• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

That immensely euphoric state prior to a bowel movement, what causes it?

OP sounds full of shit

Maybe after a dump it feels good but my only thought upon confirmation of a shipment about to leave the fudge factory is "do I have time to grab something to read?"

i have the same feeling and now its a constant do we know what does cause it im not constipated have you any answers or know where to look for answer
Mods, before you slam the delete button please know that I'm being completely serious and desperately trying to phrase this as maturely as possible. I would hope to get just as mature responses. I'm not a troll!! Check my past-posts and threads for proof! :)

Having said that, I have searched and obviously got a lot of what I was not looking for. So, here I am to ask the question that I've wondered my whole life.....why does my entire body and mind feel so euphoric when I feel like I'm soon to have a bowel movement? It's a phenomenon that has apparently become known as "poop-phoria", or, the euphoric state you may enter before/during/after a bowel movement.

Lot's of people immediately give the most scientific response and say something like "it's because you know you just dropped a huge deuce!" and that's obviously not the answer I'm looking for. Furthermore, it's not so much the state AFTER the fact, it's the extremely euphoric state BEFORE the actual bowel movement. For example, sitting in my computer chair, and I suddenly start to feel an obvious soon-to-come bowel movement, and a cripplingly-wonderful full-body-and-mind euphoria just begins resonating from my abdominal area, not unlike the onset of MDMA or an approaching orgasm. It's such an amazing feeling that I sometimes find myself sitting my in chair, purposely "holding it in" just to prolong the euphoria, because as soon as I let 'er go, the feeling goes away. Afterwards, I feel baseline and normal.

One logical response I read was that when your body is preparing for a bowel movement, blood gets pulled toward your rectum and the result is a 'tingly' feeling everywhere else. Perhaps this 'tingle' is more intense for some than others? I know a lot of folks are going to think I'm absolutely ridiculous for posting this, but I have faith that someone else out there gets this too. If anyone understands ASMR, this is an extremely similar sensation. The body tingles are fantastic, but it's the actual psychological response that I feel that REALLY intrigues me. It's seriously not unlike the rush/onset of a very strong psychoactive drug like MDMA. It really is quite remarkable!!

Hopefully we have adults among us today and some useful information can be shared here! Otherwise, I'm prepared for a flood of poop, ass and homo jokes to come pouring in. 8)

if anyone knows the answer please tell or give ideas mature ones only please

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Have a read through the thread and you will find some of just that. For example...

A lot of bowel activity is regulated by serotonin, so it could be that.

Anal-retentiveness is a behaviour associated with deriving pleasure from holding it in. There is surely a connection between that and the neuro-transmitter system.

The rectum and anus share a lot of common innervation with the genitals -- motor, sensory, and autonomic included. I could be off base with this, but I think of it as analogous to referred pain, whereby, for example, traumatic injury to the esophagus can be felt as pain in the back between the upper scapulae, because they both share a common spinal level for innervation, and action potentials can easily propagate from one to the other.

Except, of course, in this case it's referred pleasure, not pain. ;)

I really don't know if I buy the explanation that pleasure from popping out a dookie has evolutionary adaptive value. I think it's something of a spandrel -- it was a lucky coincidence due to innervation from common spinal levels and peripheral nerves, and had nothing selecting against it.

While we're on the subject of pleasure and pain, I've noticed that if I have sex or masturbate while I've got a major itch going on somewhere on my skin that I've left unscratched, the sexual pleasure gets referred to that spot on my skin, and replaces the unpleasant sensation of an itch! This explains why having a little bit of psoriasis on my dick has been kind of a boon -- it extends the pleasure zone because it itches. I think there is a close physiological connection between itch and sexual pleasure, and makes me almost certain sexual pleasure is carried on afferent pain fibers. (I'll have to look that up.)

LOL. How do you think I found this post? I was in poop-phoria, on the comp not wanting to go to the toilet and decided to type in google "euphoria before a bowel movement" and this came up LOL ahahaha. OP, it is 100% real and I get it too. In fact while in the euphoric state I go ape-shit with positive thoughts and research. For like five minutes I just think of how good I can make life if I try rofl.

It is not relief that is certain and it happens BEFORE--, it can be described as a motivating extreme mood lift that influences positive thoughts with a mixture of tingly type feelings, sort of like pins and needles all over the body with little rush like aspects that are pleasurable. Goes away very quickly after I have been to the toilet though.

While we're on the subject of pleasure and pain, I've noticed that if I have sex or masturbate while I've got a major itch going on somewhere on my skin that I've left unscratched, the sexual pleasure gets referred to that spot on my skin, and replaces the unpleasant sensation of an itch! This explains why having a little bit of psoriasis on my dick has been kind of a boon -- it extends the pleasure zone because it itches. I think there is a close physiological connection between itch and sexual pleasure, and makes me almost certain sexual pleasure is carried on afferent pain fibers. (I'll have to look that up.)

So feelings of well-being as well as feeling like shit share the same information highway inside the nervous system?

man....ive wandered into a seriously fucked up thread. Youll be comparing shit samples next8o

I find that whenever I gotta take a dump while in the middle of acute opiate withdrawal it (ever so briefly) relieves most notably the muscle aches and pains. Yeah.... :sus:

man....ive wandered into a seriously fucked up thread. Youll be comparing shit samples next8o

And when they do they need to keep in mind, it's not the size that matters, rather the amount of euphoria produced. :p

It's the shit nugget rubbing up against your prostate.

That's why you get enjoyment out of prairie-dogging it. (For anyone who does know, prairie-dogging is when the nugget sticks his head out of the hole, but then you push him back inside).

Sounds like you would probably loved getting analed.

It's the shit nugget rubbing up against your prostate.

That's why you get enjoyment out of prairie-dogging it. (For anyone who does know, prairie-dogging is when the nugget sticks his head out of the hole, but then you push him back inside).

Sounds like you would probably loved getting analed.
and the vagus nerve for females? ?? ?

I experience this phenomena most intensely during haircuts, especially with the trimmers around the back of my neck (sometimes I have to ask them to stop). When I was a child I used to derive immense pleasure from having people draw on my back. I would try to get anyone to play the "guess what I'm drawing" game I could, and would sometimes just ask them to keep doing it when I didn't have to guess so I could lose myself in the sensations and go into a sleepy trance (often having to offer favors like my lunch's dessert in payment to impatient kids that weren't hip to my groove). Like you experience with your boss, I've noticed the psychological component of knowing someone is doing something simple and repetitive for you that at the same time evokes the sensation synergizes with the experience in ineffable ways (same with the hair cut).
"Alone in the Wilderness" program.

As a child i had experienced the feeling that everyone seems to be talking about, but with age and drugs it seems to have faded a bit. I used to get all warm and fuzzy before a BM but only for a few minutes, but its a nice feeling. and it does seem connected to the feelings of happiness i used to get during a hair cut. I used to get goose bumps all over my body with tingling sensatons. But now when i go, its kind of uncomfortable. As a child i had no responsibility to keep conversation flowing, etc. and so i was able to slip into my own "me" centered world, similar to the one i used to slip into when i was quite young and forced to go to church. I would turn inward and in doing so, i'd open myself up to these sensations.

Now i think i have so many executive processes going on that cut me off from that special place. I can relate to the lightly drawing on one's back with a finger, or better yet, having someone hanging right over you but not quite touching you. so close, whether to reach something past you or to deliberately create this effect by moving one's hands around while a fraction of an inch above someone else's body, for me this still can create that sensation. In light of this thread, i'm going to make a point of trying to be more in tune with myself and take back those special moments.

I would like to thank the OP for having the courage to start this thread. It has become a fruitful discussion in which people have been able to share a subjective facet of thier beings, and in doing so has also enabled us to connect in a new way under the umbrella of the human condition. These types of things are not often talked about, even though so many of us experience them as part of our internal lives every day. How many more parts of the subjective human experience do we share but have never aknowledged, never shared, that we think is "just me"? It is a delicate medium to work in, but perhaps we're at that that point in our social evolution where it is time to explore these subtleties. Someone had said that this type of phenomenon has been known to dissipate with age/time, but i don't feel that this has to be this way. I have a feeling we can cultivate a subtle joymore delicate consciousness where the artificial stresses of life do not quell the subtle joy of being human.

I usually feel like crap and bloated before I have to take a shit (no pun intended). Only time I really feel good about it is when I'm dropping a good sized one but it's the kind that's soft enough so it doesn't grind your rectum to pieces. I also get pissed off if I don't shit at least once a day.

Mods, before you slam the delete button please know that I'm being completely serious and desperately trying to phrase this as maturely as possible. I would hope to get just as mature responses. I'm not a troll!! Check my past-posts and threads for proof! :)

Having said that, I have searched and obviously got a lot of what I was not looking for. So, here I am to ask the question that I've wondered my whole life.....why does my entire body and mind feel so euphoric when I feel like I'm soon to have a bowel movement? It's a phenomenon that has apparently become known as "poop-phoria", or, the euphoric state you may enter before/during/after a bowel movement.

Lot's of people immediately give the most scientific response and say something like "it's because you know you just dropped a huge deuce!" and that's obviously not the answer I'm looking for. Furthermore, it's not so much the state AFTER the fact, it's the extremely euphoric state BEFORE the actual bowel movement. For example, sitting in my computer chair, and I suddenly start to feel an obvious soon-to-come bowel movement, and a cripplingly-wonderful full-body-and-mind euphoria just begins resonating from my abdominal area, not unlike the onset of MDMA or an approaching orgasm. It's such an amazing feeling that I sometimes find myself sitting my in chair, purposely "holding it in" just to prolong the euphoria, because as soon as I let 'er go, the feeling goes away. Afterwards, I feel baseline and normal.

One logical response I read was that when your body is preparing for a bowel movement, blood gets pulled toward your rectum and the result is a 'tingly' feeling everywhere else. Perhaps this 'tingle' is more intense for some than others? I know a lot of folks are going to think I'm absolutely ridiculous for posting this, but I have faith that someone else out there gets this too. If anyone understands ASMR, this is an extremely similar sensation. The body tingles are fantastic, but it's the actual psychological response that I feel that REALLY intrigues me. It's seriously not unlike the rush/onset of a very strong psychoactive drug like MDMA. It really is quite remarkable!!

Hopefully we have adults among us today and some useful information can be shared here! Otherwise, I'm prepared for a flood of poop, ass and homo jokes to come pouring in. 8)

I also have this euphoric experience that the OP describes. I was actually surprised how similar the OP's traits are to my own. I'm absolutely anxiety/depression prone and have tampered into psychs, finding how strong my reaction is to them. I've experienced poop-phoria as long as I can remember. It always happens when I'm at home, relaxing in my computer chair prior to the BM and sometimes when I'm out in public or at work and a BM comes along, but it's more rare. It's like my creativity fires up during the sensation and I'll create multitudes of stories in my head, almost bringing me to a different plane of existence like I'm in the worlds I'm creating in my head. Being a striving fantasy novelist, I've developed many of my plot-lines while in poop-phoria, planning out a trilogy plus many stand alone plots thanks to this sensation. Only downside is once I complete the BM, the desire to physically act upon my stories goes down the drain. (pun intended) I believed I was the only one to experience this kind of sensation until I decided to look into it. I actually didn't start questioning why I felt it until a few weeks ago, it always processed as a typical reaction prior to BMs. It's relieving to know that I'm not the only one out there that gets that amazing feeling of euphoria, was starting to think I was a bit crazy.

OP, I don't know the exact reason, but I do know that serotonin receptors aren't just in the brain, they're also in your gut, around your heart, etc. There's even grey matter there. So maybe the approaching bowel movement causes some kind of endorphin release. I don't think it has to do with the prostate specifically because women have this phenomenon too.

What you're talking about is not a new concept. Some babies hold in their feces because it feels good, and this is where the term "anal retentive" came from.