• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Studies on Opiates for Anxiety/Depression - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it works out for you. Mine won't even give me anything but anti-depressants because he knows that I use the dangerous highly addictive drug that is marijuana.
rolleyes.gif

I don't know where you live, but isn't this illegal? Where I live, a doctor would certainly lose his license to prescribe CNS active medications if he got caught prescribing opioids for a psychological disorder...

I live in the same area as the OP and no, this is certainly not illegal here. If doctors have privileges to prescribe medications, they can do so off-label whether they are controlled or not. Furthermore, off-label prescribing accounts for a substantial amount of all prescriptions written as oftentimes official (FDA) approval for indications takes a long time and seeing as it's unnecessary to a doctor writing the script, there often isn't incentive for the companies to go through this lengthy process if the uses are well known. Pharmaceutical companies can get into a lot of trouble if they advertise for off-label uses (see the case of Elly Lillie and zyprexa for more information) but if doctors are aware of what a medication does and what it can be used for, that's irrelevant.

With that said, this is still a taboo subject and may draw attention from employers, professional associations or as mentioned, law enforcement however unless this is a common practice and the doctor is writing big scripts for narcotics frequently for indications other than pain, it's unlikely to be noticed.

OP, you're going to receive limited benefits from ANY chemical treatment whether it is approved officially for these indications or not. You likely aren't experiencing these symptoms due to opioid (endorphin) deficiency so all opioids will do is mask the symptoms temporarily and either you'll have to keep upping your dose or they'll stop working rather quickly. There ARE reasons why you are feeling the way you are and unless you get to the bottom of what those are and find sustainable ways to address them, unfortunately I suspect you'll be disappointed with ANY pharmaceutical you try.

I had an accident last year and ended up with uncontrolled anxiety. It was so bad I had to leave my wife. I was losing weight because I couldn't sleep. It took me a full day (as many hours as I could keep from passing out plus weekends) to keep up with work. I was very fortunate to work for someone that has been flexible enough to let me work this way. I've been to half a dozen doctors, psychiatrists and I have been seeing a therapist.

Nothing helped. Benzos would take the edge off enough to tolerate being conscious, but were making me too sluggish to concentrate on anything. SSRIs made the anxiety worse initially and then had little effect.

Last December, a friend gave me Kratom to try. Kratom is a leaf that is crushed and can be consumed with a glass of water or put in capsules that has opiate like effects. It worked. For the first time in 6 months, I felt normal. Kratom is currently legal in all but a few states. It is inexpensive and can be purchased from a number of sites on line. I've been using it now for 8 months. I use 3 grams twice a day, one in the morning and once around 2pm. I have been able to move home with my wife and can generally keep up with work and life. As is typically the case in the US, there are groups that are trying to outlaw Kratom. If this happens, I will have to work with my psychiatrist to replace the Kratom with something else. The only thing that will probably work is some kind of opiate.

In any case, for anyone suffering from severe anxiety, you may want to try Kratom. The particular strain I use is from Bali. It is most common and least expensive. It cost me about $40/month to use. Do your research before trying anything. Perhaps consult your doctor. For me this has literally save my life.

I had an accident last year and ended up with uncontrolled anxiety. It was so bad I had to leave my wife. I was losing weight because I couldn't sleep. It took me a full day (as many hours as I could keep from passing out plus weekends) to keep up with work. I was very fortunate to work for someone that has been flexible enough to let me work this way. I've been to half a dozen doctors, psychiatrists and I have been seeing a therapist.

Nothing helped. Benzos would take the edge off enough to tolerate being conscious, but were making me too sluggish to concentrate on anything. SSRIs made the anxiety worse initially and then had little effect.

Last December, a friend gave me Kratom to try. Kratom is a leaf that is crushed and can be consumed with a glass of water or put in capsules that has opiate like effects. It worked. For the first time in 6 months, I felt normal. Kratom is currently legal in all but a few states. It is inexpensive and can be purchased from a number of sites on line. I've been using it now for 8 months. I use 3 grams twice a day, one in the morning and once around 2pm. I have been able to move home with my wife and can generally keep up with work and life. As is typically the case in the US, there are groups that are trying to outlaw Kratom. If this happens, I will have to work with my psychiatrist to replace the Kratom with something else. The only thing that will probably work is some kind of opiate.

In any case, for anyone suffering from severe anxiety, you may want to try Kratom. The particular strain I use is from Bali. It is most common and least expensive. It cost me about $40/month to use. Do your research before trying anything. Perhaps consult your doctor. For me this has literally save my life.

Sorry to hear about your troubles & its good to hear that Kratom had worked for you because SSRI's are a complete joke & so are most psychiatrists........

We get better information off these forums than what most psychiatrists can give & just because someone has a degree hanging on their wall, doesn't mean jack in my world.......it means they spent lots of money for that piece of paper hanging on the wall.

My opinion is stay far away from psychiatrists & find something that works for you as you did.

I know some people will disagree with me& they have a right to their opinion.

Opiates/Opiods if taken moderately & under control is the better therapy over benzos & definitely better than any SSRI.........

I totally support your choice

I suppose I could provide some background...

I self-medicated with Opiates for 3 years. Primarily Hydrocodone and Morphine (although I've used Hydro/oxymorphone, Oxycodone and Tramadol (I know it's only a partial). Hydrocodone and Morphine were just what I found most therapeutic. Whether it makes sense or not, I found them equally potent as well and the Morphine more subtle. I never developed a tolerance until the end of that third year, which is when I quit taking them.

Before that I had tried...

3 SSRI's - Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline
2 SNRI's - Duloxetine, Venlafaxine
1 NDRI - Buproprion
Mirtazapine (I can't recall which class it falls under)

And Benzo's??

Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonzaepam, Restoril (only at night of course), Alprazolam, even the old school Chlordiazepoxide.

So then my self-medicating began. And then it ended roughly 3 years later.

I first started seeing my current Psych a few months after the cessation of Opiate use but I didn't quit Opiates because I ever stole, hurt or did anything harmful to anyone to get them, I quit because I was tired of the self-medicating game.

In the two years I have been seeing my Psych, after there was some trust established, we ventured in ADD medications since my whole life my family and I have thought I had ADD/PI and that a lot of my anxiety symptoms could be caused from that and never treating it directly. So I tried Adderall (both instant and XR), Dexedrine & Desoxyn. For it's reputation, Desoxyn was actually the most subtle and you really have to want to get stuff done when on it since it is (essentially) pure D-Amp but an additional methyl group making it more potent than Dexedrine. Although, some would say Dexedrine was more "potent" since there is a bit more PNS stimulation with it. And I know for a fact a lot of people would find Adderall more "potent" because of it's 25% PNS stimulation. I guess it just depends on how you determine potency. Anyways, the Amphetamines helped for awhile but ultimately, I didn't feel that the pro's of using an Amphetamine long term outweighed the con's.

One of my closest friends landed in Rehab for a spiraling Heroin addiction, I've known people who have died from OxyContin OD's. I understand the danger of Opiates in terms of addiction and slow destruction of life. I am not delusional and I do not lack self-control. If anything, these last few years has taught me more about self-control then I ever imagined I could attain. I could easily get into a pain clinic and start self-medicating again but I told myself the only way I was going to use Opiates again is if it was monitored by my Doctor and we kept weekly appointments and documented everything precisely. I do not think I am naive for wanting to tried controlled use of Opiates for my condition, in fact, I think it is very realistic... For me! Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. If I have a shot at trying it though, I have thought about it very much and will take that shot.

I've been working on DBT for the last 6 months as well and am starting a 6 month course of EBT next month. I constantly practice breathing techniques, especially diaphragmatic breathing, to help when Anxiety levels rise. I strength train 5 days a week and have been into weight training/bodybuilding for 5 years now. Yoga & Meditation I truly try my best to advance in. There's a martial arts school near me which also teaches these classes, along with Tai Chi, which is amazing. Point being, I know that it is not just up to the drugs to help change things.

I'm all about healthy body/healthy mind! I know my decision to try Opiate therapy may seem odd to some or maybe a hopeless attempt at masking my Anxiety but all meds are a mask and we try to work through our real problems while wearing that mask, so we can slowly take it off. I just haven't found any other medications that touch my own issues the way Opiates do. I feel like for a lot of people the only reason they use drugs, whether prescribed or not, is because they have become so detached from the world (due to a plethora of reasons) and are seeking a way to become more in tune with it. If that makes sense. Obviously exogenous Endorphins will propel "happiness" at a faster rate than normal but so do most drugs, whether it's Endorphins, Serotonin, Norep or Dopamine. My only goal is to find the lowest Opiate dose possible and see if it works well over time without needing to increase the dosage.

Hi there,

I see that you are having loads of negative reaction to your idea of using opiates to relieve depression. People just seem to be bleating out what they read in the media. What they don't seem to have experienced it the excruciating pain of long term depression and anxiety.....and then had this totally relived by an opiate. It makes one question what Big Pharma are actually up to with ineffective classes of antidepressants.

I am just one step further than yourself with regard treating my Bipolar Disorder with opiates. I am actually doing it. I still use other medication as a base but will wean off them if I find that I don't develop tolerance and dose escalation over time.

I have been on the traditional meds for 20 years and stumbled across the opiates only last year. Like yours, my doctor trusts my insight, intelligence and intuition. I asked him for an opiate for an old rugby injury that flared up after a gym session. I wanted to use an opiate out of curiosity for their effectiveness on pain.

He prescribed me OxyNorm (which regular release oxycodone here in South Africa). About 90 min after taking 10 mg of OxyNorm I was completely pain free, but for the first time in my life I was depression and anxiety free. I felt incredible. My mood was elevated and I experienced some euphoria as I was newbie to opiates. I was absolutely amazed and overjoyed that SOMETHING had given relief for the first ever. My next dose was 5 hours later and I took another 10mg. This just seemed to maintain the effect of the first dose.

I used the OxyNorm for 5 days and during that time I was completely free of all mental anguish and physical pain that also stemmed from it. A few days later I went see my doctor again and told him about the effect of the Oxycodone. He agreed that it was a highly effect antidepressant and it and its analogues were underutilized in psychiatry. I asked if I could continue using Oxycodone for my depression. He gave me all the pros and cons and ultimately let me decide. He said that if he was going to prescribe an opiate he was more comfortable with morphine.

So to cut a long story short I have been using morphine twice daily for past 4 months without a dose escalation. I AM COMPLETELY DEPRESSION & ANXIETY FREE.

I feel if opiates give you the relief you feel you want then go ahead and use them. We have one life and to spend it in misery and pain is absolutely pointless. I believe we must do what we can do to find peace and happiness in our lives. If that involves taking a drug them so be it. Forget all the judgements and opinion from the armchair experts and do what you need to do.

Hi there,

I see that you are having loads of negative reaction to your idea of using opiates to relieve depression. People just seem to be bleating out what they read in the media. What they don't seem to have experienced it the excruciating pain of long term depression and anxiety.....and then had this totally relived by an opiate. It makes one question what Big Pharma are actually up to with ineffective classes of antidepressants.

I am just one step further than yourself with regard treating my Bipolar Disorder with opiates. I am actually doing it. I still use other medication as a base but will wean off them if I find that I don't develop tolerance and dose escalation over time.

I have been on the traditional meds for 20 years and stumbled across the opiates only last year. Like yours, my doctor trusts my insight, intelligence and intuition. I asked him for an opiate for an old rugby injury that flared up after a gym session. I wanted to use an opiate out of curiosity for their effectiveness on pain.

He prescribed me OxyNorm (which regular release oxycodone here in South Africa). About 90 min after taking 10 mg of OxyNorm I was completely pain free, but for the first time in my life I was depression and anxiety free. I felt incredible. My mood was elevated and I experienced some euphoria as I was newbie to opiates. I was absolutely amazed and overjoyed that SOMETHING had given relief for the first ever. My next dose was 5 hours later and I took another 10mg. This just seemed to maintain the effect of the first dose.

I used the OxyNorm for 5 days and during that time I was completely free of all mental anguish and physical pain that also stemmed from it. A few days later I went see my doctor again and told him about the effect of the Oxycodone. He agreed that it was a highly effect antidepressant and it and its analogues were underutilized in psychiatry. I asked if I could continue using Oxycodone for my depression. He gave me all the pros and cons and ultimately let me decide. He said that if he was going to prescribe an opiate he was more comfortable with morphine.

So to cut a long story short I have been using morphine twice daily for past 4 months without a dose escalation. I AM COMPLETELY DEPRESSION & ANXIETY FREE.

I feel if opiates give you the relief you feel you want then go ahead and use them. We have one life and to spend it in misery and pain is absolutely pointless. I believe we must do what we can do to find peace and happiness in our lives. If that involves taking a drug them so be it. Forget all the judgements and opinion from the armchair experts and do what you need to do.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been put on many psych meds for PTSD anxiety and depression none have worked the only thing that works for me is taking my prescribed pain medication and my prescribed Klonopin those two have change my life for the better unfortunately there are consequences to both drugs.

Thinking about opioid therapy...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been put on many psych meds for PTSD anxiety and depression none have worked the only thing that works for me is taking my prescribed pain medication and my prescribed Klonopin those two have change my life for the better unfortunately there are consequences to both drugs.

Thank you both for your wisdom and sharing! I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread today! My psych doc and I were just having this conversation this morning. He is awesome, open-minded, and has been on a 5 year long journey with me to help my crippling anxiety and depression. I had knee surgery a few weeks ago and was remarking to him how “normal” I felt on a low dose of oxycodone and hydrocodone. Not high, just normal, and functioning, like I think life should be (and that I have a right to). It should be noted that this was not my first rodeo with pain meds; I’ve had 3-4 orthopedic operations in last 8 years, always prescribed opiates with no problem with abuse or addiction. And I have taken them for up to a month before with no withdrawal.

I have “enjoyed” them before for pain elimination and reduction and, like many people, joke about the “fun” part of them, too. However, these past couples of years have been particularly rough and I have been on a search for anything that will help. I went in to this pre-scheduled appointment just to chat, and the subject turned to the subject that my mood had been better lately while on 5-20 mg hydrocodone a day (actually decreasing as the physical pain as abated).

And, to my great surprise, he asked if I want to try a low dose of opiates to treat my depression. I, like most people here, apparently, thought this would be “dodgy”…or get his license yanked, or something. I never even thought to ask him, really! But he (1) trusts me (2) thinks most of his colleagues (and the FDA and DEA) are morons and followers (not to mention pharmaceutical companies) and (3) thinks that whatever will help, without killing the patient or doing harm, then he wants to help.

So… my question to those of you on opiate treatment for psych problems, or whoever wants to weigh in, please share your experiences, both positive and negative. Please be respectful; I know this is not typical but neither is my brain chemistry. I (with this doc) have tried just about every benzo, SSRI, SNRI, and beta-blocker out there. I just want to feel normal, and this is as close as I've been in a very long time. My doc and I are going to come up with a plan next week if I decide to go with it. He has pretty strict parameters to ensure safety and efficacy (not something he usually does but after 30 years of prescribing ineffective crap he knows different things work for different people). I am wondering if I should ask for hydrocodone or oxycodone (as the latter feels a little better for me, mentally and emotionally, but again, I don't want to be chasing a high, just normalcy). Thank you in advance!

I suppose I could provide some background...

I self-medicated with Opiates for 3 years. Primarily Hydrocodone and Morphine (although I've used Hydro/oxymorphone, Oxycodone and Tramadol (I know it's only a partial). Hydrocodone and Morphine were just what I found most therapeutic. Whether it makes sense or not, I found them equally potent as well and the Morphine more subtle. I never developed a tolerance until the end of that third year, which is when I quit taking them.

Before that I had tried...

3 SSRI's - Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline
2 SNRI's - Duloxetine, Venlafaxine
1 NDRI - Buproprion
Mirtazapine (I can't recall which class it falls under)

And Benzo's??

Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonzaepam, Restoril (only at night of course), Alprazolam, even the old school Chlordiazepoxide.

So then my self-medicating began. And then it ended roughly 3 years later.

I first started seeing my current Psych a few months after the cessation of Opiate use but I didn't quit Opiates because I ever stole, hurt or did anything harmful to anyone to get them, I quit because I was tired of the self-medicating game.

In the two years I have been seeing my Psych, after there was some trust established, we ventured in ADD medications since my whole life my family and I have thought I had ADD/PI and that a lot of my anxiety symptoms could be caused from that and never treating it directly. So I tried Adderall (both instant and XR), Dexedrine & Desoxyn. For it's reputation, Desoxyn was actually the most subtle and you really have to want to get stuff done when on it since it is (essentially) pure D-Amp but an additional methyl group making it more potent than Dexedrine. Although, some would say Dexedrine was more "potent" since there is a bit more PNS stimulation with it. And I know for a fact a lot of people would find Adderall more "potent" because of it's 25% PNS stimulation. I guess it just depends on how you determine potency. Anyways, the Amphetamines helped for awhile but ultimately, I didn't feel that the pro's of using an Amphetamine long term outweighed the con's.

