• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel tolerance question

kaiba

Bluelighter
My psych has prescribed me low dose seroquel (25 mg to 100 mg) for sleep/insomnia.

According to this article, Seroquel at low doses is not an antipsychotic, it's an antihistamine which causes sedation:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

Recently, I've noticed I don't feel sleepy anymore after taking Seroquel. I think I've developed tolerance.

If I stop taking Seroquel, how many days to reset my tolerance and I feel sleepy again when I take it at night?

The article is correct, at lower doses (think the 25-50, even 25-100mg range), Seroquel behaves mostly like a more sedating diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Tolerance to the anti-histamine sedative effects develops naturally over a few days.

I'm not sure how many days you would need to wait, but I recommend tapering your dosage down slowly before taking a break. What dosage are you taking now for sleep?

The article is correct, at lower doses (think the 25-50, even 25-100mg range), Seroquel behaves mostly like a more sedating diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Tolerance to the anti-histamine sedative effects develops naturally over a few days.

I'm not sure how many days you would need to wait, but I recommend tapering your dosage down slowly before taking a break. What dosage are you taking now for sleep?

I typically take 25 mg to 100 mg for sleep. Recently, I've been taking 100 mg. I don't go over 100 mg.

I have some Ambien to help me sleep.

Is Seroquel a stronger antihistamine (more sedating) than Diphenhydramine/Benadryl?

You can just lay off the seroquel for a couple of days. Lowering your dose will do nothing but waste pills.

Ambien is really weird with antihistamines, it's very strange body high... LOL

If you hit 100 mg and you are still in deep shit, you need a break. Take some ambien a couple of days without any antihistamines at all. Your tolerance will lowers in about a weeks time.

It says on wikipedia that long-term use of low doses of seroquel (it used to say less than 200mg) arnt reccomended. Does anyone know why this is?:
Dosage: At very low doses quetiapine acts primarily as a histamine receptor blocker (antihistamine) and α1-adrenergic blocker. When the dose is increased quetiapine activates the adrenergic system and binds strongly to serotonin receptors and autoreceptors. At high doses quetiapine starts blocking significant amounts of dopamine receptors.[32][33] Use of low-dose quetiapine is not recommended except temporarily during drug titration period (less than 30 days).[34]
anyways Im currently taking 5mg of Zyprexa a night which is equivelent to approx 75mg of Seroquel per night. Im thinking about switching back to Seroquel though because it only has a half-life of 6 hrs so it wont last as long as Zyprexa which has a half life of 30 hrs. Seroquel also peacks at 1.5 hrs where Zyprexa peaks at 6 hrs. So it would be a better option if i dont wanna still be effected during the day.

& yeah Seroquel below around 200mg is just a sedating antihistamine it doesnt black dopamine.

Seroquel is dangerous when it comes to tolerance because of the way it affects histamine receptors.

At very low doses quetiapine acts primarily as a histamine receptor blocker (antihistamine) and α1-adrenergic blocker. When the dose is increased quetiapine activates the adrenergic system and binds strongly to serotonin receptors and autoreceptors. At high doses quetiapine starts blocking significant amounts of dopamine receptors.

You don't want to abuse its anti-histamine properties, for the same reason you shouldn't use benadryl everyday for 30 days.

200mg of seroquel and a couple beers pretty much knocked me out the first time I tried it..and that was a few hours after 60ish mg of dexmethyl..so I'd say anywhere in that range is pretty fuckin high!

You can just lay off the seroquel for a couple of days. Lowering your dose will do nothing but waste pills.

Ambien is really weird with antihistamines, it's very strange body high... LOL

If you hit 100 mg and you are still in deep shit, you need a break. Take some ambien a couple of days without any antihistamines at all. Your tolerance will lowers in about a weeks time.

Typically, I don't take Ambien with Seroquel at the same time. But once in a while, in the past, I've taken them together to help me sleep.

Seroquel is dangerous when it comes to tolerance because of the way it affects histamine receptors.

At very low doses quetiapine acts primarily as a histamine receptor blocker (antihistamine) and α1-adrenergic blocker. When the dose is increased quetiapine activates the adrenergic system and binds strongly to serotonin receptors and autoreceptors. At high doses quetiapine starts blocking significant amounts of dopamine receptors.

You don't want to abuse its anti-histamine properties, for the same reason you shouldn't use benadryl everyday for 30 days.

200mg of seroquel and a couple beers pretty much knocked me out the first time I tried it..and that was a few hours after 60ish mg of dexmethyl..so I'd say anywhere in that range is pretty fuckin high!

but in higher doses it wouldnt stop blocking the same amount of histamine receptors would it?
it would simply also start to black dopamine & serotonin too.

