• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yoga

Sorry if I wake up this old thread, but I'm really excited about Yoga and have found it helpful both physically and mentally. I've now gone to Yoga for 6 months, 3-5 days a week. The Yoga I attend is called Shakta Yoga, and is quite unique and distinct from other Yoga variations. It focuses more on the mental side, the meditative side, and follows the roots of Indian Yoga. It's not about performing, but more about relaxing. We do all asanas with eyes closed. Also, we do some Asanas differently than in other types of Yoga. It's quite like meditation through asanas, not about focusing on the physical performance. Meditation through movement, letting go of your conscious mind. This doesn't mean we don't do very demanding asanas, we definitely do, and sometimes it's physically demanding and sweaty, but the focus is on the mind. I've improved hugely, but not by forcing, but through relaxing.

I attend different types of classes, but my favourite is Suria Namaskar (The Sun Salution), with 12 poses, usually in 5-6 cycles. It's quite physically demanding.

Do you have any favourite Asanas? I especially love Bhujangasana (The Cobra pose), Halasana (The Plow pose), Virasana (Warrior Pose) and Parvatasana (The Mountain pose).

My absolute favourite is Ashwa Sanchalanasana or the Equestrian pose. I feel totally at peace in that Asana, although in the beginning it was very demanding and I had problems with the balance.

It's this Asana:
uYnHKhu.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's an inspirational video I highly recommend to watch, it's amazing:

Also, if you have 15 minutes to watch, this video quite well explains the kind of Yoga I attend and what I seek from Yoga; inner peace.

Here's a great list of Asanas and pictures of them: https://www.shrikali.org/asanas.php

Last edited:
I love yoga too. Ashtanga and Yin are my favorite variants, but I'll take any class as I just love the relaxation that comes from stretching body and mind. Enjoy your journey !!

I can't really fit a yoga class in my schedule but I'd love to take the hour or so (9-10 PM) before I go to bed to work at trying to learn some basics at home.

love yoga. strength, cardio, and yoga is the holy trinity. chicago being a little bitch about covid has resulted in me leaving it out. that’s no excuse. my whole body, especially my legs, hurts everyday from lifting and running.

did youtube yoga in my room this morning and it was so freaking good. physically and mentally. was gonna skip my run to give my shins a break. yoga left me all energized and flowy, so i went for my run. way better day than skipping. hate skipping.

Last edited: