⫸STICKY⫷ "name changes: a one time perk for a $25 donation" thread

Forum Moderator

Bluelight Bot
Staff member
This question has been asked countless times, and the answer has been and will continue to be the same.

How do I delete my account & posts?

You can't delete your account. But you can delete your own posts... one at a time. Use the search engine to show all posts created by yourself, open each one, and click the 'edit' button next to each one. The delete option is there, and from that point onwards you'll know what to do. You're awesome enough to be reading this FAQ, so I have every faith in you.

However, your general awesomeness does not extend to deleting posts in closed or archived threads. The board software does not allow users to edit or remove their contributions when a thread is closed or archived. As such, you'll need to PM the forum moderators and ask them to do it. If you've already deleted the bulk of your other posts, the moderators should do this for you - although it remains at their discretion. If you get no joy via this route, feel free to report the posts in question and bring it to the attention of other staff members.

Here is a variation of the answer to this same question:

For personal reasons I need to cease all contact with the site and never return. How do I leave Bluelight?

Go to your UserCP and modify your profile to remove all personal details. While changing your profile, choose "No" to receiving all types of email messages. Review your thread subscriptions and be sure to unsubscribe from everything. That way you will not be contacted again about anything relating to Bluelight. Be sure to log out and remove all Bluelight-related bookmarks from your computer. Congratulations, you are no longer a Bluelighter.

But what about my posts? Can the administrators delete all of my posts for me?

No, we will not delete all of your posts. Everyone is free to manually delete or edit their own posts. It is the user's responsibility to take care of their own business. Do not expect the administrators to solve your problems for you.

Why won't you delete my account for me?

Again, this is the user's responsibility. No one forced you to register and no one is forcing you to leave.

No, but you don't understand! This is an emergency!

Our experience has shown that most of these requests come in the middle of some, possibly drug-induced moment of paranoia. If you're worried about what you've posted here, take some time away from the computer. Maybe it will seem like less of a problem the next day (link).

=======================

UPDATE per the a 'thank you' perk for donators - account name change

following the launch of the donations portal (see: Introducing Bluelight's Donations Portal!), we're pleased to announce that those donating to bluelight now receive a one-time account name change as a thank you.

if you would like to take advantage of this perk, simply forward the receipt email you receive from maps to [email protected], along with the new name you are requesting. the abandoned accounts policy (see: change to the terms of the blua: abandoned accounts) will apply.

there's no donation minimum - donate what you can afford - but we think $25 seems about right.

Staff are allowed one free name change.

Last edited by a moderator:
MEGA "we do not delete accounts" thread

It truly sucks that it takes so much effort to ditch Bluelight. I think there is tons of useful information here, it's a valuable resource, but I'm sick of people making you say things I did not say. Of people shutting down threads with one arbitrary click. Leaving you wondering just what you d or were trying to say in the first place.

One time I asked a question and was actually told by a mod to "Go google it"... What's the point of being in a forum if I'm told to go find my own answers?

But I did heed that advice. I always do my own research now and I actually think I'm able to get better answers on my own, ones that are more well rounded, have more complexity. And I don't need to tailor my curiosity to suit the standards of others. It's happened one too many times that I was made to feel that I was saying something pointless or illicit. Pursuing that noble need of this forum to be about "harm reduction," it ignores potentially valuable content. You often get "We can't possibly answer that, there's no point in discussing that!" when yes, maybe there is a relevant discussion there even if there are some caveats.

Anyway, as indicated by the FAQS, I sent a PM to a Mod asking kindly to assist me in deleting some of my posts in threads that are closed or archived.... I did not receive a reply. Let me know if there is an Admin or someone else who can help me. Again, I'm asking nicely.

if you post a link to the posts you would like removed, i am sure someone can help you.

all staff positions on BL are volunteer and sometimes staff members get wrapped up in real life. if you don't get a response after a reasonable time frame (36-48 hours), you can message another mod from the forum or a member of senior staff.

You can also report your posts that you need deleted. I'm sure you can go another few days with your posts existing in some closed threads on a website. It's not the end of the world if 1 or 2 people read them.

Sorry you've decided to leave, Vstar. The guys above have correctly advised you on how to remove your final posts in locked/archived threads. I've amended the thread title slightly to match your requirement.

However, have you considered using other areas of the site? Perhaps different forums on the board may suit your needs better?

