• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Studies on Opiates for Anxiety/Depression - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

befitnessnow

Greenlighter
My Psych is willing to try controlled use of opiates for an Anxiety disorder which no other medication has been able to touch. I've abstained from opiates for over 2 years so this is a very conscious decision. However, he asked me to print out as many studies and literature on Opiates in the use of Anxiety and/or Depression for him (just as an extra measure), so if you know of any link to ANY study in relation to this, I would great appreciate it. The only ones I have so far are...

hxxp://www.naabt.org/documents/The_Buprenorphine_Effect_on_Depression.pdf

and

hxxp://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=173886

I forgot if hyperlinks were allowed so I x'd out the http in the links.

If you know of any studies done like this, I would truly appreciate any links that could be added.

I don't know where you live, but isn't this illegal? Where I live, a doctor would certainly lose his license to prescribe CNS active medications if he got caught prescribing opioids for a psychological disorder...

Also, your psych should be doing their own research :|

Hyperlinks to studies are allowed, yes. I'll take a look later, but this sounds pretty dodgy to me..

Whoa, didn't expect that.

I live in Oregon and go to OHSU, a prominent hospital. They have one Psychiatrist there which has loads of people on Morphine every 2-3 days, daily Hydrocodone and Oxycodone, even Hydromorphone and the most subtle one, Tramadol. I've had two appointments with him and know this for a fact. My psychiatrist whom has never prescribed opiates unless it was for physical pain in a few times in his other clinic, referred me to him, as he (my Psych) has never prescribed an opiate for any mental ailment and wasn't comfortable at the time with it.

I've been seeing the same Psych for over 2 years now and there's enough trust in that patient/doctor relationship that he even prescribed Desoxyn just because I asked which I discontinued because it did not help me at all. Because he knows that I know what I'm doing/researching and we have appointments every week and I have no desire to abuse meds, there aren't many limitations as far as drugs he will prescribe. He said he's willing to work towards trying Opiates but we have to obviously use a few other meds first to cover himself but it is absolutely legal! He said, for a fact, if it can be proven that nothing else has had any affect on the condition and all other lines of medications have been tried that it is not much of a concern. I don't know how this notion that Psych's prescribing Opiates = DEA revoking there license automatically. Obviously it is VERY limited but it happens.

As for the research, he just asked if I could bring what I personally could find. Obviously he does his part, he just knows I'm more internet savvy and anything extra to put in my file helps. He is the head of the Psych department and my Uncle is the President of the Hospital, whom I have discussed this stuff with. If prescribing Opiates for mental ailments was absolutely off limits, I would know (as far as Oregon is concerned anyways).

I did not mean to post anything dodgy, I thought it was a normal post and was just looking for some help.

^ I didn't mean your post was dodgy! :) Just a psychiatrist asking a patient to do the research is a little unusual.

Thank you for providing more info. I'll see what I can dig up for you!

^ I didn't mean your post was dodgy! :) Just a psychiatrist asking a patient to do the research is a little unusual.

Thank you for providing more info. I'll see what I can dig up for you!

My mistake, I probably should have explained that part more thoroughly, as I do understand how it comes across. He is a very thorough Psych though, highly educated and always weighs the pro's and con's with me before prescribing anything. I've just developed a good bond over the last few years, so there's a lot of trust.

Thank you for seeing if there's anything that you can dig up, I appreciate it!

I don't know about literature, but from personal experience nothing will cure my blues like a particular little blue pill.

2 months later? I'm something of a slave to that pill and nothing is cheery.

Tread with caution, my friend. You said you've been off opiates for 2+ years, and also that Tramadol is being used. It's quite possible the SNRI effects of it are what's helping those that take it. Everyone is different however, and to an extent I envy you if this works. It works for me due my chronic pain issues, but due to my age I'm not taken seriously and given a bunch of useless crap instead.

Best of luck!

So far no joy, sorry, but not done an extensive search yet. I will report back. I agree with PJ though - tread carefully, an out of control opioid addiction isn't going to help matters! It sounds like you have a good psychiatrist though, which is really important.

Your psyche should already know all this information, including how the opiate will work on the brain and the MU opiod receptors. Opiates work great for anxiety and depression, but so do many other drugs. This prescription would take you no where bro, your going to use the opiate as a crutch and slowly by slowly your going to be dependent on them. I don't see how you will get anything positive out of this, unless you plan on staying on them for the rest of your life heh.

