I hate myself and I want to die

Im not a moderator so I cant close this thread but I can choose not to participate in it any longer. I dont need your bullshit. Your ignorance is astounding.

Everyone but Missy who obviously knows me better than I do, I thank you all for your love and support.

To Missy, you should not bother to participate in thigns you dont understand. No one on here but you felt it necessary to attack me when Im reaching out for a reason not to kill myself. Im greatful for everyone elses desire to understand my position and the advice and encouragement they provided.

Thank you all.

NOLA out.

I know I said I was done with this but I wanted to ask Lars what his other option is and being a greenlight status I cant PM him and get a response. Lars, whts the other option.

Otherwise, yes, Im done. Should have checked whether PM was an option before abandoning ship.

Missy, respond all you want. Ill not respond back. I just know its gonna make yuo feel better to tell me what a shit head I am so go ahead.

Lars on the otherhand, Im open to any and all suggestions....just thought I could PM you for it and realized just now that I cant

Pharmacon: thanks for the gesture. Unfortunately I have no way to message without revealing my true identity at the moment which I percieve is not in my best interest. I appreciate it immensely nonetheless.

Last edited:
I can totally relate to the part about self-medicating. The problem with drugs is that they DO work, at least in the short term. If you haven't found a prescription medication that works, and therapy isn't helping enough to get you through the low points, and you don't have any other "healthy" coping mechanisms you can use...that leaves you with self-medication as the only way right now that you know you can get yourself through the worst of it.

I think the same thing goes for cutting, self injury, etc. I'm not condoning self-medication or self injury, but if your choice is either that or suicide then by all means use any coping mechanism that works, even if it's "unhealthy."

But yeah, we all know that these things only work in the short term, and have devastating consequences to your health and safety, relationships, and bank account. And opiate addiction is only suicide in slow motion. You're buying yourself time, in a sense.

With that small amount of time that you've bought yourself, maybe you could try to find some other ways to cope. Have you tried DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy)? It's more of a practical approach to try to give you a toolbox of healthy coping mechanisms that you can use when you're really upset. It takes a lot of practice, and you're not going to find any magic bullet there, but if you can switch over to using the healthy coping skills to get through the milder lows, that's still a step in the right direction. Maybe if you use them enough, you will find that they can take the edge off the more severe lows as well.

Now that the immediate crisis has passed, what can you do to help yourself get through the next crisis? In crisis situations, we're not thinking very clearly, so it can be helpful to plan things out in advance. Please get rid of the shotgun -- take it to a friend's house or something. Make it so that it's easier for you to go to the emergency room or call a suicide hotline than to find a gun.

Some people find it helpful to have a crisis plan in a readily accessible place, like stuck to your fridge or bathroom mirror. That way, you don't have to think -- just do what's on the plan. Have all of your information there in one place, for example, phone numbers of friends and family, phone numbers for your shrink and the hours they are available, suicide hotline information (multiple hotlines in case one is closed/busy), the names and dosages of the meds you're taking, numbers of people who could come over and take care of the dogs (give them a key), etc.

You can also go through and list what you're going to do if your distress reaches a certain level. Like, if it's a 5 out of 10, maybe taking your dogs for a walk or taking a hot shower or calling a friend/shrink (include their phone numbers here). If it's a 9 out of 10, maybe driving yourself to the ER (include directions to/address of nearest ER) or calling a family member to take you to the ER. If it's a 10 out of 10, maybe it's just call 911. I tried to find a blank crisis plan online, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Maybe if someone else has an example crisis plan, they can post it.

I know all of this sounds lame. It is lame, but who knows, it will get you thinking about these things and might be of some use. It sounds like you're in a really scary place right now. Please just try to make it through to the next hour, the next morning, the next shrink appointment, etc. Continue reaching out for help. You did a great job last night and it was really courageous of you to post. I hope that things ease up a little. You have a lot of perfect strangers (including myself) who are here to support you and want to see you succeed and want to see you happy and healthy. I'm sure you have a lot of friends and family who feel the same. We're all in this together -- you are not alone.

P.S. It looks like you've posted enough to reach Bluelighter status, so hopefully you can PM now?

artica, i tried to pm you to avoid posting to this thread again but your box is full. I live in New Orleans, the 21st most dangerous city in the world according to recent statistics. On two occasions in the last 6 months ive had ppl on my front porch. Shifting a round into a chamber of a pump shotgun is loud and unmistakeable. When I did so the rapid removal of said persons of my porch was the normal reaction. The shcotgun shifting has kept me from escalating what could have been a shitty situation. sadly, for the time being, not having a shotgun in New Orleans is foolishness. But I understand 100% where your going with the suggestion.

As to the emergency plan....Im gonna start that right now. Great advice.

And yes, I can PM now but Lars cant respond.

Thanks

Hey NOLA,

I just finished my 50th post, so I should go from being a Greenlighter to a Bluelighter and my PMs will work without restriction. It doesn't look like it's changed me over yet, but the FAQ says it can take 24 hours. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be PM-able. Also, I won't miss that annoying blinky banner. :)

Edit: You should be able to PM me now

Last edited:
NOLA im from the area, i actually go to school at Delgado... and ironically have some of the same exact problems like anxiety and the intrusive ocd... how old are you? 35, alright I re-read.

I basically quit drugs for 6 months, but have been fooling with the lesser two demons codeine sporadically. Its not solution it sucks having drugs to be the only joy in your life when it should be from good times with people but its not.
God help us.

This is why we must trust the authorities. When it comes to freedom, we Americans want all we can get. But when it comes to drugs, oftentimes one freedom is traded for another. It is for our own good that powerful medicines but potentially lethal and torturous drugs such as those from the opiate family are restricted.

Miss: From the bottom of my heart GO FUCK YOURSELF

Do you have intrusive thoughts of raping your neice? Do you have thoughts about stabbing your father in the stomach just to watch him die? Do you have 12 hour sessions of watching yourself hang your mother from hooks through her abdomen and collar bone? Do you contemplate suicide on a daily basis?

No? Well this all occured for me BEFORE my first opiate use.

I came here for a reason not to blow my fucking head off last night...not for you to tell me Im a whiney bitch who spews bullshit you havent heard since your rehab experience.

Get off your high horse for a minute and realize opiates are NOT the driving force in my wanting to die. Its whats kept me from killing myself up to this point.

Fuck all. Thank God you arent a counselor and if you are holy shit I feel for those you "counsel"

NOLA Im only a stupid 14 year old kid who likes trying dissositives like DXM. I almost rewined my life by doing so, but even I have been long enoughf arount to undertsand that all these new depresions you are feeeling are not made by your own body but by the side effekts of the drug which you say makes your depresions milder. If I had to explain your standing point at the moment I would say you are henggliding and you are in a cold brise of air which is pulling you down. All you have to do is quit the drug and your depresions will get milder from day to day until you finally make the dision to go outside and make something out of your life. I meen I bet your one of those people who are really smart from the inside they just dont like to show it. Your like me. To full of nonesense to knotice the beaty of the real world whith out the drugs. I meen if your searching for something to get rid of your despresions all you have to do is get a life. Join a group of some type and make some new friends meet some new people and boom their it is its not hard the only thing you ahve to find is the curage inside of you. Come on you can do it I belive in you I know you can.

Come now go out their rip of your cape you have been hiding behind and show the people who you really are!

It saddens me when I read about people having problems so bad that they feel continuing to struggle on in life is futile. I am so sorry that you feel the way you do NOLA. I don't even really know what to say to you except that hopefully there is a combination of drugs/psychotherapy out there that will help you to have a more meaningful existence without the problems you have, that frankly, no one should have to deal with. I have bipolar with severe mania and minor periods of depression that is well managed with medication. I wish our medical system was not so fucked up that people who feel they need opiates to live a normal life could have safe affordable access to what they feel they need under the care of a doctor instead of some drug dealer who doesn't give a shit about them. Switzerland has a heroin program that has been extremely successful. All we need is for our elected officials to pull their heads out of their asses and focus on harm reduction opposed to crime control. If the opiates help you to live your life in a comfortable fashion search for a compassionate doctor that will keep your best interests in mind. While good doctors are few and far between I can say for sure that I know they exist because I see one.

Last edited:
lars, I can and have stopped in the past. The intrusive thoughts started when I was 8 years old and have persisted to this very day (as in earlier today). I didnt do any drugs at all until I was in my 20s and didnt abuse opiates until i was 25. The two issues arent related except that I use opiates to quiet the demons in my head that I lived wiht and continue to live wiht to this day. Around age 28 I was diagnosed with bipolar which has compounded the issue. I dont want to stop opiates not because Im a junkie who wants to get high. I dont want to stop opiates because intrusive thoughts are terrifying and cause more pain than I can ever describe in words. Quitting the opiates would get me right back where i was at age 24 before i ever abused them in the first place...suicidal from intrusive thoughts. I made it years wiith opiates closing the door on the intrusive thoughts before the opiates themselves became an issue. Now Im scared shitless because the best possible outcome from rehab (having done two methadone stints to verify my belief) is that Ill no longer have opiate dependence issues but the intrusive thoughts will come back with a vengance. Thats where the no way out feeling comes from. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

To be clear, yes, i like getting high. Who doesnt. But the fact I went to methadone maintenence should be an indication that I recognized i had a substance abuse problem and took corrective actions against it. But the farther toward sobriety I got the worse the intrusive thoughts became.

I can, or have at least, function as an opiate addict. I make 6 figures (though I live on much less due to a gram a day heroin habit plus the opanas) which should be an indication of how Im able to function with an opiate addiction. Conversely, I cannot function at all with intrusive thoughts the way they were prior to opiates. I was a Cavalry officer in the Army. When I told the base shrink I had intrusive thoughts that prevented me from effectively leading troops into battle he told me "quit making excuses and man up". I threw a chair through his window and told him several choice words. Needless to say my resignation was accepted the next day and I was urged to leave base immediately.

It was only afterward that i began abusing opiates recreationally and noticed there was a line that, once crossed, quieted the noise in my head. That was at age 25. Ten years later and two methadone clinics later Im able to see the same pattern....opiates stop intrusive thoughts when used to a heavy degree. Intrusive thoughts make me want to blow my head off and keep me from leading anything like a normal life. opiate use, while harmful in its own right, stops the insanity in my head and does not prevent me from leading a life where a job and a home are an option.

I hope I answered your question but i doubt i did. I can and have quit opiates twice albeit using methadone. Both times the intrusive thoughts came back with a vengence. Im not suicidal over opiate use. Im suicidal over the hopelessness that comes from knowing this shit will be here until my last breath as a dozen or so shrinks, neurologists etc. have told me. If the opiates can no longer close that door then I have no desire to use opiates. Conversely, if nothing can shut that door, and nothing else has, I have no desire to live either.

Hope that makes some sense. Im running out of ways to explain teh unexplainable

I take bak what i wrote before half of it is true but what ever i hadent read this then yet.
It seems your pain gets milder as you tell other poeple your problems I undertsnad how you feel not from me my self being in thay position but from having somewhat the same feelings sometimes. It seems you really only use opiates to make your deoresions milder though they should make them more agressif. You should know that you should never take a drug to get away despreshion because they usally only get worse that way.

its seems your mind is in your way. Evevery timey you want to make a new beginning you start thinking up horrible thoights which make you feel bad which close that option for you. If its possible try just vor your self stopping opiate for about 3to 6months when the despresions get more agresive try spemding time with frined sor doing sport to go around them of corse at one point you will have to facethem for that you should get a pyciitrist to help you. Dont take any medications during this period. then try only and really only thinking positive thoughts and every time a megative tough comes of think of rainbows and the feeling you had when you had good times maby love or happyniss or the feeling of heling someone. If you manage to do this I belive you got though the worse but I meen I dont think you will even think of even trying this because your to stuck with the thought that the despreshines will kill you.

No you have to ask your self are you srong enoughf to atleats give it a try or do you wanna end hopeless. And when people think back of you they will only have in mind (drug addict, dies though taking drugs) which is actully not true because like you said its your self who does this to you.

But i belive in you i know you can atleast try before giving it all up i meen what else are you gonna do get high and just wait for your depresihons to get so stong until you finally have enoughf and just shoot your self? please atleast think about this option dont do it for your self but do it for every one who loves you who belives in you who likes you.

I just briefly read through some of the posts on this page and I feel like we all to some degree are in the same boat. I had been in therapy for years before but because I was making good grades, stayed out of trouble in school, and well liked by teachers and the community no one suspected I had mood and emotional disorders. I too am bipolar, adhd, and clinically depressed. I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar disorder until a year and a half ago. Only recently have I been on a decent regiment of meds so that I can get through the weeks of darkness without them being too dark and the weeks of little sleep and feelings of being a rock star when I truly am not.

I used a variety of drugs for the better half of my life, self-medicating -- which is very common for people suffering the things we have. It was only in the last four years or so that I started abusing opiates on a level that was headed toward dependency. I was in college when I first tried dope and for the the first two experiences, I snorted it. On the second one I snorted, but my friends slammed, and I knew instantly that we were not feeling the same thing and I had to know what that was like. As soon as I did, no more weed, rarely any trippings, no more anything unless it was free or an occasion other than dope. I was in college studying what I wanted to study at Loyola, on scholarship, good job, great internship, and I worked for an amazing apartment. After I started slamming dope, my life got all turned upside down. My first run, I lasted for about 8 months before becoming suicidal and actually making a failed attempt. Immediately after I asked for help and went to my first AA meeting. It took a good while but for the next few months I was consistently making an effort to get off and eventually went to treatment.

I was initially only going to stay thirty days but felt I needed to stay longer so I tagged on another 60. I even transferred schools for a little while because I was afraid I would have dope in my face to much down here to resist. Well I ended up hating the school I transferred to and moved out to California. I wasn't entirely sober but I wasn't slamming anything at the time. Things were looking up. A friend and I who moved out there together, ran a grow op which was the most gratifying job ever. And it felt so good to just smoke buds and not feel the need for something else. That lasted for a while until my disease got the best of me.

I hadn't yet been diagnosed for bipolar disorder and I stopped taking i stopped taking the anti-depressants because they weren't working for me. This already was a recipe for the impending disaster. Well my partnership was interrupted by my friend who's homesickness and indecisiveness caused me to have to close up shop. I wasn't bringing in enough cash within the 8 months we had been there to cover operational costs and living expenses, not to mention we shared his car, which was now leaving with him. His family had given him an ultimatum to either return home and go back to school or be cut off entirely. Phone, car, medical insurance, the whole nine. I already was having to pay my own bills without owning a car so I knew what it was like to be completely responsible for myself, he was not and under pressure he folded. When he told me, I had a breakdown and the first panic attack I've ever had. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was in downtown los angeles on spring street when he told me and I hit the ground grasping for air. In a matter of seconds, my dream which I had worked so hard to get that far, was being dismantled by his mother who was in north carolina, on the other side of the country. I was heart broken and my emotions were every where. This meant a few different things for me that I hadn't considered granted something like this happen, because I was convinced that it wouldn't and couldn't. I was wrong.

If I had to return to the gulf coast, I would have to beg my parents to let me crash for a little while which is not only humiliating enough, but I was not even sure they would let me stay, much less welcome me. I had also run from probation because of some bullshit they were going to violate me on and when we headed west, I didn't even think twice about it. Well now I was having to consider how desperate and unfortunate my days ahead were looking. Needless to say, I had a friend down there who was getting loaded and had invited me to join on a number of occasions but I was too happy to want to fuck it up, however, now --- I was down like peter brown. He lived in Santa Ana and had this tar hook up that was coming from a sub-group of the cartel. I only say that because I mean this shit was fucking potent!!!!!!! And fucking cheap too. Bad combination for me on a binge. Grams were 100 and if you actually got that much, it could last you like 5 days of several shots a day. 20 bucks is what I usually spent and I could easily stretch that two days. I had two months of play before we had to fold up shop and move back east. Well every day of those 2 months I was getting LOADED.

When I came back, which was a whole different story, but I'll say this much, we ended up getting arrested at a boarder patrol check and my "best buddy/business partner" and his mother who had to fly down to el paso to get the car out of the impound, left me with what I could carry and 20 dollars in the middle of the desert. So basically he fucked up our business, stole all my shit, and left me in the desert. I never talked to that fucking prick again. It took me a week to get back to NOLA. I arrived physically, mentally, emotionally broken, sweating and feeling dope sick, luckily not unbearable but still not in the least bit pleasant given the circumstances. My parents took me in under the condition I clean up my act, deal with my legal issues, get clean, and go back to meetings. I did, and over a few months things were starting to get better. I had been suspected as bipolar at this point but not yet put on mood stabilizers or back on an anti-depressant. I got a job, I bought a car, and I started being social and establishing a network again, I was looking at going back to schoool and all of a sudden, my parents come to me and tell me they are going on a trip to Europe and then cruising all they way back to New Orleans. The trip would take 5 weeks and 3 of them they would be on the ship. And here's the kicker -- they said I could not stay there while they were away. This is like less than a weeks notice that I need to figure out someplace to go for 5 weeks, in the area, if I wanted to keep my jobs. My jobs gave me free access to a Nautilus gym 24/7 and the ability to play golf for free on either of our 18 hole courses not too mention good pay. I would normally crash with friends, but where my parents live, what friend's I did have, were either no longer in contact with me, or smart enough to move away or were at school far away so I did not have that option.

I quickly made a decision and ended back here for a while couch surfing until I put a little something together. It didn't take me long because I am quite the hustler, however, unstable as I was, feeling lost, abandoned, failed, and without purpose I returned to my best bud leroy brown who felt the same as I remembered just a few months prior. Another 8 months of that go by, and then the cycle repeated itself. I got cleaned up and this time because my family and my therapist were putting a heavy lean on me to get some psychiatric treatment and medication. I checked into a behavioral hospital and did an outpatient program for 2 weeks which set me up with a good regiment of doctors who eventually gave me an official diagnosis and medication. It took a while but eventually it started to work.

I managed to stay moderately clean for some time before I was in a huge car accident. I was on my way into the city, just crossed over the lake on i 10 about a mile past the irish bayou exit behind a flatbed 18wheeler when a stap snapped and cargo fell all over the highway. I was the first of eight to get hit. A forty pound piece of metal cut my car in half. I was all fucked up,. luckily I turned out fine, and not one of the 8 cars that were hit actually collided with another vehicle. I was injured pretty badly, and immediately prescribed painkillers. I had an orthopedic surgeon, 2 months of physical therapy, 2 cervical epidurals, pain management , the whole nine yards. My parents had taken me in after the accident and eventually I started shooting my roxy's and they found a spoon.

They asked me to go back to treatment or get out. I really didn't need it at the time nor did I want to go, but I did. I ended up truly enjoying it there and getting something out of it. I was going to stay another 30 which focused on trama/ abuse/ and shame reduction which i was really looking forward to until i was kicked out 5 days later for jokingly punching another patient which apparently was breaching the 0 tolerance policy of showing aggression to another patient. Since I have moved back to nola, but I still deal with the pain from the accident. I don't have a doctor here so I've been doing that brown because my tolerance had dropped and it wasn't that expensive but its been 2 months now and its getting really frequent and much more expensive. I'm trying to nip it in the bud but I need a legit prescription from a pain doctor. Got any suggestions on who I could go to because I really want to get off the h before its been too long.

Thanks for reading.

Add me as a friend if you're from nola or in the area. We should help each other out.

Hi nola, I just read your thread and I hope I'm not to late or you have not done anything to hurt yourself.
I read your post and that is exactly to the tee my life all the way down to believing that a demon must be controlling me because everything goes wrong and everyone who comes into contact with me, i seem to ruin their life somehow. I'm 31 years old with a brother and a sister. I have no friends, my family has turned on me. It's just me against the world. The only drug I consume is oxycodone which I'm addicted to. I had it all when the economy was good. I went from making half million a year to jobless the last few years. I have absolutely no self esteem, and all positive thoughts have flown or the window. The only thing holding me back from leaving this world is I have a 2 1/2 or old son. He is everything to me I didn't even know it was possible to love ord adore a person as much as I do my little boy. I hardly see him becausei have no vehicle and he lives 90 miles away from me.
I have no money no job and i don't even have the proper clothes to go on an interview. My old clothes don't fit as I gained weight because I'm super depressed/ feeling suicidal. I Have nothing left. No enthusiasm. No energy. I feel the only route left for me is death. My brother doesnt understand. He is a police officer, and just tells me it will get better when it only gets much worse. I pray everyday that I hit the fantasy 5 so I can start my life over before it ends. If anyone has been thru this and made it who knows what to do please tell me. I'm so sick of feeling like this and thinking of dying. I'm nota bad person. I deserve a normal life soi can be with my little boy.

You are not a bad person because of addiction. But deserving? I'm not sure any of us deserve anything in life. Some of it is out of our control and some we create. The best thing you can do is to ask for help for your addiction and then put all your effort into healing yourself so that you can be a positive force in your son's life. Families get burned out but it doesn't always mean they have given up on you for good. Addiction takes its toll on everyone. Deep down you probably know that there is more to heal than just your addiction. Do you have any access to counseling?

I have to think about my mom... and how she already lost one kid.
I have to think about my dog. She loves me big time.
I even think about my bonsai trees.
I DONT...think "these people would be better off without me"... cuz thats what I used to think...and I didnt have access to the 45 or I would have shot myself in the head last year. I went to the closet and looked for it but my roomate had taken it to a different house. I ended up in the mental hospital that night. No. The people who care about you would be much MUCH worse without you.