• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax or Klonopin, mg for mg, which is stronger? Asked alot, but let's get a definite

Also since your already getting a benzo script, which should give you some anxiety relief, whether or not you are fully anxiety free, relying even more heavily on another benzo to relieve you of all anxiety is a terrible idea. You need to get some therapy if you aren't already following down that path. Not having therapy while being scripted benzos is one of the dumbest things in the world imo. You are only causing yourself more trouble in the long run. You will only make your anxiety worse, and will become physically/mentally dependent on a very addictive class of drugs. Saying they are incompetent in prescribing you medication is ludicrous. It sounds like you have a drug problem which is more than enough reason why not to increase dosage or give you more medication. Also like doommood said, bringing in drugs like that is a quick ticket to loosing your script. It would be dumb if you actually want to keep your medication.

Drugs aren't cure alls, just mearly a bandaid to help you while you try and find ways to overcome your problems.

Tolerance has a lot to do with which you think is the stronger drug. For example, I found Klonopin to be wayyyy stronger when I was prescribed Xanax, but now that I'm prescribed Klonopin instead, I find Xanax much stronger.

However, tolerance aside, Xanax is just a smidgen stronger. A tiny, tiny smidgen.

I'd also agree with the above poster that you should NEVER bring a bottle or box of a drug to try to get a stronger dose/different benzo. i count myself among the lucky few to even HAVE a Klonopin prescription, I barely say a word to my dr about the fact that it doesn't work as well anymore because I am afraid he will take me off of it altogether.

Last edited:
I find xanes to be more powerful as far as recreation goes, but they have a short half-life...klonopin is better for anxiety management unless your attacks are short and have a quick come-up as it has the longer half-life...some say they're equal in potency, but I have read literature online saying klonopin is half the strength of xanax...

I personally have never gotten an extremely powerful high from klonopins and I prefer to take an equivalent dose of vallium instead...too bad that shit takes as long as weed to get out of your system though lol...

2 steps ahedad my friend all m,y apps are in place. But you dont even wanna know how long i have to wait. Benzos are a short term relief well until i go see a professional i need some short term reflief. And they never stopped my clonaz script gotta get that today. They doubled my temazepam and diazepam script instead.

Will a doctor perscribe both of them at once. Im on clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day. They work brilliantly for what i call my "ticks" I had a seizure and ever since then i been getting "ticks" but clonazepam killed them completely but as far as my anxeity goes they are not doing the job ive had to buy some etizolam to help me out in that department and they have been working well but are very easy to build up a tolerance, anywayz going to ask the doctor today and bring my friggin etizolam with me and let them know the shit i have to do because of there incomteptent perscriptions!

this will prove to them that you can't be trusted taking prescriptions as prescribed. I know the point you're trying to get at. I'm in a lot of pain all the time, but would i bring in bottles of opana or methadone to my pain management clinic doctor and say "See im still in so much pain I'm buying narcotics off the street" I would be kicked out of the program.

IMO i guess xanax is "stronger" but kolopin seems to last longer? i dont know it comes down to half life which has already been said but IMO k-pins seem to make me think im not fucked up but really am and xanax seems to hit me "harder" and last shorter. This is all in my opinion so u should listen to the moderators bro.

Word for word exactly my opinion haha...great minds think alike lol. The other day at work I took 4mg of klonopin and thought"this isnt working, im not as fucked up as I want to be." Then I noticed I was having trouble talking and keeping my balance lmao.

My doctor put me on both xanax and klonopin for anxiety and panic disorder. This was done over ten years ago and things have gotten much stricter in the last couple of years. The only way to do that now is if a Psychiatrist prescribed it. Even then a shrink will exhaust all other options before putting you on 2 benzo's at the same time.

Depends whaty you are looking for. Xanax will hit you faster and harder but much shorter. The oposite for clonazepam.

It's strange, I think that when it comes to acute usage, I prefer clonazepam in every way. However, when I use benzo's every day and chase that anxiolytic effect that is so desirable, I find that alprazolam is the better choice for consistant use. Clonazepam's therapeutic effect really seems to plateau at around 6mg for me, almost as if it were a partial agonist. Once 6mg stops giving me the effects that I want, it seems that no dose of clonazepam will. Like, I can take 2x more (12mg) and not notice any difference aside from maybe being a bit more sedated and putting myself more at risk for an OD. Strangely though, if I were to take 4mg of alprazolam/Xanax, I would probably be overwhelmed with tranquility and pass out. It's weird. Alprazolam just seems to produce the feeling I want for a longer period of time, and it doesn't seem to plateau at any point (though my biggest benzo habit was only around 12mg of alprazolam/day).

Just to clear up a few things in this thread I saw that needed to be addressed:

Half-life alprazolam: ~12 hours
Half-life clonazepam: ~20-80 hours

[source]

Half life =/= duration of action

edit: otherwise we'd all be fucked up 24/7 on diazepam with it's half-life going over 100 hours :p

^right, if anything, drugs with long half lives seem (IME) to generally lose their kick much faster with daily use, than shorter acting ones. At the same time, they also tend to give a consistant (albeit, duller) effect than short acting drugs do, without having to increase the dosage. Also, one thing that is good about clonazepam because of its long half life, I do not ever experience interpose withdrawal, and I've been on the same amount for over a year (granted I go on binges here and there). With lorazepam and alprazolam, I will begin to experience withdrawal symptoms between dosages after 2 weeks of consistent dosing. Of course this means that I also will get more noticeable boosts from Ativan/Xanax, even after I've become used to them but its not at all worth suffering between doses.

Oh and this is a bit off topic, but one thing I find interesting is that I cannot feel clonazepam AT ALL, unless I take it sublingually. Obviously sublingual administration results in a slightly higher absorption and faster onset, but it seems strange that if these differences in onset and BA between oral and SL were as minuscule as people claim, that I would still be able to feel a fully swallowed clonazepam tablet.

Ya know this whole thing about docs' being so anti-benzo really sucks balls cuz these drugs really do help ppl but the fucking DEA has NO place in a doctors' office and they are putting the fear of God into providers who write the RX's. Sorry, rant over, I'm a xanax gal myself, but presently on K-pins and they work better for general anxiety but forget for panic attacks it's like tits on a bull. Useless. HTH.

basically equipotent, although alprazolam hits faster and has a shorter duration. i prefer clonazepam for it's long half-life, though.

sublingually is the best ROA with both.

i like klonopin better, but they are equipotent

klonopin really seems to give me a nice kick when i take it sublingually, i feel effects come on in ~10-15mins ...effects seem a little stronger than oral

xanax is alright, but it doesnt have much too it besides anxiolysis, while klonopin is a good anxiolytic with awesome muscle relaxant properties (and anticonvulsant properties but those dont add any recreation or have specific feeling) . klonopin seems better, and it is the chlorinated derivative of nitrazepam and closely related to nimetazepam which is a plus

simply xanax but both will fuck a newb 5mg+
essentially they are the same

I like xanax a lot more, I feel like it just gives me more of an extreme calm. I also find klonopin to be less calming. Also, if i'm feeling anxious or I want the high...I want it QUICK. Klonopin takes longer to kick in for me. :p

Xanax is stronger -- I say this due to its notorious effects on dopamine.

Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2001 Feb;11(1):41-50.
Role of dopaminergic and serotonergic systems on behavioral stimulatory effects of low-dose alprazolam and lorazepam.

Several recent studies have demonstrated that alprazolam and lorazepam, administered at low doses to healthy volunteers, improve cognitive functions and psychomotor performances. Paradoxical effects of low-dose benzodiazepines have been also observed in mice, in experimental pharmacology. The aim of this work was to determine, in rat, the effect of similar low-doses of benzodiazepines on spontaneous locomotor activity and performance in the elevated zero-maze, and to investigate the underlying neurobiological mechanisms. The dose-effect and the time-course of the action were studied for both compounds. Spontaneous locomotor activity was measured using a photoelectric actimeter. The level of anxiety of the animals was assessed in the elevated zero-maze. Dopamine, serotonin, and their metabolites were assayed in the extracellular striatal fluid of the awake rat, obtained by microdialysis, by HPLC--EC. Spontaneous locomotor activity observed in rats given low-dose alprazolam and lorazepam evidenced a stimulatory effect only with alprazolam. The effect was maximum 90 min after administration of 0.0050 mg/kg alprazolam. An anxiogenic-like action was evidenced with the elevated zero-maze for the two compounds. We observed a statistically significant increase in striatal dopamine concentrations only with alprazolam, during the period corresponding to the behavioral stimulatory effects. We also showed a marked trend towards increased levels of serotonin with alprazolam but this modification was not significant, in spite of statistically significant variations of 5-HIAA. In the rat, behavioral stimulatory effects of low-dose benzodiazepines is evidenced with alprazolam but not lorazepam. This effect could be explained, at least in part, by increased extracellular dopamine concentrations in the striatum. Their different structures could explain the different pattern observed for the two benzodiazepines.

PMID: 11226811 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

For many, xanax's effects on dopamine are probably why it is more anxiolytic than klonopin.

Xanax.

Klonopin is good. I don't have anything bad to say about kpins. I have a bottle of them right here. My prescription has automatic refills so I actually have two bottles because I have some left from last month and I picked up my refill on Wednesday.

My opinion is that Xanax is a better drug with better benefits and side effects.

sublingually is the best ROA with both.

There are sublingual xanax strips at the pharmacy. Do you mean those? Or do you put even a tab under your tongue? The actual strips melt immediately upon placement under the tongue. Beautiful.

A tab would just sit there awhile, though, wouldn't it? That doesn't seem very beautiful.

I chew my kpins before I swallow them. Not beautiful but better than swallowing them whole.