• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yoga

*Love*Lite*

Bluelight Crew
Lets Talk YOGA

Hi Ya'll! <3
I did a quick search and the last Yoga thread in HL was from 05 so I figured I'd start a new one.

I find that yoga is one of the healthiest things that I can do for my body and mind each day. Im interested in hearing some fellow bluelighters routines and thoughts on different poses people enjoy and just anything that is yoga related.

I'll start :D (when healthy and in the mood) I usually do 45 mins of yoga, I always do sun salutations and really dig a long intense down dog ;) I follow yoga up by meditation for 10-20 mins depending on how long i can keep my mind still for... its an art as we all know (some days are better than others) But my absolute favorite thing about yoga has to be the warm energy that flows through your body when your done with your work out, all tingly and warm <3

a couple years ago I did ashtanga yoga, first series and then a teacher said I should start second series (which I completed). Its a vinyasa yoga which means each pose is held for 5 steady breaths and in between there is a flowing movement (up dog and down dog). I worked hard on being able to lift up on my hands from seated positions and float back (using core strength) to a 'plank' type position...and then upward back stretch, then arch into downward stretch...then float one's feet back up to one's hands and start the next pose.

I am going to get back into yoga very soon as I hear it calling my name again. I know it works for me (to make me a better person more calm more efficient, happier). Its proven technology (for me).

this time I am going to build a practice around difficult arm balancing asanas, some backbends, and inverted poses. I'd like to choose 5 or 6 very difficult arm balances and link them with vinyasa (no asana without vinyasa imo).

Here's ones that I have my eye on learning and are basically what I want my practice to center on. These are all poses that I am capable of doing correctly and have been taught by some experienced folks back in the day I wouldn't jump right in without previous experience though! Start slow and build up is the key to a solid practice.

Anyways here's what I'm thinking about:

02b-Vishwamitrasana-Vinyasa-out.jpg

float into this one from 'plank':

08b-Urdhva-Kukkutasana-A.jpg

my favorite! galvasana:

11-Galavasana.jpg

tres difficult, eka pada:

12-Eka-Pada-Bakasana-A.jpg

16a-Astavakrasana-A-Vinyasa-in.jpg

float down gently from headstand into this one:

21b-Viparita-Dandasana.jpg

of course Dhanurasana:

49-Urdhva-Dhanurasana.jpg

to calm things down after those backbends:

54-Paschimottanasana.jpg

The mother of all Asanas, Lotus:

10-Padmasana.jpg

I work for a yoga studio (front desk) part time while I'm in school. I get free classes but haven't been to one in months :(

When I first got the job I went almost every other day for a month or so, and I definitely felt the benefits. I really need to get into a routine with it again...

the best way I've found imo is to have a solo morning routine

this way you can really push yourself

if you are learning then you need an instructor

ideally instruction is on a one-to-one basis.

a good way to practice is find a studio that has very experienced teacher and allows people to do solo practice while the teacher comes around and gives individual instruction to each student. This way you can work at your own pace and are not limited to any format.

^^yeah, the place I work for is actually really big for a yoga studio (we have 3 studios in the building actually, 2 of them can fit 40 people comfortably).

Anyway, during the morning/day time there's usually only an average of 15 or less people in each class, which I always liked more because then you get more 1 on 1 instruction from each instructor.

I have taken a couple Iyengar classes lately come to think of it, but I really prefer Vinyasa overall. Think I'll maybe hit up a class tonight if I get out of school early enough :)

if you're not sweating hard then its impossible for me to really get into asanas, hence the need for vinyasa between to keep the heat up

^^ Ive heard of hot yoga studios, where they pump up the heat in there so you can get a nice sweat going even if the postures are not quite so challenging. Those were some great photos Andy! <3 Can you do the 3rd pose?? And oh those back bends, I love them!

I just got into yoga in these past few weeks or so. I dont really have a solid routine worked out yet as I'm still learning, watching the videos and reading the books and all that. I've just been trying out different poses(asanas, right?) to see which ones come naturally and which ones I need to struggle to get into.
It's a lot of fun and I can already start to feel some of the positive energy and benefits everybody talks about <3
I definately want to look into finding a class around here since everybody says that's the best way to go for a beginner.

hello fellow yogis, ive been doing yoga for about 5 years now and will never stop till i die, i love it. right now im doing yoga like 2 or 3 times a week by myself, hour sesh each. yoga classes arent cheap so i stop going to real classes about 3 years ago. i agree with you gaian P that morning seshsies are the best, it gets your day started right and you feel good the whole day...

bikram yoga are those hot yoga classes, they put the temp to 103 or something ridiculious. i really dont like bikram, i went to those classes for a month straight and its just like hell in there. your sweating before you start moving lol, maybe if your super fat and wanna lose tons of wieght then it would be chill, but i like regular temp yoga better.

i use to do all those pranayama brething exercies and other strict non asana yoga stuff when i first started. i really wish i had time to practice the whole yoga aims, maybe when i dont have work as much i will. well anyway my favorite poses gots to B back bends and hip openers, and more backbends.

anybody follow up on the chakra system? or what about kundalini yoga? dang all this yoga makes me wanna stretch

Those were some great photos Andy! <3 Can you do the 3rd pose?? And oh those back bends, I love them!
yes the third pose galvasana is one of my favorite poses because its so fun! although now I haven't tried any of those in ummm...a year almost. I find it comes back quick though with yoga

I'd love to have a mostly inverted practice!

i forgot how much yoga is fun!

^^ Ive heard of hot yoga studios, where they pump up the heat in there so you can get a nice sweat going even if the postures are not quite so challenging.

My girlfriend is a certified yoga addict, and she swears by hot yoga. She hates doing yoga under normal temperature conditions now haha.

I've been sitting lotus for 12 years and formal yoga for 7.
My favorites are floor positions including crow, forward bend, and twists. I also like the back bend series. Balance, inverted, and the upper body asanas that GP posted are also favorites. Usually my goal is to work up a good sweat but I'm not there yet on my discipline. A good class will get me there every time though. Cultivating a yoga mind can be accomplished at all times.

Just checked out a B.K. Iyengar book from the library. He is very fascinating and provides a good description of comprehensive mind/body yoga. I find that people/instructors in many yoga classes put an especially large focus on the body at the loss of mind. This seems especially true in "hot" yoga studios.

yes the third pose galvasana is one of my favorite poses because its so fun! although now I haven't tried any of those in ummm...a year almost. I find it comes back quick though with yoga

I'd love to have a mostly inverted practice!

i forgot how much yoga is fun!

GP, what's your plan in terms of fitting in a daily Yoga practice with your weight training? Or will you do the two on alternate days?

I've been trying to get into Yoga, but classes are so expensive and I'm pretty short on money these days. How important is it to go to classes? Would I be able to start my own practice on my own, if so where do I start? I've been trying to see if any of the studios in my area would do some sort of work study program, where I work for them a few hours a week and get a few free classes. Any input would be appreciated!

GP, what's your plan in terms of fitting in a daily Yoga practice with your weight training? Or will you do the two on alternate days?
hey man I don't see why I can't do both (I have before).

I'm pretty dedicated to lifting and still want to make my goal of 15 more pounds of lean muscle this semester (I'm being.......helped along 8)).

but yeah I've been doing low intensity high volume weight lifting on my days off (to get blood flowing) so I've been lifting every day now for the past 2 weeks or so and I feel fucking awesome. Like an animal.

So I think yoga won't strain anything (although I'll probably drop the high volume off day stuff soon).

Also swimming is going to be added back again to my schedule I love swimming :)

i loved the way my ex smelt after yoga
it was like please dont shower

i always did it alone
i guess a class wouldnt hurt

im judging books by covers here'
but imo
seems like fashion yoga

so... i had a really intense 45 min. wok out yesterday that REALLY worked the down dog position... i never used to focus on my leg muscles while in that pose but the instructor said to pull your thigh muscles up towards the back of your leg, I gave it a solid try in each down dog that we held (probably like 15x... crazy but good) When you contract that muscle it allows you to more comfortably lift your tail bone up and get a deeper stretch without jeopardizing the knees (which has always been an issue for me). Also my back and shoulders are screaming at me today but Im going back in any way, perhaps I will focus more on the legs today <3

There was also a large focus on down dog with 1 leg up
25h02us.jpg

and we went into pushup and then up dog after each variation of down dog.

I love yoga! :D

hey semi yogis, i wanted to tell everyone i made a book called "Inner Resting Yoga". IF anybody is interested send me a message and maybe i could send you my book. i dont wanna show all the pics (bc theres only like 15) but heres a sample.......

2cdxuoj.jpg

HA!

Has anyone ever done a practice when you only utilize one pose per day, but hold it for a half hour or so? I really enjoy this form of yoga.