⫸STICKY⫷ "name changes: a one time perk for a $25 donation" thread

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...-Seriously?p=10404576&viewfull=1#post10404576
How do I delete my account & posts?

You can't delete your account. But you can delete your own posts... one at a time. Use the search engine to show all posts created by yourself, open each one, and click the 'edit' button next to each one. The delete option is there, and from that point onwards you'll know what to do. You're awesome enough to be reading this FAQ, so I have every faith in you.

However, your general awesomeness does not extend to deleting posts in closed or archived threads. The board software does not allow users to edit or remove their contributions when a thread is closed or archived. As such, you'll need to PM the forum moderators and ask them to do it. If you've already deleted the bulk of your other posts, the moderators should do this for you - although it remains at their discretion. If you get no joy via this route, feel free to report the posts in question and bring it to the attention of other staff members.

http://wiki.bluelight.ru/index.php/Greenlighters_guide#Leaving_Bluelight
Leaving Bluelight

For personal reasons I need to cease all contact with the site and never return. How do I leave Bluelight?
Go to Settings (link in the top menu bar) and modify your profile to remove all personal details. While changing your profile, choose "No" to receiving all types of email messages. Review your thread subscriptions and be sure to unsubscribe from everything. That way you will not be contacted again about anything relating to Bluelight. Be sure to log out and remove all Bluelight-related bookmarks from your computer. Congratulations, you are no longer a Bluelighter.
But what about my posts? Can the administrators delete all of my posts for me?
No, we will not delete all of your posts. Everyone is free to manually delete or edit their own posts. It is the user's responsibility to take care of their own business. Do not expect the administrators to solve your problems for you. (In rare circumstances we will delete posts in closed threads, because you are unable to delete them yourself. But only if those posts are potentially incriminating or dangerous for you. And please, ask nicely; we're doing you a favour).
Why won't you delete my account for me?
Again, this is the user's responsibility. No one forced you to register and no one is forcing you to leave.
No, but you don't understand! This is an emergency!
Our experience has shown that most of these requests come in the middle of some, possibly drug-induced, moment of paranoia. If you're worried about what you've posted here, take some time away from the computer. Maybe it will seem like less of a problem the next day.

I kinda want a dash in my name. Maybe I will make a new account.

I am not a mod/admin of course, but I would allow one name change per account (to prevent any abuse). This would be more ideal than being locked- totally. Just my 2 cents.

Then again, eh. I can see how this could possibly create a lot of work- that might be time spent elsewhere. If it were somehow an automatic process...

Last edited:
Delete this account

Hello, would a mod or admin be generous enough to delete this account and all posts made by it? Im in a very serious situation and really need this.

Luckily, you shouldn't find that deleting a whole two posts will take you all that long.

is preference given to those who have been a member of bluelight for several years? how does one become a moderator?

Both of these questions [how do I become a moderator? how do I change my username?] are answered in the FAQ.

It truly sucks that it takes so much effort to ditch Bluelight. I think there is tons of useful information here, it's a valuable resource, but I'm sick of people making you say things I did not say. Of people shutting down threads with one arbitrary click. Leaving you wondering just what you d or were trying to say in the first place.

One time I asked a question and was actually told by a mod to "Go google it"... What's the point of being in a forum if I'm told to go find my own answers?

But I did heed that advice. I always do my own research now and I actually think I'm able to get better answers on my own, ones that are more well rounded, have more complexity. And I don't need to tailor my curiosity to suit the standards of others. It's happened one too many times that I was made to feel that I was saying something pointless or illicit. Pursuing that noble need of this forum to be about "harm reduction," it ignores potentially valuable content. You often get "We can't possibly answer that, there's no point in discussing that!" when yes, maybe there is a relevant discussion there even if there are some caveats.

Anyway, as indicated by the FAQS, I sent a PM to a Mod asking kindly to assist me in deleting some of my posts in threads that are closed or archived.... I did not receive a reply. Let me know if there is an Admin or someone else who can help me. Again, I'm asking nicely.

yea shutting down threads all off a sudden and leaving wanting answers has already pissed me off about this site and ive only registered about 1 hour ago

yea shutting down threads all off a sudden and leaving wanting answers has already pissed me off about this site and ive only registered about 1 hour ago

Bluelight isn't for everyone. There are usually over 2000 people viewing the forum at any given time so there are obviously a lot of people that like the site, and there aren't an overwhelming amount of complaints about the site so we will continue to operate under the current guidelines.

yea shutting down threads all off a sudden...
what on earth are you talking about?

if you feel a thread was closed erroneously, you can report the thread and make a case for its reopening. i note that you have never reported a thread.

alternately, you can send a polite pm to the forum staff and make a case for its reopening. have you done this? what was the response?

if you have not, i can only assume that you're more focused on complaining and disrupting than actually taking steps to solve a 'problem'. in that case, you may find that your time here is limited. :\

bluelight is staffed entirely by volunteers who perform this thankless task for no other reasnn than they believe in the mission of the site (or at very least the forum which they moderate). for the most part, they have regular lives and bluelight is not their first priority.

i notice that you waited a whole 21 minutes between posting your original complaint and then following up with this complaint. do you feel that 20 minutes is a reasonable timeframe within which you should receive an answer?

alasdair

Last edited:
Is there any way to change my username?

I've been on bluelight for a while. I like my account and I'd rather not get rid of my posts. However, my username is pretty recognizable to anyone who knows me, and I'm becoming worried that the wrong person might find my account. If I cant change my username, is there even a way for me to close my account or take my username off of previous posts? I'd really appreciate if an admin could help me out with this so I can protect my privacy!!

Go back and delete your posts that you think are too revealing.

It'll be a blast from the past, yo.

Changing your username...

Is this possible,if so how? I need to change it due to privacy reasons

Hello? Is anyone out there?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only staff members can change their names. You are welcome to abandon your current account and create a new one, however.

i obviously did that before posting. i didn't ask for an account deletion, i asked for a permanent ban from this site.

is that really so hard? would you rather have me posting a bunch of things in violation of the BLUA so that you'll have to ban me based on the accumulated infractions?

Our current policy is that we don't honor requests for permanent bans from this site. The only ways for you to leave this site are the ways mentioned in the first post of this thread.

I think that deleting your posts would be a better way to distance yourself from this site if that's what your intention is. If we were to allow for you to be banned then you can just start a new account, plus all of the posts from your old account would still be here. By deleting all of your old posts then you would probably be achieving more than if you just got banned.

If you really don't want anything to do with this site then just don't log on. There are more extreme measures you can go to such as deleting all of your posts, turning all notifications off, and then having someone change your password for you. I would recommend just not logging on though. If you don't have the willpower to stay away from the site then I doubt that us banning your account will keep you away since you can just start a new account.