A know ppl who are precribed to take 100mgs a night. When I was first but on Seroquel I was prescribed to take 50mg/night & it wasnt for short term use. I found needed about 200mg though after I adjusted to its effects. Sometimes I would take even 300mg at night.

According to a AP equivelence table, 5mg Zyprexa (which I take every night) is equivelent to 75mg Seroquel but Zyprexa also blocks dopamine at this dose unlike Seroquel.

I wish Zyprexa didnt last so long though. I think it keeps me a little tired throughout the day. Seroquel would be a better option but if it's not recommended to use long-term, i wont swap over. But according to my dr it's safe to take low doses of Seroquel long term

where did u get the information that Seroquel is dangerous when it comes to tolerance because of the way it affects histamine receptors?
Mostthe APs are antihistamines

Last edited:
can anyone help me cuz im sick of being tired throughout the day & there doesnt seem to be another ulternative to zyprexa for me except Seroquel but i wont take it if it's not safe to take long term in doses below 200mg

can anyone help me cuz im sick of being tired throughout the day & there doesnt seem to be another ulternative to zyprexa for me except Seroquel but i wont take it if it's not safe to take long term in doses below 200mg

Why don't you try ambien/zolpidem/stilnox or temazepam?

My psychiatrist has prescribed me Seroquel 25 mg to 100 mg for sleep/insomnia. My psychiatrist has told me that it's OK for me to take it long term.

I take the Seroquel at night and I don't feel tired during the day.

Hey Anon54, are you Aussie? Which state?

There's this person in another forum who has been taking low dose Seroquel (for sleep/insomnia) for 8 years:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152857

Another thread related to Seroquel (sleep/insomnia):

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/is-seroquel-safe-for-sleep-at-25-100mg-night-120391/

Last edited:
im from nsw. u?
ive ad 15 10mg temazepams tognith + 8 2mg valiums. i slightly feel anything so temaze isnt an option. i need atleast 20 to start feeling any sedation. not as strong as 100mg seroquel.
I took 150 seroquel while i was stoned one night & i had to stagger my way to bed.
ya relaxed on benzos so it helps ya lay down relaxed but APs are the only drugs strong enough to actually make me tired
umm yeah dr wont give me benzos no more cuz a 18 months ago i was dr shopping & they did a medicare check & found out. i was only going to 3 sergeries cuz 1 of em would give me 5mg of valium a day, so would the other & the last gave me 0.5mg xanax & 10mg of temaze. so that's equivelent for 4-5 valiums a day. big fucking deal. another dr i went to after that gave me 15mg a day valium so go figure. i mean ya can get k-pins in 2mg of xanax in 2mg (even 3mg time-release) & thats equel to 8 valiums ffs. i could have quit cold turkey but i wanted to keep taking them so i went to a drugs/alc counceller & got weened off. now i cant get benzos at all. but the APs i take fucking worse.
dr shopping isnt ilegal where i ive thank god but ya get black listed from surgerious. they really need to make 40mg diaz pills. they make 2mg clonazepam pills so why not diaz?

Id be happy with a scripy of 2mg/day of klonopin.long acting benzos & ya only need to take 1. not 8 like ya do with valium so it doesnt sound like ya abusing it

Ive tried ambion. fucking crazy i didnt know if i was sleeping or dreaming i dont have much recollection of the experience. i woke up the next day with cigeratte butts laying everywhere outside. & couldnt rmeber if what i was diong at home the night before was a dream or if thats what i was going. it's a very trippy drug & it didnt calm me down. its more for sleeping. i got sleeping shit. i wasnt anti-anxiety. & it kinda gave me psychodelic/delerium experience.

a very weird drug. & it still kept me awake i just didnt know wtf i was doing im not touching that shit.
hmm well i must admist i did take a few more than what i was precribed.

i still dont have my Q answers. i wanna switch to seroquel because of its short half-life but since i only wanna take whats consiterd as low doses. (beacuse even 150mg gets me straight to bed) but i just wanna know if its safe. wikipedia doesnt reccomend it.

someone said its because it a anthistamine & its not good to take them long-term. yet i find it hard to beleove that once u dose the safe levels for long term (200mg+) it lessons its antihistamine effect at the same time (which is supposingly not reccomended)

any other long term seroquel uses who take less than 200mg a night? i cant beleive its consitered a low dose cuz it would put most ppl on there ass way more than 100mg of temaze would

Last edited:
I took 400mg of serequel when I was younger, then switched to 300 at age13, but I've been taking high doses too for 13 years. Now at 20 the effects of 300 my sequel just don't put me to sleep anymore.