• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Doctors in CT no longer prescribing Subutex???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeAddiction

Greenlighter
I hope I am in the right area as I am new to this site. My question comes from the fact that over the years, on and off I have been on subutex. I originally tried, more than once suboxone but every time it made me ill, not a tiny bit but all day puking and migraines.

Anyway fast forward five years, I have a dr I have been seeing a year now for subutex. Recently he started tapering me and says he can now only RX subutex to pregnant women. I know doctors don't like prescribing subutex because heightened risk of abuse diversion blah blah blah. He says I will not find a doctor in the state of Connecticut that prescribed subutex to non pregnant women anymore.

I feel like this is total bullshit and just so happens to come around the time reckitt benckiser put out a letter stating they were no longer making subutex for this reason. I KNOW it is bullshit but I have called every sub doctor in my area and none of them prescribe subutex only suboxone. What is a girl to do? I have been clean from dope for a year next week and previous to that I never made it more than a few months. I will be in my last semester of school in the fall and I want to stay on until then just as to not take chances of fucking up my great situation. My doctor is an incredible douche anyway and sees ten patients in less than 15 minutes.

Just looking for advice/help/suggestions. I spoke to the moderator of the NAABT website as I know her personally and she said my doctor is either misinformed or just doesn't want to prescribe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's quite the bullshit. I'm sorry to hear that OP. To my knowledge subutex hasn't been pulled. Although I'm not in CT, it does just sound like your doc is a douche.

Not to beat a dead horse, but in the future would you mind please breaking your post up into paragraphs so it's easier on our eyes? Much thanks <3

Much thanks to you both, I am having a really hard time figuring out where to post threads an what is/is not appropriate. Sorry about the long unbroken up thread, I didn't even realize what a pain that was and you are so right, much easier to read. I reposted/chunked it into sections under the suggested correct thread. Wasn't sure if there was any way to actually just move the thread rather than repost to different area. Again thank you both for your suggestions and patience with me as I navigate and learn my way around and the rules of the site ?

A little help please? So I posted it in the suggested forum and they closed it and said don't repost in forums. Is there a way to close a posting or transfer the thread to a different area? So confused ?

This thread has already been transfered. We're now in NASADD. We closed the other thread because this one had already been moved here and we don't need two of them open.

I myself am from CT, unfortunately I haven't heard anything about this topic. Not sure if a lot of people have. Be patient, if anyone knows anything I'm sure they'll chime in.

It sounds like to me ur addicted to this prescription drug to stay off off dope or oxys? Idk I've never been addicted to either so excuse my ignorance but if you've been clean for over a year but still feel the need to stay on this subotex then it clearly sounds like u got addicted to this to and ur doctor is just trying to ween u off of that to. I can't for the life of me understand why kids pick up the dope or the oxys in the first place knowing how addicting of a drug it is. I actually did heroin like 8 times and yea the high was nice but the puking for 36 hrs was a big turnoff. I just thank god everyday it was a drug I hated and don't have an urge to try again!!

It sounds like to me ur addicted to this prescription drug to stay off off dope or oxys? Idk I've never been addicted to either so excuse my ignorance but if you've been clean for over a year but still feel the need to stay on this subotex then it clearly sounds like u got addicted to this to and ur doctor is just trying to ween u off of that to. I can't for the life of me understand why kids pick up the dope or the oxys in the first place knowing how addicting of a drug it is. I actually did heroin like 8 times and yea the high was nice but the puking for 36 hrs was a big turnoff. I just thank god everyday it was a drug I hated and don't have an urge to try again!!

yeah she more than likely is addicted to the subutex but you have to look at it this way...would you rather be addicted to heroin which is illegal to possess and often have to obtain said drug thru illegal means or would you rather go to a doctor and get a legit FDA approved chemical to help keep you in a "normal" life and allow you to obtain your prescription legally?

and people pick up drug habits for a number of reason. more often then not yes they are a bit naive when it comes to just how powerful these drugs are but i dont think its right to sit here and judge anyone who does have a habit. like i said people use these drugs for a number of reasons. Legit pain, an event in life that they were not equipped to handle, family death, divorce, physical/sexual abuse, there is a long list....no one grows up wanting to be a junky...it is just a path most of us went down to escape whatever reality we were facing.

I'm not judging at all all I said was why would people start it knowing how addictive it is? I don't think they should be giving oxys for pain to begin with I mean before oxys came out if someone was in a car wreck what did they give em? I don't remember when I was younger walking thru a hospital and hearing everybody screaming in pain so they must have been taking care of w some other drug maybe less addicting. Idk maybe I sound ignorant and I did say excuse my ignorance by the way but I think she should learn to cope without the legal high. I can't believe that everybody that's addicted at one point in there lives to heroin needs to be hooked on the prescription to be able to cope w life. I'm sure there's millions of fore heroin addicts that have used suboxen or subotex to get off heroin and then have managed to get of those. U can't tell me that I'm wrong cause I know I'm right in that aspect.

She's dependent, but may not be addicted to the subutex. The two often go hand in hand, but are definitely not the same thing.

yanker, there are millions more that failed after trying to get off, and ended up back on heroin. Before oxys came there were still drugs that were more potent than oxy being given out at the hospital. Fentanyl and hydromorphone for example. Oxycodone has also been around for a long time, it was just not until the last 90's I think, that they made the OxyContin which was easier to get high off of if you have 40 or 80mg in one little pill.

Why do people try any drug that is addictive? Because they don't think that they will get addicted, and they want to experience it "just once."

yeah she more than likely is addicted to the subutex but you have to look at it this way...would you rather be addicted to heroin which is illegal to possess and often have to obtain said drug thru illegal means or would you rather go to a doctor and get a legit FDA approved chemical to help keep you in a "normal" life and allow you to obtain your prescription legally?

and people pick up drug habits for a number of reason. more often then not yes they are a bit naive when it comes to just how powerful these drugs are but i dont think its right to sit here and judge anyone who does have a habit. like i said people use these drugs for a number of reasons. Legit pain, an event in life that they were not equipped to handle, family death, divorce, physical/sexual abuse, there is a long list....no one grows up wanting to be a junky...it is just a path most of us went down to escape whatever reality we were facing.

This guy knows his shite

I'm not judging at all all I said was why would people start it knowing how addictive it is? I don't think they should be giving oxys for pain to begin with I mean before oxys came out if someone was in a car wreck what did they give em? I don't remember when I was younger walking thru a hospital and hearing everybody screaming in pain so they must have been taking care of w some other drug maybe less addicting. Idk maybe I sound ignorant and I did say excuse my ignorance by the way but I think she should learn to cope without the legal high. I can't believe that everybody that's addicted at one point in there lives to heroin needs to be hooked on the prescription to be able to cope w life. I'm sure there's millions of fore heroin addicts that have used suboxen or subotex to get off heroin and then have managed to get of those. U can't tell me that I'm wrong cause I know I'm right in that aspect.

i didnt say you were judging. and before oxycodone there were PLENTY of opiates being used. morphine and hydromorphone to name a few.

you are very naive when it comes to this situation, and you should be thankful. Not everyone has the willpower to cope with everyday life without the assistance of some sort of chemical. I, myself, have a physical ailment that leaves me in almost constant pain, not only that i also have a few situation in my life that broke me emotionally.

im not going to tell you you are wrong because you are right plenty of people have kicked heroin by way of suboxone or subutex and plenty of people have kicked suboxone and subutex as well. another point of subutex or suboxone maintenance is to give the user a chance to experience life without being high so they can learn coping skills while on it so they have a better chance of being productive once they are off the suboxone. when you kick an opiate cold turkey the physical sickness is only the tip of the iceberg. after all of the physical nastiness is over the user will most likely encounter weeks, if not months of mood swings, depression and anxiety because their bodies are not used to being opiate free. once you quit an opiate cold turkey you will still not be living a normal life because the post acute withdrawals will have you acting and feeling absolutely insane so the suboxone allows your body and brain to recuperate at a steady pace instead of having nothing in you and your body and brain go into a panic mode for weeks or months until it subsides....and the PAW themselves will be traumatizing for a lot of people

i will venture to say that you are ignorant to the entire situation, and that's fine, but you are walking a fine line coming in here and having a sort of "better than you attitude" and you may not be trying to come off that way but you kind of are. not everyone who tried heroin DIDNT like it, not everyone developed the coping skills you did as a child

edit: also just out of curiosity...what WOULD you use for a pain management drug? say you are a surgeon and you just performed a 12 level spinal fusion on a patient....what would you give him for pain?

a lot of people who are not farmiliar with opiates would say the same thing you are...that oxy shouldnt be used as a pain suppressant because it is so powerful. well i have tried multiple drugs for my pain issues and tbqh oxy really isnt that strong when relating to pain...

editx2: also every painkiller has a high likely hood of dependence and addiction

Last edited:
Fair enough I'm sorry if I offended anybody w my comments I wasn't trying too was just thinking to myself out loud I guess maybe she should try getting off the addiction completely I'm not better than nobody here I was addicted to crack for a while and lost everything I had worked so hard for in my life up until that point. But it got to a point in my life where I hit rock bottom.and I said enough is efuckingnuff and did sumtin bout it. I checked myself into rehab and got everything I lost back and then some. I know heroin and a crack addiction are 2 different things as far as ones a mental and the other is a mental and a physical addiction. Yes I know quitting heroin is a lot more dangerous than quitting crack cold turkey but there has to be a point in ur life when ur done business heroin or opiates for pain and have transitioned from being a heroin addict to just relying on the suboxen that u say to urself enough is enough I Wana be drug free. Well not completly drugfree as I still use ecstasy but don't people Wana get there lives back and live a happy healthy life? O know people that have been hooked on oxys and destroyed there lives and yes they had set backs but now there drug free from the oxys and the prescriptions it can be done u need to want it. Ok well I'm sure everybodies heard this before so I'm not trying to preach or anything I just made one comment like I said and I don't think the doctor was being a douche I think A. Hes trying to cover his ass or B he cares for this girl and feels she needs to stop be codependant on these pills

Sorry for my typing I'm on my phone driving on the highway that's my other addiction grrr

thanks Memphis..i would probably be DEAD by now if not for subs..when used correctly its a VERY helpful tool for quitting opiates.

yanker you should just head out of this thread. Thanks for your input but your way off base. Once your dependent on opioids its much safer to taper down slowly on a legal product. Ok, im done addressing you.

For the op, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get subtex. I asked my doc to switch when the generic was made available simply to make my meds more affordable. He changed me over on the spot and i have seen a few other docs after him and non have ever brought up any issues with my preference to subutex. Sadly im not in CT, but the fact is there is no reason he cant prescribe subutex, he simply doesn't want to and is feeding you BS. If possible switch doctors.

You have a legitimate reason for the switch and shouldn't be treated like a drug seeker. Subutex is no more recreational then suboxone, its cheaper and doesn't give you horrible headaches which is a known side effect of suboxone. You deserve treatment that works for you so dont take no for an answer, if he wont write the script go to someone else that will.

Yanker, I know it's hard for you to understand because there is no suboxone equivalent for crack. If you had the chance to take a maintenance drug that would keep you comfortable, allow you to keep working, and help with the cravings all without missing a day from your life then you likely would've at least tried it. Subs are a wonder drug for many people and allow them to get on the path to recovery. Not everyone can just pause their lives to go to rehab. Many junkies can't afford proper in patient care either. We don't use subs to get high, in fact it doesn't get junkies high. Like Memphis said we use subs to transition back into normal life.

It's weird to me that you question people for trying oxy yet, you yourself have done heroin which many would say is a stronger and more addictive opioid. Please understand that often times people that are attracted to uppers (like yourself) don't like downers like heroin and conversely those that like downers aren't huge fans of uppers. I can kind of understand where you're coming from as I've done tons of cocaine yet I don't understand how people fall for it and at the same time I'm very much addicted to opiates.

I know that you weren't trying to offend and I'm sure that you're now well aware of how sensitive this subject can be. People that aren't experienced with drugs often share the same "why can't you just stop?" way of thinking and many of us have gone through these types of convos irl so it can really strike a cord. If nothing else I hope that you've at least learned how valuable bupeprenorphine can be to a opioid dependent person.

Sub has no recreational qualities. Ask anyone on sub maint. They probably piled up a fuckload of extra subs unless they sold/traded/gave them away. If it was a full agonist you woul dhave the compulsion to take more. You can take as much bup eas you wan;t and you will not feel a difference. For instance I am on 4mg daily.. If I accidentally put 32mg under my tongue (yes that would be hard to do by accident) I wouldn;'t even feel any difference what so ever.

It's a drug that allows people to change the external factors in their life, clean them selves up, then detox off that when you are ready. If you are on a theraputic dose it also prevents you from havint that weak moment..fucking it all up one night and using, b/c anything over 8mg is a blocking dose and you will not get high.

The above poster mentioned crack.. if you are an amphetamine user you are in a different ball park.. actually different planet than an opiate user. I am not saying crack isn't a serious drug.. its very addictive.. but tell me this. Once you put that crack pipe down for the night or however many nights you've been up, and get your self to fall asleep, are you fiending like shit in the morning? With dope the drive to use never seems to go away (unless you ahve total abstinence from it). With crack and shit like that, it's tough to stop using while you are on your run, like you wanna keep going all night all day, but once you do stop you are straight.

And if you stop crack for like 14 days you are totally 100% in the clear. Not so wtih dope. Bupe is not methadone (though I think methadone is a valueable tool just like bupe is in a clinic environment). If a opiate addict stops their maint. drug before they have tapered very low and more importantly mentally prepared to get off drugs and be drug free, it's HIGHLY likely they go back to dope. So bupe is an inbetween point. It's a step toward sobriety.. a crutch.

I mean you are a crack addict and still use ecstasy. It sounds like you can control your addiction. But for an opiate addict it's very rare to go from full fledged addiction to being able to 'chip' or however you wanna put it.

Ah I don't even feel like typing or argueing the point. Fuck it. It's pointless to try and describe opiate addiction and dependency to someone who isn't trapped in hell with us.

Also most any doctor you call over the phone is going to say that.. they see it as drug seeking behavior. I think the reckit bensicker course tells doctors nalaxone prevents people from injecting the suboxone. The BEST argument you can give wtih a doctor, and this is much better in person not over the phone, is that your insurance fully covers generic medication but you have to pay 50% with a $500 yearly limit for named brand meds. Just make it a financial point. Or you could go the headache from nalaxone route. Thats how my insurance really is and my doc has no prob giving subutex.

Last edited:
Ill say it again I'm sorry if I offended anybody I guess I didn't realize how much of a hell a person goes thru when they're addicted to opiates. And yea I tried heroin knowing how addictive it was y idk y I couldn't really tell u why except that i was high on other drugs and I wanted to get higher so I tried it. I did it maybe 8 times and on the 6th time I woke up in the hospital from overdosing on it but did it 2 more times after that. I'm just curious can I ask a question how many times does it usually take for someone to get addicted to it? Is it once or more. I know for me w crack it was the first time it felt so good and to respond to someones comment even today 16 years later from being clean from it I still think bout it occasionally not often but sometimes and if I think bout it or talk bout it in depth I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach so u people don't need to tell me once an addict always an addict cause I know that already. The feeling never leaves u. Well

But what if you could obtain relatively pure, clean diacytlmorphine or oxymorphone or whatever over the counter at reasonable prices (not paying the illegal tax so a gram of OC would cost 10 bucks instead of 300). Then people could maintain habits without having to destroy every other aspects of their lives. Noone who didn't want to be would have to live in pain and since opiates really don't even impair cognitive function all would be gravy!

Status
Not open for further replies.