Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Legal drugs in Japan

OPP

Bluelighter
So I'm heading over to Japan in a few months and am wondering what other Bluelighters experiences have been.

I think I remember reading that Mushrooms or Philosophers Stones used to be legal over there but has since been changed.

Are there any substances available legally or OTC that I should look into???

Sorry mods if this counts as sourcing and please delete.

I too asked this very same question about 6 years ago. I never really found the written law and for the most party it was in japanese so its not very easily read. There is used to be an infamous, Japanese amercian chick on bluelight who was utterly insane. Kandy something......she had a series of blogs/videos about her utterly insane drug binges from the stuff at those vendors. like the sort of binge that would make hunter s thompson blush.

Anyway there are some very famous districts in Tokyo (think where the US service hangs out) and that's where you'll find various vendors. From memory in the last few years of the last decade there was a bit of a crack down seeing how foreigners were over cookin themselves on the stuff at the stores.

either way you really won't know what's legal or otherwise. I would strongly recommend that in order to avoid the cliche of being a stupid aussie getting caught with drugs in an asian country that you just don't bother. its not worth the risk. there are far easier ways of getting ahold of research chems like 5-meo-AMT/DMT etc.

anyway Japan is great. i found myself actually having fun being utterly straight when i travelled. crazy eh

Last edited:
^ I visited twice back in 2009 and was also curious about this when i was traveling. I honestly didn't bother and stuck to drinking as it is everywhere. Don't risk it and ask around, unless you have someone already there who knows the scene.

^ Exactly.

Unless you have friends/relatives who know what the go is in countries like Japan, S.E Asia (where the penalties for being involved with anything drug related are harsh as fuck) you're better off just drinking/sober.

You don't want to be put into a hell hole prison or lined up against a wall and shot :\

I do have friends over there who have helped me out before and should be able to sort me out this time too.
What I was trying to find out is if there is anything readily available from a chemist or head shop that is restricted here.

*bump*

I live in Japan.
I have been to the few head shops in my smaller city, and what I found was nearly all synthetic cannabinoids (like Spice, K2, etc., but since these are now illegal, they have new brands).
In Tokyo, if you go to Roppongi, you will find many headshops, and more drugs.
But the police also often search people that they see coming out of said shops.
If you only have on you what you bought in the shop, you should be okay, but they are looking for other drugs.

But if you want the real answer to your question, there are two popular legal drugs in Japan.
Alcohol and tobacco. :|

^ Here in AusDD we're pretty strict on not allowing sources for anything, that's pretty vague so all good - but from here on can everyone please steer clear of availability or info on any sources/specific areas...lets try and keep this focussed on the legality of drugs in Japan, if anyone has any info :)

Mushrooms and some psychedelic research chemicals (2Cs etc) were legal and somewhat popular in Japan in the 90s amd early 2000s but since then many of those substances have been banned and pretty much wiped out. I believe there may be a bit of resurgence happening at the moment with so many new research chemicals around, some of which may not be covered by Japanese laws. I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago and while walking in a touristy area in the early evening I spotted two slightly scruffy looking Japanese guys holding up a cardboard sign in English with words like "Trippy" and "Melting" on it and pictures of capsules, smiley faces etc. I didn't approach them but I would guess they were selling a random assortment of legal RCs. I wouldn't be overly confident they'd have the knowledge to tell you how to use them safely considering they were just spruiking this stuff out on the streets.

Overall though, except in very exclusive circles, relative to the population, the drug scene in Japan is pretty non-existant. I went to a huge music festival in Tokyo and the lack of drugs there was something of a shock compared to what we're used to at home. But yeah, getting boozed out of your brains until you pass out is 100% acceptable.

^ That's right, i am no drinker but when in Japan Drink all you can because its acceptable and easy to do anywhere,anytime!!! Not worth trying to source drugs the police don't shine carefully to tourists high as i saw before in my visits.

Kratom used to be legal, not anymore. Not sure on the bath salts.

You could try Jenkem, that's always a solid bet. I do quite frequently actually. I'm actually on the jenk right now. I love jenkem, despite the fact that it is fermented shit and piss, it's quite an amazing and mind expanding drug

^ I think your 2 years late with that incredibly helpful advice

lol

I call for the useless fucktards known as NSW police to start some pointless raids and medic releases showing large amounts of confiscated Jenkem.

That will show Jenkem users and dealers that 'the people of NSW have had enough of these scumbags and that they will face the police and the consequence of their actions'.

Having lived there before and after the psilocybin ban came into effect that was indeed a sad time. Although the doses sold on an individual basis were weakish (had to take at least two or three in order to come close to what I would consider a decent trip here in Aus) the ready availability was great and the general ability to do what you like - as long as you are not making a nuisance of yourself and affecting other people negatively - was very reassuring. I can say for fact it has been, and still is possible to locate the usual suspects (green, ice, and cola in particular) you do need contacts and a very wary eye for you know who as they are fast to intervene and you will very promptly find yourself in a holding cell, remand centre, deported, fined and/or properly incarcerated. Minor quantities and mere possession will still have serious ramifications, be warned. That said, the constabulary are perhaps not as in tune as they are in many other countries, so this is one advantage all things considered. Not sure if that helps much but I thought I'd chime in.

They love to make examples of gaijins......toyko police around kabukicho have been known to set up white fellas! Look up, cameras everywhere

I'm flying to Japan soon and have been researching their prescription drug laws. I'm visiting for almost 3 weeks. It seems my blood pressure medicine won't be an issue, but I'm also prescribed Lexapro, Klonopin and Adderall. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of bringing these into Japan? I read that stimulants are not allowed for any reason, but was wondering if a few in my pill bottle would cause any issues. I've been on ADD meds for awhile and I'd hate to crash while visiting (family).

I'm flying to Japan soon and have been researching their prescription drug laws. I'm visiting for almost 3 weeks. It seems my blood pressure medicine won't be an issue, but I'm also prescribed Lexapro, Klonopin and Adderall. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of bringing these into Japan? I read that stimulants are not allowed for any reason, but was wondering if a few in my pill bottle would cause any issues. I've been on ADD meds for awhile and I'd hate to crash while visiting (family).
They take it very seriously and they will deny entry if they find them. That being said idk if they would find them.

Japanese customs officials have detained travelers carrying prohibited items, sometimes for several weeks. Japanese customs officials do not make on-the-spot “humanitarian” exceptions for medicines that are prohibited in Japan.

http://www.associatedkyotoprogram.org/bringing-medications-japan/
just some further reading

Up to one month’s supply of allowable prescription medicine can be brought into Japan. Travelers must bring a copy of their doctor’s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug. Travelers who must carry more than one month’s supply, or are carrying syringes, may be required to fill out a customs declaration form before entering Japan. To obtain the customs declaration form before you leave, or for more information on taking medication into Japan, contact the Consulate General of Japan’s Economic Section by phone at 415-777-3533 or on the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare’s website here. The American Embassy and the Consulates in Japan do not stock these forms.