• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it ok to take 5-htp and st johns wort together?

Harambulus

Greenlighter
Someone on here said they thought not but didnt quote a source.

Reading online so far I havent seen anyone say against it and some things indicating it's ok.

Anyone know any better one way or the other?

Reading up some more it seems quite a few ppl have taken them both without incident and some sources saying it's safe; also some blends which contain both.

Last edited:
there's always going to be the risk of serotonin syndrome when you're mixing an SSRI (sjw) with another serotogenic substance. i've taken them together and havent had any negative effects but everybodys different.

are you taking it for depression?

I would be yes though I think Im gonna try and stop all supps again now and go with exercise and other activities again.

when you say you're in the flo state - Florida? If so you shouldn't be taking St Johns Wort at all.

If not - start small, like really small and work your way up in small increments - the exercise is for sure a great idea, as would be masturbation every now and then - if you're a habitual masturbator - learn to properly take teh time to "love yourself" (look up tantric masturbation), as it can fill you with joy. I've also found yoga to be amazing for depression...as is the state of now - (look up Eckart Tolle and Ram Dass - The power of now, and Be here Now respectively).

Get happy :) Peace

Cut sugar, ejaculation, slouching and computer time. ...while we're listing random things to do to alleviate depression.

Both are used to increase seretonin receptors in the brain in order for your brain to function but I find that taking them seperately is a better choice because taking too much can cause seretonin syndrome and that is no good in the long term. St john's wort helps me to sleep so taking that at night would be best recommended. It also depends on how severe your seretonin receptors are. 5-htp doesn't work as well but if you go to a doctor, a good ssri will work. Hope everything is well.

^yoga works wonders! :D

im not sure what you mean about the florida thing though

I guess he's alluding to the fact that sunshine does not mix well with St. John's Wort. IMHO that's reason enough to question taking that shit.

I found Rhodiola Rosea to be ridiculously effective, even moreso than 5-HTP, but that's another substance with an arm-length list of contraindications

i wouldn't do that. i wouldn't want to get serotonin syndrome. if you're taking both for depression, have you tried JUST taking st. johns wort? because when i took it alone, i'd seriously wake up in a smile on my face. it honestly worked. BUT DON'T mix it with alcohol. i did once, and almost died, apparently.

i wouldn't do that. i wouldn't want to get serotonin syndrome. if you're taking both for depression, have you tried JUST taking st. johns wort? because when i took it alone, i'd seriously wake up in a smile on my face. it honestly worked. BUT DON'T mix it with alcohol. i did once, and almost died, apparently.

How did you almost die?

It's probably been mentioned, but there's no evidence to support that 5-HTP supplements increase synaptic serotonin, and evidence that it skews other monoamines in a "worse" direction. I have a pdf but not a link, don't know how to attach here.

St. Johns Wort also has a ton of side effects, most of them because it induces a liver enzyme, speeding up the metabolism of a lot of drugs. And no evidence of benefit unless you're German.

[rant]It just bugs me, that this model keeps getting spread, that simply eating a precursor will make neurons release more of it. That shit is tightly controlled; 5-HTP may increase stores of serotonin, but that doesn't make it release more of it, otherwise you'd get a boost anytime you ate meat. Most of the serotonin in you is outside your brain, like in your guts.. There are venomous creatures that include serotonin as part of their cocktail, it's not something you necessarily want more of in your blood. The stuff would wreak havoc on your body if it worked as advertised.[/rant]