• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opana ER is being pulled off the shelves by the FDA

taylor_105

Bluelighter
So I went to the pain clinic for my refills yesterday and the trip is an hour there, and back. They gave me Opana ER 40's and Dilaudid 8 for break-through. I went to my pharmacy and they said that there was no Opana ER anywhere right now because it is being reformulated to be non-abusable like they did with the Oxycontin. The new Opana ER will not be crushable and will be like glue if you try to crush it. I take my meds as prescribed but I was mad when I found out I had to drive all the damned way back to the clinic to return the script for Opana and get something else in its place. I have been told that the new Opana ER should be hitting shelves by the end of March. Just wondered if anyone else is having a hard time getting Opana right now or if it's only Florida where they have taken it off the shelves.

If I could still use it this would make me very sad. Still, my heart goes out to you...

I'm in MD and I checked with my area pharmacy and she has enough 30mg to fill my next script although we're both aware of the switch coming. She says he computer is telling her she can order the new 40mg's right now, but I'm not totally sure she'd get the order filled or not. She said she'd order 120 for me to see what happens. So, stay tuned.

this is old news, but tragic nonetheless.
If it is old news I wish my clinic had known before prescribing it to me yesterday. With the amount of pain I was in and being raped by gas prices in this country right now I really didn't need two trips to Tampa in one day. So until the new Opana comes out I am on MSContin 60's. They are okay. I was pretty nauseated from them today though. I had to leave the grocery store right in the middle of shopping cuz I thought I was going to puke. That sucked!

I'm in MD and I checked with my area pharmacy and she has enough 30mg to fill my next script although we're both aware of the switch coming. She says he computer is telling her she can order the new 40mg's right now, but I'm not totally sure she'd get the order filled or not. She said she'd order 120 for me to see what happens. So, stay tuned.
Thanks so much. Well, if I don't like this MSContin I will for sure switch to the new Opana next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel sorry for all the Opana users out there, especially the ones that really need them. The people that snort them are gonna go through some serious withdrawals. I personally never tried them so im not missing out luckily.

I hate to say it but the addict in me has to: Just like with the old school OCs, I'm happy I got to have my fun with these before they went away forever.

I know a few people locally that were switched to Opana ER after they changed the OCs because they were not as effective as the old ones. Really feel sorry for those in pain that have to put up with this bullshit after going through different meds for years to find something that works for them just to have it pulled off the market like this. I know those people blame people like me who were just having fun, but really, its the pharma industry that causes these problems.

Why can't they just admit that yes these things are addictive and stop toying with the formulation to make then "abuse proof". All it does it hurt people actually in pain. People that want to get high will find a way, or just start going to their local friendly H dealer.

Very sorry to hear about this Taylor, I've read other posts from you so I know you're hurting. :(

Hey, at least there's still (in terms of abuse) Roxis and Opana IR. (and quite a few other significant ones, dilaudid etc.)

The terrible thing is, people who abuse these meds will always find a way to do so, but it's the chronic pain patients who suffer. As a chronic pain patient I had to switch off of OC when they changed it to OP cuz the terrible stomach pain. Now Opana is off the table, as I'm guessing it will cause similar problems in my stomach like the OP's.
I've had to switch to much less desirable meds that aren't and probably will not ever be as effective as the old school OC and Opana. =\

Just go for the Opana IR's.

If you could get Opana ER 40mg's what's going to stop you from getting the IR tablets? That's my question. ;)

It blows though, for pain, the constant ups and downs of IR meds. (IME) Haven't had too much experience with the pana IRs but if they're like every other BT med...

It blows though, for pain, the constant ups and downs of IR meds. (IME) Haven't had too much experience with the pana IRs but if they're like every other BT med...

IR meds are the best!

If you want good long lasting pain relief, look into a fentanyl patch, or methadone or LAAM.

I've tried the first two with moderate success. I'm lucky enough not to always need around the clock relief, but I daresay it can be much more convenient using ER meds, just for the stability of them.

I do like IR meds don't get me wrong, give me the dilaudid any day.

I've tried the first two with moderate success. I'm lucky enough not to always need around the clock relief, but I daresay it can be much more convenient using ER meds, just for the stability of them.

I feel you.

LAAM is taken off the market in a lot of countries due to some heart problem LAAM users were experiencing. I think it had to do with the QT interval.

oh sketch, I don't want my QT messed with. Do other opiates mess with QT? I remember methadone did.

Just go for the Opana IR's.

If you could get Opana ER 40mg's what's going to stop you from getting the IR tablets? That's my question. ;)

The ERs were great for everyone I know with chronic pain. Usually people on Opana ER have something like Roxicodone for break through pain. My friend couldn't tolerate the new OPs, and the fent patchs didn't work out for him either, and countless other stuff. The only thing he got mostly constant relief from pain with was the old school OCs, with Opana ER ranking a very close second place.

I can personally stomach the new OC OPs and they're great in the respect that I can take one and my pain would be dulled all day, but they aren't as effective as the old ones. I won't be taking another OP ever again though, because I've read about some of the bad stuff put into them. I think the fact that the price of these things on the street has dropped so much even with tons of methods for breaking the new time release goes to show just how un-popular they are now. I suppose that was the point...but is putting so many people that really need them for pain through this whole process of finding something else that's as effective worth it? I don't think it is...

