Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD & Intelligence / IQ

WalleyBFeed

Bluelighter
LSD increases iq?

I heard there was a study done a long time ago by Timothy Leary where lsd increased the test subject's iq scores by an average of 10%. Has anyone here experienced similar cognative enhancing effects of LSD?

1.) Any study involving Timothy Leary isn't worth a damn. :\

2.) Yes, I feel that in my own mind, LSD usage has unlocked a capacity for abstract thought that I previously didn't have (or it was simply inaccessible to me). The only way I can describe this phenomenon is that I can "think without words," penetrating directly into a concept without the barriers of spoken language to guide me. This has transferred over into my everyday life, as my ability and interest in mathematics, engineering, and science increased dramatically after I became aware of this dormant ability. Now, I'm not saying that LSD makes you smarter -- I don't think it does that -- but I do think that LSD has the ability to dramatically change the way your brain processes stimuli which could have a beneficial impact on how you process academic subjects. Its kind of hit or miss, though.

I don't believe IQ to be worth much. I'm certain I would score lower on it now than when in college or even high school. I'm far more wise now than then. Many of the tasks on IQ tests can be learned tasks. I could go on to excuse that it doesn't account for gender differences and what not, but I do super-dooper swell at them so meh!

Timothy Leary may not have been the best researcher. He did just invent results in the often cited "LSD cures alcoholism!" study. What LSD does to you and what you do to your own mind as a result of LSD influenced thinking is complex, but I would highly doubt it increases IQ. I know and have met plenty of complete idiots that munch vast quantities of acid. I made doughnuts today for the first time. Worthwhile, but never again. See? I knew I'd feel sick from the grease yet I made them anyways. LSD doesn't do a damn thang. Case closed.

Peace,
PL

2.) Yes, I feel that in my own mind, LSD usage has unlocked a capacity for abstract thought that I previously didn't have (or it was simply inaccessible to me). The only way I can describe this phenomenon is that I can "think without words," penetrating directly into a concept without the barriers of spoken language to guide me. This has transferred over into my everyday life, as my ability and interest in mathematics, engineering, and science increased dramatically after I became aware of this dormant ability. Now, I'm not saying that LSD makes you smarter -- I don't think it does that -- but I do think that LSD has the ability to dramatically change the way your brain processes stimuli which could have a beneficial impact on how you process academic subjects. Its kind of hit or miss, though.

That is a fuckin excellent way to put it :)

I tend to think that iq deals with a specific type of intelligence, so it's not necessarily a full picture of someone's intelligence, but I have noticed that psychedelics can sort of, as stated above by Roger&Me influence the way a person processes stimulus and so can have positive mental effects. At the same time they can also have negative effects on logic too, and I know many very irrational, superstitous people who use a lot of LSD.

Agree, i feel its allowed for a similar effect with myself to happen. ;)

I can "think without words,"

Me too! But then when you try to explain the things you thought about to someone else, it gets really really hard...

Point 1 is sadly true. He skewed results involving psilocybin & prisoner rehabilitation and some other results by not retaining scientific objectivity and has been tarred with it ever since. Perfect example of what happens when an ego overrides a true scientific investigation.

As to point 2, it's someting that is outside the scope of most intelligence type testing as what it seems to change (well in me at least) is the capacity to see links between things that were beforehand obscured. I'm fairly sure that's why some people lose the plot - they start seeing links that don't exist...

I have to put in a good word for Leary. Robert Anton Wilson's eight-circuit model of consciousness is based on Leary's ideas, and it's incredibly interesting. Alright I'm done.

The weeks following a good, relaxed trip I always seem to be able to think clearer. But I would have to agree with the effects as Roger&Me put it. Just seems to make me feel a bit sharper as well.

I think abuse (which to me would be more than once a fortnight for extended periods of time) would lead to the opposite of this effect, however.

I think abuse (which to me would be more than once a fortnight for extended periods of time) would lead to the opposite of this effect, however.

I might be experiencing the brunt of this. LSD has a tendency to allow me to think more clearly, allow for greater memory recall and the use of specific words to describe sequence's or actions. I've felt more 'tuned in' and 'alert'.. my thoughts have been more rapid and it's actually been rather easy for me to describe my thoughts to someone without much hesitation involved ( i love this hehe )

But recently i indulged 5 weekends in a row.. i don't think i've necessarily had the opposite effect, but what i have experienced is chronic 'up' and 'downs' with emotions.. stemming from feeling majorly depressed 1 day to excessively happy and full of motivation the next day. This sounds a bit like bipolar i know.. but i don't think it is.. i'd need to see this through more. But excessive use can have somewhat of a negative effect.. i've seen in first hand with many people i know.

This might not even be related to my use.. but thought i'd add my 2 cents in here anyway :)

^Pretty typical symptomology of LSD overuse I would say. When I have a decent sized stash I tend to trip frequently, and sometimes at some pretty hefty doses -- LSD is really one of the few psychedelics I feel I can personally do this with. Its so easily directable and exponentially chill for me, even in large doses, all I need is music and a bike to ride or a cool trail to hike. :) But I must admit I do get somewhat "intense" if you will haha, during periods of heavy psychedelic use -- I spend a lot of time entertaining bizarre thought processes, and I tend to get much more manic than usual and have frequent daydreams of personal grandeur (that weird ego rebound effect ie. timothy leary) -- these symptoms usually dissipate a few weeks after I stop tripping face every weekend.

Perhaps being given the potential for a kind of abstract perspective upon otherwise mundane things in life is in a way more important than an increase in IQ. I've heard about early usages of LSD in which rather than requiring hours of psychotherapy to regress mental patients into a comfortable state, LSD was able to simply unlock their subconscious thoughts

LOL i wouldn't trust Timothy Leary too much for this sort of statistic.. he's a clever bloke don't get me wwrong, but i think saying LSD increases you IQ by 10% is kindof ridiculous