• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

That immensely euphoric state prior to a bowel movement, what causes it?

This is an old thread, but recently there is this information: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/18/poo-phoria-passing-a-stool_n_4808627.html

Possibly what the OP is experiencing is a Pavlovian anticipatory associative response to impending vagus nerve induced euphoria. One poster indicated she was a female and so "this is not a prostate thing." In fact, there are nerves analogous to those of the prostate in females under the anterior wall of the vagina, which we hear variously called "G-Spot" and "urethral sponge." I wouldn't write off any of the nerves involved in orgasm. Any or all may be involved.

There are the nerve clusters in the rectum and the anal and colonic sphincters, all of which, because of direct or sympathetic involvement (from physical pressure or agitation during sexual activity and/or orgasmic contractions) can contribute to euphoria during defecation and that could easily invokel association in the mind of an individual, even if there isn't direct stimulation in every case.

The mind/body processes involved in orgasm (as with many aspects of the human experience) are far more complex than we like to admit in science. We prefer to talk about what we know, rather than what we don't know.

I'm posting here because I personally experience these feelings--not every time, but often. I think in my case, the association is easy for me to understand because of direct experience with anal orgasms from sexual activity (heterosexual in my case). I've discovered I'm highly orgasmic, much moreso than I would have ever dreamed from vanilla sex. I've had girlfriends who were multi-orgasmic, but even they didn't hold a candle. My wife enjoys giving me these orgasms as much as I used to enjoyed theirs. It's kind of a big deal to me, and yet I really don't talk about it because people generally don't understand and wouldn't believe. So I totally get where the OP is coming from.

I'm pretty sure it's not an endocrine malfunction. There's a real physiological mechanism for this feeling. In fact, I would suggest that anybody who experiences this might want to experiment with intentional methods of stimulation. They may be capable of much more than they know.

I had to register to this site just so I could respond to this. I was actually googling and browsing the web because I experience the same thing and was just curious what I would find if I searched. So first off, I am a woman. I am also pretty open about my body and things I experience. So it comes natural to have these kind of conversations to me but I've yet to talk to anyone else about this because I've never found anyone that's experienced it either. So I wanted you to know that I do to. I get a really euphoria feeling Before I need to "go". It doesn't last throughout my movement just right before and through the beginning. I have always had a healthy system so when I need to go its always quick and it's usually something I can't hold for long. And yes, it's almost like the feeling of a high from a good snort of a pain pill or something. It's quick but I feel a rush of complete happiness (on top of the urgency to release) as if I could do anything and nothing could be as perfect as this moment I'm in right now. I'm not kidding at all, I've always found it kinda humureous and never really thought too much of it. But as a woman I wanted you to know I experience exactly what you are experiencing. And let's note I do not enjoy anal stimulation either so this is quite the phenomenon to me. I'm also surprised at how little others aren't going through it. I gotta tell you it's quite exciting when it happens and wish I could have that feeling without the actually movement. But I'll take it none the less. Thanks for sharing your experience, I don't feel so alone anymore in this. If you have found any new information on it I'd love to hear it.

What the hell is euphoric right before you drop a bomb? I only experience slight cramps and pressure? Shitty, really!

I absolutely love how many people have signed up on Bluelight JUST to post in this thread :D

It's pretty reliable for me. Every time, especially euphoric at work because it's almost like stepping away from my desk and getting high in the bathroom all while being paid :p I've found myself trying to prolong the feelings for a while, but eventually nature wins.

Interesting contributions from women, thank you! It really does sound like it's directly related to the ASMR phenomenon, which also only affects a small group of the population, and confuses the HELL out of the rest. I find both feelings to be almost identical, simply manifesting in different ways. It actually feels like what would be the same exact drug, just administered in different ROA's (ie. oral vs rectal)

How about just because it feels good. For real, it is like my kids
why why why
It just is

YOu fire the Vargus Nerve which causes a drop in BP and momentary spasm in the heart rate and an increase in dopamine. Some people can become addicted to this which is called defecation syncope

Welcome to Bluelight!! Please tell me this thread convinced you to sign up =D

Some interesting information there. It definitely feels like dopamine is involved in the way it rushes in and flushes out anxiety temporarily. I wonder how this all plays into the whole homosexual thing. I am straight as an arrow, zero desire or even curiosity in that area and madly in love with my woman of 8 years, so it's definitely not only gay dudes who get this sensation.

The other day, I was having a stressful and anxious day at work, and when this feeling arrived it was literally like getting a shot of an anti-anxiety medication for a few minutes. I went from stressed the fuck out to euphoric in seconds flat, and then drifted back to normalcy.

