• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids how long after withdrawal until it's "safe" to use?

If you have had an opiate problem before I definitely wouldn't plan on using them again. This only sets you up for a life long addiction..

I was clean for 5 days, used on 6...bad idea started w/d. I binged for few days, then started back. this time, got to day 7! tried it on day 8 and back at it again for 4 days, W/d start. NOW, i got to day 9, not even going to use because i took a sub so i won't even feel anything. Im gonna try day 10 and see how it goes, although to be honest, i am more worried about the subs ive been using to get clean. I have used 20 total subs in the last 40 days or so. REALLY REALLY hope those don't cause W/Ds. SO basically, you should wait at least 2 weeks. When it comes to subs, im not sure, because i didnt have too many problems, but to each his own. good luck

Best advice though, just don't use at all. I found it hard for the first few 2 weeks, after the other 2 weeks, total 4 weeks. mentally and physically tip top. just quit when you have a chance, thats the point of my story. there are no short cuts or casual uses(sometimes there can be exceptions, but not with 99.9 of people).

I was clean for 5 days, used on 6...bad idea started w/d. I binged for few days, then started back. this time, got to day 7! tried it on day 8 and back at it again for 4 days, W/d start. NOW, i got to day 9, not even going to use because i took a sub so i won't even feel anything. Im gonna try day 10 and see how it goes, although to be honest, i am more worried about the subs ive been using to get clean. I have used 20 total subs in the last 40 days or so. REALLY REALLY hope those don't cause W/Ds. SO basically, you should wait at least 2 weeks. When it comes to subs, im not sure, because i didnt have too many problems, but to each his own. good luck

Not to worry you, but suboxone can definitely cause withdrawals. They CSN soften the blow when you take a few of them to help kick a habit, but once you are on them for a week or so you will withdrawal from them. Using 20 subs in 40 days is a lot and you are going to withdraw from them so your best bet is to taper down to below 1mg before you stop.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

You can't us I used a half. Gram of black with in a twenty four hours period and I been withdrawing for three days but I had one month off the shit I didn't know this would happen I was using IV I messed up was not ready for this

You can't us I used a half. Gram of black with in a twenty four hours period and I been withdrawing for three days but I had one month off the shit I didn't know this would happen I was using IV I messed up was not ready for this

good to know wow

Swim got clean and on day 7 clean SWIM did a whole bag H and did not experiemce withdrawl. However suboxone is said to last a long time in your system as well as being a lot stronger than actual Dope so IMO if SWIM plans on using sub. Id wait an extra week after the 7 days justo to be safe...

You can probably dose a small amount of suboxone (.5mg) and get quite high off of it, but you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy it more if you wait longer, if only to not risk screwing up you're tolerance. The first time I was tapered off suboxone at a rehab (very rapidly, 8,4,2,0) I stayed clean for two weeks and got over the withdrawals. I then shot heroin for two days, and it didn't give me any withdrawals when I stopped doing that. But everyone's brain chemistry is different, and if you can hold on for at least a few more days, you'd pretty much be in the clear...so much easier said than done.

Last edited:
answering the OP's question- one time i spent 30 days in rehab, was home for 10 days, shot some dope for ONE DAY, got caught by the out patient facility and thankfully it didn't spiral into a another relapse (or at least not yet)

anyway so i lasted 40 days without doing dope, did it one time and experienced absolutely 0 withdrawals the next day... it was only because i didn't continue to use

Swim got clean and on day 7 clean SWIM did a whole bag H and did not experiemce withdrawl. However suboxone is said to last a long time in your system as well as being a lot stronger than actual Dope so IMO if SWIM plans on using sub. Id wait an extra week after the 7 days justo to be safe...

Welcome to BL!

We don't use SWIM or anything other such practice on BL. It affords you no legal protections and can be annoying as hell to read all the time. Please review the forum guidelines on posting standards: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/428413-EVERYONE-READ-forum-standards-**UPDATED-May-19th**

safe is a bit of a stretch, but the average time i tend to wait post-wd is around about two weeks.
i never last any longer, i call that 14th day 'the a-cop-alypse'.

I'm in the other category sadly, I've been clean 20-30 days on several occasions. If I shoot dope for one day and do more than a couple bags I'll be sick as shit. Starting the cycle all over again. I'm really done this time. I shot up nodded out and left the house with the stove on, burned my mom house down. Which she paid for the last 30 years. Lost everything I had to H

I was using vicodin for years at first2 7.5/500 would keep me high for hours I ran out and couldn't find any my desperate search brought me to a 10 pack of boy (heroin)a match head snorted kept me high a long time I kept buying it and built up a tolerance unfortunately two years later it has became a problem anyone have any advice for me how to quit

The the OP. I just did 2 detoxes with methadone and used H in between them again. I noticed that in smoking 1 or 2 weeks in between those detoxes, my tollerance stayed low and didn't increase and the withdrawal was less severe than the first time after months smoking (needed less methadone to detox)

So it shouldn't put you back to step one if you use, but it will halt the recovery if not complete and you will continue from there unless you abuse for multiple days. Most people here say that once dependent, if you use 2 or 3 days in a row you will get withdrawal again, So I would just use for 1 session and then skip at least 3 days to be 100% safe.