• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How Long Will Powdered Heroin Keep it Potency if Kept in a Sealed Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

romealone

Bluelighter
Hey guys,
Got into a debate with someone today about this subject and just wanted to get some feeback.

Would you expect east-coast, powdered heroin to still retain its potency if it was kept in it's sealed bag after 2 years or so. A friend today was saying that after 2 years the powder would basically be useless since it would have lost it's potency. I would think that as long as it was kept dry and in a sealed bag, it would last for years and years without any noticeable loss of potency.

What do you guys think?

it will revert to morphine after a long storage time..

it will revert to morphine after a long storage time..

I thought it only reverted to morphine if it was in solution. I thought in solution the acetly groups were cleaved to yield morphine but that this would only occur in solution. You are suggesting that it would happen even if it was kept in a dry sealed bag? If so, would you expect this to happen after 2 years?

Also, has anyone ever taken any powdered heroin that they knew to be several years old, and if so, how were the effects?

I have taken powdered heroin and felt the pins and needles effect that indicated it had reverted to morphine.. But since I used it IV, it was in solution prior to use.. I understand that a stored product is more likely to revert to morphine as soon as water is added. as opposed to a fresh product that will resist the tendency.

In a sealed bag, heroin will keep for quite some time; it's relatively stable. I would simply keep it away from any kind of moisture or humidity.

I mean, hell, consider how long heroin sits around for in one bag and then in another bag and god knows how many bags before reaching your dealer's connect, then your dealer, and then you. They bag this stuff up long before it ever reaches you.

^Ya

It's not even close to as hydroscopic as methamphetamine either, and meth does not sit around long.

The longest that I've kept a bag of heroin (not sealed) was about a week and a half. I did not get the pins and needles so I don't think it reverted to morphine. I imagine that even after a year, if kept in a non moist environment the dope would not be rendered useless, it just would probably turn back into morphine

It's odd to think that a dope fiend could keep a bag around very long any way..

Yeah, haha, I had lost one and it took me ten days to find it. I had been doing lots of coke too, so in a hysterical state of paranoia, I hid the dope in such a good hiding spot that I couldn't even remember where it was.

In fact the other day I found a little aluminum ball hidden in the pipes under my sink, it had like, a bundle of used dope bags in it, though one was about half full. I actually contemplated shooting it, but then in a moment of truth I threw it down the disposal before I could fuck up the four months that I've racked up away from heroin. I alway did that shit when I was high on coke though, wrap up my drugs in aluminum foil and throw them in some dumbass place.

Heroin is good for 2 weeks, AFter that it start loses it Potency. I actually had Some 70% shit in a set once. Ticket Was Callled "King Of Diamonds" But Here In South Jersey Its As Close To Raw As Possible! But Anyway I was having trouble finding a vein for the first time in 2 years, long story, a cop pulled up behind us and i had to throw my shit. I had to come back the next morning to look for the set in the woods. Only 8 hours after i threw it I found it, and it was 4 bags in it, and it was Banging shit. BUT i did it in the morning and what normally 4 ticks would be a killer rush, it was only half the rush i expected and disapperared after an hour. But this guy i knew that was a wholeSaler told me once the powder hits oxygen it starts losing its touch and after 2 weeks its basically just powder. Think of Baking Soda in a fridge, it sucks up everything, acts like a huge sponge. Dope does the same shit. But if its been vacum sealed Since it was made you can multiply that by maybe 2 so 4 to 6 weeks. Good Luck.

But this guy i knew that was a wholeSaler told me once the powder hits oxygen it starts losing its touch and after 2 weeks its basically just powder. Think of Baking Soda in a fridge, it sucks up everything, acts like a huge sponge. Dope does the same shit.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, yes, baking soda does do that, but at the end of the day, it's still baking soda.

Heroin is relatively stable and I cannot imagine that oxygen would break it down. Water, yes. But oxygen? I don't think so.

You have to remember just how far heroin travels and how many times it's bagged and rebagged. Surely there's even a bit of oxygen in the bag you cop from you dealer.

EDIT: Actually, after doing a bit of research, it does look like oxidation can work to degrade heroin. Hmmm... I learned something today!

If kept in a pocket or close to the body or next to a heater it may alter the chemistry otherwise I would say you are good for a long while. As he said, it's pretty stable

Bags to me never seemed to lose potency stored for months. Never tried years

Now I'm curious about this. I am going to ask someone about this who I am sure has something stored for a long time if they notice any potency difference

Status
Not open for further replies.