

so if my calculations are correct 8mg of bupe equals 533mg of oxy.
that cant be correct can it?
160mg of oxy is the highest amount i can handle without getting sick yet i tried the bupe once before taking 16mg Sublingual & i can tell u i barely felt anything. it certainly didnt feel like over a gram of oxy which is insane

what would be a good recreational dose of bupe to a fairly non-tolerant user?
like i said i can handle 160mg of oxy though but a rarely take it. i only usually take 400mg of codeine. Is bupe atleast more recreational than codeine? My mate says he doesnt even want them cuz he's used to taking oxy so i can take them off him if i want but after my last experience with them i think they're pretty useless. maybe i got the dose wrong. they might have been 0.8mg pills or something. thats if they come in that dose. anyways i cant really remember what dose he said they were. I THINK he said 8mg but if they were i would have OD'd according to the BL opiate converter!

Do u think i could be mistaken with the dose. Do they come in 0.8mg pills or what?

Last edited:
Bupe is not recreational. You may feel somewhat of an opiate feeling initially but in order to get a proper opiate high you would need to take enough bupe so that the radio of the naloxone in the pill would block the opiods and cause you to feel sick.

Bupe is best used as a life saving device for when you are ready to get off opiates.

i forgot to say it's subutex, not suboxone or whatever its called & i think it only contains bupe

^ the naloxone has zero effect actually - buprenorphine has a higher affinity for opioid receptors than it does, so it doesn't get a look-in..

Buprenorphine is a funny one. It's a partial agonst only and conversion from a full agonist to bupe is tricky and doesn't always work, as you found. Sometimes people find that low doses (<2mgs, 1mg is good) actually have more of an effect than higher ones as at this level you get some full-agonist effects from one of buprenorphine's metabolites, norbuprenorphine. At higher doses this doesn't really have a significant effect. I would try a lower dose and see what you think. I have a pretty high tolerance but I stick to 1-2mg doses generally..

stardust.hero makes a good point though - not everyone finds bupe recreational; even though I like it, it is definitely not on a par with many full-agonsts.

^^I did find it semi recreational especially for sleeping. I only got a semi-nod during sleep and it did put me in a general good mindset. Nothing too serious though. I got sick many times (overloaded feeling hard to explain) with what I would imagine was too much, not sure if it was the naloxone in the suboxone or bupe overload. I loved it for sleeping though.

~2mg bupe insufflated. Id recommend DPH for potentian and the itch. The more norbuprenorphine, as effie said, the more full agonist effects which utilizes bupe's recreational potential. Im a fan of bupe although its odd and stimulating.

so.. the lower doses are more recreational?
is it more recreational than 400mg of codeine.
what would be the optimum dose for recreation?

I mean i can break a 8mg in half but if 2mg is more recreational i can break it into quarters.
I dont really like snorting, even if it has a higher bioavailability it doesnt matter cuz i can just take more

stardust hero said it is atleast good for sleeping. well ive been having trouble sleeping.

i took 150mg of valium & still kept waking up. i must admit that temazepam helps me sleep though. but its known as the sleepy benzo & is often prescribed for sleeping rather than anxiety cuz it doesnt interfere with REM sleep.

anyways yeah i can easily get the 8mg bupe pills. i find it hard to beleive that lower doses are more recreational. & btw it didnt help with my opiate cravings. i still felt like some codeine & the taste of bupe is disgusting!

can someone clear this up for me?
suboxone contains naloxone & bupe?
subutex just contains bupe?
correct?
I'll do a bit of reading about naloxone cuz i dont know what it does
edit: ok i did a bit of reading on wiki about naloxone. isnt it obvious its the naloxone blocking the effects of other opiates & not the bupe?
or does the bupe also take over all the opiate receptors.
would bupe be recreational if it didnt contain naloxone?

is subutex only recreational is small doses because the naloxone mixed with it isnt taken in a high enough dose to block the effects?

edit: dont worry i got my answer:
http://www.narconon.ca/subutex.htm
Buprenorphine, sold under the trade name Subutex, is a long-acting opiate primarily used to treat narcotic (opioid) dependence. It is most commonly sold as a pill that dissolves under the tongue. Its main purpose is to prevent withdrawal symptoms from occurring in an individual, by stimulating the opiate receptors in the brain. Subutex has a greater attraction to the opiate receptors than other drugs such as heroin and methadone, which reduces or removes the desire to take such drugs.

Subutex binds so tightly to the opiate receptors, that taking heroin or methadone will have little or no effect. This drug is generally used in narcotic drug treatment programs, and prescribed in varying doses. The effects of subutex are less pronounced than those of other opiates, giving the individual the feeling of being somewhat "normal" once more.

Suboxone is a variant of subutex, containing an additional ingredient called naloxone. It is the form generally given to patients. Its effects are the same as Subutex.

I still dont understand why smaller doses can be more recreational!
can someone explain this to me because it doesnt make sense!

Last edited:
The naloxone is non-effective due to the binding affinities of the bupe, it saturates the receptors also blocking full agonist opis unless it's taken at a lower dosage (such as the suggested 2mg or less) that way norbupe can take affect.

Yes, subutex contains just buprenorphine, but either way there's no difference. Naloxone is not active in suboxone.

Both are equally potentially as recreational.

i find suboxone recreational, though i do tend to combine subs with many other drugs 8)

Bupe is recreational if you have a low tolerance. If you need to take more than 2 mg to get high it's probably time to give up.

I still dont understand why smaller doses can be more recreational!
can someone explain this to me because it doesnt make sense!

It's not so much that lower doses are more recreational, it's more that higher doses are no more recreational than the lower doses, but with higher doses comes more negative side effects, making the low doses better for recreational purposes.

The ceiling dose of the analgesic effects is only about 4mg, which is another reason why higher doses are not any better when using the drug recreationally. The higher doses are more for treating cravings, and blocking other opiates better/longer than at low doses.

As for the conversion charts, the equivalent doses listed are for therapeutic doses. It does not mean that X dose of this drug will get you as high as Y dose of that drug. Another huge factor is that buprenorphine is a partial agonist, so it's dosage effects do not increase in a linear dosage response curve like full agonists do. Therefore you cannot say that since 0.3mg of buprenorphine = 20mg of oxycodone that 8mg of buprenorphine would = 533mg of oxycodone. You can compare low doses of buprenorphine with low doses of other opiates, but since they do not respond the same as the dose increases, they cannot be compared at higher doses in the same way.

Last edited:
That 0.3:20 ratio, IIRC, is IV:pO...buprenorphine's potency practically doubles when IV'ed or IM'ed...whereas even if oxy was IV'ed or IM'ed, it will only increase the bioavailability from around 85% to 100%

On a side note, I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned that naloxone barely crosses the blood brain barrier at all when taken orally...it's actually even used for opioid induced constipation as it will only bind to the mu-opioid receivers that run through your digestive tract, thereby pretty much negating any constipating effect the opioid in question has on the user...