• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yoga

^ Doesn't mean you can "feel" anything from them, though. Where's the evidence that anyone can do that? That's extrapolating from basic principles, which as everyone who has studied the wonderfully complex human body knows, is almost never correct

I'd say the evidence is 120 year old yogis who walk out into the woods one day and turn of their own heart. In fact ayurvedic traditions and eastern medicine/health in general is full of such examples. Just because there haven't been 10 studies at Princeton (yet) doesn't make it patently false.

Also, in the case of cells, extrapolating from the micro to macro can be quite telling as the human body is very similar to a giant cell in its basic functioning. All of the organs that a human have are also found in each one of it's cells.

In my eyes, denying that it is possible for a person to sense disharmony in one of their organs runs counter to thousands of years of yogic and meditative practices.

^ I don't doubt some people that dedicate their lives to ascetic practices and yogic practices can do some extraordinary things with their body! Have you ever read the 100 thousand tales of Mila Repa...its very interesting read (if not a little hyperbolic!!! :D).

I was demonstrating that energy receptors and emitters on cells are very far from pseudo-science. Not caring about that at this point seems like a bit of a cop out.

I am pretty familiar with neurobiology and I've never heard of an energy receptor. Acetylcholine receptors are the neuromuscular receptors iirc.

Also, in the case of cells, extrapolating from the micro to macro can be quite telling as the human body is very similar to a giant cell in its basic functioning.

Indeed!

Looking at the microcosmic macrocosmically is a fairly yogic/dharmic concept, but also helps science, and if a lot more scientific thinkers were able to do this, I think our environment would be in much better shape. Because the planet can be a lot like a cell too.

Lots of Ashtangis here I see, thats awesome. =D

Used to be into it a lot, even started on the secondary series for a while. But afte a while I started to see the limitations.

Kinda got out of it and started to get interested in Shadow Yoga by Shandor Remete , and even better " Universal Yoga" from Ukrainian master Andrey Lappa whom I personally think shows the truest path to moksha in the modern world.

Now I am more into Jyotish and Tantra than Physical yoga, but I still follow the path. for me and many others its not about asana, but yama/niyama first and foremost.

The rest follows naturally .IMHO

Caveat.. The path of Aghora is NOT for everyone.

Great links for people who want to understand yoga as more than a physical system,and wish to go much deeper....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dSDQyOGdI&feature=related Andrey Lappa
http://www.universal-yoga.com/ ( lappa's website)
http://www.brotherhoodoflife.com/Tantra.html ( DR Svoboda/Vimalananda)
http://www.shadowyoga.com/ ( Shandor)

Rememeber folks , its all about "Citta Vritti Nirodha" everything else is just details

PS Gaian have you read the book about Milarepa by W.Y. Evans Wentz its awesome !!!

Last edited:
Also, in the case of cells, extrapolating from the micro to macro can be quite telling as the human body is very similar to a giant cell in its basic functioning. All of the organs that a human have are also found in each one of it's cells.

It might be helpful to think of it in such a way, but it's not really very accurate. Organelles, and human organs are worlds apart in their complexity and function.

I never said anything about it being "patently false", or anything about "denying" it. There's just no evidence supporting it. If you pick any holistic belief, you can find a possible pathway in the physical world you can use to explain it.

When talking scientifically you need to make the theory fit with the facts, not pick facts to fit in with the theory.

PS Gaian have you read the book about Milarepa by W.Y. Evans Wentz its awesome !!!
No, is that something different than the stories? I found a two volume set of stories. They are like 400 pages each. I pounced on it literally in this used book store cause I just knew it was going to be awesome :D

and they are awesome :D in fact I think I'm going to reread them now...yay for laying down in fields on top of mountains and opening your mouth and vomiting rainbows! :D

Is anybody in love with Navasana?

19a-Navasana.jpg

No, is that something different than the stories? I found a two volume set of stories. They are like 400 pages each. I pounced on it literally in this used book store cause I just knew it was going to be awesome :D

and they are awesome :D in fact I think I'm going to reread them now...yay for laying down in fields on top of mountains and opening your mouth and vomiting rainbows! :D

Same stories, totally awesome read.

There is also a Movie which I shall have to check out, I hear its about his early life and transition to the Black Arts. I think a sequal has been planned already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fSE4spGDs trailer

yeah its really quite good. I love the stories about how he races multiple people (multiple different times lol) up mountains. He always starts out by chillin' down at the bottom just meditating and doing various cool miracle shit. And then when the person he's racing is about at the top he just starts running and flies up to the top in a few minutes. Craziness :D

sorry if theres alreay been a thread about oxy and excercising but i wanted to know if itll be alright to do some oxy and then do a sweet hour and half yoga sesh......... im not sure what the respiratory effect would have on yoga? maybe itll be fine on the lungs bc of all the intenese deep breathing or maybe too strenuous?
ultamitlly I understand yoga is about cleansin the body from bad stuff and to live a more natural life style, aka avoding drugs. but i think moderation in some stuff is ok....
anybody from personal experience try any drugs while doing yoga? personally LSD has been the most win.

or should i just wait to do the oxy after savasan?

Last edited:
I ALWAYS do yoga at the beginning of a trip. It helps with the uncomfortable body sensations. I've also done it on opiates, speed, and ganja.

being paranoid and sweating your ass off while tweaking balls in a yoga class is a not good feeling. I would avoid it.

meh, in my experience combining "empty" body high drugs (opiates, speed, alcohol, etc.) with yoga is a bad idea. These drugs do nothing to aid in mind expansion and/or meditation and thus cripple the yoga experience.

And before anyone jumps on me, nodding out is NOT meditating, lol. I actually had someone try to argue that with me. It's probably the furthest from meditation that anyone could ever get.

opiates can be a semi-useful addition to yoga, they can allow you to stretch and hold poses longer because of the pain killing properties. however, they can also allow you to hold poses too long, causing strain on your muscles because you cant feel the body telling you to take a break. i combine the two often.... though, yes, its not PURE yoga.... and prolly not the best for my body.

^^that's true, but I'm referring more to the mental aspect of practicing yoga and the benefits it has in that regard, which is greatly reduced (in my opinion) when you introduce opiates, speed, alcohol, coke, etc. into the practice.

IMO, when you really get into it, yoga is like a drug in and of itself and I really don't need to add anything to the mix lol. Different strokes for different folks though, I suppose.

I'm pretty much for sober yoga, although cannabis can help a person with dhyana and is somewhat accepted in certain branches of Hindu yogic tradition. I never seriously practice any aspect of yoga when high on anything though, but have used pranayama on psychedelics to calm and center myself before. I even make sure not to have any caffeine in me. Most psychoactives throw off some important faculty that should remain in a normal natural state for really beneficial yogic practice in my opinion.

To me the use of any sort of psychoactive ultimately goes against the grain of what traditional raja-yoga is all about.

aweseomes ~

I've been wanting to get into YOGA for so many years now, but never got around to sticking with the practice...

am going on a 3 day 'Mystical Yoga Retreat' this weekend... feeling it will be the beginning of integrating yoga into my daily lifestyles pattern

:) ~Namasté~

I did yoga today :]
i was high on opiates though :/
Next time im going sober...
but it was really fun on vicodin!!
:D