• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Timothy Leary

... check out Robert Anton Wilson's work. It's better, if you ask me.

Me too... although I've only seen him speak (several hours of interviews, documentaries, etc) and not come across any of his books yet other than PDF files which are a pain in the arse to read. From what I've seen his ideas are more insightful, more wide-ranging and more believable. And he's hilarious.

over at Deoxy there is a grand section on the 8 circuits, if you scroll down there is a picture that should help you out *

http://deoxy.org/8brains.htm

The picture is derived from the Hindu Chakras. There is a sort of a correspondence between the chakras and the 8th circuit model, but they are not by, any means, the same thing. A similar correspondence can be made to one of the more popular renditions of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life (based on the Lurianic model) These correspondences have been advanced by Robert Anton Wilson and others, but again it's just a sincretic approach, they do not represent the same concepts.

But on the 8th circuit model, it it is , in my opinion one of the most fascinating theories for the development of human Psyche I've ever read. Prometheus Rising by RA Wilson is a book that many people that use psychedelics should read, as it is capable of putting a lot of things in perspective. Of course it is a just a theory, just speculation, but it is speculation one will have a hard time dismissing.

I always found deoxy a really funky site. It's not necessarily bad but its pretty spaced in an uncommon way.

Quite hard to prove or disprove the 'existence' of such circuits, isn't it? The distinction he suggests makes sense in a way, it exists by definition. But if you plan on looking in the brain and discovering evidence for separately operating modes, good luck.

It's interesting, intriguing to consider as one way to look at things, that I have to say. I kind of ends there, although you can use the ideas for your own thinking and theorizing.

If you like this model, be sure to check out Robert Anton Wilson's work. It's better, if you ask me. "Prometheus Rising" is a good book.

It's a model, and a model doesn't have to be accurate. A model generally is there to give insight into processes, and not to describe reality. As with pretty much any kind of brain function it is very hard to test theories, although I doubt physical evidence could be found for this particular model ;)

I have often felt that Leary's circuits relate to the Quabbalah Tree of Knowledge....

i bet a LOT of things relate to the Quabbalah Tree. it wouldn't surprise me if leary was fairly well versed in the esoteric, since heavy tripping always seems to lead in that direction.

Its funny, because behind the nonsene that Learry regularly spilled, he was actually a very good thinker. Whilst his interpolaton of The Tbetan Book of The Dead is a bit misleadiing , it shows that he had an astute mind and was able to link together a lot of the disparate content of the psychedelic experience. His work as a scientist if worthy of respect.

i bet a LOT of things relate to the Quabbalah Tree. it wouldn't surprise me if leary was fairly well versed in the esoteric, since heavy tripping always seems to lead in that direction.

Maybe the Quaballah Tree actually relates to a lot of things, more then the other way (well, the concept of the tree does encompass all realms of possible existence/non-existence).

Interesting that a lot of people get drawn to the esoteric, as you say, and hidden side of lving after psychedelic use. I guess its a logical evolution in a way...

:)

While Timothy Leary is a profound thinker, I wouldn't call him much of a scientist. He really didn't adhere to any scientific methodology, which is where his value really lies. The idea of the 7th and 8th circuits just seems silly and unnecessary to me.

I think Circuit 6-8 are really just one "circuit" in reality it's just a spectrum of it and we are not evolved enough to understand it well enough yet.

There are some interesting ideas in there, but I think it's ultimately just an attempt by our beloved late narcissistic contemporary Leary to rationalise psychedelic experience. The psychoanalyst in me can't help but see this as an ego-constructed hierarchy designed to reinforce existing beliefs about one's own higher state of being as well as the positive value and spiritual importance of his favorite drugs. I think it's most interesting as an insight into how Leary saw the world than a serious psychological theory to explain human consciousness or behavior. I don't know how one would go about constructing a formal model of consciousness around at least what I gathered from the wiki article... It just seems like a series of assertions, and eight vague descriptions of states of consciousness, without a clear formalised sense of what consciousness, subjectivity, language, etc. truly "are" or "mean" or what have you.

Then again, as a psychoanalyst I have my own pretty strong opinions about these things that seem pretty much incompatible with this model, so absent a discussion with Leary himself or a well-read advocate of this theory I doubt I'll find much common ground with it. The very idea of approaching subjectivity and consciousness by trying to enumerate a list of specific mental states seems silly and counter-productive to me. In vague terms, it's easy enough to talk about experiences in terms of these circuits, but any attempt to formalise it for, say, clinical use would run into a lot of problems when subjects' experiences don't neatly follow this 8 step program of Leary's. I would also question some of the implicit assumptions about how separate some of these behaviors really are - bracketing sexuality to one of the eight 'circuits' in particular seems pretty untenable unless part of the idea is that some, if not all of the circuits are always at least partially active... But at that point, it would be better to drop the hazy 'circuit' metaphor and start talking about things in specific terms, like Lacan's drives, desire, etc.? I could care less that sexuality is part the 'fourth' or 'adult consciousness' circuit and the highest of the 'normal psychology' realm - how does sexual desire actually function, and how does it relate to other aspects of experience?

All in all, it reads like Leary spinning a good tale like he always does, but without much real substance beyond a few clever observations, certainly not really much of a well-developed psychological model. Then again, my internal comparison of what I gathered skimming a wikipedia article to my own extensive beliefs and reading background in Lacanian theory isn't really a fair fight, so I'm probably just poking at a straw man misinterpretation anyway ;)

It's a really fascinating idea. Antero Alli came out with a book last fall called The Eight-Circuit Brain and WOW. If you are interested in consciousness exploration, the 8 circuit model is something you should seriously look into. Angel Tech is the book which really got me thinking about it as it was more geared towards the direct application of the ideas rather than just the theory.

http://www.verticalpool.com/8circuitbrain1.html
http://www.verticalpool.com/8cb-review.html

Then again, my internal comparison of what I gathered skimming a wikipedia article to my own extensive beliefs and reading background in Lacanian theory isn't really a fair fight, so I'm probably just poking at a straw man misinterpretation anyway ;)

Probably! :) Again, I do believe that the merits of the 8-circuit model do not fall entirely upon Dr Leary. "Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson is the definitive reference on the subject. RAW clarified a few things and switched some circuits. This book grew on me. After some skepticism when I started reading it (a feeling I always practice when reading books from New Age publishers), I became more and more intrigued with its contents, and right now is one of my preferred models of the human mind, and societal behaviour.

I even have told to several fellow psychedelic travelers that this is the One book to read to put things into context. Or better, to remove things form biased contexts, and at least have a better vocabulary to express and integrate a true Psychedelic experience

Quantum Psychology by the same author, although continuing some of the theses expressed in Prometheus Rising, is a minor work, although still with tremendous moments of insight

I think many people on this thread are taking the article too literally. It is a metamodel just like Freuds model of the psyche -Id, superego,ego is a metamodel and doesn't correlate to actual neuroanatonomical structures. This is about the only article of learys that is insightful in a unique way.
@solistus Haha! You read Lacan?! I also think this article is laden with Psychedelic Elitism that's rampant in modern drug culture. It problematic for me also because it doesn't explain the historical traditions of artists that have heavily used-abused alcohol
and psychedelics have only been known to western culture for under 100 years.

Last edited:
Yeah, although more from contemporary Lacanians (Zizek is my favorite, along with other critical theory applications of Lacan) than Lacan himself - Jacques wasn't as gifted a writer as he was a theorist and analyst ;)

Recognizing the world (or yourself) through categorization (and thus fragmentation) rather than description ("it is what it is", basically)... sounds wrong-headed to me.

hate to be rude but,
@thesmokingman
NEWS FLASH: we are living in the Occident. The western mind and identity is built on discrete ontological categories(look at the how rigidly we define sexuality), although I do think it's interesting that in the 60's when psychedelic experimentation went wild there's was also a major flux of importation of eastern esoteric metaphor to The West. It's not "wrong-headed," it's a different approach, and it's only very recently have western sceintific paradigms been able to conceptualize processes and systems as dynamic and in motion.

@solistus, I think Lacan is someone interesting if you apply him to gender studies and socialization, how you always see a group or pair of males reflecting he same image of masculinity back and forth. Zizek is pretty fun stuff. I really like Felix Guatarri of Deleuze and Guatarri, Deleuze seems to be more literary to me and I like guatarri's psychoanalytical side, if you ever find them you should read the books "Chaosophy" and "Soft Subversions." Zizek seems to have a lot of talks on the web, you should check on youtube, The Monstrosity of Christ.

hate to be rude but,
@thesmokingman
NEWS FLASH: we are living in the Occident. The western mind and identity is built on discrete ontological categories(look at the how rigidly we define sexuality), although I do think it's interesting that in the 60's when psychedelic experimentation went wild there's was also a major flux of importation of eastern esoteric metaphor to The West. It's not "wrong-headed," it's a different approach, and it's only very recently have western sceintific paradigms been able to conceptualize processes and systems as dynamic and in motion.
I didn't say that that wasn't what was going on. I'm saying I believe it's wrong-headed, or simply, I disagree with it.