• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

That immensely euphoric state prior to a bowel movement, what causes it?

I just made an account to let you know that I have similar experiences and I'm still searching for answers myself.

Mine is a little bit different from yours though, but before a bowel movement I don't get any physical sensations, but my mood improves dramatically. I'll get very happy (sometimes before I can even feel a bowel movement coming along) and motivated. I'll suddenly get the urge to do all the things that I normally should for example, clean my room, clean my car, study, go out for a hike, various projects I've brainstormed. But then as soon as I relieve myself it's all gone. My happiness is reset to average, all motivation for doing those things suddenly drops and I go back to lounging around watching TV or playing video games. My best guess is that while the poop is inside it pushes on my prostate or something and releases serotonin, but I have tried anal play several times and I get nothing out of it....

P.S. regarding ASMR: I love it when the barber breaks out the buzzer and gently scratches the back of my hairline with the metal teeth, and also when someone takes over and helps me do something even if I don't need the help similar to what another user said about his boss.

Hey. I'm new here too. I experience the same thing. I don't take any drugs and I'm a girl. I just took a crap a while ago and I felt what you guys call poophoria. I was pretty curious and looked it up on google. This was the first thing that popped up. I couldn't really find the right answers :( I usually feel poophoria before or while I'm taking the crap but once it comes out it goes away. So yea... just wonderin why this happens lol

Oh man this thread.8(...this will be the thread I look at when I'm feeling down...

I had a serious case of mud butt the other day. It felt marvelous to drop off the kids at the pool.

Mods, before you slam the delete button please know that I'm being completely serious and desperately trying to phrase this as maturely as possible. I would hope to get just as mature responses. I'm not a troll!! Check my past-posts and threads for proof! :)

Having said that, I have searched and obviously got a lot of what I was not looking for. So, here I am to ask the question that I've wondered my whole life.....why does my entire body and mind feel so euphoric when I feel like I'm soon to have a bowel movement? It's a phenomenon that has apparently become known as "poop-phoria", or, the euphoric state you may enter before/during/after a bowel movement.

Lot's of people immediately give the most scientific response and say something like "it's because you know you just dropped a huge deuce!" and that's obviously not the answer I'm looking for. Furthermore, it's not so much the state AFTER the fact, it's the extremely euphoric state BEFORE the actual bowel movement. For example, sitting in my computer chair, and I suddenly start to feel an obvious soon-to-come bowel movement, and a cripplingly-wonderful full-body-and-mind euphoria just begins resonating from my abdominal area, not unlike the onset of MDMA or an approaching orgasm. It's such an amazing feeling that I sometimes find myself sitting my in chair, purposely "holding it in" just to prolong the euphoria, because as soon as I let 'er go, the feeling goes away. Afterwards, I feel baseline and normal.

One logical response I read was that when your body is preparing for a bowel movement, blood gets pulled toward your rectum and the result is a 'tingly' feeling everywhere else. Perhaps this 'tingle' is more intense for some than others? I know a lot of folks are going to think I'm absolutely ridiculous for posting this, but I have faith that someone else out there gets this too. If anyone understands ASMR, this is an extremely similar sensation. The body tingles are fantastic, but it's the actual psychological response that I feel that REALLY intrigues me. It's seriously not unlike the rush/onset of a very strong psychoactive drug like MDMA. It really is quite remarkable!!

Hopefully we have adults among us today and some useful information can be shared here! Otherwise, I'm prepared for a flood of poop, ass and homo jokes to come pouring in. 8)
I think this has to do with enjoying the feeling of something in your rectum. No, really. I think you should try prostate massage or something.

Mika☆;11605186 said:
Hey. I'm new here too. I experience the same thing. I don't take any drugs and I'm a girl. I just took a crap a while ago and I felt what you guys call poophoria. I was pretty curious and looked it up on google. This was the first thing that popped up. I couldn't really find the right answers :( I usually feel poophoria before or while I'm taking the crap but once it comes out it goes away. So yea... just wonderin why this happens lol

Try anal sex?

Mika☆;11605186 said:

I can't say for sure but perhaps the process of taking a dump causes the body to briefly increase the release of some type of 'feel good' chemical in that area, such as endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, etc.

I remember reading that in test animals, dopamine was released when eating, drinking (water), during sex, urinating, and other bodily functions. Supposedly this is a survival thing to encourage the animal to partake in this activity from birth and continue doing so (reward pathways).

I've been surprised to be experiencing something similar to the OP over the past week or so, but it's definitely a lower grade version of the phenomenon (I also posted earlier about the ASMR/synesthesia stuff, so I suspect I have a similar kind of physiology). I had never experienced it before, but lately I've cut way back on alcohol consumption after about a decade of fairly frequent use and I have also been using the occasional stimulant so maybe these two factors together are enough to make me experience the same thing. Stimulant use is already correlated with the pleasurable chill sensations in average people -- though not in the context of bowel movements AFAIK -- and I suppose having a lot less of a powerful central nervous system depressant in my body for about week and a half now might be contributing to greater body sensitivity, too.

I remember reading that in test animals, dopamine was released when eating, drinking (water), during sex, urinating, and other bodily functions. Supposedly this is a survival thing to encourage the animal to partake in this activity from birth and continue doing so (reward pathways).
I suppose there is a survival function to anal retention for some animals. Predators could more easily track any animal that just lets it drop as they walk. I just figured they instinctively felt afraid to defecate where it was dangerous to, though, not that they felt any pleasure in retaining feces, which is what you seem (?) to be alluding to.

Foreigner said:
What you're talking about is not a new concept. Some babies hold in their feces because it feels good, and this is where the term "anal retentive" came from
I thought the term came from Freud and wasn't related to pleasure (at least not in any sense like the OP's). Do you remember where you read that?

I experience this phenomenon quite frequently. I, too, have noticed that it occurs when my stools are firm and solidly formed. In my opinion, this is an extremely intimate feeling but not in any way a sexual one. In comparing it to the sensation of rear entry, I can say that, in my case, there are no similarities whatsoever. Sexual arousal is usually accompanied by a desire to be with a partner and to share that intimacy with him. This "poophoria" is nothing like that. It is like an action potential, building to a certain degree before pushing. For me, it is such an intensely intimate feeling that I must be by myself to enjoy it. It's so incredibly intimate, in fact, that I don't want ANYONE around...I especially couldn't stand for anybody to be looking at me...not that they would know. I can't even stand for my dog to be looking at me. It's that private of a feeling. I NEED to be alone — I'm not sure why. When it hits, I like to lie down on my bed on my stomach, which helps me to hold it in as long as I possibly can, and revel in the sensations of extreme pleasure and amazing power. If I can bear down enough to keep it inside—prevent it from turdling out too far— I can maintain that feeling for several minutes. Eventually, it either breaches the perimeter (forces its way out beyond my control), which means it's time to run to the bathroom or else change my undies, or it retreats back up inside and the need to poo dissipates for a while. Before this sensation occurs I, too, experience feelings of enlightenment and well-being. It's such an incredible experience I, also, would love to find a means of triggering it at will. I haven't had one at all today but I can feel it trying to get there. I probably just haven't eaten enough. I know they have stool softeners, I wonder what is available to treat loose stools. Maybe that combined with fiber, or maybe even fiber alone would assure firmer and more frequent stools.

I noticed this phenomena occurring in the dogs I work with at a kennel. Some dogs pop erections while excreting feces. Possibly similar to the OPs experience maybe?

When it hits, I like to lie down on my bed on my stomach
Wow! Reading your post was surreal. I get poophoria, and I've found laying on a soft carpet belly down enhances/prolongs the feeling most effectively. I half close my eyes, resting my cheek on the fuzzy carpet (the cheek of my face lol) and contemplate how well everything in my life is going. I just get incredibly optimistic for the few minutes before the BM. I must say finding this thread has given me a similar feeling of optimism. Maybe the human race isn't as doomed as I thought, if such things can be maturely discussed.

Lots of people discover Bluelight Googling it seems :D

I am actually quite baffled to read this, as I'm pretty sure I know exactly what your talking about! As far as the poop-phoria type thing, I have always wondered why it seemed to feel good to like, stand in a quiet place (usually alone, and in a comfortable environment) and hold in bowel movements. Always wondered about that. But I also completely understand what you mean about the sensation of a particular sound or situation mysteriously putting you in this euphoric state. Ive definitely experienced that! Only, its rare, and I certainly cant seem to bring it on by command or anything. But wow, that is really interesting to hear it explained like that, and how it relates to the 'poop-phoria'! haha

Stuff is crazy right here! I had the same feeling as a kid. And that euphoria would always lead me to be more creative and want to start working abnormally more than I actually would. It would go away pretty fast however so I always kept it in as a kid.

This is the crazy part because I was maybe 4 or 6 or something and my mom found out this was happening so she took me to a doctor who stuck her entire fist up my butt. The doctor was really hot too even though I was 5 or whatever I still was like wow she is sexy. My mom was right there and I vaguely remember saying this feels good and my mom ended the whole thing. I'm pretty sure they were fucking with my prostate which I believe maybe became more sensitive after training it for years. Now that I actually eat my veggies I don't have big poops and if I do I would rather have that shit outta me. But I'm saying that I actually got raped because of this feeling and more understanding about it defiantly needs to happen.

But occasionally I still get ASMIR type effects from pooping and other stuff.

dRCdC8k.png

ebola

The morning dump is definitely the best for me. I look forward to that first cup of coffee followed by the increasing sensation to shit.....holding it in as long as I can and enjoying the immense pleasure. Sort of reminds me of the feeling of edging - not allowing myself to cum when it feels like I'm going to explode. Then the final release.....exploding...followed by an incredible lightness....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

..I need a cigarette...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be honest and admit that I haven't read the whole of this thread, yet. I just wanted to say that I have the exact same thing with an odd, intense pleasure caused by needing to poop. Oddly enough, it manifests predominantly in my right (dominant) hand. Like an orgasm in my hand. Always thought it was a bit odd, but figured I would know by now if it indicated something negative.

And I am a chick, so not a prostate thing ;)

Just wanna say: Stranger, I know exactly what you mean, have noticed it since I was a child of no more than two or three (I would bring my G.I. Joes into the bathroom with me to play with), and I actually found this post because I was looking into the phenomenon myself. But I have a few little twists. I get the euphoria but it manifests itself into the form of inspiration (as far as creativity: music, lyrics, creative ideas of all kinds) so I tend to bring a notebook or tablet in the bathroom with me. Here's another twist: after it's over I almost feel kind of 'down' like mild depression, I think because after it's over, I'm almost like "Damn...now what?" And after that, I completely don't feel like writing whatever it was I was writing or taking whatever idea I was developing any further. I lose all interest--at least, until just a short time later, when I'm back to 'baseline' as they call it (actually a pretty good way to describe it). And I, too, liken it to drugs, except with me it's like the mild rush of euphoria in taking a small amount of adderall (or cocaine--a MINISCULE amount, because they affect the same hormone in the brain: dopamine), like a single 20mg pill, and the ensuing and equal opposite comedown you get with drugs that trigger a dopamine rush (see also: COCAINE. this is a big one with that). I feel this polarity, but on a much smaller scale, of course. I'm not saying having to use the bathroom is anything like doing a line or taking a blast of crack, just like it'd be hard to compare it to 'E' also. But, I do know what you mean. This ends the strangest and most personal discussion I've ever had with complete strangers on the internet, thank you.

Last edited: