• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax or Klonopin, mg for mg, which is stronger? Asked alot, but let's get a definite

The tabs work sublingually, especially if u crush it up before you put it under your tongue.

Why do h think xanax has better benefits, when klonopin clearly has more benefits. Not bashing your opinion but xanax is primarily an anxiolytix, while kpin is good for anxiety and makes my body feel delicious

I don't see how this is promoting HR
THIS thread seems better suited for drug culture

idk how anyone can take xanax sublingually it's so bitter it makes me gag/throw up

Xanax and alcohol should never be mixed.

harm reduction.

The tabs work sublingually, especially if u crush it up before you put it under your tongue.

Why do h think xanax has better benefits, when klonopin clearly has more benefits. Not bashing your opinion but xanax is primarily an anxiolytix, while kpin is good for anxiety and makes my body feel delicious

I don't see how this is promoting HR
THIS thread seems better suited for drug culture

This thread was originally about which one was stronger, but has kind of turned into a thread about preference. This being the case, from this point forward it would be nice if posters always provided reasons for their belief in one drugs greater potency over another, and better yet, some kind of source/reference to back it up.

Xanax is stronger -- I say this due to its notorious effects on dopamine.

Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2001 Feb;11(1):41-50.
Role of dopaminergic and serotonergic systems on behavioral stimulatory effects of low-dose alprazolam and lorazepam.

Several recent studies have demonstrated that alprazolam and lorazepam, administered at low doses to healthy volunteers, improve cognitive functions and psychomotor performances. Paradoxical effects of low-dose benzodiazepines have been also observed in mice, in experimental pharmacology. The aim of this work was to determine, in rat, the effect of similar low-doses of benzodiazepines on spontaneous locomotor activity and performance in the elevated zero-maze, and to investigate the underlying neurobiological mechanisms. The dose-effect and the time-course of the action were studied for both compounds. Spontaneous locomotor activity was measured using a photoelectric actimeter. The level of anxiety of the animals was assessed in the elevated zero-maze. Dopamine, serotonin, and their metabolites were assayed in the extracellular striatal fluid of the awake rat, obtained by microdialysis, by HPLC--EC. Spontaneous locomotor activity observed in rats given low-dose alprazolam and lorazepam evidenced a stimulatory effect only with alprazolam. The effect was maximum 90 min after administration of 0.0050 mg/kg alprazolam. An anxiogenic-like action was evidenced with the elevated zero-maze for the two compounds. We observed a statistically significant increase in striatal dopamine concentrations only with alprazolam, during the period corresponding to the behavioral stimulatory effects. We also showed a marked trend towards increased levels of serotonin with alprazolam but this modification was not significant, in spite of statistically significant variations of 5-HIAA. In the rat, behavioral stimulatory effects of low-dose benzodiazepines is evidenced with alprazolam but not lorazepam. This effect could be explained, at least in part, by increased extracellular dopamine concentrations in the striatum. Their different structures could explain the different pattern observed for the two benzodiazepines.

PMID: 11226811 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

For many, xanax's effects on dopamine are probably why it is more anxiolytic than klonopin.

This thread was originally about which one was stronger, but has kind of turned into a thread about preference. This being the case, from this point forward it would be nice if posters always provided reasons for their belief in one drugs greater potency over another, and better yet, some kind of source/reference to back it up.

That study isn't comparing alprazolam (xanax) to clonazepam (klonopin). It is comparing a specific effect between lorazepam (ativan) and alprazolam.

I agree with the others. They feel similar in potency. On a side note it seems like tolerance builds super fast for me with clonaz. One day ill be fucked from 2mg, and after a couple days ill take 6 to come down from stims. Weird, probably due to half life.
Also clonaz messes with my balance a lot, and I eat a ton on it haha. Quite contrary to Xanax, which seems to alter the way things taste for me

thank you for explaining and posting good advice :)

-lac

too many variables, broad question, be more specific, cannot quantify and compare these two DIFFERENT compounds (goes for most 'drugs').

take some and decide for yourself. everyone is different, all drugs are different, and there is no DEFINITE answer. close!!!

Sorry for bringing up a old thread, but I have to share my 2 cents on the 2.

KLONOPIN (Clonazepam)

I love Clonazepam. It's very potent, relaxing, sedating, and overall euphoric.
It's the 'CREEPER' of benzos.
It takes 2-4 hours to fully peak, but when it does, you know you're in for a good time.
The half life is also very long, which I love.

XANAX (Alprazolam)

I like Alprazolam, I don't 'Love it'
Alprazolam is the 'slap in the face' benzo.
I love the instant relief it gives, kicks in very fast.
It also produces a rush type feeling, Clonazepam doesn't.
Alprazolam has a short half life, which I don't like. You gotta dose multiple times a day to keep desired effects.

As for which one is more potent, I'd give the nod to Clonazepam.
Alprazolam seems more potent when you first dose, because it kicks in almost instantly.
Alprazolam peaks at full force between 1-2 hours, where Clonazepam fully peaks between 2-4 hours.
But let's compare when they're both at full force, in the middle of the peak.
Imo, Clonazepam is more potent, and sedating. Alprazolam is more intoxicating.

