• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How would you deal with really gnarly looking toenails?

I love my feet and take great care of them.

Definitely comply with the treatment Rx'd by the podiatrist. Even if it is a bit of work. Have you consulted a physician as well? A dermatologist or a certified plastic surgeon may have options for you. Ask your G.P. and see if you are referred. It is never a bad thing to get a second or third professional to look at something, they might have different angle on how to manage it.

^ I thought I was taking good care of my feet when I did what my mom told me to do when I noticed some funky discoloration around my toenails: She said to wash them better. So I tried. Didn't quite work and over the next few years, the nails proceeded to get thicker and thicker until they got so painful and would come off at the slightest nudge. Only some partially grew back--Looking basically like they are now. Started seeing a podiatrist around, eh, maybe 2008 or 2009. But this all started around 2003 or 2004.

Lesson learned: Don't trust what my mom says when it comes to health.

That aside, no, I haven't consulted a physician. My pediatrician was the one who referred me to the podiatrist, and I have since changed physicians, who's only asked if I'm seeing a podiatrist. Unfortunately I just went for my physical in January--Because of her odd office hours, I would have to either take time off of school/work, or wait until summer vacation. :-/

Good idea though. I will ask her what she recommends, though it probably won't be any time soon.

Honey I've had a quick read of this thread and I don't think anyone has suggested this yet...

Could you try getting some dark shades of nail polish and PAINT on some nail-shapes over your toes? It will take a bit of practice to get them naturally shaped/sized, but from head-height they will appear to be full-size nails. I've actually done this several times when my big toe nails have fallen off from too much long-distance running, and from head-height (i.e. where people are normally looking from), it totally looks like the nail is still there, especially with darker shades. The only setback is that nail polish washes off skin in the shower so it will only last a couple of days max.

Maybe give it a try??

AP, I looked at your feet again this evening. Your toes are well shaped and fit your feet perfectly. Your skin is smooth and not all veiny. Your feet are quite nice actually.

You don't really need new toenails as much as you need to keep your back against the wind your mom blows.

Wow. The suggestions in this thread are all great, from different perspectives.

So I'm either gonna wind up with a girlfriend who's more confident about herself and doesn't give a shit what people think, or one who will try to help them look more "normal", whatever that is.

And now for the dancing clown:

you know yo mama ghetto when her toenails and fingernails are the same length and short is not one of the options!
Katt Williams.
That nikka crazy.

AP, I looked at your feet again this evening. Your toes are well shaped and fit your feet perfectly. Your skin is smooth and not all veiny. Your feet are quite nice actually.

You don't really need new toenails as much as you need to keep your back against the wind your mom blows.
I used to think my feet were hideous but then I realized that everyone has different-looking feet, lol. It's still the toes I gotta accept, but my loathing of them has drastically subsided since starting this thread. I was even joking with S_L last night about the real reason my toes are so gnarly: I chew on them at night--They just taste so good I can't stop. LMAO.

Wow. The suggestions in this thread are all great, from different perspectives.

So I'm either gonna wind up with a girlfriend who's more confident about herself and doesn't give a shit what people think, or one who will try to help them look more "normal", whatever that is.
I agree. I'm glad I finally got the guts to post it, and that I have such a supportive girlfriend who doesn't give a shit if I have gnarly lookin' toenails. :D <3

I feel like a cunt for saying your fucked up nail beds were a deal breaker but I based my response on initial photo exposure. I am all about feeling comfortable own your own skin and marching to the beat of your own drum. If I got to know you for months and liked you, if you took off your shoes barefoot I would not have run away nor commented. Your mom is a cunt.

^ No hard feelings. :) I get where people's initial reactions of "WTF" come from, even though they do hurt at times. Exposing my feet on the Internet, albeit just on BL, has helped immensely with my feet self esteem so to speak. I'm not about to go walking around barefoot in public, but yeah.

My mom is a cunt, but that is a topic for another time/thread. She does many things that make me seriously wonder who raised her--Because I was mainly raised by the woman who raised her... :-/

I think uncomfortable exposure to new situations is essential for personal growth.
It has given me self confidence.
Good for you, man.

I chew on them at night--They just taste so good I can't stop. LMAO.

I agree. I'm glad I finally got the guts to post it, and that I have such a supportive girlfriend who doesn't give a shit if I have gnarly lookin' toenails. :D <3

As long as you don't start gnawing on my feet at night, we have no issues. :)

My toes honestly used to look like that. Go see a doctor about them because you might have a fungus infection in the nail bed. Once I got on some medication the nails became less discolored and started growing properly. I got the growth to increase by eating Jello (jello make hair and nail grow super fast) and started getting pedicures and really taking care of my feet. Now my feet look great.

I used to be self conscious about going to the beach and what not.

If all that fails simply get fake nails to put on your toes. If a girl says anything, tell her you go for weekly pedicures because you believe in good grooming.

My toes honestly used to look like that. Go see a doctor about them because you might have a fungus infection in the nail bed. Once I got on some medication the nails became less discolored and started growing properly. I got the growth to increase by eating Jello (jello make hair and nail grow super fast) and started getting pedicures and really taking care of my feet. Now my feet look great.
Unfortunately I've already been down that route (minus the Jell-o bit as I do not eat animal products). I was on a 6-month or so prescription of Lamisil that drastically improved my toenails (yeah, this is an improvement believe it or not). The podiatrist then gave me a lacquer to put on, which helped a little but not much, so I quit using it. Am in the process of finding the darn thing to start it up again and see if there's any improvement over a longer time span. I've talked it over with the doc, and short of trying the lacquer again or going in for cosmetic surgery, there isn't much that can be done.

Bite, no. Pick at, yes. When they become so painfully thick that they're near the falling off point anyways (this happens once or twice a year or so, but has been happening less and less over the years). I've tried filing them down a couple times, and it helps--If they remain intact that is. View post #8.

I did pick at them when they were first infected... That probably didn't help things. :-/