• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Serotonin Syndrome aftermath

I feel you man, I was .9 g or 5 HTP for two weeks, while I was on SSRI's, then rolled one night and sniffed some coke.

It was a weird experince, I deperosnalized big time, never got any euphoria though.

I slept fine that night and didn't seem tense, or hyperventilating or anything. So I might have suffered SS as well but ii'm not sure.

By the way, it doesn't matter how much 5 HTP you take. Regardless your body can only take so much. 5-Hydroxytryptophan is decarboxylated to serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) by the enzyme aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase, which is limited because it's a rate determining enyzme, meaning that it can only process/convert a certian amount of 5 HTP at a time, rendering the rest useless, as 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) has to be converted to 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) before it can cross the BBB (blood brain barrier) to be used by your CNS.

i know this is an old post but just in case somebody reads it...its total bullshit, 5-Ht is a free amine and hydroxyl, it absolutely cannot cross the blood brain barrier, and it is made inside of the BBB (so that it doesn't have to cross, not outside)

Last edited:
You are better not flaming this guy that commit just one error in one post.

ok hadini... Shit I forgot the pass to my other account lol
Off to sober living for me ...under this username I'm sober..

First off I just want to say...Trammies you are an Ignoramus. That being said I am recovering from my second episode of Serotonin Syndrome. I feel like I need to explain to the best of my knowledge what drugs led to the Syndrome because I detect quite a bit of skepticism in these threads. (people doubting what I was going through exacerbated the "Agitation" during the 2nd episode). I am just going to list the drugs I did in chronological order because the part of my brain that has those memories is inaccessible at the momemt.
IV 60cc MDMA, IV 90cc METHAMPETAMINE, 5 Trazadone,3 or 4 5-HTP pills (BIG MISTAKE), 1 huge hit of synthetic marijuana. About 5 mins after the hit of synthetic weed I was full on Hallucinating. I started pacing back and forth through my house and thought the best thing to do would be to just ride it out. I tried to lay down (this is where the memories get a bit fuzzy). I remember looking in the mirror and 1 of my pupils was breathing and the other one was normal this transformed into complete Mydriasis after about an hour. I couldn't stop shaking my leg and I think I blacked out after about 20 mins of doing that only to wake up and not be able to move my arms or legs...well not really, I could move them but it was VERY slow (like I had to will my brain to get them to move). I decided to try to go downstairs and tell my parents about this. I thought I had been poisoned I told them. My mom felt my head and immediately put me in a cold shower. I remember looking at my legs and they look like they were vibrating (Myoclonus). The shower helped a lot and I was able to go back upstairs and fall asleep. I will finish this later..

First off I just want to say...Trammies you are an Ignoramus. That being said I am recovering from my second episode of Serotonin Syndrome. I feel like I need to explain to the best of my knowledge what drugs led to the Syndrome because I detect quite a bit of skepticism in these threads. (people doubting what I was going through exacerbated the "Agitation" during the 2nd episode). I am just going to list the drugs I did in chronological order because the part of my brain that has those memories is inaccessible at the momemt.
IV 60cc MDMA, IV 90cc METHAMPETAMINE, 5 Trazadone,3 or 4 5-HTP pills (BIG MISTAKE), 1 huge hit of synthetic marijuana. About 5 mins after the hit of synthetic weed I was full on Hallucinating. I started pacing back and forth through my house and thought the best thing to do would be to just ride it out. I tried to lay down (this is where the memories get a bit fuzzy). I remember looking in the mirror and 1 of my pupils was breathing and the other one was normal this transformed into complete Mydriasis after about an hour. I couldn't stop shaking my leg and I think I blacked out after about 20 mins of doing that only to wake up and not be able to move my arms or legs...well not really, I could move them but it was VERY slow (like I had to will my brain to get them to move). I decided to try to go downstairs and tell my parents about this. I thought I had been poisoned I told them. My mom felt my head and immediately put me in a cold shower. I remember looking at my legs and they look like they were vibrating (Myoclonus). The shower helped a lot and I was able to go back upstairs and fall asleep. I will finish this later..

^

Dude you just mixed too many drugs.

That sounds like you were really messed up. I don't know what to tell you but its not likely that you got serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome requires medical intervention. To be honest, I think you need to place the blame where it most likely belongs - the synthetic "weed" is the most likely culprit out of those.

Seriously, that stuff causes seizures, coma, and death by itself.