Or perhaps you'll come back to us at a later date?

Besides, it's always sad to lose an member who actually read the FAQ! :D

How do you become an ex-bluelighter

Just curious I know theres a way of doing it but i cant remember for the life of me how you do it!

Thanks!

You be a bad arse until someone lays you out with a ban-hammer.

LOL thats the only way? :( seriously how do you do it! I need to know! :p

The correct answer has already been provided. Ex-Bluelighters are simply people who have been banned.

There used to be an automated account cancellation (called 'autobahn') many years ago, but it was disabled due to fail.

The benefits of an ex-bluelighter really aren't that good.

If you need to remove posts, then I suggest you get familiar with the delete button. :)

okay well I guess I better step up my assholeness a notch then

I don't mean to, I just don't wanna be part of this site anymore, especially since I have the same names on other sites :(

this question has been asked - and answered - many times before and is covered in the faq:
bl faq said:
Leaving Bluelight

by Anonymous, johnboy and Catch-22, Infinite Jest

For personal reasons I need to cease all contact with the site and never return. How do I leave Bluelight?

Go to your UserCP and modify your profile to remove all personal details. While changing your profile, choose "No" to receiving all types of email messages. Review your thread subscriptions and be sure to unsubscribe from everything. That way you will not be contacted again about anything relating to Bluelight. Be sure to log out and remove all Bluelight-related bookmarks from your computer. Congratulations, you are no longer a Bluelighter.

No, we will not delete all of your posts. Everyone is free to manually delete or edit their own posts. It is the user's responsibility to take care of their own business. Do not expect the administrators to solve your problems for you.

Again, this is the user's responsibility. No one forced you to register and no one is forcing you to leave.

Our experience has shown that most of these requests come in the middle of some, possibly drug-induced moment of paranoia. If you're worried about what you've posted here, take some time away from the computer. Maybe it will seem like less of a problem the next day.
alasdair

throwing a tantrum to try to get banned is a waste of your time. warnings and infractions eventually trip temporary bans which get incrementally longer as you accumulate points. as such, you'll just spend time on temporary ban during which time you can't continue your tantrum.

please review the information in post #8 on leaving bluelight.

alasdair

You can't do either. You can, however, re-register under a different username and stop using this account.

From the Bluelight FAQ, you know, that thread that says "READ BEFORE POSTING! Seriously":

Can I change my username?

You can't. You will have to create a new username. Sorry.

However, current or ex members of staff in good standing are permitted a discretionary name change.

How do I delete my account & posts?

You can't delete your account. But you can delete your own posts... one at a time. Use the search engine to show all posts created by yourself, open each one, and click the 'edit' button next to each one. The delete option is there, and from that point onwards you'll know what to do. You're awesome enough to be reading this FAQ, so I have every faith in you.

However, your general awesomeness does not extend to deleting posts in closed or archived threads. The board software does not allow users to edit or remove their contributions when a thread is closed or archived. As such, you'll need to PM the forum moderators and ask them to do it. If you've already deleted the bulk of your other posts, the moderators should do this for you - although it remains at their discretion. If you get no joy via this route, feel free to report the posts in question and bring it to the attention of other staff members.

This question is answered in both the FAQ (as seen above), as well as in the Greenlighters Guide.

From the Greenlighters Guide:

Leaving Bluelight

Go to Settings (link in the top menu bar) and modify your profile to remove all personal details. While changing your profile, choose "No" to receiving all types of email messages. Review your thread subscriptions and be sure to unsubscribe from everything. That way you will not be contacted again about anything relating to Bluelight. Be sure to log out and remove all Bluelight-related bookmarks from your computer. Congratulations, you are no longer a Bluelighter.

No, we will not delete all of your posts. Everyone is free to manually delete or edit their own posts. It is the user's responsibility to take care of their own business. Do not expect the administrators to solve your problems for you. (In rare circumstances we will delete posts in closed threads, because you are unable to delete them yourself. But only if those posts are potentially incriminating or dangerous for you. And please, ask nicely; we're doing you a favour).

Our experience has shown that most of these requests come in the middle of some, possibly drug-induced, moment of paranoia. If you're worried about what you've posted here, take some time away from the computer. Maybe it will seem like less of a problem the next day.

account deletion

Can somebody please tell me how to delete my account? I am searching, but havent found any way to do this. thank you.