Bluelight

Thread: Xanax or Klonopin, mg for mg, which is stronger? Asked alot, but let's get a definite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Xanax or Klonopin, mg for mg, which is stronger? Asked alot, but let's get a definite 
    Peace
    I know this has been covered extensively, and mods, I have searched and did everything, short of studying this area of interest. Some say xanax, some say klonopin. I'm well aware of klonopin's longer half life, making it a longer acting med also having a longer onset of action. Xanax, of course, being the complete opposite in regards to half life and onset time. But when both, xanax and klonopin each reach their peak plasma state (xanax usually 1 hour;klonopin usually 2 hours), which is more potent, statistically, or even just by your own personal experience?

Truthfully, for me, it feel as though xanax has a slight edge over the potency compared with klonopin, but that's just me. Anybody?

2. Collapse Details

only thing that'll come into play is the half life

3. Collapse Details

Lurking around the corner of your nearest methadone clinic
    there almost exactly equally potent. I think alprazolam is minutely more powerful, but its pretty negligable.
    When I had a xanax habit, I found that two mg of clonazepam got me nicer than two mg of xanax though. Cross tolerance plays a slight role (when you switch benzo's at an equivalent dosage, you'll sometimes get a bit more of a buzz off of the new one-or so I've found), and as was mentioned, clonazepam has a longer half life.

It's much easier to build up a tolerance to clonazepam though. I can take 1 mg of alprazolam a day for a month and still get nice effects out of it, but after three days of 1 mg of clonazepam, it's like taking nothing really. But in general it works out good, because you don't experience interdose withdrawal with clonazepam like you do with xanax.

4. Collapse Details

Other Drugs

السلام عليكم Release my Mind... From your Grip.. Poison, poisooonn! Invading, invaaading! Reveal my Soul.
    Xanax is more powerful, although only slightly. Some benzo equivalency charts say 1mg alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam but I find this to be completely false. 2mg of xanax will have a pronounced effect on me, but I can take 12mg clonazepam with no tolerance and feel nothing more than a little sedation. Clonazepam is very ineffective for me, it doesn't help me sleep at all, it doesn't help my anxiety at all, I find it useless.

I'd say it's realistically more like 0.5mg xanax = 1mg clonazepam but if we're judging by experience than I'd say 1mg xanax = 4mg klonopin. I don't know why but klonopin does NOTHING for me.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tricomb View Post
    Xanax is more powerful, although only slightly. Some benzo equivalency charts say 1mg alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam but I find this to be completely false. 2mg of xanax will have a pronounced effect on me, but I can take 12mg clonazepam with no tolerance and feel nothing more than a little sedation. Clonazepam is very ineffective for me, it doesn't help me sleep at all, it doesn't help my anxiety at all, I find it useless.

I'd say it's realistically more like 0.5mg xanax = 1mg clonazepam but if we're judging by experience than I'd say 1mg xanax = 4mg klonopin. I don't know why but klonopin does NOTHING for me.
    From most of the reading I've done on clonazepam, it's one of the benzos with the greatest variance in response among different people (I think I remember reading something like effects varying tenfold per mg/person). For me, Xanax feels a little stronger, though both exert similar effects; Xanax is more amnesic, Klonopin a stronger muscle relaxant, and Xanax's slight superiority in anxiolytic effects is offset by clonazepam's duration.

6. Collapse Details

they are equipotent.

i was addicted to 10mg clonazepam /day for 7 years and have also used alprazolam plenty of times.. their dosages are the same but it is kinda like comparing apples and oranges since they are the complete opposite of each other, think of xanax as the heroin of benzos and klonopin as the methadone of benzos.

(that's the best simile i can come up with, not trying to make it more confusing)
    Last edited by HdoubleODeezy; 11-03-2012 at 09:46.

7. Collapse Details

I was taking xanax 3 mg/day for 6 months, but I switched to 3 mg/day of clonazepam a month ago and honestly I like it a lot more. It may not have that intense onset like xanax, but therapeutically and for withdrawal reasons, clonazepam is the best choice IMO. I only take 2 mg a day on some days, just cause after a week's use, the drug is always in your plasma 'cause the half life is so long. But klonopin lacks that intense onset that xanax has...instead it kinda just creeps up on you and you're high for multiple hours.

