• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New Opana ER Formulation - I got it :(

To all of those recommending hydromorphone ER (Exalgo), my insurance doesn't cover it, so I can't do that. Opana was hard enough, sometimes costing half a grand. It's nuts. Half a grand for a ~100 year old drug. Fuck me, right?

My breakthrough meds are hydromorphone 8mg, FYI. I usually need 2-3 of the things for any help, or IV one. I've IV'd 32mg of hydromorphone before and been just fine. No idea how the hell my tolerance gets that high on just 40mg of Opana a day. I usually only IV if nothing else kills the pain.

My doc has suggested buprenorphine for pain, but said she wouldn't prescribe it and I'd have to go to an addiction guy downtown. That'd suck.

I would avoid bupe for pain, as there are much better alternatives.

Can you use IR hydromorphone in place of the ER that your insurance doesn't cover?

And yep, Opana shoots your tolerance up so high and fast I've never seen any opiate raise your tolerance like this, besides fentanyl.
After using Opana for the past few weeks, my prescribed pain killers aren't working anymore, so what can I do to kill the pain? my only option seems to be, more opana, just have to somehow lower my dose slowly so that my other opiates work again. It will come at the price of pain, but I dug myself into this whole, I'll be damned if I don't climb out myself.

Here's the pictures everyone's been asking for.

Here you can see the shape and size of the pills. These are 20mg.
IMG_4418.jpg

Here you can sort of see the inside of one of the pills. This was a hard picture, and I know it's hard to tell, but I tried to make it so you could tell they're the solid/gummy/shit on the inside rather than powder.
IMG_4422.JPG

And here you can see my script, just in case y'all don't believe me ;)
IMG_4419.jpg

So there you go.

I would avoid bupe for pain, as there are much better alternatives.

Can you use IR hydromorphone in place of the ER that your insurance doesn't cover?

And yep, Opana shoots your tolerance up so high and fast I've never seen any opiate raise your tolerance like this, besides fentanyl.
After using Opana for the past few weeks, my prescribed pain killers aren't working anymore, so what can I do to kill the pain? my only option seems to be, more opana, just have to somehow lower my dose slowly so that my other opiates work again. It will come at the price of pain, but I dug myself into this whole, I'll be damned if I don't climb out myself.

Yeah that's how I feel. Opana works well for the 24-hour pain, but whenever I have any breakthrough there's like, nothing on earth other than an injection that will even touch it now. I've tried 30mg IR oxycodone, I've tried 8mg IR hydrmorphone, I've tried fentanyl lollipops, Fentora (fentanyl buccal tabs), and some kind of fentanyl film thing that sits on your tongue. None of them could ever help my breakthrough. That's actually how I got into IV'ing pills, because the only way I can ever get any relief during breakthrough is to IV some of my hydromorphone. Now I have a big vial full of it that I've micron filtered and stored with bacteriostatic water and all that so it's as safe as it can be. I mean, I'm a health care worker, who works to manage pain nonetheless, and I still can't even get my own managed. Pathetic, isn't it?

As to replacing ER meds with lots of IR meds, I'd really rather not. I hate the pain roller coaster.

My insurance doesn't cover exalgo either. I was on 8 x 8mg dilaudid for pain for a long while. I agree, the ups and downs suck, but it is one of the cheapest drugs out there, and works very well for pain.

What about methadone with dilaudid as needed?

My insurance doesn't cover exalgo either. I was on 8 x 8mg dilaudid for pain for a long while. I agree, the ups and downs suck, but it is one of the cheapest drugs out there, and works very well for pain.

What about methadone with dilaudid as needed?

I really hated methadone. One hour I was high and puking and shit and the next I was in withdrawal. I took it twice a day and I don't know, it was either always too strong or not strong enough.

