• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yoga

I do Yoga sometimes after my lifting sessions for like 15 minutes to keep myself less tight and then again for a short bit after I take a shower.

My female partner in crime though is REALLY good at it. Watching her move into poses is so... yummy.

^^ Ive heard of hot yoga studios, where they pump up the heat in there so you can get a nice sweat going even if the postures are not quite so challenging. Those were some great photos Andy! <3 Can you do the 3rd pose?? And oh those back bends, I love them!

Bikram yoga... it's amazing. The most intense yoga experience I've had was during my first bikram yoga session.

HA!

Has anyone ever done a practice when you only utilize one pose per day, but hold it for a half hour or so? I really enjoy this form of yoga.

no, what poses have you worked with in this practice?

as I'm sure you know, one could spend a lifetime exploring an asana. For instance think of padmasana. Its hard to imagine ever mastering this pose :D8)

Yoga became pretty important to me as I started to take classes every other day while I was in rehab. It really helped get me through and felt amazing to just be able to focus on the pose instead of how fucked up my life was. Ever since I've been doing solo sessions at least 3x a week. Inversions are my favorite poses though, idk I just love the peace that comes with doing Yoga.

no, what poses have you worked with in this practice?

as I'm sure you know, one could spend a lifetime exploring an asana. For instance think of padmasana. Its hard to imagine ever mastering this pose :D8)

Padmasana is a surefire pose. It took me about 5 years to even put my feet into position.

The sitting/reclined poses are very good for this as they don't expend energy.

some suggestions:

Supta Virasana (lotus)
Halasana (plow)
Salamba Sirsasana (head stand, try for 10 minutes)
All of the back twists
Paschimottanasana (standard front bend and any variation)

I am a novice. I take Yoga classes 1-2 times a week. It makes me feel strong and capable. It gives me this wonderful feeling of ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This feeling I carry with me. My eloquence escapes me. I am learning the importance of breathing. Not just in Yoga but in my daily living. It allows me to turn down the monkey chatter in my head way down low.

I took my first hot yoga class last week...my contact lenses dried out making it hard to see. Closing my eyes felt better anyway.

Gaian, thanks for the pics. Now I understand what you were referring to in another thread.

Padmasana is a surefire pose. It took me about 5 years to even put my feet into position.

The sitting/reclined poses are very good for this as they don't expend energy.

some suggestions:

Supta Virasana (lotus)
Halasana (plow)
Salamba Sirsasana (head stand, try for 10 minutes)
All of the back twists
Paschimottanasana (standard front bend and any variation)

I had a teacher that told me do not spend long in plow because it can stimulate the thyroid gland and can knock your hormones out of whack. Not sure how much I believe that but its worth repeating I guess.

^^ok, thanks.

It is my feeling that one's body will alert him if something detrimental is taking place.

So you're all ashtangis here then? I'm pretty new to yoga, but I've been really enjoying taking hatha classes. I still work up a bit of a sweat, and since the poses are held longer (and the focus is to get as deep as you can into the pose rather than flow from pose to pose) I find that I've really been able to improve my flexibility. My hamstrings and legs in general are still relatively stiff-- I still can't do downward dog with my heels on the floor-- but I've been noticing a huge improvement.

Plus it seems like it's a bit more meditative. You really sink into your body when you're holding a pose for that long, and you have to balance the hardness of trying to get deeper into the pose with the softness required to not hurt yourself. I might try ashtanga in a few months though, just to see what all the fuss is about ;)

^^ok, thanks.

It is my feeling that one's body will alert him if something detrimental is taking place.

I don't like to go on feelings they can be wrong all the time...why would you suspect that you have a particular feeling for thyroid dysregulation anyways? You might feel the symptoms but to introspect on your personal experience and deduce thyroid dysregulation is I think highly unlikely. It just doesn't seem to be information open to the introspector.

I am a yoga junkie. I've been practicing for 5 years; the last year or two has been home practice. I used to take hatha and vinyasa classes. Now I take the occasionaly class but mostly rent yoga videos from Netflix and it's nice to have the variety. The class training comes in handy, though, for alignment purposes; some of the videos out there tell you to move in very strange / not entirely safe ways. Especially those videos that try to integrate yoga with, like, '80s-style "fitness" moves. Not very relaxing.

I don't like to go on feelings they can be wrong all the time...why would you suspect that you have a particular feeling for thyroid dysregulation anyways? You might feel the symptoms but to introspect on your personal experience and deduce thyroid dysregulation is I think highly unlikely. It just doesn't seem to be information open to the introspector.

It probably depends on how in touch the person is with their body. All of your cells have energetic receptors and many (mainly the nervous system) have energetic emitters. The receptor receives information from the environment and communicates to the cell about what type of action it should take. It is feasible that one group of cells, thyroid for instance, sends a chemical/energetic "message" to the brain when there is disharmony in the organ.

This is drawing from the ideas of Bruce Lipton.

Here is a very good illustrated guide to the primary series of ashtanga yoga. The series starts with Suryanamaskara A & B and moves its way through the back bends and finishing asanas. Each pose should receive 5 breaths unless otherwise stated.

enjoy :)

http://www.astangayoga.co.nz/yoga_frameset.html

It probably depends on how in touch the person is with their body. All of your cells have energetic receptors and many (mainly the nervous system) have energetic emitters. The receptor receives information from the environment and communicates to the cell about what type of action it should take. It is feasible that one group of cells, thyroid for instance, sends a chemical/energetic "message" to the brain when there is disharmony in the organ.

This is drawing from the ideas of Bruce Lipton.
sounds like pseudo-science :\

I took my first hot yoga class last week...my contact lenses dried out making it hard to see. Closing my eyes felt better anyway.

I only heard of Bikram Yoga for the first time over this weekend. Busty's sister is a huge fan, and should be taking me to my first class when she flies through Brisbane again in a weeks' time.

I'm fascinated by the idea of practising the same core moves over and over again in such a hot environment. I can't wait to try it for myself. :)

Some information from Bikram Yoga.com:
The recommended temperature is minimum 105F degrees and about 40% humidity.

The room is kept at this temperature or more for the following:

* Keeping the body from overheating (contrary to popular misconception)
* Protecting the muscles to allow for deeper stretching
* Detoxing the body (open pores to let toxins out)
* Thinning the blood to clear the circulatory system
* Increasing heart rate for better cardiovascular workout
* Improving strength by putting muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization
* Reorganize the lipids (fat) in the muscular structure

I'm quite into dhyana (yogic meditation) and pranayama, but don't really focus very much on hatha yoga these days. I broke with practice, which is a shame, but I'll surely get back into it.

I once copied a particularly good translation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutra by hand, and so I kind of memorized a lot of the concepts behind raja-yoga.

All of your cells have energetic receptors and many (mainly the nervous system) have energetic emitters. The receptor receives information from the environment and communicates to the cell about what type of action it should take.

This is 100% verifiable molecular biology. It is how the cell receives information from it's environment. See my thread further down on the front page for a further explanation and video describing this mechanism.

The rest of the post is somewhat conjecture. You asked how it could be possible and I told you. Are you denying that cells can communicate with each other?

eh I honestly don't care friend. Believe what you want to believe about the body.

I was demonstrating that energy receptors and emitters on cells are very far from pseudo-science. Not caring about that at this point seems like a bit of a cop out.