• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How-To prepare liquid Morphine from time released tablets

tricomb

Bluelight Crew
How-To prepare liquid Morphine from time released tablets, a step by step guide by Tricomb

Attention
By reading past this point, you agree to the terms and conditions of this guide, which are listed as follows:
1) You will read this guide in it's entirety
2) You will read every link in this post
3) You have read the BLUA and OD Guidelines

Introduction
I've seen alot of bad advice given on the subject and thought I would give some insight.

254px-Morphin_-_Morphine.svg.png
Image courtesy of Wikipedia

Morphine Sulphate is the "gold standard" pain medication, tried and true, been around in it's isolated form since the 1800's, and has been used as an active ingredient in opium poppies for millenia, dating back thousands of years BCE.

It has Pro's and Con's like every other opiate, and one well known Con is it's poor oral bioavailability ~20-30%. Also, morphine is subject to very high rates of first pass metabolism, taken orally.

This guide is written with the intention for the end solution to be administered rectally (or orally/nasal/whatever). The solution should not be injected because if your prep-process is not sterile, you could introduce bacteria, which isn't a problem in the rectum, but should not be injected. I do not condone the abuse of morphine for recreational purposes, nor the use of IV outside of a hospital setting. However, in spirits of harm reduction since we know people are still going to abuse morphine pills, and not everyone will use chemistry to their advantage by using toluene to perform an extraction, so I thought I would write this guide to minimize harm in hopes to deter IV abuse (I've noticed a trend of threads which instruct readers to apply heat when prepping pharmaceutical tablets for injection, which is a horrible idea, read more about why you should not apply heat to pain pills for injection. )

Taking the medication rectally is safer than IV. It has some advantages including increased bioavailability, faster onset of action, improved tolerance of side effects like nausea, a good way to get relief after eating a big meal, and longer duration.

By following this guide, you can turn your time released morphine into an aqueous instant release morphine solution.

What you'll need:

Morphine sulphate time release pills. In this guide, I will be working with the Mallinckrodt [M] 60mg orange MS ER tablets.
NSFW:
doc192189.jpg

Sterile oral syringe (recommended 1-5mL if using 60mg of morphine or less. Solubility of Morphine Sulphate = ~60mg/1mL)
99% Isopropyl alcohol
Pill crusher or an equivalent
Sterile vial/container (You can use an empty prescription bottle that's been cleaned thoroughly, with isopropyl)
8-12 hours of your time.
Clean water
Sodium Bicarbonate "Baking Soda" [OPTIONAL]
pH measuring strips [OPTIONAL]

Objective
Allow the pill's time release the time needed to release all the morphine, leaving an aqueous instant release morphine solution.

+OPTIONAL: Seeing as morphine is better absorbed in a slightly alkaline solution, for increased absorption, use pH strips and sodium bicarb to bring your sterile water to a pH of about 7.5, 8 is fine. Be sure to measure pH before and after the morphine is added to the solution.

The process
note: NOT FOR IV USE. Do not IV solutions that have been soaking due to risk of bacteria.
Step 1: Ensure all equipment is sterile, wash hands.
Step 2: Use isopropyl alcohol swab to remove the coating on your morphine.
Step 3: Use the pill crusher or manually crush the tablet into a fine powder
Step 4: Transfer the powdered morphine sulphate into the sterilized cooker or in my case, empty prescription bottle.
Step 5: Use your oral syringe to draw up 1mL for every 60mg of morphine sulphate (Remember Water solubility MS 60mg/mL)
Step 6: Transfer your clean water to the cooker/prescription bottle containing the powdered morphine.
Step 7 optional: Mix the solution or cover the prescription bottle and shake.
Step 8: Most important part here, Allow your solution to soak for a minimum of 8 hours, recommended 12. I find it convenient to follow this method before bedtime so that when I wake up this step is done.
If your intention is to IV the morphine against my recommendation, ignoring risk of bacterial infection, YOU MUST USE A MICRON FILTER.
Step 9: After 8-12 hours, administer rectally; you may now draw up the now aqueous morphine solution into your syringe, and plug!