Overall,

KLONOPIN (Clonazepam) > XANAX (Alprazolam)

I need a lot more from Klonopin, and it still doesn't give me the same feeling... It's only good if you combine it with weed, then you'll have some fun times that's for sure.

I need around 6 mgs of Xanax to handle my anxiety, and 10 for recreational usage. I need around 16-18 mgs of Klonopin just for the anxiety.

Xanax is more powerful, although only slightly. Some benzo equivalency charts say 1mg alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam but I find this to be completely false. 2mg of xanax will have a pronounced effect on me, but I can take 12mg clonazepam with no tolerance and feel nothing more than a little sedation. Clonazepam is very ineffective for me, it doesn't help me sleep at all, it doesn't help my anxiety at all, I find it useless.

I'd say it's realistically more like 0.5mg xanax = 1mg clonazepam but if we're judging by experience than I'd say 1mg xanax = 4mg klonopin. I don't know why but klonopin does NOTHING for me.

I completely agree! Idk how or why people seem to feel klon 2mg the same way they feel xanax 2mg. To me in a way klon feels like in a term "daytime xanax" Im prescribed 1mg alprazolam 3x day and when I'm out I take 2mg klon. It just feels like 2mg klon equals 1mg of alprazolam from my personal experience of 5 yr. Klon do work and are effective, but not even close to being equal in mg. ✌️

Sorry for bringing up a old thread, but I have to share my 2 cents on the 2.

KLONOPIN (Clonazepam)

I love Clonazepam. It's very potent, relaxing, sedating, and overall euphoric.
It's the 'CREEPER' of benzos.
It takes 2-4 hours to fully peak, but when it does, you know you're in for a good time.
The half life is also very long, which I love.

XANAX (Alprazolam)

I like Alprazolam, I don't 'Love it'
Alprazolam is the 'slap in the face' benzo.
I love the instant relief it gives, kicks in very fast.
It also produces a rush type feeling, Clonazepam doesn't.
Alprazolam has a short half life, which I don't like. You gotta dose multiple times a day to keep desired effects.

As for which one is more potent, I'd give the nod to Clonazepam.
Alprazolam seems more potent when you first dose, because it kicks in almost instantly.
Alprazolam peaks at full force between 1-2 hours, where Clonazepam fully peaks between 2-4 hours.
But let's compare when they're both at full force, in the middle of the peak.
Imo, Clonazepam is more potent, and sedating. Alprazolam is more intoxicating.

Overall,

KLONOPIN (Clonazepam) > XANAX (Alprazolam)

100% DISAGREE!! I've been prescribed 1mg alprozolam for 5 yr. now and under no circumstances do I approve of "you know your in for a good time" activity or attitude towards these medications. If you actually get "high" taking them then they are NOT for you! I don't feel mine at all and didn't when I first started taking them because I actually need them for my medical condition. All they do for me is make me feel normal/no anxiety etc. It's the ppl like yourself who don't NEED them that are ruining it for everyone who actually does.

But back to the point I also disagree that klon are more powerful than alprazolam what so ever. They are just longer lasting and have more of a half life which doesn't matter depending on your medical history and what your diagnosed with.

EVERYONE is very much different in how each benzo effects them... its one of the most varying class of drugs IME, because I LOVE klonopin, even after taking it daily for over 5 years, I still feel them, and they wonderful to me.. especially the first one I take in the morning, I get up feeling angry, anxious, and uneasy.. then I chew or parachute a klonopin(for the nearly immediate onset it gives when taken crushed up orally) so it kicks in quick, 1mg, and it lasts most of the day.. I then take 2-3 more throughout the day, and just feel good.. that's all I can say to describe it.. Xanax however, I used to take a lot.. before I really knew about klonopin and was prescribed it, and while I liked it too, when I tried klonopin for the first time, after Xanax being the only benzo I had tried at the time in my life, I felt way better.. not so dumb, slow, and just all around sedated feeling as I did with Xanax.. Nowadays, if I take Xanax, which is rare(only if I run out of my klonopin early or something), I hate how short acting it is, and having the tolerance I do now, it does almost the same thing klonopin does mg to mg, and lasts 1/4th as long... Klonopin and valium are my favorite benzos, and again everyone is different, I prefer those 2 over Xanax any time, because they last way longer, and just have me totally anxiety free all day.. Xanax, also destroys my anxiety but turns me into an idiot if I take more than 4mg, even with my tolly being so high to benzos.. it just makes me fearless, and say/do things I normally wouldn't do on klonopin at the same mg... at low doses, Xanax, does next to nothing for me.. so I really don't like Xanax as much as kpin, at all these days.. I used to, but I much prefer long acting benzos to short acting ones.. Ativan, is utter shit, I have taken literally 10mg or more of it with no tolerance, over 2 hours, and felt jack shit! KLONOPIN FTW!

I find them almost the same. but like they say Clonaz lasts longer. Probably depends what effect you want too. Id go Clonaz for relaxation and Xanax for hardcore anxiety.

Klonopin seems to help ADHD related anxiety (even alone without stimulants) moreso than Xanax.