• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What exactly does Piracetam do?

pzoxic

Bluelighter
Well over the past few months I've really been abusing molly, and feel that my seratonin receptors have been all but depleted by now. I've heard many great things about Piracetam though, that it actually restores your receptors and brings back the magic which I seem to have lost. Just wondering if this is really the case because it just seems too good to be true. One more, what are you thoughts on redosing on molly the same night? Does it make it any more dangerous because your seratonin levels are already low?

Better than any supplement, better than anything you can put down your neck, better than any herbal remedies,

better than ANYTHING else is time ,
The time to wait between using mdma.

30 days minimum , Realistically aim for 60 - 90 days wait.
I also highly recommend AGAINST redosing.

You have to give your brain a chance to get as close to 'normal' again as it can, Sure supplements, herbs, chemicals and even foods can aid and speed it up.
But this takes time to have effect.

Yes I do realize that the best thing to do would be to not do it at all, but I feel that my receptors are just gone and I want them restored. I've stopped taking molly now and just got passed my first month, still feel that my receptors haven't been restored much so I was just wondering if Pircatem would help.

^ great post.

Piracetam does not 'restore' serotonin receptors, but it does move the existing supply of serotonin and dopamine preferentially into the highest cognitive center, the prefrontal cortex.
Meaning the surviving receptors will get a lot more action.

It also increases communication between the two hemispheres and bloodflow to the corpus collosum that connects them. In high enough doses, it protects the brain from ischemia - meaning it improves blood perfusion and oxygenation.

It can diminish MDMA if taken just prior to it.
Several hours, perhaps a day or two is required for the effects on the PFC to take place.
And they are quite profound.

Piracetam makes one hell of a big difference in my brain function, but the benefits are not permanent.
Within weeks of withdrawal I begin to feel the return of cognitive decline, and especially emotional anhedonia.
Or at least I used to...

Things are improving and I haven't used the stuff in about 5 months.
But I'm sure I will again, especially for any future rolls that I might attempt.

But Sam is wise.
Only TIME allows for recovery from MDMA.
Lots of it, based on your description.

^ great post.

Piracetam does not 'restore' serotonin receptors, but it does move the existing supply of serotonin and dopamine preferentially into the highest cognitive center, the prefrontal cortex.

It also increases communication between the two hemispheres and bloodflow to the corpus collosum that connects them. In high enough doses, it protects the brain from ischemia - meaning it improves blood perfusion and oxygenation.

Several hours, perhaps a day or two is required for the effects on the PFC to take place.

Piracetam makes one hell of a big difference in my brain function, but the benefits are not permanent.
Within weeks of withdrawal I begin to feel the return of cognitive decline, and especially emotional anhedonia.
Or at least I used to...

But I'm sure I will again, especially for any future rolls that I might attempt.

But Sam is wise.

Thanks for your post, really cleared a few things up about Piracetam for me. If Piracetam does not help with the restoration of serotonin recptors, then my new question would be is there any supplement that would?

^ Yes

L-Tryptophan seems to work better over 5-HTP some people say.
Its the more natural option too .

Of course you can always include L-Tryptophan into your diet.

^ Yes

L-Tryptophan seems to work better over 5-HTP some people say.
Its the more natural option too .

Of course you can always include L-Tryptophan into your diet.

Hmm... so these are the magical supplements I have been looking for? Where would I be able to find these products?

Im someone who recommends against using supplements when you can benefit from foods anyway,
5-HTP isnt necessary.

Someone with anxiety related problems from mdma use, i always recommend Valerian root.
Sleeping problems also Valerian root, and perhaps melatonin.

I think you'd find 5-Htp in your local store or chemist perhaps.
All im saying is, if you enjoy mdma and want to look after your wellbeing, perhaps chuck some of those foods into your diet some of them can be delicious too.

Banana smoothies, chicken, turkey , tuna, dark chocolate , all great ways of helping to replenish lost serotonin over time

That actually doesnt sound too bad; I think I might give that a try instead of all these supplements, maybe just Piracetam though. Thanks for your quick replies, you've helped me greatly! Happy and safe rolling! :)

Tryptophan and 5-hydroxy tryptophan will increase serotonin supply.
But they will not up-regulate lost receptors.

Only St. John's Wort has been shown to do this, and its effects on serotonin in the PFC are mild at best.
It is a dangerous herb for people with panic/anxiety as it directly increases dopamine in the amygdala!
And many herbs are very difficult to study as they impact multiple neurotransmitters in different regions.

Very low dose MDMA, like 10mg, has caused up-regulation.
But this study is so far in my past that I do not recall any other information about it.

SSRIs increase BDNF and axonal sprouting in higher brain regions such as the PFC, but these often collapse upon withdrawal.
Making 'treatment' effective but certainly no 'cure' for depression.

For now, we should not assume that anything other than long periods of time will cause real-upregulation of serotonin receptors.
Even 5-HT antagonists, which blockade the receptors, will cause down-regulation with high enough doses.
And the side effects are quite terrible from what I've heard.

The only drug that I've seen that really interests me in terms of prefrontal serotonin recovery is Ketamine and memantine.
Both blockade the NMDA receptors and cause quick synaptogenesis.
The anti-depressant activity of ketamine is very fast and lasts days to a week.
But some on BL claim that long-term low-dose ket will cause a lasting improvement in brain function.

The only thing that I am leaving out is EXERCISE.
It is the one activity that heals that mind for sure.
Without a doubt the greatest tool for brain recovery that we have at our disposal.
Far beyond any drug to date in terms of effectiveness and sustainability.

I know myself that ketamine helps with after effects greatly First Bad Comedown,

Only i try my hardest not to recommend it, the occasional user (like myself) can become absolutely addicted to ketamine , and obsess about it.
Its an amazing anti depressant, one to get carried away in easily,

I was using less than a gram a week for nearly 4 months yet i still got some bladder discomfort/ increased urination frequency.

Last edited:

This had me thinking, would piracetam actually slow down 'true' healing then? What I mean is, if the brain doesn't feel normal, it tends to repair itself, up or down regulate receptors etc. If however one were to take piracetam to artificially make the brain function more normally, surely there would be less incentive for the brain to normalize itself? This way it would delay some of the MDMA use after effects until you stop taking piracetam?

The fact of the matter is that nobody knows whether piracetam can really help with MDMA related brain damage/changes. The research is just not available to make that claim. So whether it would slow "true" healing down or whatever - who knows? Probably not.

The fact of the matter is that nobody knows whether piracetam can really help with MDMA related brain damage/changes. The research is just not available to make that claim. So whether it would slow "true" healing down or whatever - who knows? Probably not.

You are correct. I would argue however, that all research begins with speculation. We don't have to end with a conclusion, I just find it interesting to contemplate on these things and to create a better understanding of how our brains and bodies work. So in essence I'm not asking for answers (necessarily) but opinions and treat them as such.

^ great post.

Or at least I used to...

But Sam is wise.

If piracetam moves the exisiting serotonin etc., isn't preloading with it more damaging?

I'm not sure what Piracetam really does, but I found some information at smartdrugsforthought.com/what-is-piracetam and wiki. These sites explained the "It also increases communication between the two hemispheres and bloodflow to the corpus collosum that connects them. In high enough doses, it protects the brain from ischemia - meaning it improves blood perfusion and oxygenation." Hope this helps you bud.

I find it particularly strange some people get the magic or at least part of it back with piracetam.
Any thoughts on that?