• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Had a panic attack after MDMA, psychologist says it wasn't the MDMA

Digging up an old thread. Slightly unrelated but it was relevant to me so I thought might be relevant to others.

No family history of mental illness.
Extensive history >10 years of drug use, perhaps once a month, mainly MDMA or psychedelics, no substantial issues bar a few bad trips.
Could do large doses >500mg MDMA spanned over a night with no issues.
Impressive career and stable employment, no immediate life stressors.

After a small sub-active test dose of DMAA (not MDMA, and it was confirmed to be pure DMAA by external professional lab testing [not by the seller]), within 10-15 minutes no effects, then stood up, BP immediately plummeted followed by instant tachycardia to 180bpmm, hyperventilation, extreme panic. Episode lasted 2 hours.
Went home and assumed was just a panic attack - had never had one before.
Had another panic attack the next day, was checked by a nurse, advised to seek medical attention if keeps occuring.
6 hours later another tachycardic episode starts, rushed to hospital.
Waves of episodic 'panic attacks' with tachycardia with elevated HR for 24hr, diazepam no effect. Released from hospital, on way home, another episode, sent back to hospital.

Some 1-2 months later (after starting to seeing a psychologist) I was diagnosed with panic disorder. I was hospitalized on at least one more occasion (HR >160, modulated with intravenous metoprolol) within the next 2 years.
Full body CT / multiple blood studies, echo studies, 24hr holter monitor all read normal.

I have since been categorized with panic disorder, adjustment disorder, a temporary eating disorder (as a result of panic). After many years I am pretty much baseline normal person now, 'symptom free' from the aformentioned, however have persistant GAD/Generalised Anxiety Disorder which is mediated by new lifestyle choices (no alcohol/drugs) and acceptance committment therapy.

I find it incredibly interesting that a seasoned and well educated drug user can pop a new amphetamine-like drug of a low quantity where his/her life was 'peachy' before hand, and then within 15 minutes his/her life spirals into physical and mental chaos for the next 2 years resulting in clinical diagnosis.

So maybe the induction of panic disorders can be caused by the ingestion of a single dose. I am reluctant without solid evidence to suggest trend leads to causality, however the timing of my DMAA experience and the immediate and intense severity of symptoms suggests that a link between the two is not all that far fetched...