Bluelight

Thread: Xanax makes me sleepy

1. Collapse Details
    Xanax makes me sleepy 
    I have been presribed 2mg Zanax, but it makes me super sleepy.

I have tried less dose, like half and half--half but I am like a zombie anyway.

The reason I need benso is because of my anxiety and panic attacks sometimes.
    But also to be more outgoing and talk active and have some kind of feeling of euphoria.

Which other benso do you recommend if I dont want to feel sleepy, but have more energy, outgoing and also get rid of the anxiety?

I know there are so many, but which one will you feel like this one?

2. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    European & African Drug Discussion
    Down South where they use the slide machine
    How long have you been taking it ?

3. Collapse Details

Took it for a few months 2,5 years ago. And now this time only 2 weeks...
    Need something that makes me me euphoric and outgoing and at the same time get rid if the anxiety

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Basic Drug Discussion
    Your best bet is to speak to your doctor about switching you to a less-sedating benzodiazepine (lorazepam/Ativan comes to mind) or a non-benzo anxiety drug...

BDD Guidelines! - BLUA - BL Search! - Conversions for Opiates & Benzos - Save Your Liver Do a CWE

5. Collapse Details

^^I thought lorazepam is notorious for being one of the most sedating benzos...

6. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    I used to abuse Xanax (intra-nasally) and never felt sleepy, bit motor impaired and got what I wanted from it effects wise, but when popping Xanax I noticed that I was feeling rather like a zombie most of the time, but then I discovered that a 2mg dose and a SMALL tin of red bull or other energy drink helped me feel more active and talkative, just keep in mind to keep it to a minimum as I'm not to sure what caffeine and xanax do to each other in the body and I would hate to give you advice that would negatively impact your health, but it's only a suggestion because it worked for me

7. Collapse Details

after a while the sleepy affects will pass. It took about a week for me, or try another drug, and talk to your docter.

8. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    European & African Drug Discussion
    Down South where they use the slide machine
    I'd go with talking to your doctor to find a drug that suits you better, I still get sleepy from Diaz and I've been hitting it pretty hard for sometime so those kind of effect don't always go away with time, I'd say 2 weeks would have been enough to have overcome that side effect if it was going to pass given how quickly tolerance rises with benzos

9. Collapse Details

i agree with atm23. i've taken xanax before and it's made me sleepy too at first but then after a week it went away. i say talk to your doctor..

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GABAking View Post
    ^^I thought lorazepam is notorious for being one of the most sedating benzos...
    Lorazepam is a very strong anxiolytic and anticonvulsant, but a relatively mild sedative.
    Lorazepam is often underrated, but studies have shown it to cause a decent amount of sedation and motor-impairment (it's why its used as a pre-medicant in minor procedures like endoscopy). I'd rank it above clonazepam as a sedative (not by too much, though).

To the OP, Xanax is a benzo - all benzos will make you drowsy to a certain extent depending on the benzo. Xanax is an anxiolytic which means its not as sedating as the hypnotics (temazepam, triazolam, etc) but it will make you sleepy - that's just natural. I think its more sedating than clonazepam, but considerably less sedating than diazepam. Compared to lorazepam, alprazolam is slightly more sedating.

I'd recommend oxazepam or even clorazepate if you don't want a sedative anxiolytic. Oxazepam is underrated, but it works and its not sedating. Clorazepate is not as good as oxazepam, but it also works and it isn't sedating. You can even try clonazepam.
    Last edited by kokaino; 17-03-2012 at 16:39.

11. Collapse Details

I myself also think Xanax is too sedating for my liking so I use Ativan.........Ativan is sedating but nothing like Xanax, at least ime. I prefer Ativan but like mentioned above, you will have to try them.

12. Collapse Details

People forget that there are other options besides Xanax, Ativan, Valium or Klonopin for anxiety. As I mentioned above, there are oxazepam, clorazepate, and prazepam (in the U.S.). I think prazepam is a bit on the sedating side (similar to diazepam), but oxazepam is minimally sedating even though its not as great of an anxiolytic as alprazolam and some of the other common ones - it still works. The same is true of clorazepate.

For people that live outside the United States, try bromazepam. It has excellent anxiolytic properties with low sedation. Bromazepam is on the same level as alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, and lorazepam as an anti-anxiety drug.

Among the 4 major anti-anxiety drugs (lorazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, and clonazepam) - clonazepam is the anxiolytic with the least amount of sedation. Diazepam is the most sedating of the 4. Alprazolam and lorazepam are in between (with alprazolam being a bit more sedating than lorazepam IME).

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kokaino View Post
    Among the 4 major anti-anxiety drugs (lorazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, and clonazepam) - clonazepam is the anxiolytic with the least amount of sedation. Diazepam is the most sedating of the 4. Alprazolam and lorazepam are in between (with alprazolam being a bit more sedating than lorazepam IME).
    That's very subjective. BZDs affect people differently. I don't doubt that's how those benozs make you feel, but I personally think valium isn't nearly as sedating as xanax or ativan...or even klonopin.

To the OP, just try different benzos. work with your doctor. everyone is different

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kokaino View Post
    I have to disagree here partly. In the 7 years I've been using various benzos non-stop the most sedating benzo is indeed diazepam, but after that comes clonazepam. I found alprazolam to be the least sedative and least hypnotic.

I'm now on clonazepam and have been so for 3 years or so. As tolerance builds up, the sedating effects disappear. I have to take absolutely ridiculous amouunts of clonazepam to become really sedated, and it doesn't help me with sleep even in large doses.
    Last edited by Cyanoide; 17-03-2012 at 19:19.

15. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    xanax makes me up and ready for anything but if i take a smaller dose i get a little sleepy

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GABAking View Post
    That's very subjective. BZDs affect people differently. I don't doubt that's how those benozs make you feel, but I personally think valium isn't nearly as sedating as xanax or ativan...or even klonopin.

To the OP, just try different benzos. work with your doctor. everyone is different
    I agree it's subjective. Just like some antidepressants work for some but not for others. However, the general consensus is that diazepam is the most sedating of the 4 and clonazepam the least.

I have to disagree here partly. In the 7 years I've been using various benzos non-stop the most sedating benzo is indeed diazepam, but after that comes clonazepam. I found alprazolam to be the least sedative and least hypnotic.

I'm now on clonazepam and have been so for 3 years or so. As tolerance builds up, the sedating effects disappear. I have to take absolutely ridiculous amouunts of clonazepam to become really sedated, and it doesn't help me with sleep even in large doses.
    I myself find alprazolam to be less sedating than lorazepam and diazepam, but more sedating than clonazepam. I get alprazolam prescribed (for the past 5 years), so maybe that's why.

But I was talking in general - most people find diazepam the most sedating and clonazepam the least of the 4.

17. Collapse Details

I've just snorted the last 10 of mu last 50 2mg's. I need to give then up, its a loosing battle and had become an expensive one.

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    The title made me laugh,

Try Clonazepam 0.5mg

19. Collapse Details

A glass bottle in the ocean between waves and rocks
    ii would recommend you try clonazepam (klonopin) i find its the least sedating benzo, otherwise maybe bromazepam or prazepam, aso 2mg xanax is a pretty hefty dose... you should try taking the strict minimu neaded

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phatass View Post
    ii would recommend you try clonazepam (klonopin) i find its the least sedating benzo, otherwise maybe bromazepam or prazepam, aso 2mg xanax is a pretty hefty dose... you should try taking the strict minimu neaded
    I've found prazepam to be more sedating than alprazolam. IME prazepam was similar to diazepam but a bit less sedating.

I still say oxazepam, clonazepam, or clorazepate are good options for the OP.

21. Collapse Details
    combating sleepiness from xanax 
    A lot have suggested oxazepam here, which could be the answer of a waste of time because of its extremely short half life ~less than an hor, half and hour maybe?

In australia oxazepam is used to help people sleep when they cant after sever tramaua like a cheating spouse, losing there house business etc.

So if its enough to get the original anxiety away, then also the tiredness goes and you then continue to feel unanxious, then this could be for. ask your doctor. so many benzoes out there. If you want your doctor to be cool about try ach one to you find the right one, always take back whats left of the prescription that you are returning when you want to try a new one. this builds trust and shos your not jsut after as many pills as possible!

2 more things Xanax is by far the most sought after benzo on the street there is, and probably most effective. and it also has the WORST rebound anxiet when trying to get off it.

But if your still on xanax, i would reccomend some kind of caffeine /xanax combo. Buy a bottle of no-doz 100mg caffeine tablets for $6, and try different doses. I would say strating with 1MG of xanax followed by 50mg (half a no doz tablet) 10 mins later so you get the anxilytic effect befor the stimulant effect.

For me, I would take about 1 no doz with 2mg of xanax if i though sleepingness was a problem, or if im around my friends and family and i dont want them to see me looking tired...

Trial and error here man. but it should take too long in your case to find what works for you. dont forget the 2 most important factors that everyone seems to ignore these days! Set and Setting!