• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Long-Term Health Effects of Oxycodone Usage

jaystyle

Bluelighter
Sorry for writing so much stuff tonight--- been gone for awhile. I'll slow down after this =P

It sounds like this topic has been researched A LOT---- given the Billion dollar industry that it is.... being such a profitable industry, It's always fun reading how "non-dangerous" and "unaddictive" this medicine is, so long as you take wha the doctors give you.... well, it's bullshit.... people get psychologically and physically addicted ALL THE TIME from doctor prescribed Oxycontin.

Anyway... it's pretty hard to find any info on oxycodone being damaging to the human body.... You can overdose and you can become an addict.... You can get constipated too... Other than that, I just dont see anything relating to the health consequences of chronic oxycodone use, but I am fairly certain that there is some. My health has been suffering lately------ I suspect the oxycodone is the cause, but no evidence exists to prove it. I take 400-600mg a day, insufflated.... terribly, I know... roxie 30s. Last few months, I've experienced heavy episodes of in-day fatigue where my eyes are closing at work (especially after I eat).... im getting abdominal pains... I am showing signs that my endocrine system is not functioning properly (lab tests are just off.... too much estrogen, liver enzymes high). Sometimes I start peeing excessively... I hear ringing in my ears sometimes (once for 5 days straight). It sucks, but I don't know if drugs played a part or are to blame. I have dark circles under my eyes and sleep pretty shitty.... often don't feel physically well. I sleep too long, wake up late, and still am tired. I also gained 15 pounds in the last 4 months. Oxycodone keeps me chronically constipated (this I know is rightfully to blame) and I suspect it's just slowed my metabolism down in general and thats why im geting heavier and harder to lose wegith, but dont know of any evidence pointing to the fact. I tried to eat well and exercise and barely lost anything in a month... very discouraging. Im going to a doc soon... but he'll probably blame drugs or something and i dont know if thats the case.

I have always told myself opiates are not harmfull to your body cuz im in denial and this is what I read.... but how about you guys??? Has opiate abuse shown physical consequences to you? Anything I mentioned above, something which happens to you or something you believe heavy daily opiate use could have caused?

I know one thing for sure, chronic consipation can lead to bowel cancer. It's something that's always nagging at me as i suffer it without the opiates, they exasterbate it quite a lot!

Heroin gives me really awful, dangerous asthma attacks. The longest I was able to use heroin everyday without going to the ICU was about 4 months. I don't know why heroin screws up my lungs so much, because no other opioid does. But I'm guessing it might have to do with the cut they use around here.

That being said, opiates are among the most non toix drugs that are out there. Unfortunately they are highly addictive, so users will often start abusing them in risky manners (injecting, smoking, sniffing)that can cause health problems. I'm surprised the oxy seems to make you gain weight, whenever I start doing heroin, I lose about ten pounds after five days or so.

I've lost about 20 pounds in the last few months as my oxy (ab)use has skyrocketed... Probably cause I don't wanna spend the money on food, or don't like taking oxy on a full stomach, or have no appetite while I'm on oxy, or have an upset stomach while I'm on oxy ... etcetera. I just haven't been eating very well... :\

Opiates by themselves are very easy on the body when it comes to long term effects. The only long term effect I can see being a problem is addiction.

What about permanent changes in brain chemistry? Or, are they really permanent? Is that not considered a "negative long-term health effect"? Or is brain chemistry changes to be expected with any chronic substance use that alters you?

I don't think there are any permanent changes in brain chemistry. Some people I have heard, who have abused opiates for years and years can cause damage to their brain chemistry, and those people often get on methadone, as there owne bodies can no longer produce sufficient endogenous opiates. But I think it really takes a long history of opiate abuse to get to that point. Don't get me wrong though, abusing opiates for even relatively small periods of time (talking months, to several years) will effect your brain chemistry, and once you put down the habit, even after acute withdrawals, you will go through post acute withdrawal syndrome, which can last anywhere From months to years, though I think it lasts on average about six months. During this time opiate users will often suffer from depression, anxiety, insomnia, and apathy.

I kicked methadone pretty much cold turkey when I went inpatient for four months, and after the initial withdrawal I felt absolutely horrible. My sleep schedule was totally screwed up, I was depressed, anxious and wanted to use like crazy. After six months of abstinence I used heroin once, and then got clean again for nine months. I would say for me, the paws lasted around seven or eight months (I'm not sure if that single use of heroin set me back some). Once it was over though it was really incredible though, and I felt fantastic. Unfortunately I relapsed less than a year later, but that's life. But what I can tell you is that depending on you're habit, and how long you've been using, you will almost certainly go through some shitty times once you put the opiates down (PAWS is what often causes people to relapse), but you will almost definately get better if you wait it out.

I know one thing for sure, chronic consipation can lead to bowel cancer. It's something that's always nagging at me as i suffer it without the opiates, they exasterbate it quite a lot!

There are so many cheap high fiber/ whole foods that race up my metabolisn/digestion that the prescribed oxycodone has little effect on being backed up...diet is F'n key.

Thanks Znegative--- I havn't tried to quit using suboxone in awhile, but my experience with suboxone is what i imagine PAWS to be like....I have no physical withdrawal symptoms (except for the first few days after switching), yet I am depressed and suddenly need xanax to sleep at night... I just feel shitty on subs, imo. I trully hate them but i think they are my best chance of quitting oxycodone.

Do you think if I Suboxone taper, it will make the paws more bearable? MY theory is that going from oxycodone to suboxone is kind of helping against PAWS too... if you are feeling that shitty on SUBS, it must mean your brain doesn't have enough fun juice and is healing, so when you quit suboxone you are already a step in the right direction? Know what I mean? I mean, I know PHYSICALLY Oxy ---> Suboxone is like taking a half step into withdrawal zone.... You withdrawala bit going from full to partial agonist (especially if you were taking higher doses of oxycodone). But for PAWS, I wonder if stabilizing on Suboxone for a bit is healing your brain and allowing it make endorphins.

PS. Another theory of why subs make me feel so shitty--- perhaps it has a higher affinity to receptors than my natural endorphins do? If so, my body will not be able to make me happy easy =( Hope not true

Last edited:
Well, detoxing using suboxone will surely make the acute withdrawals a lot less noticeable, and if you taper off fast, you probably won't experience as lengthy of paws (sorry, that seems awkwardly phrased) as if you switched to suboxone and stayed on it for a month or more.

Well compared to other drugs opiates are hardly toxic or 'damaging', but with long term daily use and high doses like yours there will be some changes in the body. I do not know why everyone is saying there are no long term affects, i mean it isn't as bad as other drugs but with 600mg dose of oxy a day you can be sure that your brain chemistry is altered. Your MU opiod receptors are being showered all the time from the oxy, i'm sure many of them have down regulated and such. Oxy also works on dopamine so after long term use you can expect not to be as happy with your daily life unless on an opiate. Now the good part is oxy isn't really neurotoxic so if you quit i'm sure after 6 months or so your brain will be at base line. This is just speaking of the brain, even if your oxy doesn't have aspirin in it your liver still has a little fight breaking the oxy down ( especially high doses)