• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs 5-Methyl-Ethylone

I'm stupidly skeptial of all of these low-ish postcount trip reports. Hell, I haven't posted in a good year or so and logged in to mention this.

It's completely silly to even consider taking these seriously until some older members post.

Just about all threads on newer RCs get this same sort of posting pattern. Rarely any credible members; and mostly people with 0 - 10 posts, or folk and a few with no more than a hundred or so.

And damnit, if I was paid to write a quick review on something, I'd do it exactly like these newer posters - a bit of negative to make it sound convincing, but generally pretty darn good.

Why the hell would someone join to just post a review on a thread in ODD? Most people join asking really obvious questions before they eventually post a report.

I'm stupidly skeptial of all of these low-ish postcount trip reports. Hell, I haven't posted in a good year or so and logged in to mention this.

It's completely silly to even consider taking these seriously until some older members post.

Just about all threads on newer RCs get this same sort of posting pattern. Rarely any credible members; and mostly people with 0 - 10 posts, or folk and a few with no more than a hundred or so.

And damnit, if I was paid to write a quick review on something, I'd do it exactly like these newer posters - a bit of negative to make it sound convincing, but generally pretty darn good.

Why the hell would someone join to just post a review on a thread in ODD? Most people join asking really obvious questions before they eventually post a report.

I recognize a lot of these reviewers from other sites where consumption talk isn't allowed. That is why people come here to talk about these things seemingly out of nowhere. Some of the names in this thread with low post counts are established members on other sites. Some trip reports could be bullshit, but I have no reason to believe that since they basically all describe the way I felt on this substance with a few personal differences. I've been posting here for almost two years and I don't work for anyone. This stuff is just pretty damn good if you're into stuff like this. All the trip reports seem quite genuine.

here is yet another report from a low post count'er, because as stated before the site where i would have rather posted this to does not allow this kind of discussion.

most of this post i will be copying and pasting from another forum and from private correspondence with a friend. the pm's posted are only my own writing.

tested with marquis reagent, i only had that available. gave a clear yellow fizzing reaction, just like methylone. took a 7mg allergy dose, waited 4-5hrs, and insnufflated 166mg. i had read reports of oral use being more effective, and higher doses being required, but nasal was my favorite ROA with both m1 and 4-mmc, so for the sake of comparison i went the nasal route. i decided to keep the dose low because it was such a new compound. the effects came on more slowly and with much less rush than m1 or 4-mmc. i vomited when i hit my peak, but i wouldnt be to concerned about that, as i am prone to vomiting with alot of drugs, and have vomited from good quality 4-mmc while friends i gave the same dose to did not. at that point the effects seemed to fade slightly, and i insufflated another 65mg. the drips from this drug were awful, pain like 4-mmc but longer lasting, and with a significant long lasting burn. i dont think this material is going to be very healthy to insufflate. effects lasted 2-3 hrs, and while the tactile sensation was about on par with m1, i found the euphoria to be lacking. good, but lacking. this test run became botched however, as i was toying with making an vinyl hose attachment for my n2o dispenser, and broke it, repaired it, and sent 2 cartridges thru the dispenser to test if i had repaired it correctly, and once i did that whippet, the euphoria bottomed out until i did more, and more, etc...im sure n2o users have experienced this with other drugs.

my second trial began with 260mg oral, and 50mg nasal upon coming up from the oral dose. with a higher oral dose, and not using n2o, the euphoria was much better. i still found the tactile sensation to be the same as methylone, but the "magic" and euphoria to be lesser. its kind of a neat trick for commercial vendors...on the outside the product mimics methylone very well...but just as psychedelic users find with mescaline or LSD vs. RC's...the magic just isnt there. there was a slight visual aspect, but not much. everything was brighter, mildly defined, and i also had a mild sense of "awe and wonder" i get from true psychedelics like LSD or 2c-x.

starting about 1-1.5hrs after the 5ME kicked in, the strong urge to redose began. the amount i ingested was the whole rest of the bag so i could not redose, but the desire was clearly there. the high was better without taking the n20 beforehand, and i was able to enjoy it without just wanting whippets, but after a bit of time passed, the "falling off the cliff" feeling started, and was about the same as i experience with M1.

honestly with 2 uses i can say i find 5ME to have the least desirable comedown out of 5ME, 4-MMC, and M1. now for the ambiguity, i seem to have the opposite reaction to 4-MMC and M1 that alot of folks get...with 4-MMC i have no urge to redose, no crash, no comedown, i just drift peacefully to sleep and wake up the next day feeling as though i had a cup of tea and went to bed early the night before, not stayed up for hours on a cathinone. i actually find M1 much more compulsive than 4-MMC, and oftentimes ive redosed to the point of being worried about the dose getting to high(im very careful, a dose that worries me is likely commonplace for many cathinone users fwiw), and will continue to use M1 and nitrous until the M1 stops producing euphoric effects and im out of n20. i also notice more of a space out, and mental after effects(never had depression, just spacy, "cracked out") the next day with m1 than with 4-MMC.

so i dont get what others have been stating as minimal after effects, no desire to redose, but then again i do not experience this effect with 4-mmc, and seem to experience it more than most with methylone. but none-the-less after about an hour and a half i did experience a significant drop in euphoria, general blah feeling, and desire for more.

another interesting, and disappointing item to note is that i had alot of trouble sleeping. i usually pass out right when i hit the pillow when sober, it takes 30min to an hr when im on LSD or mescaline, and with empathogens, after any initial stimulation has worn off, i can usually get to sleep in 20-30min. with the 5ME it took a good 1-2hrs to fall asleep, and when i did, i slept very lightly, to the point where i was almost still slightly conscious, and woke up 3 or 4 times during the 7 hours i slept, however while sober i do not wake up, ever. being a cannabis smoker allows me to have no sleep problems whatsoever.

over 12 hours after ingestion i am still experiencing a rapid heart rate, and a "small penis", indicative of vasocontriction. i dont remember if 4-mmc or methylone producing rapid heart rate or vasoconstriction into the next day, but it has been some time since i tried either, and i could just not be remembering correctly. also experiencing more stiffness and tension the next day than i would with methylone or 4-mmc.

5ME is much higher cost than methylone or 4-mmc as well, even at my 300mg dose i would have perhaps liked 400mg. i should have eaten the whole 300mg, but was concerned about overloading with a new substance...compared to all other empathogens ive used 300mg seems high for a starting dose. the vendor of this compound recommends 500mg for m1 like effect and touts it as amazing, and to me it sort of seems absurd...yeah, duh! no one is getting exited over something like butylone as having magical m1 like effect, but im sure if you necked 500mg at once you'd be feeling damn fantastic!!!

the vendor is claiming its price is fair because it is only a few dollars for a few hours of great effects, and i see killermunchies here claiming it is alot cheaper than mdma, but honestly, if 4-500mg is a full, strong dose, which according to my trials, it will be for me @ least, it costs $10-$12 for a full dose, which IME is the same as "molly", powdered mdma, claimed to be of reasonable purity. i just got 4-EMC that will cost $1.5-$2 per strong dose. actual m1 could be had @ under $5 per strong dose. so compared to all other compounds with similar structure, it simply costs more. hell, my 25i-nbome costs about $.25-.50 per strong dose, that usually lasts a good 8-10 hours, and although totally different and tough to compare, the effects are alot more engaging than 5ME. compared to pretty much all other RC's, its not cheap for a few hours of great(great being a subjective quote, IME it is simply good) effects.

all in all i dont see any reason to use this over M1, even taking into consideration legal status and difficulty obtaining it. it just does not seem to have any advantages over m1, but rather several strong disadvantages, such as cost, the others mostly relating to the history of use and safety profile of M1 vs. the unknown nature of 5ME.

This compound doesn't seem to work like that. Spreading it out definitely diminishes effects significantly.

One big 300-500mg dose is much, much better than a few smaller doses.

It also combines well with 2-FMA or 4-FA if you want a little more push.