It just pisses me off that we know this entire class of drugs is highly addictive and should only be used when absolutely needed and the FDA puts these people in unneeded pain just because we're fighting a war against something we can't defeat. It all comes from the poppy, I don't see why we have to add so much unneeded crap that's probably worse for us than opium itself just to prevent some junkies from having a good time.

We all also know there are a ton of stupid kids out there that will go: "Oh, well since I can't break the time release on this 80mg OP I'll just take <x> of them and get really high for 24 hours". Changing the formulations isn't going to solve the ever growing problem of pain pill addiction in the USA.

I really feel for the people that have been having too good of a time for too long with these as well. I had a few encounters with it, and one really long day where I really abused it, and I'm here to tell you coming off of Opana isn't fun at all. I can't even imagine what coming off a stable habit of Opana ER would feel like but I'm sure its really close to hell on Earth.

Oh well....next couple of months should be fun. I can't wait to see the last bit of this stuff dry up on the streets, people are going to jack the prices up ten fold just like when the old school OCs dried up.

oh sketch, I don't want my QT messed with. Do other opiates mess with QT? I remember methadone did.

Other than methadone and LAAM? I wouldn't know man. Good question. OD mods: get your google.com out and type away!

ipodspinxx3.gif

The ERs were great for everyone I know with chronic pain. Usually people on Opana ER have something like Roxicodone for break through pain. My friend couldn't tolerate the new OPs, and the fent patchs didn't work out for him either, and countless other stuff. The only thing he got mostly constant relief from pain with was the old school OCs, with Opana ER ranking a very close second place.

I can personally stomach the new OC OPs and they're great in the respect that I can take one and my pain would be dulled all day, but they aren't as effective as the old ones. I won't be taking another OP ever again though, because I've read about some of the bad stuff put into them. I think the fact that the price of these things on the street has dropped so much even with tons of methods for breaking the new time release goes to show just how un-popular they are now. I suppose that was the point...but is putting so many people that really need them for pain through this whole process of finding something else that's as effective worth it? I don't think it is...

It just pisses me off that we know this entire class of drugs is highly addictive and should only be used when absolutely needed and the FDA puts these people in unneeded pain just because we're fighting a war against something we can't defeat. It all comes from the poppy, I don't see why we have to add so much unneeded crap that's probably worse for us than opium itself just to prevent some junkies from having a good time.

We all also know there are a ton of stupid kids out there that will go: "Oh, well since I can't break the time release on this 80mg OP I'll just take <x> of them and get really high for 24 hours". Changing the formulations isn't going to solve the ever growing problem of pain pill addiction in the USA.

I really feel for the people that have been having too good of a time for too long with these as well. I had a few encounters with it, and one really long day where I really abused it, and I'm here to tell you coming off of Opana isn't fun at all. I can't even imagine what coming off a stable habit of Opana ER would feel like but I'm sure its really close to hell on Earth.

Oh well....next couple of months should be fun. I can't wait to see the last bit of this stuff dry up on the streets, people are going to jack the prices up ten fold just like when the old school OCs dried up.

Don't worry pain patients, now that the Captain has moved from the far east to the far west, there should be enough powder heroin for everyone. =D There is no powder heroin in Los Angeles county from what I can tell. I hear whomever is bringing in the tar might be bringing in some powder, but until I see it, I won't believe it. And I don't do heroin anymore anyways.

BTW - amazing screen name man. mp3 player (my p2) and head phones is a MUST HAVE while tripping on LSD! <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry pain patients, now that the Captain has moved from the far east to the far west, there should be enough powder heroin for everyone. =D There is no powder heroin in Los Angeles county from what I can tell. I hear whomever is bringing in the tar might be bringing in some powder, but until I see it, I won't believe it. And I don't do heroin anymore anyways.

BTW - amazing screen name man. mp3 player (my p2) and head phones is a MUST HAVE while tripping on LSD! <3

I just wish I could still get the stuff...sucks living in the woods. I had a great connection many years ago but he isn't around anymore. :( I haven't had a trip on LSD in going on ten years now. :( But I'm planning on moving soon so maybe my luck will change!

Never messed with H, like I've said elsewhere it just doesn't go around where I am located. I've been reading a lot about it on bluelight though. :)

I read in other threads that generic Opana should be coming out in a few months, so maybe this won't be so bad after all. Time will tell.

Heart goes out to all you guys with chronic pain out there!

How much oral dilaudid does it take to kill your pain? to get high?

I never got to try oxymorphone. :( Kinda sucks.

re: generic opana - I heard that the pharm company gets to keep their exclusive patent longer if they put out this new "anti abuse" formulation. not sure if that's true.

I just wish I could still get the stuff...sucks living in the woods. I had a great connection many years ago but he isn't around anymore. :( I haven't had a trip on LSD in going on ten years now. :( But I'm planning on moving soon so maybe my luck will change!

Never messed with H, like I've said elsewhere it just doesn't go around where I am located. I've been reading a lot about it on bluelight though. :)

I read in other threads that generic Opana should be coming out in a few months, so maybe this won't be so bad after all. Time will tell.

Heart goes out to all you guys with chronic pain out there!

I was told the new Opana ER will be on the shelves n Florida by April 1

I'll ask two of my friends in the area if they have any problems re-filling next month, I've already made them aware of it thanks to this thread so they're on the look out. :)

I won't give my exact location, but I am north of you. ;) Of course I'm sure when it does start to happen we're going to have people rolling in here asking about it.

Last edited: