• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Reduce sweating during opiate withdrawal?

pema

Bluelighter
Any idea what could reduce sweating during opiate withdrawal?

When I'm on opiate withdrawal, from time to really I start to sweat really heavily.
It's really bad during the nights when I cannot sleep. I turn from side to side and my bed turns wet from all the sweat.
Usually (when I'm not on withdrawal) I have no problems with sewating.
I don't want to go to the doctor and get some antiperspirant pills on prescription.
All that stuff it actually not good for your body, has a lot of side effects (like dry mouth, problems with seeing and your eyes, ...), and works only a little bit.
But maybe there are some natural (herbal) remedies that can reduce the excessive sweating?
Does anyone know what to use? any experiences?

BTW: What causes this excessive sweating during withdrawal? From time to time it just starts, although I do nothing else than sitting on the couch and watching tv.
Any ideas?

I don't know what causes it but i'd love to know how long it lasts. I'm suffering the same thing. I don't really think there is much we can do about it.

Loperamide/immodium will help a bit, but really only if you take a rather large dose (i.e. much more than 10mg). Also, frankly, a fan is very necessary during w/d imho

Really what will help with the sweats/the chills etc. is clonidine. It can really be helpful in opiate wd's, and is very commonly rx'd for the purpose. Also, bathing very frequently can help.

Really what will help with the sweats/the chills etc. is clonidine.

I was about to say, clonidine is probably what you want for short-term WD treatment.

Loperamide will fix stuff but only because it's a perhipheral opioid agonist, it's just like continuing to take opioids and will extend your withdrawal somewhat.

I was also going to say that clonidine is often used/prescribed for this very issue. It is extremely useful and no doubt has helped me out and countless othets during the dreaded opiate w/d.

Last edited:
my vote is clonidine as well, although it is prescription (used to treat high blood pressure and general w/d symptoms from alcohol too). however, if u take it for too long, u can w/d from that too, but since it isnt recreational there isnt too large of a risk. clonidine has saved me many times and has helped me look more functional and not like I need to go the ER.

my very unscientific guess as to why w/d involves sweating is that w/d brings an onslaught of the opposite effects of opiates. I.e. on opiates I feel the perfect temperature like a warm blanket as often described, but not too warm (but in w/d I am either too hot or too cold or both, at the same time); I am not sweating & seem calm & content (versus looking like an obvious nervous wreck dripping w sweat and having goosebumps during w/d); I dont feel hyperactive or have racing or unwanted thoughts (versus having satantic visions and hallucinations in w/d); I dont feel emotional pain (versus a world of hurt, needing to groan and moan from some vague pain, and depression during w/d); and other people say they get constipation from using opiates and hence, diarrhea and vomiting during w/d.

Clonidine is a good bet, though unless you have a script, it's going to be very hard to find. As far as OTC options go, an antihistamine will be your best bet. Antihistamines can help to reduce the cholinergic symptoms of withdrawal (runny nose, watery eyes, sweating) as well as somewhat taking the edge off. Get some Benadryl and dose ever 4-6 hours or so. Best of luck!

In addition to the advice above I will add: Just deal with it and take plenty of hot baths. The sweating helps work the drugs out of your system quicker, at least, IME.

I understand if you can't do that all day if you're holding a regular job though.

Best of luck, btw it gets a little better everyday. How long it lasts just depends on how much you've been using, for how long, and the particular opiate you've been using.

I promise it'll get better in time! Best of luck to you friend.

clonadine/catapress will help..as Mentioned it is for high blood pressure and can also be prescribed for migraines. I have it on hand at all times as it helps me heaps. It hasnt been mentioned yet tho, that it can drop you. If you already have a low blood pressure it can be bad for you. Even one pill can drop some people to the ground. As said it is prescription meds and is dangerous if you dont know anything about it.

Best of luck, btw it gets a little better everyday. How long it lasts just depends on how much you've been using, for how long, and the particular opiate you've been using.

I promise it'll get better in time! Best of luck to you friend.

I hope you are right. I have been sweating terribly day and night for almost 1 year! I was addicted to oxycontin over 600mg a day for 2 years...I have literally not stopped sweating for an entire year..Summer/winter/autumn and spring...Rain/hail/snow or sun!!!! I am losing hope now...I think im gonna be like this for ever...arghhhhhhh

Clonidine helps with sweating. I often heard this. But it is nearly impossible to get this in Germany.
Lofexidine which works better for withdrawal than clonidine (and gives less problems with blood pressure) is not available in Germany. I thought of the possibility to get an prescription in Germany and get the stuff from an international pharmacy. But that was also impossible. I couldn't find a doctor who had knowledge of that.
And no doctor wanted to give me clonidin. No doctor I talked to, knew that is helps with opiate withdrawal. And no doctor wanted to give me a clonidin prescription because that would be too risky. The told me that blood pressure had to be controlled all the time.

Are there maybe any herbal remedies to reduce excessive sweating? I couldn't find anything?

And what causes this excessive sweating during withdrawal?

As far as OTC options go, an antihistamine will be your best bet. Antihistamines can help to reduce the cholinergic symptoms of withdrawal (runny nose, watery eyes, sweating) as well as somewhat taking the edge off. Get some Benadryl and dose ever 4-6 hours or so.
Benadryl? That's Diphenhydramine, right? Which else antihistamines helped you? Probably only first generation antihistamines because the acton central nervous system..?

I found a text which said, that diphenhydramine could help removing the sweats. Diphenhydramine is an antihistaminic drug for allergies but also used for insomnia. It's available OTC in most countries.
While some people told me, it helped them with insomnia during opiate withdrawal, others warned not to take it, because it could make withdrawal RLS a hundred times worse.
I found some topics on that stuff in this forum but nobody wrote about that stuff and sweating.
Has anybody made experiences with it?

Clonidine helps with sweating. I often heard this. But it is nearly impossible to get this in Germany.
Lofexidine which works better for withdrawal than clonidine (and gives less problems with blood pressure) is not available in Germany. I thought of the possibility to get an prescription in Germany and get the stuff from an international pharmacy. But that was also impossible. I couldn't find a doctor who had knowledge of that.
And no doctor wanted to give me clonidin. No doctor I talked to, knew that is helps with opiate withdrawal. And no doctor wanted to give me a clonidin prescription because that would be too risky. The told me that blood pressure had to be controlled all the time.

And what causes this excessive sweating during withdrawal?

I have a clonidine script for anxiety, I told my doctor about my previous problems with benzo dependency and he agreed clonidine would be a better option than benzos atleast in my case. I believe a lot of doctors out there have the twisted mentality that drugs shouldn't be prescribed to drug addicts because they would abuse them somehow so it can be hard to find a good doctor that is willing to help with withdrawal.

Clonidine is a godsent when withdrawing from the sedative type of drugs.

Lyrica helped me very much with the sweating and RLS
While I also read here some where that a dude said if you get a bucket of luke warm water and just put your feet in it it supposedly helps out a lot.

I know that feel though, it took me a couple weeks to get rid of the constant drenched tshirt sweats that would hit me right after I'd get up in the morning and would last most of the day.

It gets easier everyday though, just try to remember that and keep the right mindset of looking to the future of being clean and healthy.

DXM bro. Look it up. Proven to massively help opiate withdrawal and virtually all other withdrawals. Also decreases tolerance build up. But you have to research to know how to take it to help withdrawal without endangering yourself. It's famous for helping withdrawals.

I have a clonidine script for anxiety, I told my doctor about my previous problems with benzo dependency and he agreed clonidine would be a better option than benzos atleast in my case. I believe a lot of doctors out there have the twisted mentality that drugs shouldn't be prescribed to drug addicts because they would abuse them somehow so it can be hard to find a good doctor that is willing to help with withdrawal.

Clonidine is a godsent when withdrawing from the sedative type of drugs.

^^^Agreed...My methadone Dr prescribes me clonidine also, (i dont believe in lying to my doc and lucky me, i dont have too..)...I simply told him it helps me hugely with sweating and he re-newed my script 4 days ago..Ive never had an issue getting a script prior to this DR either.My mum takes it and shes not a junky...Soo its not just a junky drug either....I know of 3 different reasons its prescribed...

Maybe elevated cortisol levels could be a cause of excessive sweating during withdrawal..?

I read something about Cushing's syndrome. It's a disease you get when there is too much cortisol in the body.
Symptoms of Cushing's syndrome include excessive sweating
Withdrawal is of course far away from Cushing's syndrome. But I think, the body produces/releases much more cortisol than usual during withdrawal because withdrawal means severe stress for the body.
Maybe those elevated cortisol levels could be responsible for the excessive sweating..? When you are in stress, you will sweat more. This is what I realized. Maybe this has something to do with elevated cortisol levels. Anybody here with more knowledge of this than me?

That's just an attempt to guess. I have no idea what's the reason for the sweating. But when I know what the reason is, then maybe it is possible to find a remedy...

i just came here to say clonidine but i notice it has been mentioned numerous times already lol