To answer your question, in terms of potency on a single use, I'd say Xanax most definitely. But if you let klonopin build up in your plasma after a week of daily use, 1 mg hits me hard because of the additive effect.
    Last edited by GABAking; 11-03-2012 at 12:36. Reason: rhetoric

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I have never tried klonopin but have a fair bit of experience with benzos, having used Diazepam (Valium), Xanax..and also used Etizolam and Zaleplon. The last two are not benzos but work pretty much the same as very effective sleeping tablets (Etizolam is a benzo analogue and is legal to use and easy to get hold of, being unscheduled in some countries).

I guess it depends why you want to take benzos and what effect you're looking for... but for me, I take them for social anxiety and nerves, for which Xanax wins hands down.. It's not as potent as Valium and I find the effect of Xanax much cleaner and my cognitive functioning is ok and I don't feel so drowsy as I do with Valium. Etizolam and Zaleplon just knock me out. I will be asleep within 30-60 minutes after taking one and will sleep soundly for 8 hours without waking up. Zaleplon is unusual because it has a very short half-life, only 1 hour. So it might have some recreational use or medical use where you need it tackle performance anxiety or get you through a difficult situation but without feeling drugged up for the rest of the day. I have not tried it for that though, but it might be suitable at lower doses.

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Just to clear up some confusion: we're talking about talking about taking one dose with none of the drug already in your system, right?

What would the equivalence be for daily maintenance use? My doc thought that 1 mg clonazepam / day = 1 mg alprazolam / day, but when I switched, I ended up taking 3x as much alprozolam to get the same effects.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The.Ghost View Post
    Just to clear up some confusion: we're talking about talking about taking one dose with none of the drug already in your system, right?

What would the equivalence be for daily maintenance use? My doc thought that 1 mg clonazepam / day = 1 mg alprazolam / day, but when I switched, I ended up taking 3x as much alprozolam to get the same effects.
    that's cause the half life on klonopin is much longer than xanax. Even towards the end of the day, your body still have metabolites from klonopin. Xanax is short acting, which is why you dosed more to compensate.

11. Collapse Details

Lurking around the corner of your nearest methadone clinic
    yeah clonazepam can sort of be used as a "benzo maintenance drug" in a way because of it. While you might feel you're xanax dosages more, you'll probably experience withdrawal between doses, and a faster rise in tolerance. That being said I have really never had a problem when consuming a low dosage (no more than 2 mg) with switching back and forth between the two. It took me a couple of months to begin feeling interdose withdrawal when I was on Lorazepam for a bit, but I just switched back to clonazepam.

Oh and just for the infor .5mg xanax = 1mg lorazepam.

12. Collapse Details

Clonazepam has something like a 20-40 hour half-life, whereas Alprazolam has ~4 hours. Therein lies the answer to your issue.

13. Collapse Details

Thank you to all, very helpful.

14. Collapse Details

This is an extremely hard question to answer, and I have used both extensively being a benzo addict. For a simple one-time administration, which is more potent? This question is really hard, but I often think about it. I go back to when I had no tolerance, and I would have to say, you know what the world will never know just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsiepop. It is just not an answerable question IMO.

15. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    xanax by far

16. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Support
    It also depends on the properties they possess. One may be a stronger anxiolytic than the other, while the other is a stronger hypnotic, and then there is the anticonvulsant effects to take into consideration.

I'm not completely sure, but I think that xanax is the stronger of the two when it comes to hypnotic effects, and klonopin is the stonger anticonvulsant, and their anxiolytic effects may be equipotent.

17. Collapse Details

According to the big chart on the wall in the E.R. I work in, they are considered equipotent m.g. for m.g. In my experience, alprazolam is better for treating panic and acute anxiety, whereas clonazepam is better for general procedural sedation and works very well when co-administered with a neuroleptic to treat psychotic episodes and anesthesia emergence reactions.

For recreational use; I find them more or less the same.

18. Collapse Details

IMO i guess xanax is "stronger" but kolopin seems to last longer? i dont know it comes down to half life which has already been said but IMO k-pins seem to make me think im not fucked up but really am and xanax seems to hit me "harder" and last shorter. This is all in my opinion so u should listen to the moderators bro.