I had a weird reaction smoking JWH-250 which was considered to be a very light JWH high when I had taken 100mg of trazodone to go to sleep where I ended up in a fully hallucinatory state after just a hit of JWH-250 on damiana as a substrate. Synthetic cannabinoids are no joke.

Its not likely the 5-HTP had anything to do with it. Its simply not a high enough dose of 5-HTP to cause a problem.

This very post earlier in the thread actually summarizes it quite well.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...-aftermath?p=10269827&viewfull=1#post10269827

Last edited:
Hey guys I would like some advice, I have only done mdma on 3 occasions and a month ago (3rd time) I had a real bad time on it and have decided that I'm never touching the stuff again! The week after I felt like death and then things got better but a month later and I'm feeling the effects again! Is this possible seretonin syndrome because currently I'm suffering headaches anxiety etc. and will this go away?! Currently feel as if things won't get any better than this could really do with some advice

Well, i'm not sure what a troll is but i guess thats what i am, heres the whole story. After rolling twice in 3 days, and taking 100 mg of 15 hour time release 5htp daily for quite some time prior, i continued using 100 mgs of 5htp for another two days. Than I decided to take 200 mgs... about 2 hours later i was house passing a bong, at first everything seemed good i got as high as i normally did while on 5htp and it started with heat flashes. My heart started racing and I felt waves of coldness hypertension and heat (yes i no is contradicting but it what was happening ) going through my body, i asked my friend for water and he could tell something was wrong. He got it quickly but by time he came back downstairs i could barely move my hand to grab the cup, my whole body was stiff, yet at the same i was shivering and the lower half of my body would not stop twitching, i suddenly felt like i was going to puke. I managed to make it to the bathroom and coughed up nothing but blood, my nasau was than replaced with diarhea, as i was going through this the walls around me in the bathroom started to wave as if i was one lsd or something, that when the auditory hallucinations which were nothing but buzzing and crashing noises this startled me and i jumped up from where i was sitting..which is also where i was shitting. i ran out of the bathroom and back into my friends room, thats when my vision became consumed with blackness and the next thing i know my friend was lifting me up and telling me i was going to the hospital, there i told the doctors that i had used 5htp increased the dose and smoked weed as the previously mentioned symptoms would all hit me in waves about every 15 or so minutes. Yeah i left out the mdma but they told me what i had was serotonin syndrome, which i had heard about already and was pretty sure was what i had. I stayed there for 24 hours as i was pumped with water and on some drug that numbed me pretty well.
The only reason i did not share all that is because i was not trying to relive my expirence, typing all this has literly made my whole body start shaking again, and i see that you do not want to either but i am sincere and dont want anything like this to ever happen again so please share whatever it is you can

wow... something similar happened to me years ago and it was after smoking WEED.

I had a very bad come-down, a few days later I took some weed... then it triggered something awful.

I always assumed it was a very bad panic attack, but reading your story im wondering if it was serotonin syndrome. I wrote a trip report on this site it was so severe

Cannabis after MDA inducing severe panic attack

it definitely wasn't SS. just a bad comedown/panic attack exacerbated by weed.
and why did you take more MDMA the week after? hope you learnt the lesson :)

What "First Bad Comedown" said on the first page is absolute gold. i've been using MDMA for 13 years, i go through periods of taking breaks, doing it intermittently, and sometimes going way overboard.

i've experienced mild serotonin syndrome once, around 11-12 years ago. at the time i was very concerned and it seemed quite extreme, but as time went on and i read up on it more - i realized that it was actually a mild case. i began to experience serotonin syndrome another time, around 3-4 years ago, it seemed very worrisome but luckily i had alprazolam on hand and that lowered my body temperature, allowed my body to process liquids again, stopped the extreme dehydration and disorientation. i won't bother going into details, so it's not TL-DR, but basically both time the serotonin syndrome was from polydrug-use. it was not MDMA by itself, MDMA is a very safe compound if used responsibly.