If I went to IR I don't know how I'd manage sleep. Most IR meds only last around an hour for me. My pain is pretty severe. It's constant, and progressive. I'm 25, and it's all downhill from here. I've been having a really hard time coping with it lately. Been pretty depressed. How do you deal with such a thing, having it take your future from you, and move on? I'll probably not be able to work for more than another ten years. I'm getting married soon; how will I be able to play with my kids, etc? It's all very hard, and the medical establishment (even though I'm part of it) only fights me at every turn. I'm so tired of fighting.

I think in chronic pain with methadone, you want to take little bits a few times a day, I dunno. That sucks it doesn't work for you.

If you can get it... 10mg IR Opana. Oxymorphone has a pretty good half-life compared to hm or oc. I was on those for a while, 3 x 10mg. They last a good bit and its definitely the strongest opiate I have ever laid hands on. And the most euphoric/ addictive.

I don't know what to tell you about the pain. I know it sound counterintuitive, but I got to the point where my pain was just always the same, always bad, and the drugs just made it a rollercoaster, like you said, and I have tapered from 8 x 8mg dilaudid to 4 x 4mg and intend to go lower. My pain is still bad, but I dunno. Feels good to be on less drugs. I couldn't do it without a good diet, exercise, some acupuncture, and some lumbar sympathetic nerve block injections I get occasionally. You got to hit the pain from every angle, not just with drugs. I am also in a MMJ friendly state.

What is MMJ?

I could probably get just about anything. Being a medical professional, we basically get whatever we want. I do use recreationally on occasion but I've just been lucky. I don't think I'm prone to addiction. I'm sure it could get me, but I've never had a craving, and I've come off plenty of times and it was nothing hard. Just lucky.

My pain on the other hand... Facet joint injections, nerve blocks, rhizotomy, PT, exercise, TCAs, SSRIs, SNRIs, NSAIDs; nothing has ever helped except opioids.

What about therapies that are not drugs or medical procedures? Like acupuncture, diet, exercise, meditation, ettc...
I know it sounds kind of out there, but acupuncture helped me so much in combo with some healthy living. I suuggest you try it.
Also, meditating on your pain, learning to calm your mind and body - I know it sounds like I have taken too much lsd, but I promise you, these things work.

MMJ- medical marijuana.

What about therapies that are not drugs or medical procedures? Like acupuncture, diet, exercise, meditation, ettc...
I know it sounds kind of out there, but acupuncture helped me so much in combo with some healthy living. I suuggest you try it.
Also, meditating on your pain, learning to calm your mind and body - I know it sounds like I have taken too much lsd, but I promise you, these things work.

MMJ- medical marijuana.

No, I feel you. I've done acupuncture. I've meditated for years before my pain ever happened. I can deal with my pain a great deal, but it requires total focus, which precludes work, life, etc.

I am not in a medical marijuana state. That doesn't stop me, but MJ only does so much.

The FDA is a buch of idiots they think they are helping people by makeing these tamper proof drugs. When in all reality they are hurting 1,000's of people that need these pills to live a functional life not in horrific pain that now cannot take the pills cause A: they dont work and B: they make you sick and tear your stomach apart. Straight up bullshit

i weighed 120lbs then started the old opana in 4 months i weighed 142lbs ive been on new stuff for 20 days and i weigh 130lbs. i have had to get tordal and solumedrol shots back on prednisone again. the 4 months i was on old opana no tordal,solumedrol or prednisone and having some nice stomach cramps. i was on ms contin and percocet before. for ankylosin spondylitis. thanx

Your pain meds might work if you stop abusing them. Opana is meant to swallowed, not crushed. If you used it properly you wouldn't be feeling like shit now.

If Fentanyl makes you sick look into Methadone for pain maintenance. Take is as directed instead of trying to catch a buzz and you won't puke. Sounds to me like you must of got it off the street because a doctor would of either started you at a low dose or lowered the dose to a dose that was fine for you.

Your pain meds might work if you stop abusing them. Opana is meant to swallowed, not crushed. If you used it properly you wouldn't be feeling like shit now.

Thanks, but I don't. As I said several times I have used my meds recreationally from time to time but 99% of the time I take all of my meds as prescribed. The new ones make me "sick" because the crush-resistant chemicals hurt my stomach. They essentially turn the pill into a giant ball of gel in your stomach, and if you're like me and on medication that lowers your stomach acid levels (PPIs), it hurts your stomach quite a bit, while at the same time the drug isn't swapping out of the pill and into your bile like it's designed to. So not only does it hurt, but the drug isn't being properly released and absorbed. The same thing happened with the "OP" OxyContin.

By the way, I'm a PA specializing in pain and the pharmacology of pain and pain medications.

If Fentanyl makes you sick look into Methadone for pain maintenance. Take is as directed instead of trying to catch a buzz and you won't puke. Sounds to me like you must of got it off the street because a doctor would of either started you at a low dose or lowered the dose to a dose that was fine for you.

Like I said, I've tried methadone. I never once tried to abuse it. Because of the nature of methadone's pharmacodynamics you can end up with drastically varying half lives for every dose. That means sometimes you're sick, sometimes you're high. I've never gotten any drugs off the street except marijuana (which I've only ever gotten through friends, and I smoke maybe once a month). I was started on 5mg BID and moved to 10mg BID after a month, thank you very much.

Maybe actually read my posts instead of presuming I'm a mindless junkie. And as the old adage goes: if you don't have anything nice to say, This statement goes for you too remember

Last edited by a moderator:
just go to the opana website http://opana.com/ and the very first thing you will see is pictures of the new pills - they kept the same color scheme - biggest visual difference is they are now round instead of the octagon shape.

I got my refill today. The pills are different *again*! I don't have pictures yet, but they look similar to my previous pictures except they are concave. It's weird. That is to say, the pill curves into itself on both sides. It's still the TRF/crush-resistant formula, but the pill shape has been changed again. I just have to wonder... why?

i am in about the same boat as you are,so i know what you are going through. i got tired of chewing them with no relief so heres what i did and it worked out fantastic.
ran tap water untill it got hot as hell a half ounce or so. out of habit i removed the outer coating. the let it soak for about 30 to 40 min. when i looked at it you could see the white pill inside of what looked like an egg,no shit. removrd it from the water and with a paper towell started to remove the sticky glue like stuff from around the white tablet that was in the center.
it took a little while to remove it, but it seemed to all be gone. with that done put in about 2cc water and cooked the crap out of it. then took orange cover and mashed it up.strained with cotton and added more water to the sticker and was better than ever snorting.
you are going to get this gooey crap in spoon and may have to use more than one piece of cotton.
like i said it worked out very well for me , a bit of a hassle but it was worth it to me.

i am in about the same boat as you are,so i know what you are going through. i got tired of chewing them with no relief so heres what i did and it worked out fantastic.
ran tap water untill it got hot as hell a half ounce or so. out of habit i removed the outer coating. the let it soak for about 30 to 40 min. when i looked at it you could see the white pill inside of what looked like an egg,no shit. removrd it from the water and with a paper towell started to remove the sticky glue like stuff from around the white tablet that was in the center.
it took a little while to remove it, but it seemed to all be gone. with that done put in about 2cc water and cooked the crap out of it. then took orange cover and mashed it up.strained with cotton and added more water to the sticker and was better than ever snorting.
you are going to get this gooey crap in spoon and may have to use more than one piece of cotton.
like i said it worked out very well for me , a bit of a hassle but it was worth it to me.

I thought pills were not meant to be heated, it brings out all the shitty filler and such...Am I wrong here?

Interesting that it worked. I think ill wait for more reviews tho.

^ You are not supposed to heat pills, and in the extreme cases that people do, they should allow the solution to cool back down to room temperature before filtering it to shoot. I couldn't tell if the person above you meant that they IV'd it, or snorted the solution. I would never IV this preparation, but if that method works you can snort the solution at least.