• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

depression and anxiety a month after single mdma use

redtailedhawk

Bluelighter
A good friend took 100 mg + 50mg booster of MDMA about a month ago. The source was reliable and the substance definitely clean MDMA.

3 days after the experience he started to experience deep depression combined with terrible anxiety. The situation eased somewhat in the next week, but even now a month later, he still has problems with both. He mentioned that they're not as severe as in the first week, but still overwhelming from time to time, especially at night.

He's been taking some herbal antidepressants and he says they help somewhat, but not every time and he also says that he's afraid he might experience long-term damage from the MDMA.

Does anybody has any similar experiences and/or advice on how to handle this? Does it ease on its own in time?

Thanks!

It will ease with time if he avoids MDMA and all serotonin antagonists. Sounds like his serotonin system is already somewhat debilitated if he has pre-existing depression. MDMA will make it worse in most cases.

He should focus on healthy diet, exercise, healthy mental activity (like meditation, art, beauty, etc.), and make sure he has a support network of people he can talk to. Nothing worsens depression more than isolation. The receptor tree in his brain will need time to heal and regenerate, and that takes time. 3-6 months is ideal in most cases, but for most people it can take years.

If his depression is severe he should consider anti-depressants like SSRIs. They're not the greatest (for many reasons) but they do force the brain to re-utilize what serotonin is there so that the receptors which are still active can maximize the neuro-transmitter. I've read some research which shows that SSRIs can help rebuild the serotonin receptor tree but I'm dubious. It's something the brain does anyway on its own so it's mostly a correlation IMO.

5-htp can help replenish serotonin, but again the issue is the receptors and not necessarily the supply of serotonin itself.

If your friend suffers from serious depression he should probably avoid MDMA at all costs in the future. i.e. never take it again.

Thanks Foreigner. I really appreciate your in-depth advice! :D I'll let my friend know.

B vitamins seriously help a lot with MDMA recovery, lots of B vitamins and fish oils. It will still be a long process before he feels semi normal, but you have to tell him to keep him self busy and not to keep looking for abnormal feelings with him self.

i took 1 high dose of mdma a couple years back and overheated. I have recovered at best 30% over 6 years.

Molly can be a real bitch to enjoyment of life after having taking it.. Healthy diet, physic activity and avoiding consuming again is the way..