So, let's say it is indeed a release of dopamine that is occurring when this happens, and also when I get ASMR. Do you think this could technically make me depleted or down-regulate receptors if I try triggering it often? Wouldn't that be something...

"Man you look strung out dude...long weekend?"
"Yeah man, held in my poop for like 20 minutes every day this week while listening to a binaural haircut, I'm comin' down hard bro.."

I'm going to need xanax to deal with this shit.

Last edited:
As an opioid addict the last 12yrs I'm well acquainted with phenomenon...and gat damn does it feel great. During AND after. Dat relief after pinching out a loaf thats a foot long and near 3" long at the base.

It almost feels like a reasonable sized shot of gear.

Hi All

I'm new here (just joined today). The feeling described is due to stimulation of the Vagus Nerve. It's the only major nerve which has a route from the pelvic area directly to the brain without running up the spinal column. When poohing the pressure caused over stimulates the nerve causing a drop in blood pressure resulting in a euphoric effect. People have been known to pass out from it whilst doing a particularly large pooh :)

I know it was a while ago when this was posted but i am new to BL and stumbled onto this. I am female and know exactly what you are talking about!! I finally got the courage to ask my mom and sister if they have this about 3 weeks ago. After laughing hysterically for a bit, they said yes but afterwards. I said no, no, no. This is always before and it sneaks up on me. Suddenly I feel so incredibly good, high even. In no time, I know what is coming. Always hate to see that wonderful feeling end! But there is always tomorrow!! I've been looking for an explanation for several weeks. I feel like maybe the serotonin in the gut may have a part. I also love the feeling of a haircut at the nape of my neck, so maybe it all ties together somehow. It was an interesting conversation starter for sure!

Welcome all!

ANY person who knows what I'm talking about and gets this particular feeling, please look into ASMR and report back. We may never hear from you again once you realize what your body is capable of. In short, if you are privy to ASMR, the two feelings are almost identical.

I usually feel more euphoric after my bowels have moved - Haven't read the whole thing but I'm sure I'm not the first person in the thread to point this out =D

You've gotta love these long poop threads. I think there's another one in "Healthy Living" subforum if anybody is interested.

Just signed up after googling this phenomenon and being directed to this thread.
I get the exact same feeling before a poop.
It's weird because I have been getting this feeling for as long as I can remember (I'm 32 M)only it never, up until this afternoon, crossed my mind as to what it was. I think because no sooner has the sensation begun then it is over and I've forgotten all about it. But for some reason, today, I decided to google it to see what it was all about.

It happened today, I was out in the garage looking for my drill and it came over me, like a wave, my whole body tingled with a fuzzy contentment. I halted my search for the drill, took a step back, crossed my arms and spoke out loud to myself about how much I love my garage. I then then started talking about how I was going to resurface the floor and sort the crumbling walls. I was buzzing and couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather have been, until my gf came in to see what was taking me so long. She must have wondered what I was doing standing there with my arms crossed looking lovingly at the rafters in my garage.
I made up an excuse that I thought I'd seen some cracking in the ceiling yadda yadda and that I'd be in in a minute.
By this point I was starting to touch cloth so had to make a dart back into the house for the release. One satisfying squeeze and it was all over.
Now I'm sitting on the sofa and I don't really love my garage anymore and have no real desire to resurface the floor.

Bring on my next poop : )

I groan when I shit, It makes it more pleasurable.

There are type types of shit. 1st, the shit all comes out and you see nothing on the toilet paper. 2nd breaks apart before you're finished and the last bit won't quite come out so you end up smearing shit when you wipe and by the time you get all the shit off you are bleeding.

I've often wondered whether I should just put on a latex glove and stick my fingers up my asshole to dig that last little bit out as I get the 2nd type of shit when I'm constipated from methadone. I think they call it 'digital evacuation of the bowels'.

Now toilet paper seems like such a SHIT invention! By the time you're clean you have hundreds of these little squashed pieces of toilet paper on your asshole. It seems disgusting as they fall out throughout the day and you may as well just use toilet wet wipes after using something like cut up bits of cotton t shirts which you throw into a bag and then into the bin when finished. I think it's weird that we as a western society all seem to use toilet paper for the most part when there are better alternatives. They should start plumbing bidets into every bathroom or add bidet modifications onto toilets. I would if I could afford it.

I wonder how well the squatty potty works. They say the posture you take when sitting on the toilet is unnatural since we're designed to squat when we shit. I made an improvised one out of wood and it seems to work for constipation but that could just be the Movicol.