what most of my experience lies in, is serotonin depletion. i've had many varying degrees of serotonin depletion, with the worst being extremely raw emotions of all extremes (from anxiety to depression to extreme happiness, not just the typical depression you have of, i'm not normally much of an emotional person). inability to sleep, i'd only get a couple hours of sleep per night and still feel energized as if i drank a ton of coffee throughout the day, when i did get a couple hours of sleep it was interrupted by me waking up from terrifying nightmares once every 10-20 minutes. another sleep issue was sleep paralysis which i would get as i'm transitioning from conscious to unconscious, that's always pretty scary. when my serotonin depletion was severe, i'd find that 5htp would make it worse. it would actually make the sleep paralysis more frequent and more intense, so i stopped taking 5htp when i already had serotonin depletion. even with bad cases of serotonin depletion, i'd feel significantly better by only a week later. i'd eat plenty of protein in my diet and exercise (crunches, push-ups, weight lifting) and i have to say - the exercise made the largest difference... really it made ALL the difference. as "First Bad Comedown" stated, you have to push yourself to extreme exhaustion and repeat the next day. by a week and a half to 2 weeks of that type of exercise, i'd be back to normal. certainly not 100% back to normal, but i'd consider it "close enough" to where it's of no issue anymore. i'd definitely keep up the exercise as well, it's an aid like no other. i have no cases of sleep paralysis or reoccurring nightmares when i'm baseline, only when i've had serotonin syndrome. i've always bounced back everytime as well, some of us (such as myself) are so stubborn that we have to learn a lesson many times before it finally sinks in. i had an issue of just throwing caution to the wind and doing what i want to do anyway, justifying it through "i work hard all week, busting my ass to pay bills, i deserve this" even if i've already been overdoing it. best thing to do is make a personal rule "i only take x amount and my frequency of use will be x" and stick to it.

Sorry, y'all to dredge this up, but this thread has been way more helpful than any doctor has been. I had this bad reaction years ago to a perscribed medication and have felt like utter crap and so lost since. This post gives me hope and an idea of what to do to gain my life back aside from just "stay away from every drug known to man".

My serotonin syndrome story

I was going to start a thread to relay my episode of serotonin syndrome, but since this thread seems to be quite helpful I will just add my story to it.

Tl;dr - 4 years ago I accidentally overdosed on vyvanse and symbyax, resulting in serotonin syndrome and 3 days of very real hallucinations. . I now have unrelated hppd and hallucinate and felt like a hit for 3 full days.

This was 4 years ago almost exactly. At the time I was prescribed 70mg vyvanse and Symbyax. Symbyax is a combination medication used for sleep and for d I other drugs taken that day besides pot. and maybe it was the timing of the combination, I'm not sure. I remember taking two vyvanse and one symbyax. Then i go blank. Apparently, something happened and I ended up taking 20x 70mg vyvanse (1.4g vyanse) and also 20x of the symbyax

Somehow I must have gotten to bed and was dreaming I waz freaking out and that I was frantically looking for my family. But it was just really weird because it was an antique store.

And then I found out I wasn't dreaming. Somehow, I had managed to get into my car with no shoes and no shirt, and drive 8 miles down two busy streets to the ace hardware store. The employees called the cops, and instead of arresting me, the cop called my mom and she came up and got me. I was so fucked up the cop didn't suspect me of drug use; he assumed I was mentally disabled. I remember sitting in the front seat feeling like I AM the emptiness, like shit and no clue how it had happened. It gets worse.

Most people that get serotonin poisoning either die or start to recover tiaras quickly - hallucinations can persist for long term but most are gone within 24 hours. I hallucinate for 3 days.

I remember waking up one morning drenched in sweat - but I thought I woke up as stuck in a wetsuit. I also tried to catch all of the ants that were crawling on the floor and the baseboard.

I also hallucinated a 30 minute conversation with an ex that I was convinced was in the other room, but when I went back to check there was no one there.

The scariest part? The fucking tremors. My legs would start to shake so bad that my mom had to literally lie on top of my legs to keep me from bouncing off the bed. This happened more than once but she refused to take me to the hospital bc she was convinced I'd be labeled a drug abuser. We solved that issue when I signed up for rehab! At least in the sense that I accepted a drug abuser label in my medical history. But yeah, she called jy psychiatrist at the time 48 hours after the OD and his response was that if I'm still alive, I'm probably not gonna die. I felt like I was though. I felt like my skin had been dried out and strung through a desert of force DJ amrestore.

I abstained from all drugs for a month and after that I added pot back in. Didn't recognize any noticeable defects after this episode, then jumped on the methwagon about 4 months after this., then went to rehab, which probably saved my life. Thankfully, that was the end and any other issues related to hard drug use r were elicited back them

Last edited:
You seem to be informative.

So, 21 months ago was when I had my bout of SS. I'm not into drugs anymore, and hadn't been for about a year and a half, this was a completely accidental OD. My dumbass had a cold, and I was take niquil/DayQuil, but also take musinex DM, and ibuprofen, 2-3 times daily, for 2 days I felt fuzzy, distant from myself, but on Sunday morning, I took my medicine trying to get over this severe cold, got a shower, and got in my car to head to Starbucks. I remember on my way to Starbucks, feeling funny, like everything was moving strangely. Wavey almost. And when I finally got to Starbucks and got my drink, which I don't remember ordering or walking in, I started sweating, heart racing and I was in full panic. I kept getting this weird euphoric feeling in my head, as if blood was rushing to my brain then quickly depleting, then my arms and legs would go numb. I had a friend who met me there, and I had her take me home: I sat down for a minute and watched tv and felt better, but then it started again, this strange feeling in my head, and my heart fucking pounding. I went and talked to her and she noticed I had one pupil dilated and one not. I got her to give me a ride to the hospital. While there, I remember panicking every single time the doctor came to me, my blood pressure was 210/115, (not good) and I absolutely thought I was going to die. The doctor came back eventually and informed me that she thought I may have serotonin syndrome, so she got my symptoms, and confirmed it was more than likely SS. They kept me over night, and I felt fine leaving the hospital. My uncle picked me up, and we went to target where I worked at the time. The lights bugged me out so bad. My heart started racing, and I got the feeling in my head again, the euphoric feeling is the worst. Anyways, so that happened, and continued to happen for about 2 1/2 weeks. It got to the point where I couldn't get out of bed without having several episodes, the only time I didn't get them was when I was asleep... After a couple months it started getting a little better, but here I am 21 months later, I still get that strange euphoric feeling, and I still have really bad panic attacks or something, heart racing, elevated blood pressure.. I'll go to the hospital scared out of
My mind, but they don't seem to understand what's going on.. I feel so lost. I'm currently taking paroxotine for anxiety, and losartan for hypertension. Could these be making me feel this way still?

5-HTP is also some kind of benzos f0rm prescription in my country but it has bad ss too.

my friend took 8 per day while i took 1-2 htp-5 to get the floating feeling. he envy me because i only needed 2 to feel good.

So, you have SS from 5-HTP, ganja and MDMA, get brought to hospital for it, and all you wanna do is smoke again?
I'm no expert, but I think staying off all drugs, aside form prescriptions, like benzos for any anxiety, would probably be a wise idea.

I hope everything goes well for you though, and that you recover quickly!

So, 21 months ago was when I had my bout of SS. I'm not into drugs anymore, and hadn't been for about a year and a half, this was a completely accidental OD. My dumbass had a cold, and I was take niquil/DayQuil, but also take musinex DM, and ibuprofen, 2-3 times daily, for 2 days I felt fuzzy, distant from myself, but on Sunday morning, I took my medicine trying to get over this severe cold, got a shower, and got in my car to head to Starbucks. I remember on my way to Starbucks, feeling funny, like everything was moving strangely. Wavey almost. And when I finally got to Starbucks and got my drink, which I don't remember ordering or walking in, I started sweating, heart racing and I was in full panic. I kept getting this weird euphoric feeling in my head, as if blood was rushing to my brain then quickly depleting, then my arms and legs would go numb. I had a friend who met me there, and I had her take me home: I sat down for a minute and watched tv and felt better, but then it started again, this strange feeling in my head, and my heart fucking pounding. I went and talked to her and she noticed I had one pupil dilated and one not. I got her to give me a ride to the hospital. While there, I remember panicking every single time the doctor came to me, my blood pressure was 210/115, (not good) and I absolutely thought I was going to die. The doctor came back eventually and informed me that she thought I may have serotonin syndrome, so she got my symptoms, and confirmed it was more than likely SS. They kept me over night, and I felt fine leaving the hospital. My uncle picked me up, and we went to target where I worked at the time. The lights bugged me out so bad. My heart started racing, and I got the feeling in my head again, the euphoric feeling is the worst. Anyways, so that happened, and continued to happen for about 2 1/2 weeks. It got to the point where I couldn't get out of bed without having several episodes, the only time I didn't get them was when I was asleep... After a couple months it started getting a little better, but here I am 21 months later, I still get that strange euphoric feeling, and I still have really bad panic attacks or something, heart racing, elevated blood pressure.. I'll go to the hospital scared out of
My mind, but they don't seem to understand what's going on.. I feel so lost. I'm currently taking paroxotine for anxiety, and losartan for hypertension. Could these be making me feel this way still?
Your doctor said you had SS from ibuprofen and DXM?...that's a shit physician. You probably just took too much DXM.

This is a great thread. First Bad Comedowns posts should really be stickied.

FBC, if you're still around, do you think it's possible your advice would allow someone to return to normal if they've been suffering from a long term comedown for over two months?

Hello, I have searched the web to try and find help for my experience. I as well believe 100% I had serotonin syndrome. I have partied with "ecstasy" since I was 18 this occurred last April at the age of 32 in Vegas at a bachelor party. I missed the Friday night flight which all my buds got some moon rocks and were boasting about it through text to me. I told my buddy who lives there to save me two. I go sat morning to Vegas. He saves me two and they all took theirs Friday night and were telling me all about how great it was that night and how good these were. I got excited and popped both 30 min between each other. My friend gets more from another sources for the group. I'm feeling gooooood so I ask him for another capsule this one is from the new source. I popped it 20 min right before the club. We get a cabana and all of the sudden I feel like I have vertigo and something is suddenly off. We get up there and we have bottles so I start drinking but I can't sit still I keep drinking to try and let the alcohol take over. My heart starts going nuts and my breathing starts increasing like crazy. I start freaking out. We have about 10 dudes and 3 chicks we just invited in the spot. They're looking at me weird like the security keeps walking past the cabana looking in at me. One of my friends dedicates himself to taking care of me but he keeps calming me down but my heart rate and breathing keep jumping back up. This lasts for two hours. I kept almost blacking out, the blackness was closing in with my vision, I had to fight it hard I remember feeling like this was it and I kept asking to talk to my mom. Finally the last time my friend tried to calm me down I couldn't and I got up and I thought I died. Then it stopped all of the sudden. I felt really weird but no more panic breathing or crazy heart rate. We stayed out a little longer and then we went to the hotel room. My friend was cracked out asking me all these questions and I felt like I was about to black out again. I def couldn't sleep and needed to completely calm down so I asked my friend for a Xanax (I know dumb) but it worked I passed out. I came back home and my view on life changed I felt like I was given a second chance. I stopped partying as much. The problem then became my traumatic experience affecting my life. I now have anxiety which I NEVER had before. I've had a couple of panic attacks. The biggest thing now is that I am ALWAYS checking my pulse and heart. I feel like this damaged my heart. I know it could all be in my head but you never know. The checking the pulse thing is annoying and embarrassing. Has anyone had these post symptoms?! Any help is appreciated!!

Last week my doctor added wellbutrin, to Lexapro and adderal and lisinoprol (a blood pressure medication). The following Monday, I began to experience drenching sweats that went on for hours, and were outwardly noticable to other people. I was additionally getting heart palpatations, and twitching and tremors. Over the course of the week the symptoms kept getting worse and worse, but without sleepling, I was delierious and presumed it was just the flu and powered on through work. Driving to work Wednesday, I was turning at a redlight and my vision faded for a few second, it just went dark. Then on wedensday I began to experience multiple other problems with my motor functions. I was having trouble typing. If I stood up to quickly I would fall over. I was trembling uncontrollably and unable to use fine motor skills like a computer mouse. I hadn't slept for three days by that time and had not eaten. I was either sweating or shivering, then my hands and feet began to swell so I called my doctor. I drove home thursday night and got out of my car and lost full conciousness hitting my head on the car door. The symptoms were very confusing to me. I assumed it had been the lisinoprol, so I called my doctor. My muscles were stiff, and painful to even lie down, or sit. I was scared to get up in the middle of the night for fear of falling. It was like my muscles and body movements no longer belonged to me. I was confused constandly, made noticabley jerky awkward involuntary movements. The sleep deprivation was making me descend into a sort of madness, and with that came short term memory loss.

I went to the Doctors on Friday and she discocntinued alll my medications. I had a BP of 111/147 and a resting heart rate of 180. I told her I didn't need to go to the hospital and went home. Four hours a madness and feeling like I was going to die later, and pacing around, I decided to go to the hospital. With the intermittent vision impairments I took an uber. They also diagnosed me with seretonin syndrom and gave me fluids and ativan, tested my blood etc.
e c
They gave me a weeks worth of tranquilizers and I have a follow up with a different doctor.. it's day two taking the at home tranquilizers, and I still have muscle aches and mental fogginesss. I'm still exhausted though I slept for many many hours.

I am just wondering when this will normalize. The internet says that I should be fine after 24 hours. I still have chronus and pain in my joints, and I'm still not "all there". I have a follow up thursday with another physician. What is the best things to ask about prescription wise to help me get back on my feeet. I was hoping for an answer from First Bad Come down.