Read Una's report to get the idea.
No. Stop basically promoting another chemical that you can mix with it. Noone knows shit about 5ME except its what R-MMC turned out to Really be. Its catching my attention but I really think its so lame for users to Already doing combos with it. If its TRULY better than M1 like its being badically broadcasted being, then it should be fine alone..

i dont think all combos with 5ME are ill advised but RC amphetamines, and other cathinones(one vendor has been recommending a butylone+5ME combo, even going so far as to consider offering pressed pills containing the two, and after my posting a link to a fatal combination of methylone and butylone in doses pretty similar to what he was discussing for 5ME and butylone, respectively, i received no response...) certainly seems like a bad idea.

as stated i used nitrous oxide and smoked cannabis throughout. the last trial run i did, after the effects began to diminish, 3-4 hours after peak, i used ketamine, after researching any possible interactions with ketamine and cathinones, or any other drug. after finding very little info, and considering ketamine is widely used and researched in the medical world, and typically known to combine well with almost any drug except for despressants, which the combo could simply lead to an unwanted increase in effects from the depressant. so i began with 10mg, waiting 30min, and then went for another 40mg. another 30min passed and i used 15mg. so if drugs commonly known to be safe in combinations with drugs similar to the RC you are using are used, in low doses with a very small tester dose beforehand, preferably with benzos on hand, it does not seem like a very dangerous situation. my preference for empathogens is combining with LSD, during the last few hours of the trip. with 5ME i would not be comfortable using it in this way to be sure...several years of very successful use would have to pass for me to even consider it. MDMA and MDA are a bit long acting and overwhelming to mix with LSD. i want at least a good 5-6 hours of pure acid experience, and by the time 5-6 hours have passed im usually not up for 4-8 hours(depending on mda or mdma) or rolling...4-mmc is still a bit unresearched for my tastes, and it is a known vasoconstrictor, and im worried the L could potentiate this greatly...so i like m1, its not a big overpowering experience like mdma, just a fun addition to lighter, more party oriented trips.

also, in theory the ketamine could be contributing to my perception of the after effects of 5ME, however i am generally experienced with ketamine, and combinations including it, and would not attribute any next day spaciness, rapid heartbeat or vasoconstriction to the ketamine. i experienced all these effects on my first trial run, during which i did not use ketamine, and although some nitrous oxide was used, it was a very reasonable amount toward the beginning of the experience and i couldnt imagine any lingering effect from nitrous any more than a few hours after use.

I'm not impressed with this substance at all, though its only fault is not living up to the hype it generated in the last two weeks. I nominate 5-methyl-ethylone for 'most over-hyped research chemical of 2012.' And yikes is it ever so hard on the cost-dosage ratio

Last edited:
Structurally speaking (I haven't had any "reactions" = experiences with this one) I too find it quite hard to believe that a 5-methylated-beta-ketone analogue to MDEA (which is, in all it's glory, already known as a watered down Methylone in terms of recreational potential).

The only vendor I've been able to dig up seems incredibly sketchy to me - no structure, IUPAC, HPLC or other analysis reference are given - all the whilst this doesn't exactly look like it has potency on it's side either.. well..

Not touching this.

Damn, I knew this sounded too good. I emailed a few EU vendors if they are going to introduce this and they weren't exactly eager. And one of them said that current vendor of 5-ME isn't trustworthy, go figure

Damn, I knew this sounded too good. I emailed a few EU vendors if they are going to introduce this and they weren't exactly eager. And one of them said that current vendor of 5-ME isn't trustworthy, go figure

Because vendors never trash other vendors...

Structurally speaking (I haven't had any "reactions" = experiences with this one) I too find it quite hard to believe that a 5-methylated-beta-ketone analogue to MDEA (which is, in all it's glory, already known as a watered down Methylone in terms of recreational potential).

5-ME is definitely better than ethylone. I liked ethylone though, unlike a lot of people, so maybe that's why I like 5-ME. I found the dosage for both to be about the same too, which doesn't seem to be the same for some other people. To each his own I guess. I still think this is the best cathinone since the methylone and 4-mmc ban.

I know they trash each other, that goes with any product not just RCs, the main thing is they don't want to start selling 5-ME at all.

I would think that 2-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxymethcathinone would be a better substitute cathinone than 5-methylethylone, especially potency wise.

ok...comment from a bl veteran

I ordered this compound from no doubt the same vendor others have gotten theirs from.

I have only tried a 250mg dose. The experience was indistinguishable from methylone. Except my body temperature seems affected by this more. I hate typing on this tablet so I'll.leave it at that.

how water soluble is it? I was pretty fond of banging methylone, so if this is as similar as reports indicate I'd probably enjoy it, has anyone IV'd any that could offer me a review of how it worked out for them?

take this for what it is; a second hand review.

I ordered from the vendor that everyone else is referencing, along with some other rc's, with the intent to experiment with some of them last night. Call it a hunch, but I bought into this hype - it just sounded very convincing. Although mdma is my favorite, I currently am staying off of that type of drug. So, I ordered some with the intent of sitting on it for a few months til I'm ready for it. While I was trying out a tryptomine with a friend (Fred) who was sampling my 6-apb, a buddy (Vic) stopped over. Vic has a lot of experience with RC's and other drugs, and after inspecting my choices, was just as curious about the 5me as I was. We agreed to let him take the plunge in the name of research. Vic is about 20 years old, 145lbs, 5'10. I measured him a 250mg dose, which he administered orally on a mostly empty stomach. Vic had not rolled for nearly 7 months prior to this exposure.

Vic noted the substance tasted almost as bad as it smelled, which is pretty damn awful - but we both considered this a good sign. Approximately 30 minutes later, Vic reported a building sensation in his stomach, an anticipation generating from within. 10 minutes later he was no longer talking, but he was definitely feeling good and enjoying the John Digweed podcast I selected. Vic noted a definite increase in body temperature, and often had to step outside to cool off. He sometimes had jaw tremors, and felt the need to stretch his legs often. Going into hour 3, he noted it had leveled off and he was still feeling good, but he was feeling much calmer here. This feeling continued for another hour, until he administered 80mg 6-apb as a booster. Vic noted it no negative interactions between the two, and continued partying but at this point pretty much lost the ability to communicate effectively, but was observed to be having a great time with music and lighting from here until morning, when he left.

I feel really confident after observing this experience that this stuff is the real deal. Unfortunately for me it will be a few months until I can personally verify it.

So me and a friend got some of this together.

I had a missed call from him and he let another buddy of his try it, about half of a 500mg bomb.

About an hour later this friend had a "mild" seizure. I say mild because I was not there to witness it. He got lock jaw and they apparently called his doctor. It subsided after an hour. They said he got extremely rigid and they had to like carry him for him to be able to move and were quite worried about what to do.

I asked what medications he might have been on and they said: levetiracetam, which they said he just started taking and it is an anti seizure medication. I know he also takes xanax as well.

I'm not trying to be vague in any way, I was not there to witness this, they just called me not knowing what to do and I really can't help. As far as i know he has not taken alot of cathinones or related drugs and I'm simply passing on what information is available to me. I can update tomorrow, as far as I know he is ok...

Did this ever occur with other related drugs such as 4-mmc or methylone or is there some possible interaction with what he was taking? I think if he was prone to seizures already maybe taking a stimulant set it off?

I purchased some of this from presumably the same person as everyone else is getting it.

A couple buddies and I tried it out the other day, two of us starting at 200 mg and the other two starting snorting 100 mg and eating another 250 mg. The one's who snorted said that it did seem to come on fast with a tiny rush but nothing too exciting. When the oral doses came on we all agreed that although it was a nice clean mild stimulant it lacked the euphoria that we were hoping for. We did boosters of anywhere from 200-350 mg for the rest of the day and into the night, about 12 hours leading me to believe that this drug is quite a bit moorish. It felt like we I was always right under where I wanted to be and a little bit more might push me up but it never did. After reading other reviews I believe that a single higher dose (350-500) is a better way to go to avoid the redosing.

The side effects while on it seem to be what's to be expected, a little jaw clenching and dehydration but that's about it. However afterwards the dehydration (dry mouth, blood shot eyes, dry skin) got much worse no matter how much water is consumed. The worst after effect is urination problems, it has only occurred to me but I did by far the most on the day that we dosed. The day following I felt like I constantly had to piss but I would get to the toilet and pee would just dribble out. This has continued for five days so far although it seems to be getting a little bit better. I don't have much experience with methylone but after a bit of searching I found similar problems associated with heavy methylone use.

Overall I'd say 5me is very hyped and too expensive for the dose needed.

So any news on this. Heard its illegal in UK already so it likely wont eve have time to spread much....

Probably is going to be obscure as the main source that I am aware of has stopped vending it for the time being. Reports haven't been the most consistent things ever but I haven't played with it since the last time I reported on it on here. Will update if I do but I just don't have the time and other compounds will be researched before this one gets its trial again.