• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How long does it take to actually get 'Dope Sick?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikedrugs77

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm new to Blue Light. This is actually my first post. I have been coming here for a while though to look at other posts for information and entertainment purposes. Sadly/luckily I have recently gotten in to H. I have been doing it now for about 3 - 4 months total. And about 1-2 months everyday. Though, there was one point in that everyday period that I stopped for 3 days. other than that it has been every day for the most part except for that random off day. Well, on those 'off' days where I can't get any for whatever reason I get withdrawals. The thing about it though is that the withdrawals are really not that bad at all. Like I get cold sweats, I shit a lot, I feel depressed and anxious and don't have much energy. Aches and pains also. The thing is that although this withdrawal sucks it is not at all what I expected from a drug like h, and also my friends all tell me that they get so sick that it's a complete nightmare. One of my friends says that they can't sleep for like 2 weeks and they throw up every hour, and it's the worst pain you could possibly imagine. I know I haven't been doing it for that long, but still 2 months of everyday use is quite a while. So I was wondering.. how long does it take until you ACTUALLY become dopesick, like not this stuff that I'm experiencing, I mean the real stuff. Does it not happen to everyone? If you could enlighten me more on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, for me personally. It varies from each WD I go through. Made to stop by judicial system (jail/etc/etc) or lack of supplies. Usually when in jail my symptoms seemed to be not that bad, just knowing I cant get any, still rough. I think it deals on the situation your in, attitude, and amount you was using. I was doing about *snip - no prices* a day for 3 months (saved money from sobriety time which sucks i went through it) was rough WD's because I didnt slow down, it was just a sudden ending and I knew the dealers had the dope, but i didnt have the cash and they would call saying they re-up'ed which made it alot worse just knowing i could make it go away.. 2-5th day is worst for me..

Last edited by a moderator:
You will definitely have withdrawal from that long usage.. I mean just try not using for 36 to 48 hours and see hwo you feel..if you feel fine then you are in the clear pretty much because withdrawals from H will have set in by then for sure.

I didn't start having nausea where I would just continuously dry heave over and over again until much later on in my addiction and that only happens when withdrawawls are moderate to severe for me.

How much have you been using? People react differently to the withdrawal of drugs. Perhaps you are one of the lucky people who gets less severe reactions from the lack of opiates in your system. From everything people have told me about H (i've never done it, though i've done countless other opiates), the WD usually kicks in after 6-8 hours from the last dose taken.

The good part tho is that the worst of it is over after three days, and you can move on with your life.

If you have a serious dope problem you have a long haul ahead of you way past 3 days.

^^Yeah but that's not something really great to say to someone trying to quit. The truth is that ms4104 is right--there is a long road ahead after you quit. BUT, you can look forward to the fact that the worst of it is over in three or so days.

I highly recommend loperamide (imodium) when you quit. It helps a lot with WDs.

is the question here about how long it takes for withdrawal to begin after taking an opiate?

how how long it takes for a habit to form?

i think both of these questions have many variables - from the individual to the substance they're using.
1-2 months of daily use will probably cause a physical dependance, but you might be lucky and have mild physical withdrawal symptoms. you might be really lucky and be able to quit with little discomfort - it does take first-time users a while to become physically addicted. i know that the first time i stopped every-day use (i'm not sure how many weeks it had been...it was a while ago) i got off scot-free. the next time i tried, i wasn't so lucky!
you are better off trying to detox now than to give it another go in 3 months, or 6 months. by then you will certainly have developed a physical addiction. i wish i had done so when i had the chance...

I think if you have developed dependency chances are you have a monkey on your back already

^^Yeah but that's not something really great to say to someone trying to quit. The truth is that ms4104 is right--there is a long road ahead after you quit. BUT, you can look forward to the fact that the worst of it is over in three or so days.

I highly recommend loperamide (imodium) when you quit. It helps a lot with WDs.

What is this imodium you speak of and where can I find it?

I know that I have withdrawals because I quit for 3 to 4 days about a month ago, and I had one day this month where I couldn't get it. But like I said it just isn't that bad! It's weird, but cool I guess. So this monday I am going to stop for a couple days because I don't want to be dependent on it anymore. I plan on continuing use, but not every day and only occasionally really. Is this realistic at all? I feel like I could do it. I want to do this because I can't support my habit with my financial situation and it's really annoying only having money for dope and nothing else. Plus my tolerance is really high, I do 2 20 peices a day at least and It take about 50 to 60 dollars worth of the shit to actually get me high so it doesn't even seem worth it now, plus I have track marks like a motherfucker.

So I plan to withdrawl for a couple days on monday because I don't want to do this everyday anymore. Are there any suggestions you can give me for making this a little less intense? I've heard of using lots of xanax and or drinking a lot. Is that a good idea? What else can I do to make it not so bad. the main problem I had last time was just the pure boredom and discomfort I had. It wasn't so bad, but I as soooo bored and nothing seemed to keep me entertained I just hated everything. So any suggestions fellow opiate users?

I know that I have withdrawals because I quit for 3 to 4 days about a month ago, and I had one day this month where I couldn't get it. But like I said it just isn't that bad! It's weird, but cool I guess. So this monday I am going to stop for a couple days because I don't want to be dependent on it anymore. I plan on continuing use, but not every day and only occasionally really. Is this realistic at all? I feel like I could do it. I want to do this because I can't support my habit with my financial situation and it's really annoying only having money for dope and nothing else. Plus my tolerance is really high, I do 2 20 peices a day at least and It take about 50 to 60 dollars worth of the shit to actually get me high so it doesn't even seem worth it now, plus I have track marks like a motherfucker.

So I plan to withdrawl for a couple days on monday because I don't want to do this everyday anymore. Are there any suggestions you can give me for making this a little less intense? I've heard of using lots of xanax and or drinking a lot. Is that a good idea? What else can I do to make it not so bad. the main problem I had last time was just the pure boredom and discomfort I had. It wasn't so bad, but I as soooo bored and nothing seemed to keep me entertained I just hated everything. So any suggestions fellow opiate users?

If you're planning on chipping then good luck to you, but the chances are that, like most of us junkies, you'll be unable to. In that case it's worth looking into methadone or buprenorphine maintenance. It should work out a lot cheaper than a full blown heroin habit and, so long as you keep at a low dose, you'll still be able to get high every now and then.

Your best option of course would be to jack it in altogether. :D

And Immodium/Loperamide is an OTC anti-diarrhoea medication that also lessens opioid WD symptoms.

Taking "a lot of Xanax" is not a good idea. It's a helpfull tool, but if you're naive to benzos, try to use Xanax sparingly. And no more than .5mg at a time. I say this because I had a friend that was going through withdrawals, and he was away from home so he couldn't cop, but he had a lot of Xanax bars. He continuously ate them throughout the period of three days, and on the fourth day he had a seizure. He obviously over did it like crazy, but you still need to be sparing with it because you could easily wind up with another addiction, one that withdrawal can be fatal from.

As for continuing to use, I wish you good luck on using again without winding up with a physical dependance. Each time you get hooked, the withdrawals get worse. ThE only way to make sure you don't develop a habit is by using once a week, twice a week max.

If you're planning on chipping then good luck to you, but the chances are that, like most of us junkies, you'll be unable to. In that case it's worth looking into methadone or buprenorphine maintenance. It should work out a lot cheaper than a full blown heroin habit and, so long as you keep at a low dose, you'll still be able to get high every now and then.

Your best option of course would be to jack it in altogether. :D

And Immodium/Loperamide is an OTC anti-diarrhoea medication that also lessens opioid WD symptoms.

Do you know a lot about methadone/ buprenorphine maintenance? If so could you enlighten me on it a little. I realized I don't think I can do this without some extra help, more of a problem then I thought. I know a little about methadone and that you go and dose daily, but would like to know more if you know about it.

Buprenorphine is a potent partial agonist that binds tightly to opiate receptors. When inducted onto buprenorphine from a full agonist (ie. heroin, oxycodone, morphine,methadone ), you need to make sure that you are in full withdrawal, and patients are often suggested to wait 24 hours until they are given buprenorphine (unless they are switching over from methadone, in which case, the patient would need to wait longer, due to the long half life of methadone). If you take buprenorphine too soon, it will knock the opiates from your last dose of heroin, and send you into precipitated withdrawal, much in the same manner as taking naltrexone or naloxone would. Buprenorphine has a cieling effect that means that increasing the dosage will only increase opioid effects up until a certain point, at which time buprenorphine reaches a plateau and doesn't have any more benefit. For this reason, boprenorphine is less a usable than a lot of full agonist opiates. At dosages of four mg and up, buprenorphine also blocks the effects of full agonists, by filling up opiate receptors and sticking to them very tightly, so when you shoot heroin, the heroin will have no where to go, as the receptors are occupied by the bupe. It also has a very long half life (~36 hours), so you only need to take it once a day, or twice a day. Buprenorphine is nice because you can get a prescription for it from a doctor with a license to prescribe suboxone, and you can give it to yourself at home, and don't need to go to a clinic every day, though I've heard that some methadone clinics are now prescribing suboxone, and patients enrolled in these clinics do have to go to a facility to get there mess. Another benefit of buprenorphine is that it us a cieling effect on respiratory depression, making it very hard to overdose on.

Methadone is a very potent full agonist, which like buprenorphine has a very long half life, and is given out once a day, at a methadone clinic (unless you are prescribed it for pain). Because it has a very long half life, and is very potent, methadone stacks up in your system, and at a high enough dosage, it blocks other opiates and opioids by saturating the opiate receptors in the brain, to the point where nothing, not even more methadone will get you high. It essentially raises your tolerance, and that is what blocks the other opiates. (kind of like how when your shooting heroin, you will not be able to feel the effects of a drug like codiene, but to a much greater effect). While taking more opiates will not get you high, it can still cause respiratory depression. Mixing methadone with benzodiazepines like Xanax or temazepam can be very dangerous. When getting on methadone maintenance, it can take a few days for the methadone levels in your body to level out, so you might still feel withdrawal symptoms the first week or two on maintenance, and you're dosage can be adjusted accordingly. At methadone clinics you have to submit urine tests, and the only way to get take homes is to not come up positive (though you will always be given a Sunday take home)

Both drugs have there pros and cons, but if you've only been using heroin a total of four months, it's probably best to try and detox using one of these drugs, but not resorting to maintenance. I you're cravings become to intolerable, than I would suggest trying out suboxone first.

I'm currently 30 hours off suboxone and I'm actually not feeling too bad, a good rule of thumb is if your sneezing your ass off, you got it coming to you real bad, I put myself into reverse withdrawal using suboxone too soon after dope and was dope sick for 32 days till I got home and found a sub, like day n night after taking that , but this time around I did an 8 4 2 2 taper and it's working an I'm not sneezing or sniffling so I should be glad I say give it 48 hours, you'll know by then

Luckily,,,, oh my God, well I can certainly say your now probably a full blown addict, I hope not,

Uhhh... am I the only one who sees a difference in WD's and actual dope sick? I mean to me at least, dope sick is like the overdose of withdrawals, if you will. When you wake up unable to make it out of bed in the morning for a good hour or so you know you're dopesick. Dope sick is a helluva lot more than "3-5 days".

But, that is just a personal view and everyone has different terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.