Doctors should have access to these studies, hell even more studies than you. This seems weird to me...

A psych who is qualified to dispense suboxone can do so under the right pretense but not any other opiate... As long as somewhere in your records it states you are seeking treatment for opiate addiction, you should be in the clear.

The real reason you are getting it can be left out of the picture altogether... and is highly advisable. Your doc is treading in undocumented unregulated land. It is a small patch, but it is there. And you should be careful taking advantage of it.

But, if you do choose to go about the "Grey Zone" please be very noteworthy for all of us who hope and prey this becomes a mainstream treatment.

I think opiates that are agonist/antagonist are the perfect candidates for such treatment.

But, the one we do use has a target sitting in the dark trying to hit the bullseye...

Your psyche should already know all this information, including how the opiate will work on the brain and the MU opiod receptors. Opiates work great for anxiety and depression, but so do many other drugs. This prescription would take you no where bro, your going to use the opiate as a crutch and slowly by slowly your going to be dependent on them. I don't see how you will get anything positive out of this, unless you plan on staying on them for the rest of your life heh.

I suppose I could provide some background...

I self-medicated with Opiates for 3 years. Primarily Hydrocodone and Morphine (although I've used Hydro/oxymorphone, Oxycodone and Tramadol (I know it's only a partial). Hydrocodone and Morphine were just what I found most therapeutic. Whether it makes sense or not, I found them equally potent as well and the Morphine more subtle. I never developed a tolerance until the end of that third year, which is when I quit taking them.

Before that I had tried...

3 SSRI's - Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline
2 SNRI's - Duloxetine, Venlafaxine
1 NDRI - Buproprion
Mirtazapine (I can't recall which class it falls under)

And Benzo's??

Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonzaepam, Restoril (only at night of course), Alprazolam, even the old school Chlordiazepoxide.

So then my self-medicating began. And then it ended roughly 3 years later.

I first started seeing my current Psych a few months after the cessation of Opiate use but I didn't quit Opiates because I ever stole, hurt or did anything harmful to anyone to get them, I quit because I was tired of the self-medicating game.

In the two years I have been seeing my Psych, after there was some trust established, we ventured in ADD medications since my whole life my family and I have thought I had ADD/PI and that a lot of my anxiety symptoms could be caused from that and never treating it directly. So I tried Adderall (both instant and XR), Dexedrine & Desoxyn. For it's reputation, Desoxyn was actually the most subtle and you really have to want to get stuff done when on it since it is (essentially) pure D-Amp but an additional methyl group making it more potent than Dexedrine. Although, some would say Dexedrine was more "potent" since there is a bit more PNS stimulation with it. And I know for a fact a lot of people would find Adderall more "potent" because of it's 25% PNS stimulation. I guess it just depends on how you determine potency. Anyways, the Amphetamines helped for awhile but ultimately, I didn't feel that the pro's of using an Amphetamine long term outweighed the con's.

One of my closest friends landed in Rehab for a spiraling Heroin addiction, I've known people who have died from OxyContin OD's. I understand the danger of Opiates in terms of addiction and slow destruction of life. I am not delusional and I do not lack self-control. If anything, these last few years has taught me more about self-control then I ever imagined I could attain. I could easily get into a pain clinic and start self-medicating again but I told myself the only way I was going to use Opiates again is if it was monitored by my Doctor and we kept weekly appointments and documented everything precisely. I do not think I am naive for wanting to tried controlled use of Opiates for my condition, in fact, I think it is very realistic... For me! Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. If I have a shot at trying it though, I have thought about it very much and will take that shot.

I've been working on DBT for the last 6 months as well and am starting a 6 month course of EBT next month. I constantly practice breathing techniques, especially diaphragmatic breathing, to help when Anxiety levels rise. I strength train 5 days a week and have been into weight training/bodybuilding for 5 years now. Yoga & Meditation I truly try my best to advance in. There's a martial arts school near me which also teaches these classes, along with Tai Chi, which is amazing. Point being, I know that it is not just up to the drugs to help change things.

I'm all about healthy body/healthy mind! I know my decision to try Opiate therapy may seem odd to some or maybe a hopeless attempt at masking my Anxiety but all meds are a mask and we try to work through our real problems while wearing that mask, so we can slowly take it off. I just haven't found any other medications that touch my own issues the way Opiates do. I feel like for a lot of people the only reason they use drugs, whether prescribed or not, is because they have become so detached from the world (due to a plethora of reasons) and are seeking a way to become more in tune with it. If that makes sense. Obviously exogenous Endorphins will propel "happiness" at a faster rate than normal but so do most drugs, whether it's Endorphins, Serotonin, Norep or Dopamine. My only goal is to find the lowest Opiate dose possible and see if it works well over time without needing to increase the dosage.

I don't know where you live, but isn't this illegal? Where I live, a doctor would certainly lose his license to prescribe CNS active medications if he got caught prescribing opioids for a psychological disorder...

Adderall is a CNS stimulant prescribed all the time for a psychological disorder

EDIT: misread your text, got what you mean now ;)

Having a psych doc rx'ing any opioid looks sketchy, but mine wrote me a script for tramadol once, but for "headaches". However, actually rx'ing an opiate for mental health is extremely risky, and I think technically illegal. I am not saying he is wrong for doing so, because frankly I think opioids have a place in psychiatry, but it is ballsy. Opiates relieve depression and anxiety amazingly, much better than benzos IMO.

If your psych actually goes through with it, im happy for you. I would love if i could get scripted opiates for depression/anxiety, i know they work wonders.

If your psych actually goes through with it, im happy for you. I would love if i could get scripted opiates for depression/anxiety, i know they work wonders.

If it does indeed happen, I will start a blog (unless there's an appropriate forum) to monitor how it is going, the up's and down's... Everything. I feel like keeping a timeline of a controlled use of an Opiate for a mental ailment could be an interesting read for some and a nice place (outside of my doctors) to keep track of everything.

Regardless of the response, thank you to anybody that took the time to read this. I appreciate it. I've still been looking and those 2 initial links are the only studies I can find.

hxxp://opioids.com/ has a ton of great information but all of the "studies" are abstract, unfortunately.

The front page is a very interesting read though for anybody whom has never read it which is the same as the link above, hxxp://opioids.com/

^ Use the BL Blog function :)

Still not had time to have a thorough search I'm afraid but I'm not sure I'm going to turn up anything your psychiatrist won't have found.

This is a controversial issue and obviously there are big drawbacks to using opioids in this way, but it sounds like you have thought hard about this and discussed it thoroughly with your psychiatrist, so i am not going to judge :)

As long as you are fully aware of the risks of addiction - and it sounds like you are - you are an adult and capable of making an informed choice, and your psychiatrist sounds like a good one going by your posts. I would be interested to hear how this goes as well..

I don't know about literature, but from personal experience nothing will cure my blues like a particular little blue pill.

2 months later? I'm something of a slave to that pill and nothing is cheery.

Tread with caution, my friend. You said you've been off opiates for 2+ years, and also that Tramadol is being used. It's quite possible the SNRI effects of it are what's helping those that take it. Everyone is different however, and to an extent I envy you if this works. It works for me due my chronic pain issues, but due to my age I'm not taken seriously and given a bunch of useless crap instead.

Best of luck!

You say people turn into slaves for the opiate pills after a certain time of use & that could be true but there is always 2 sides of the door. What about being a slave to chronic depression & strong anxiety? I would rather be a slave to a pill that makes me feel good & forgets my anxiety & depression. Why be a slave to something you dont enjoy or like when you can be a slave to something that makes you feel good...............jmo!

Having a psych doc rx'ing any opioid looks sketchy, but mine wrote me a script for tramadol once, but for "headaches". However, actually rx'ing an opiate for mental health is extremely risky, and I think technically illegal. I am not saying he is wrong for doing so, because frankly I think opioids have a place in psychiatry, but it is ballsy. Opiates relieve depression and anxiety amazingly, much better than benzos IMO.

I wish more doctors were rebels like the OP's & did prescribe opiates for depression & anxiety. Doctors like the OP's are pioneers to the new age of providing opiates for something that use to be given decades ago for the same reasons.

You say people turn into slaves for the opiate pills after a certain time of use & that could be true but there is always 2 sides of the door. What about being a slave to chronic depression & strong anxiety? I would rather be a slave to a pill that makes me feel good & forgets my anxiety & depression. Why be a slave to something you dont enjoy or like when you can be a slave to something that makes you feel good...............jmo!

Slavery begins when one loses grasp of freedom and ability. This can mean different things to different people. I do agree - I'd rather use opiates, but my wallet disagrees and due to my age I'm looked at as a drug-seeker by doctors, instead of as a legitimate pain patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.