• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ So from what I gathered you're taking 16+mg a day and are experiencing headaches. In my experience, any dose above 6mg will start to cause unwanted side effects such as headaches, nausea, ect. Do you experience headaches without the alcohol? Just as many of others have mentioned, suboxone in lower doses (.5-2mg) seems to produce the best results with the least side effects. Though I wouldn't just jump down from a high dose such as yours, but try to to take a little less next time and see how it goes.

As for suboxone in an alcoholic solution, some studies suggest the SL bioavailability can be increased up to 70% as opposed to the normal 30%, so keep this in mind.

Thread Version 1.0
Thread Version 2.0
Thread Version 3.0
Thread Version 4.0
Thread Version 5.0
Thread Version 6.0
Thread Version 7.0
Thread Version 8.0
Thread Version 9.0
Thread Version 10.0
Thread Version 11.0
Thread Version 12.0
Thread Version 13.0
Thread Version 14.0

phrozen said:
What: Suboxone = buprenorphine/naloxone. Bupe is a partial agonist(mu) and antagonist(kappa). Bupe has higher mu affinity that most opiates, including some antagonists(naloxone, naltrexone). Its higher affinity allows you to shoot suboxone tablets. It also may cause precipitated withdrawals if you are dependant on other opiates. Also, its higher affinity blocks the affects of other opiates when taken in conjunction with bupe.

Dose: Depends on tolerance. 1-2mgs is a typical recreational dose for someone with no tolerance. If you're using bupe to taper off of another opiate, you should dose once you're experiencing wd's(typically 36-48 hrs. for most opiates). Start with 2-4mgs and dose at 2mg increments every 30-45minutes until a dose holds you. Most people take their full dose once a day.

Withdrawal: Typical physical and psychological symptoms associated with opiate withdrawal. Insomnia, chills, diarrhea, depression, anxiety, lacrimation, sweating, increased heart rate, etc. They are not as strong as a full agonist's symptoms, but may last longer. Physical symptoms last 1-2 weeks on average and psychological symptoms may last months.

As most opiates, it's recommended to taper down to the lowest dose possible before stopping. <1mg is ideal. The best way to dose at that level is to crush up a tablet and divide the powder into lower doses.

Ceiling: 24-32mgs

Bioavailability:
jasoncrest said:
Buprenorphine bioavailabilities:

intraduodenal: 9.7%

intrahepatoportal: 49%

intramuscular: 68%
"The observed mean intramuscular bioavailability was 68%"
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the intramuscular (bioavailability, 50%–100%)"

intranasal: 50%
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the [...] intranasal (bioavailability, 48%)
"The bioavailability of buprenorphine, HCl (BPP) in sheep after nasal administration of two formulations has been studied. 0.9 mg BPP in 150 microl was administered nasally and compared to 0.6 mg i.v. The test solutions were formulated with 30% polyethylene glycol 300 (PEG 300) and 5% dextrose, respectively. The bioavailability for PEG 300 was 70% (S.D.+/-27%, n=6), whereas the bioavailability for 5% dextrose was 89% (S.D.+/-23%, n=6)."
"Mean intranasal bioavailability was 48.2 +/- 8.35% (mean +/- s.e.m.) of the intravenous value"

intrarectal: 54%
"bioavailability of the drug was found to be: [... ]intrarectal (54%)..."
"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] intrarectal, 54%..."

intravenous: 98%-100%

oral: 10%
"the oral bioavailability for buprenorphine is state to be 10%"
"due to extensive first-pass metabolism, buprenorphine has very poor oral bioavailability (10% of the intravenous route) if swallowed"

sublingual: ~30%
"Buprenorphine is well absorbed sublingually, with 60% to 70% of the bioavailability of intravenous doses"
"Study results indicate that bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine is approximately 30%"
"Literature on bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine presents variable numbers ranging from. 19–58% of the administered dose."

"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] sublingual, 13%"

transdermal: 15%

Other Notes:

• Bupe is CIII in the US.
  • Metabolized by CYP3A4(see potentiation thread for potentiators).
  • Half-life: 37 hours.
  • Drug tests: Not detected by regular 5 panel tests.
  • A interesting thread by 'medicine cabinet' about a new version of Suboxone that's currently being tested can be found here.
  • Buprenorphine gets metabolized into norbuprenorphine and into conjugated buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine.

p05331b1.jpg

Subutex

p05331a6.jpg

Suboxone

Buprenorphine4%28a%29.preview.jpg

Generic Subutex Manufacturer: Roxane

bupr5378.jpg
bupr5379.jpg

Generic 2mg Manufacturer: Teva | Generic 8mg Manufacturer: Teva

sub01-0005-11.jpg

12mg Suboxone Film Strip

RBK12080.JPG

8mg Suboxone Film Strip

RBK12020.JPG

2mg Suboxone Film Strip

bupe_tablets.jpg

Temgesic, 0.2mg

16buprenex.jpg

Buprenex Ampules

Locate a doctor that prescribes Suboxone.

Suboxone Assistance Program - Free Suboxone for Low Income Patients

Alcohol and Suboxone - Alcoholic Solutions for Higher BA With Sublingual Use**
Buprenex - should I IM or IV?
Buprenorphine and Antihistamine IV FAQ
Buprenorphine as a recreational drug?
Buprenorphine dosages commonly prescribed are unnecessarily high
Buprenorphine for depression?
Buprenorphine patches
Buprenorphine withdrawals?
Ketoconazole Potenation of Suboxone
Mephedrone and Buprenorphine
Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ - How to Micron Filter Suboxone
Nasal Administration of Suboxone - Issues
Rectal (Plugging) Buprenorphine
Suboxone in place of Naloxone in the event of an opiate overdose*
Suboxone sublingual film official thread
Subutex has gone generic
Tramadol and Suboxone

Discussion in the Suboxone mega thread goes along quite quickly, so we have a few other threads to promote intermediate/advanced discussion of buprenorphine and its formulations. These threads are meant to divert some of the more advanced discussion that otherwise becomes buried in the mega thread.

If there's another link you think which would go well in this list of related buprenorphine threads, please let me know. We're trying to reserve extra threads on buprenorphine for more intermediary/advanced discussion mostly to reserve the mega thread for a place for questions that can be answered quickly, and the other threads for a place for questions which will otherwise not get the same discussion going on in the mega thread, due to its quick pace.

If you have an idea for a new thread on buprenorphine, it's probably best to figure out by talking to a moderator first to see if it's thread worthy or should be discussed in the mega thread.

*Not Advised. Opiate antagonists are the only safe thing to do in case of an opiate overdose. Please do not give people Suboxone if they have overdosed.
**also known as "6/7's method" or "SixPartSeven's method"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I was about to make this post but you beat me to it.

Also an idea: maybe put a pic of a 2mg strip up there? As well as a pic of the strips themselves? A wrapper doesn't show much, and at least you should show both variations of the wrapper anyway so people know whats good. The 2mg wrappers are green.

Good luck to everyone on subs. i'm down to .75mg! Hoping to be off of it within the next few weeks.

How does suboxone compare to normal opiates for constipation? Will I be able to go regularly on suboxone? Advice?

How does suboxone compare to normal opiates for constipation? Will I be able to go regularly on suboxone? Advice?

It's much much better.. I mean, some people still have issues but usually nowhere near as bad as when they were on a full opiate like heroin or something. I personally have never had any problems like that on suboxone and I was on it for a long time.

Also an idea: maybe put a pic of a 2mg strip up there? As well as a pic of the strips themselves? A wrapper doesn't show much, and at least you should show both variations of the wrapper anyway so people know whats good. The 2mg wrappers are green.

Done. Good thinking.

Good luck to everyone on subs. i'm down to .75mg! Hoping to be off of it within the next few weeks.

In addition to the 2mg strip, they now make a 4mg and 12mg strip (wrappers are purple and orange)
Source: suboxone.com

Hot damn a 12mg strip...no one needs that whole thing at once...incredible that they went so high

Last edited:

Maybe pictures of the "fairly" new Hi-Tech subutex tablets also ?

I agree...not bad at all especially when you get to the 1-2 mg. dosage
Edit: (constipation)

[/QUOTE]It's much much better.. I mean, some people still have issues but usually nowhere near as bad as when they were on a full opiate like heroin or something. I personally have never had any problems like that on suboxone and I was on it for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Sub constipated me much worse than any other opiate I've tried. I am particularly susceptible to opiate constipation, everyone has an individual response. I would use Miralax(peg 3350, a synthetic super water holding substance) same day then daily thereafter to be safe, and taper your daily dosage down (if your stool is sticky) until you can judge your individual reaction.

One of the main functions of your large intestines is to absorb water from your stool. Opiates slow or stop the peristaltic muscle contractions which causes your stool to move more slowly, causing your intestine to absorb too much water, which causes your stool to stop moving... and this can cycle onward and result in impaction and a trip to the hospital. Nothing to treat casually.

Also, stimulant laxatives(senna, dulcolax, etc) are not helpful and can actually cause harm in this situation.

This is applicable to all opiate-induced constipation. Prevention is by far the best option.

How well does bupe work for coming off of Opana IV. I have used bupe to come off of many opioids and it has always been pretty painless but this is the first time I'm using it to come off of an IV Opana habit and I'm scared since I've heard many reports that Opana WD is particularly brutal and that bupe did relatively little to ease the WD.

Anyone have any experience with this?

^ sure the initial induction may be more painful than usual, but eventually you will level out... either way it would be a lot less painful then CT

however, ive never withdrawn from opana alone so ill let someone else answer with more detail or exp on this particular topic.

Hey friends,

Today is day 10 of suboxone withdrawal...here's a quick recap. Started at a dose of 1mg daily for 8 months..addicted to opiates for 3 years prior to 8 months.

Day 10-6: .5mg
Day 5 to 3: .25mg
Day 3 to now: no dose

I've had strep throat since jan 1st and today I feel atleast 75% better today then yesterday. I can breathe through my nose..my head is only hurting a little..my throat doesn't hurt. I think tomorrow it'll be gone. Today I will consume my first protein shake in 4 days. I just ran out of bud which I was using to smoke before bed with NyQuil to sleep until 5am. Today I woke up at 4am and was tired all morning, I think I fell asleep for an hour somewhere between 9am and 11am as I watched 2 different episodes of Lost on Netflix but don't remember either. I'm still sweating at night and I have no energy today.

doesnt sound too bad. mine was much worse but i jumped around 2 or 4mg; i dont even remember because i was in so much pain from an ear infection i just kept eating strips and crying.

im at day 11/12 ish and my heart is still pounding which keeps me up at night. it is extremely uncomfortable but i cant move around forever, i have to rest sometime and thats when i gets bad. everything else is almost gone though, the sweats and RLS is minor (but that is still mildly put).

i keep trying to find a position i can rest in that might help my heart not be so noticeable. i can feel it pounding in my neck and my ears. ugh its gross.

*and they should take all those feathers and shit off their ads. makes suboxone look all warm and fluffly. they need a skull and cross bones on those pamphlets.

I have a question that i would greatly appreciate an answer to. I understand that there may be no definite answer and no possible way for me to get a definite answer but anyone with personal experience and /or advice would be very helpful.

So I became a MMT patient last thursday (1/3/13) they started me out at 20mgs, the next day i was moved to 25mgs (1/4/13), then 30mgs (1/5/13) and 30mgs again on sun (1/6/13), then on monday and tuesday I recieved 35mgs (1/7/13 and 1/8/13) today i moved to 40mgs (1/9/13).
I went to a suboxone doctor yesterday becuase I do not want to stay on methadone for various reasons. I will be able to pick up my first perscription of suboxone on friday from the local pharmacy the sub doctor advised me to stop taking methadone today and depending how i feel either take the suboxone friday evening or preferably saturday.

My question is since I have only been on methadone maitenance for 7 days at relatively low dosages ( Highest dose (ever) being 40mgs today, when would it be safe to take the suboxone?
I really want to avoid precipitated withdrawal, the doctor said it varries alot and since i have only been on the methadone for a short period of time (7 days) and at low dosages i could possibly take it it friday morning
(48 hours from my last and hopefully final methadone dose) or would it be better to wait til saturday morning giving me 3 days (72 hours.)
My main concern is i have to work on both friday and saturday...

I would greatly appreciate some advice thank you all very much.

listen, to avoid that precipitated withdrawal, you have to take extremely small portions of your suboxone. i mean the smallest piece you can possibly remove. then wait 2 hours, and do it again. you could do this when you begin to feel sick. but you HAVE to use very VERY small doses of bupe. this works.

you need to slowly transition the bupe onto your receptors. otherwise itll kick off all that methadone and youll be in hell with no escape.

Subs & a High?

I got a couple hundred 8mg subs laying around. Anyway at all to get a buzz off these things? My opiate tolerance is high.

Myfriend, being an impatient idiot.. Just Injected two bags of good quality Heroin- This being 12 hours after taking Four mg. of Suboxone. He felt the initial rush, but the high didn't last and the rush was noticeably stifled. :/ How many must I.. Er he, waste his money? Dammit!

In my personal experience, 2mg's and under doesn't really block much... even if you've been taking it everyday. Of course, I have a really fast metabolism so it gets out of my system faster than most but I have a lot of friends who go through the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.