Conclusion and Notes
If you followed this guide in it's entirety you will end up with a liquid solution of morphine.
Note #1: At no point during this process was the solution heated. Opiates are freely soluble in water, adding heat contaminates your solution with waxes, binders, or filler, which is detrimental for IV users, but not as important with rectal ROA.
Note #2: It is critical to micron filter if you intend to IV pills.
Note #3: Please be sure to be caught up in your reading, click every link on this page to be sure.
Note #4: Even when micron filtered, no pill is completely safe to IV, especially when you're administering a solution that has been sitting out for 8-12 hours due to risk of bacteria. Not micron filtering is irresponsible and exponentially more dangerous and drastically increases the chances of both short and long-term health problems like pulmonary edema.
Note #5: If you are having trouble with it gelling, you're not using enough water. I suggested 1mL for every 60mg, but obviously if you're working with MS ER 15mg's you're going to need to use more than 1mL, probably 4mL of water, one for each pill of morphine. The reason I say 1mL and 60mg of morphine is because morphine is fully saturated in water at 60mg/mL (solubility at ph7)

Related Reading on IV complications.

Alternative Prep Processes- By following the same basic procedure, you can tweak a few bits and see what works best for you. I've been doing a lot of trial and error about things (pH, heat, etc) like:
A) Same as above, but waiting less than 8 hours. I still believe that the best effects come from the original procedure.
B) Adding the crushed morphine to hot (not boiling) water
C) Different pH levels, I've tried 7, 8, and 9, and have gotten best results from pH 8.

pubmed on pH affecting rectal administration of morphine in man

Why you don't heat these:
Written for opiophile, but decided I'd post it here as well :)
Introduction & Context
I recently attended a pill injection workshop in Australia, among the people at this workshop, there was a man called Dr. Bruno Raimondo, him and his team are running research into opioid pills such as OxyContin, MSContin and Subutex and the effectiveness of filtering. In the morphine forum I already summarized a document he did, I managed to obtain a copy of the slides he used at the presentation, although he has not released the formal version (which I will link to when he has) of the research, the slides he has emailed me are sufficient for the information people need to know.
Too long didn't read:
Don't heat pills, 2-3ml of water soaking your finely powdered pill, with a 1ml rinse through your filter (SHOULD be using a wheel filter) will give you the best results. Wheel filters are necessity they don't retain any drug (95-99% is let through, cotton filters let through less). Expect health problems down the road if you shoot cotton filtered pills.
Harms of pill injection
Injecting pills (or anything) can result in contaminants entering your body such as insoluble particles or bacteria and fungi. These things can irritate and inflame tissue and veins, cause infections in skin/muscle (granuloma, abscess). They can also result in local and systemic infection from the bacteria/fungi.

Insoluble and undissolved particles can cause microcirculation capillaries (5-10um) to become blocked, they clog up in the heart and lungs. Granulomas in the lungs are caused by inflammation which leads to scar tissue (fibrosis). Congmomerate masses lead to restrictive lung disease and pulmonary hypertension. The particles also reach other organs (liver, kidney etc).

Key particles in pills (OxyContin, MSContin, Subutex)
iMr8h.png

Other insoluble particles included are:
Magnesium stearate (5-30um)
Titanium dioxide (100um clumps) (ms, oxy)
Other particles that change form in heat are:
Stearyl alcohol MP is 59*C (ms, oxy)
Eudragit RS 30D clumps at >30*C (oxy)

All these particles cause problems in your heart, lungs and other organs, the chemicals that change form in heart are the reasons why pills should NOT be heated, and you will soon find out there is no advantage to heating.

Why pills shouldn't be heated
hvsyT.png

As you can see, of these images under a microscope, heating pill solutions cause enourmous particles to dissolve in the mix. These particles will pass through the filter (wheel or cotton) and recongeal, precipitating out in your filtered mix or veins.

Ok so I shouldn't heat, what about Rollie cigarette filter filtering (or cotton).
nSWUr.png

For comparison: MSContin rollies reduce particles >5um by 60%.

What about the drug retained?
yojge.png

For subutex 97% of the drug is returned in this process.
Drug is not retained in the filter after this, even if the filter is wet.
Wheel filters (and why they rock!)
Here is the solution of two pills under a microscope before and after wheel filtering
DDFwZ.png

But how many particles are removed by the wheel filters?
XMv7e.png

But what about drug recovery
MLOuC.png

For subutex drug recovery is 99%
*Note: One of the researches reminded me to say that when they first did these tests, their technique with wheel filters was poor, and that morphine recovery is more like 95-99%

So as you can see, using wheel filters removes all the particles that cause harm (basically), with a rinse of water after first filter, you can retain 95-99% of the drug (better then a cotton/rollie filter) while removing 99% of the particles that cause harm, and heating is generally a bad idea that does NOT help at all, and does more harm then good.
Note: Hand rolled cigarette filters filter to about 50um.

Another document for the national drug safety council, which focused mainly on morphine and wheel filters, also contains a lot of information. It is located here.

I also posted this in Australian drug discussion but was told to also post it here.

Last edited:
I have put forward the proposal to place this in the OD directory. If it is placed in there would you rather it was closed and archived as a guide, or open for replies?

Would this work with the OP oxycodone? Just making a solution seems easy and extremely effective.

Would this work with the OP oxycodone? Just making a solution seems easy and extremely effective.
This guide is written for the sole intention of use with extended release morphine sulphate. Not OP Oxycontin, not reformulated Opana etc.

I have put forward the proposal to place this in the OD directory. If it is placed in there would you rather it was closed and archived as a guide, or open for replies?

Thankyou mate, open for replies/discussion.

As far as I know they're not reformulating morphine sulphate ER, maybe the brand names but certainly not the countless available generics. If this method does not work for a particular brand, I definitely want that information to be readily available as to reduce harm.

Maybe we can get another thread going on using this for other drugs, but I'm really curious if this same concept could be used for other ER systems.

Sure, if someone knows how to safely defeat Timer-X/INTAC then they can be my guest, but as far as I know there is yet to be a safe guide written to extract oxymorphone or oxycodone into water

^ Yeah, another liquid would probably have to be used. It's not for IV though so it could potentially be something else. I've heard of OPs dissolving in soda.

I thought to beat the OPs you ground them into a fine dust and then microwaved the powder to melt the wax matrix and then dissolved and left it in coke?

Never tested this of course as we dont have OPs in australia.

I honestly don't know how to defeat OxyContin's time release, I take my OxyContin sublingually and hope for the best lol. I don't trust microwaves with opiates as heat destroys opiates, and I don't drink soda :p

I HAVE used the above guide with limited to moderate success with old formulation octagonal Opana ER, although once again, this guide is not intended for that purpose. I don't know if it's effective like it is with morphine sulphate ER.

edit:

How do I add the tags for NSFW? I want the image of the [M]60 NSFW'd

Last edited:
I added the NSFW tags.

[ NSFW ] [ /NSFW ]

Remove the spaces when you type it and you're good to go.

Thankyou kindly good sir

edit: added 1st pass metabolism effect.

Last edited:
Tripman, in australia do you have an equivalent of oxycodone?

We have oxycontin 80's and 40's.

Oxynorm 10's and 20's...

Endone 5mgs..

Yeah we have oxy...

Forgive me, I meant an equivalent for OxyContin. Do you have the OP kind? or the desirable easy to ab/use kind

So, the morphine sulphate dissolves into the water, and the binders and fillers fall into the bottom of the cup?

We have the oxycontin kind before they switched to OP still i think...

They definitely didn't change to OPs here and that is all i know.

all the morphine and water soluble inactives dissolve, which is why you must micron filter if injecting, but when plugging its perfectly fine for the binders to tag along

Forgive me, I meant an equivalent for OxyContin. Do you have the OP kind? or the desirable easy to ab/use kind

I have a box (empty) in front of me and it says...

OXYCONTIN TABLETS
controlled release
each tablet contains oxycodone hydrochloride 80mg
28 tablets

Thats all ive ever seen lately
When i first started they were called M.S contin...I dont see them anymore...I also had a brief period about 10 years ago on M.S Mono...120mg...They were capsules you opened and just emptied into the spoon..Havent see the last two i mentioned in 10 years...

Isn't MS Mono the same thing as MS contin, but Instead of the mophine being released over 12 hours, it's over 24?

Updated:
+Terms and Conditions
+Note #4

Last edited:
^^ Yeah i guess..Just a capsule and not a pill...Anyone ever get them anymore? Or hear of them still around?