19. Collapse Details

Will a doctor perscribe both of them at once. Im on clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day. They work brilliantly for what i call my "ticks" I had a seizure and ever since then i been getting "ticks" but clonazepam killed them completely but as far as my anxeity goes they are not doing the job ive had to buy some etizolam to help me out in that department and they have been working well but are very easy to build up a tolerance, anywayz going to ask the doctor today and bring my friggin etizolam with me and let them know the shit i have to do because of there incomteptent perscriptions!

20. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Id say bringing a box of etizolam do your docs office is not the right way to go about getting them to write you more benzos....in fact I'd say if you want to keep your klonopin script that thats a really terrible idea.

And just to add to what everyones saying: kpins are supposedly equal or stronger, on a mg/mg basis. But as MANY have said: klonopin is a more subtle effect for me. Like i'll eat 5mg of kpin with no benzo tolerance and just be chillllllllll. I take a stick of xanax and i'm stumbling around slurring my words and i'm wicked "fucked up". The kpins definitely work, but their effect isn't as pronounced IMO.

21. Collapse Details

Also since your already getting a benzo script, which should give you some anxiety relief, whether or not you are fully anxiety free, relying even more heavily on another benzo to relieve you of all anxiety is a terrible idea. You need to get some therapy if you aren't already following down that path. Not having therapy while being scripted benzos is one of the dumbest things in the world imo. You are only causing yourself more trouble in the long run. You will only make your anxiety worse, and will become physically/mentally dependent on a very addictive class of drugs. Saying they are incompetent in prescribing you medication is ludicrous. It sounds like you have a drug problem which is more than enough reason why not to increase dosage or give you more medication. Also like doommood said, bringing in drugs like that is a quick ticket to loosing your script. It would be dumb if you actually want to keep your medication.

Drugs aren't cure alls, just mearly a bandaid to help you while you try and find ways to overcome your problems.

22. Collapse Details

Tolerance has a lot to do with which you think is the stronger drug. For example, I found Klonopin to be wayyyy stronger when I was prescribed Xanax, but now that I'm prescribed Klonopin instead, I find Xanax much stronger.

However, tolerance aside, Xanax is just a smidgen stronger. A tiny, tiny smidgen.

I'd also agree with the above poster that you should NEVER bring a bottle or box of a drug to try to get a stronger dose/different benzo. i count myself among the lucky few to even HAVE a Klonopin prescription, I barely say a word to my dr about the fact that it doesn't work as well anymore because I am afraid he will take me off of it altogether.
    Last edited by trunkofmycar; 12-03-2012 at 19:00. Reason: terrified of dr

23. Collapse Details

I find xanes to be more powerful as far as recreation goes, but they have a short half-life...klonopin is better for anxiety management unless your attacks are short and have a quick come-up as it has the longer half-life...some say they're equal in potency, but I have read literature online saying klonopin is half the strength of xanax...

I personally have never gotten an extremely powerful high from klonopins and I prefer to take an equivalent dose of vallium instead...too bad that shit takes as long as weed to get out of your system though lol...

24. Collapse Details

2 steps ahedad my friend all m,y apps are in place. But you dont even wanna know how long i have to wait. Benzos are a short term relief well until i go see a professional i need some short term reflief. And they never stopped my clonaz script gotta get that today. They doubled my temazepam and diazepam script instead.

25. Collapse Details

Other Drugs

السلام عليكم Release my Mind... From your Grip.. Poison, poisooonn! Invading, invaaading! Reveal my Soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrophilis View Post
    Will a doctor perscribe both of them at once. Im on clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day. They work brilliantly for what i call my "ticks" I had a seizure and ever since then i been getting "ticks" but clonazepam killed them completely but as far as my anxeity goes they are not doing the job ive had to buy some etizolam to help me out in that department and they have been working well but are very easy to build up a tolerance, anywayz going to ask the doctor today and bring my friggin etizolam with me and let them know the shit i have to do because of there incomteptent perscriptions!
    this will prove to them that you can't be trusted taking prescriptions as prescribed. I know the point you're trying to get at. I'm in a lot of pain all the time, but would i bring in bottles of opana or methadone to my pain management clinic doctor and say "See im still in so much pain I'm buying narcotics off the street" I would be kicked out of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast