Grimes - Visions ( 2012 )

i guess i'm fucked up, because i'm still not getting it. i've read people talk about it, and i'm at a total loss. music publications are more excited about this album than they were about Visions, which boggles my mind because i thought the critical masturbation about Visions was inescapable. there is nothing dangerous about this Grimes, or its so buried under the sugar that i can't hear it. i've listened to it non stop for over a month. but i'm still. just can't get it. which is sad for me. after every listen through i end up listening to marilyn manson. which is funny, i guess. it's also driven me to madonna - specifically Ray of Light. I never really had a Madonna phase, she was already too deep into her career to make it accessible to me. but just kind of on accident. I heard Ray of Light on the radio and it got stuck in my head so I downloaded the album. It's great. Maybe there is a vibratory chord that got struck this year. Because just yesterday I read the Adele profile in Rolling Stone and she talks about Ray of Light ALOT. A lot of my similarly aged girlfriends have also mentioned listening to a lot of Madonna this year. Even if i never get into this grimes, it has lead me to some good things. my copy of Mechanical Animals was growing dusty.

someone once told me, "it's a good thing i don't like cabbage. because if i did, i would eat it. and i hate that stuff. with Art Angels, it's just the opposite." good job finishing your vegetables, Kenickie.

on the flip side. it took 15 years from my first listen of Nevermind to understand and appreciate Nirvana, so maybe I'll give Art Angels a decade.

as it's at the top of my playlist, some of it has grown on me. i have to steer clear of california tho or else it will be stuck in my head all day. read the lyrics tho, great song...

bumping this not just to save it, but also to despair at how little time i had with grimes before it all went so wrong. if she released an album today i wouldn't listen to it, because of how fucking off she's been. Elon Musk is dangerous as fuck and i can't believe grimes, a person who professes to have such strict policies she'll cancel shows day of, would cover for him being so dangerous and evil by saying shit like "donating to republicans is just the cost of doing business." what happened to you? i loved you, damnit. but she isn't making music and probably won't. all her cultural capital is gone and i would have held on longer if i could listen to more than one song on art angels, but i can't.

bye grimes. it's been fun. and i'm sure visions will still appear on my phone for the rest of my life, but i'll probably never see you again.

thank you. she deserves at least a well maintained internet grave.

video feels a little "Two Weeks"-ish. i see that 'shop tattoo. it's time the us government seizes adobe and makes creative suite a public utility.

^is a good one!

her videos have a gay apocalyptic warrior posse theme going on.

you see her wave the guy through in the motocross video? i strongly suspect she smells bad, but i still want to give her a hug.

my psychologist knows who grimes is. he's always worried about how much i am or am not sleeping. so he asked why i was up late, and i said listening to a new single. his face twitched a little when i answered which, but he didn't say anything because he's professional. i asked if he knew her music. he said, "yes, she's quite hip and happening." or something along those lines. he said it with surprise. like i wouldn't listen to hip music.

Last edited:
I bet she smells meth lol.

Yeah, her videos are always themed accordingly. She seems to be a true artist in that regard.

Im not sure what your psychologist means but I believe that the subliminal messages have gotten to a new level on tv and music videos and part of why people go crazy.

music videos and part of why people go crazy.
because they change the audio to go along with the video content? drives me up the fucking wall. how do you not give the track precedence in a music video. why are we even here.

Last edited:
Yes, I see that one of the reasons. Theres also the clothing and stuff on the walls and backgrounds on series and commercial shit which makes me think its fucking planned.

I think we are here to witness, also to experience. Tho I have witnessed some shit and am starting to think that yea experiencing love makes this worthwhile. Now I just need to ask the receiptist at my local shop out lol...

Well. I'm giving Miss Anthropocene a go. "Everyone said I was a villain, so I decided to play one." Fucking finally. Was worried I was going to have to encourage her to start cutting or something. Please get on board, we have a genocide to witness and your stupid ex boyfriend has his part to play.