• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New Opana ER Formulation - I got it :(

I wish we can research and talk to our drs. Openly. When I have tried to request meds I've read about I am viewed as a drug seeker. I too got the new opana's this month. 09-2012. Los Angeles CA. After two days of my 10 mg am, pm routine i had Horrible gas, stomach cramps, heartburn - more pain. Not sure if it's because I had my gallbladder removed a few months back?
I've been experimenting with dissolving in water and plugging with oral syringe. Chewing and plugging. I wont take it orally again it did NOTHING for pain orally. i hate it!! Plugging a dissolved or chewed pill It helps me from going into complete WD's and a little with of my bone pain. But it's such a waste. Opana was the first pain med I tried that I did not have horrible side effects from.
I am so discouraged.

Have you considered switching to Dilaudid or MS? I've never had oxymorphone period, and only have one experience with the OP oxycodones, but will probably refuse a Rx of them solely for all the polymers in it...I've got chronic nausea, GERD, a hiatal hernia, and other stomach issues already, so I don't need a med agitating it worse than it already gets...I would take an oxycodone/morphone IR Rx, but fuck those ER meds...

I've got the 10mg ERs all you gotta do is chew em man keep em in your mouth for a while and grind up about 20 - 30 mg an drink a nice acidic drink you'll feel the euphoric high within 30 minutes.

I've got the 10mg ERs all you gotta do is chew em man keep em in your mouth for a while and grind up about 20 - 30 mg an drink a nice acidic drink you'll feel the euphoric high within 30 minutes.
i dissolved and plugged 20 mgs this morning after taking an oral dose of 15 mgs of percocet and i became bloated. i looked like i have been drinking beer for days. i am wondering if that was just too much for me or if the perc/tylenol combo was a bad idea.
ugh frustrated. going back to PM Dr tomorrow. let's see what happens. i am so anxious.

Wait, I have a question. If you can get an er medication compounded for you, could you have your doctor somehow write you a script for an extended release oxymorphone that needs to be compounded?

what is compounded medication? sorry, i have no idea what you are talking about..

I wish we can research and talk to our drs. Openly. When I have tried to request meds I've read about I am viewed as a drug seeker.

It is possible if you find the right doctor... I would think the ones who are consider script mills would do that more as they are more protective of themselves. Just make sure you talk to your doctor without coming off as a seeker/abuser. Hell at this point I talk to my pain management doctor about my 4-aco-dmt use and even when I picked up roxicodone before I had my oxymorphone script when the tramadol he gave me would not subdue the w/d symptoms for the levorphanol he gave me.

As far as your script the other person gave some good advice. I found that sucking the coating off with a minor amount of fruit juice, swallowing that juice, and than taking another sip and chewing the pill with the juice in my mouth so what became released would soak in the juice and be carried to the stomach. I found 2 10 mg to have good effect and 3 to produce a nodd where 5-10 mg snorted is a good dose for me.

Edit: compounding medication. I doubt the ER can be formulated to be compounded and they wont compound it to put up the nose I bet.

I have Kaiser HMO. I'm not sure how I can change pain management Dr? Anyone had this problem with HMO??

I have Kaiser HMO. I'm not sure how I can change pain management Dr? Anyone had this problem with HMO??

If you do not have a pain management doctor you should first have a issue with pain that you see a regular doctor about. You need to talk to your primary care doctor & any other involved doctor and notify them so that you can have them gather up your relevant medical history. Than ask your doctor for recommendations, ask your insurance to provide you with a list of local pain management doctors supported, or look up local pain management doctors. I found mine on yelp just searching pain management doctors in my area. Be sure to make sure you do research into the new pain management doctor to make sure he is not someone who has put someone on opiate medication only to turn around and label them as an abuser cutting them off in an inappropriate manner as well as I recommend avoiding script mills even if that is an easy prescription. The important thing is to find a doctor who cares about you and your needs and not a doctor just trying to treat you with whatever he has at his disposal be it opiates, drug treatment referral, basic stretches, or even injections that can be over the top for those with short term moderate to severe chronic pain issues.

If you already have a pain management doctor do all you can to work with them. If you do not like them and they make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason than talk to your primary care doctor about it. There are also many reasaons to be uncomfortable besides his beliefs on what unacceptable addiction/abuse be it his lack of care if you are making progress to recovery, his lack of communication with you or his other doctors, or his lack of responsibility with medication scripting as far as refusing to prescribe or prescribing too much. Than do what I said above to find your own.

When you work with your pain management doctor make sure you work with him more to diagnose the problems that cause your pain, figure out a proper treatment plan to fix the problem, and only after that working on managing the pain. With my situation I went through getting butrans first and than levorphanol/tramadol before getting the opana/hydrocodone that I requested. Although I probably could have gotten it after the butrans if not right away if not due to my parents harassment of the doctor with "hysterical messages" and attempts to get me labeled as an abuser before I even get a chance to get an opiate script.I do also have a psychiatrist I see who I spent time to convince that I am not an abuser of opiates even though I use a plethora of drugs they know about as well as have a history of self medicating with the medication. I also have injuries I had been struggling to get a doctor to recognize as most the doctors where trying to ignore it and convince me my parents where right and that I did not have injuries and only made it up to protect my drug use so that they could send me to drug programs where they had the ability to feed me whatever drugs they wanted on me to stop me from using drugs and making complaints as well as to charge my parents and their insurance loads of money to "fix me".... Much easier than convincing the people paying for my treatment that they caused my problems without turning them off.

My situation is much different and more difficult than yours, but if you have an injury and spend time to create a medical record showing this than you should not have any issues getting the right medication if you are also working to fix your problems. The only problem you will have is if you don't have any requirement for the medication (any pain you can not express to them as well as can be seen or felt by others or are more focused on the medication as if it is the long term solution rather than thinking of it only when you have a solution to your problems.

Excellent point! " The only problem you will have is if you don't have any requirement for the medication (any pain you can not express to them as well as can be seen or felt by others or are more focused on the medication as if it is the long term solution rather than thinking of it only when you have a solution to your problems."
Maybe this was the pain management red flag? I suffer anxiety attacks and the idea of being in so much pain and losing control really sets off my anxiety levels. Having pain medication on hand gives. Me a sense of safety at all times. I am more afraid of the pa I. Attack than I am of the pain. Should I mention This? Will this make me sound like a desperate addict?

No you do not want to use it for anxiety.... There are other medications such as benzos for this, but they also develop their dependencies. My situation I have neglected injuries from my childhood as my parents thought doctors where quacks who just want your money except for the few good ones. Since my mom had medical background her opinion was the best opinion where as doctors are only there to make money charging you for fancy over excessive treatments, tests, and medications. Although once I started smoking pot they lost complete faith in any chance of me being healthy until the "drugs" where stopped and literally put me through hell trying to get me on other drugs to manage me with those to get me drug free in the end so if I wanted to use pot responsibly I could at some point when I don't have to rely on them at all (ha with the way they raised me in the economy we live in?)

I also went through hell in society being misled by druggies who could not make it in the world anymore after the things they have done and could only waste time misleading sheltered kids to use them for many things besides making a quick buck. My first pot dealer actually was selling me drugs as he told our school staff that I was starting to majorly deal drugs, which led to them putting me through hell treating me like a trouble maker and finally telling my parents they caught me on drugs without even pee testing me. At the time I barely bought a gram a month and just starting to experiment with ecstamacy (maybe 3-4 pills at most so far) as my hunt for mushrooms was always a failure. While listening to this person who was portraying himself as a friend my teachers did not even talk to me about it and protected him and tried to mislead me by lying and saying they knew one fact about the person that made them know it was not the person I was talking about without telling me to rest my suspicions when I questioned if he was talking them about me only to learn he did about a half year later after I was not going to the school when he came to my house one day to sell me weed and left his email logged in where I found a message saying "Pssst.... This kids selling drugs, but you didn't hear it from me" like a total stereotypical rat. Finally after putting me through months of hell of trying to find me doing drugs they told my parents out of nowhere they caught me on drugs because they caught me with dialated eyes. What happened was I was not on anything and probably dilated from being in fear of the teacher asking me if I had taken anything before I responded "No I did not take anything and even if I had anything I would save it until I got out of this hellhole prison" while holding 3 pills in my pocket for the night.

So it took me about 1-2 years to recognize my back problems after trying heroin once without my parents knowledge and doing one other 2-3 gram binge over a week or two insuffilated before deciding it was a waste of time due to the lack of standardization. I also had a dilauded script that caused me hell as my parents tortured me over it by criticizing me while I was still in extreme pain after the surgery causing me to turn down the medication and sit in pain for 3 days screaming and punching the wall because I had a dry socket, but did not realize it and did not want to seem like an addict to prove myself to them. I always found I prefered morphine formulations over codine after trying them all besides oxymorphone and always wanted that. After recognizing my pain and before deciding opiates I spent about 6 months before running into oxymorphone to really consider it and another 6 months to work on trying to confront my parents about it with their drugs are bad mkay.... attitude. That went to hell and led to a night where I was almost killed in the hospital with haldol (I feel) and than given ativan both against my verbal refusal of consent saying that they had to for everyone safety where gaining consent would first have been impractical... So they tried to do something impractical for killing me to protect.... I dunno who as I was not threatening to hurt anything and had asked for some time to calm down before they decided to use drugs so I see no one in danger besides me at the hands of the abusive doctors that have left my leg muscle with a constant. Anyways after that hell and another 6 months of being pulled along for a ride leaving me homeless for 3 months with mental health issues and physical health issues going completely unrecognized and untreated as everyone wanted to focus on my drug use and claim it as addiction and abuse that has become unhealthy because it became a problem in my life without recognizing my parents major role in it becoming a problem as well as a lot of my anxiety that destroyed me throughout school before I started smoking, learning harm reduction practices, and experimenting with drugs responsibly that I started doing something productive and meaningful with my life... By that I mean developing a social life, going from 80% overweight to 40% average weight over a summer, developing hobbies, developing real life interests vs. virtual interests yet still retaining my old interests to a degree, getting outside, developing a healthy sleep pattern, developing a job after volunteering to develop resume credit, etc.

Anyways after this hell and getting some of the wrong opiate scripts as I have mentioned I am on opana er 20 mg now and 5 mg ir with 10/325 hydros. First I was given 5 mg ir and 10 mg er, but I told him I had looked at the difference in BA rate and figured a good oral dose for my nasal dose while still keeping in mind different rates of absorption. I also switched from my original 5/300 or 500 to 10/325 as the tylonal was too much and I told my doc I was doing a CWE. Just do not try to hide ANY use from your doctor and things will be ok. The only time my doctor was annoyed when I did not mention a 20 mg oxymorphone I had purchased to use after a 4-aco-dmt and harmala trip... The funny thing is I have an awesome doctor who did not mind the 4-aco-dmt, but the idea I used the oxymorphone as a spiritual use when used at the tail of a psychedelic journey when used responsibly. He did not even have an issue when I bought roxicodone during the time I was waiting to be changed from tramadol to the opana I wanted after finally convincing my parents they may not ALWAYS be right and have no right to decide what I can use in my body and what I can not even if they are my parents and have my insurance as if it was not for them lulling me into a false sense of future security as a child only to turn around and throw me to the dogs before I am ready as I grow because they just don't want me anymore as I did not turn out the way they wanted.

Like I said my situation is difficult and required me to take A LOT more steps than most people. Just be honest with your doctor and don't push anything until you try his recommendations and recognize they do not work as the doctor may just have something for you that will work better. Just let him know what pain you feel and follow the charts to describe what level of pain your feeling. They are there to make it easy to figure out what you need to do to fix your problems and not just to figure it out for you and tell you what to do. You are as much your own doctor as anyone else you hire as only you in the end make the final decision.

Although again it is specifically pain management medication that aids with sleeping through pain or functioning with pain. I believe that morphine and codeine have extremely different uses and where codeine formulations compared to morphine are more for helping you forget the pain while the second is to help sedate you and end the pain. This is my speculation though. Again if you are thinking of using for anxiety just do not. No pain management doctor will prescribe it to you for that. It is meant to be used for people working through treating an injury through physical therapy or some other form of slow outpatient treatment, after a surgery where there is severe pain from recovery, and for life only for someone with severe problems that lead to excessive pain and should still be attempted to taper off in the end as living with an opiate dependency is not a healthy thing.

So, from what I've been reading, the new GENERIC 40mg Opanas were supposed to be released yesterday.

Any word on these? Are they original recipe?

So, from what I've been reading, the new GENERIC 40mg Opanas were supposed to be released yesterday.

Any word on these? Are they original recipe?

Link to proof of release? I read an article mentioning the watson generics where supposed to be made this month, but that was written in 2010 and I have not been able to find any more recent news. There are activa generics in 7.5 and 15 mg that are close to the old formula.

Generics for what? Most opana ER formulations there are none. Only the 7.5 and 15 mg dose that are crushable, which IMO is a really odd dose... Although looking back on my doctor first trying to prescribe 7.5 MG I wonder why he chose that over 5 mg and 10 mg... oh well.

To whom it may concern:
THIS POST IS FOR INFORMATION USE ONLY. THEREFOR I AM NOT LIABLE ON WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS INFORMATION. IF YOU ARE ALREADY GOING TO USE DRUGS IMPROPERLY THEN PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ABOUT THE DRUG. READ ABOUT AND THIER SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM EFFECTS ON THE HUMAN BODY BEFORE USING ANY NEW DRUG. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED YOU USE ANY DRUG UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED TO DO SO BY A LICENSED PHYSICIAN. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IMPROPER USE OF DRUGS MAY LEAD TO SERIOUS INJURIES IN THE BRAIN, ORGANS, AND MAY ALSO BE FATAL. DON’T SAY YOU HAVEN’T BEEN WARNED!

The only drug based on my knowlege that is still crushable that can give you the same opiate high is something called:
“Dilaudids" (Pronounced del-ad-dids)

I’m a recovering addict and I have been clean for the past 8 months. I don’t suggest you use drugs. The drugs slowly took away everything from me. My job, My family, My friends, and if I kept going down that road they would of taken me was well. Thank God I stopped myself without having to go to rehab (But if I was too weak to do it alone I would go). I got prescribed suboxone (Kills the craving for opiates and temporarily gets rid of withdrawals) and kept busy working and spending time with my family and drug free friends. It was a long and dreadful period for me to get back on my feet.

So listen If you could support the habit and your drug of choice has no terrible side effects on your body then GO FOR IT! But Most of us are not able to support the habit and the addiction to these drugs. And because of that this addiction makes us do things we would never imagine doing like: stealing from our own families, and our friends, even strangers…So USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! And If you’re unfortunately going to use then MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GETTING YOURSELF INTO. To all the people out there who are still using. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST! Do yourself a favor and get help and kill the addiction before it kills you! If you have insurance then ask your doctor about suboxone. It will temporarily kill the cravings and the withdrawal symptoms. Once you're on suboxone I recommend you keep yourself busy with either school or a job. Boredom is one of the key triggers to use.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO QUIT:
Congratulations! you’re making a good choice! I know it’s hard to let such a “euphoric” feeling from the pill leave your life. I still have cravings even now here and there. Not for the pill just for that feeling. Until you get professional help here is some advice that should help you control the cravings.

Note: If you’re and addict that wants and is putting effort to quit drugs then you are considered an addict in recovery.

Please do your best to do the following before use of drugs. This advice is to help you prevent yourself from using.

1) This won’t be easy but you are going to have to dis-communicate yourself from all you current friends who are still using. If you choose to continue seeing and talking to them then you are putting yourself at risk of having a slip. Once they get clean then you may associate yourself with them.
2) Tell a close SOBER FRIEND who you are comfortable with about you addiction. Ask your friend if you could call or text them if at anytime you get a craving and if they could please talk you out of doing it. AND FOR YOUR OWN SAKE DO YOU’RE BEST TO CALL THEM. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON THAT CALL.
3) If you get craving and your friend is not available then relax yourself and think about all the “Pain Remembrances” The drug has caused you for example: Family fights, stealing, loosing friends, family, loosing or potentially loosing your job, and whatever other bad memories you may have. Remind yourself its the pill that you want to take now thats the cause of all this pain in your life. Use this and the craving should hopefully weaken or disappear (This works like a charm for me).
4) If withdrawals are getting bad then ask your doctor about suboxone. Suboxone is meant to help you feel sober by temporarily putting the withdrawals and the cravings to sleep. This is made so that you can relearn how is it to be sober and get a job, go to school, be with your family, make new sober friends, and function like a normal human being again. It’s like a miracle drug for opiate addicts who want to quit.

Note: Once you learn to how to stay sober and you have cut down your dose of suboxone you will then have to go through the withdrawals. If I find that there is a way to not go through the withdrawals I will keep you guys posted!

Note: (This reference is directly from my doctor) Suboxone is not harmful to your body what so ever in any amounts. So no need to worry about overdose!

Good luck to all of you! If you have any questions or need any help I’ll be glad to be of service! :)

Last edited:
This was an actual chronic pain patient that couldn't get pain relief from their meds. This thread is actually pretty old, but thank you for your advice. The issue with Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) is that it has such a short duration, so it's not a much of a viable option for a lot of chronic pain patients. They need things that will last. Also, you might want to edit out that price discussion, as it's not allowed.

Thank you for your effort, though, and welcome to BL. :)

Thank you for the welcome and for the advice. I don’t know about the short duration of dilaudids but back when I was using dilaudids it was better then Roxies (aka Blues) which had no effect on me anymore. The dilaudids lasted for over 2 hours on me and if I took enough like 2-3 of them in a row I would feel better then if i took a full opana.

Anyway I hope the information was useful. And thanks for the advice I did edit the entire post to make it perfect for other readers. I signed up to help others quit their addiction. I want to fight against this terrible drugs that nearly ruined and almost took the lives of my friends and my own as well. We all need to help each other and I believe that only WE “The Addicts who got clean” Could help other addicts get off the drugs. Sober people don’t understand and they never will understand unless they experience it for themselves. Do you agree with me?

No offense to anyone but I haven't read a bit of this thread, I just wanted to make a comment based on the title of the thread (despite the fact it's ancient).

I've tried to announce in several threads now, and it doesn't seem to be catching on as fast as I thought it would.

That announcement is that the ORIGINAL OPANA ER formulation HAS RETURNED. It started shipping Jan 4/5 and has reached some pharmacy shelves and most pharmacy wholesale distributers/warehouses. It is the first generic available in ALL Opana ER strengths and is made by the generics divsion of Impax, known as Global. They bought their way into being able to produce them, again, ORIGINAL formula of Opana ER (i'll let readers decipher what that means on their own).
If your pharmacy doesn;t have it in stock yet, call ahead and have them order it for you (as this msg is directed towards the legitimate CPPs who were negatively affected by the change in formulation to Opana.

Funny -- one of the reasons how Global was able to buy their way into production was because they "proved" to the FDA that their generic version of the original formula was safe and effective as Endo's current formulation.

Endo could have cared less about the abuse of the original IMO (maybe got some heat from DEA but what do they care), they just wanted to re-patent a new formula.

And at this point it's not like its available for anybody to make as a generic, GLobal still had to pay off Endo. Anyway. WHat concerns us is that Opana ER is BACK!