One of my closest friends landed in Rehab for a spiraling Heroin addiction, I've known people who have died from OxyContin OD's. I understand the danger of Opiates in terms of addiction and slow destruction of life. I am not delusional and I do not lack self-control. If anything, these last few years has taught me more about self-control then I ever imagined I could attain. I could easily get into a pain clinic and start self-medicating again but I told myself the only way I was going to use Opiates again is if it was monitored by my Doctor and we kept weekly appointments and documented everything precisely. I do not think I am naive for wanting to tried controlled use of Opiates for my condition, in fact, I think it is very realistic... For me! Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. If I have a shot at trying it though, I have thought about it very much and will take that shot.

I've been working on DBT for the last 6 months as well and am starting a 6 month course of EBT next month. I constantly practice breathing techniques, especially diaphragmatic breathing, to help when Anxiety levels rise. I strength train 5 days a week and have been into weight training/bodybuilding for 5 years now. Yoga & Meditation I truly try my best to advance in. There's a martial arts school near me which also teaches these classes, along with Tai Chi, which is amazing. Point being, I know that it is not just up to the drugs to help change things.

I'm all about healthy body/healthy mind! I know my decision to try Opiate therapy may seem odd to some or maybe a hopeless attempt at masking my Anxiety but all meds are a mask and we try to work through our real problems while wearing that mask, so we can slowly take it off. I just haven't found any other medications that touch my own issues the way Opiates do. I feel like for a lot of people the only reason they use drugs, whether prescribed or not, is because they have become so detached from the world (due to a plethora of reasons) and are seeking a way to become more in tune with it. If that makes sense. Obviously exogenous Endorphins will propel "happiness" at a faster rate than normal but so do most drugs, whether it's Endorphins, Serotonin, Norep or Dopamine. My only goal is to find the lowest Opiate dose possible and see if it works well over time without needing to increase the dosage.

I respect and appreciate the very insightful post. I agree with a lot of what you have to say but the one thing that you had not considered is some of the very deep and harmful trauma that people have suffered. Which you may have suffered yourself that I don't know but I know for me I have tried everything and the only thing that has helped me with my severe PTSD anxiety anger issues suicidal and homicidal ideation has been my prescribed opiates.

It is not something that I want to stay on as I'm trying to avoid becoming an addict but there is no doubt in my mind that opiates do cure or help depression and I've tried every other option including all of the ones that you have mentioned but there are certain things that you cannot escape . Maybe I'm a little different as I was in the military and have seen a lot of things done a lot of things many others haven't but I wish it was as easy As healthy body healthy mind.

In my experience with prescribed pain meds, I would go with the Oxy if possible. The Hydro To me gave me a slight hyper aniexty type of a feeling.

Yes, thanks. Hydro does give me a jittery feeling, but I think Oxy may be too strong or tempting to overuse (not abuse, just more than the low dose we're planning) ... if that makes sense. I want to be as mindful and creative as possible, and still have it be effective, but hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls.

Man in the Dark, I appreciate your perspective and am glad you have found something that works for you, or at least takes the edge off when needed. I don't think it matters what it is as long as it helps you find some peace and relief. And, I don't know if it means anything, but I deeply appreciate your service and hope things get better.

Cant edit on mobile - Just want to add that i hope u dont mean treat those by becoming dependant of them that eoukd be dumb just as needed.when im on opiates i can tell for sure my anxiety is increased and sometimes have normal panic attacks of opiates because of how much they increase anxiety

Hi there,

An amazing first post. My experiences are the same. I've gone on Oxycodone for polyneuropathy and have finally gotten relief from lifelong depression as a side effect. Although to be honest in the past I've used Kratom for depression relief but didn't use it on a regular basis out of fear of addiction. Now I have no choice but addiction.

Hi there,

An amazing first post. My experiences are the same. I've gone on Oxycodone for polyneuropathy and have finally gotten relief from lifelong depression as a side effect. Although to be honest in the past I've used Kratom for depression relief but didn't use it on a regular basis out of fear of addiction. Now I have no choice but addiction.
U cant be on opiates for ever it only temperarily relieves it but it will be worse in the fututre also the withdrawal symptoms u will face will make u wish u never got dependant ur doctor is an idiot. Weed is much better for the 2 without hellish withdrawal symptoms

Necrothread, but I recently saw that there is a full-on trial now in Phase II or III that is investigating low-dose buprenorphine for depression. I'm posting from mobile now but can post a source if anyone wants.

Here's a spoiler: I've already done plenty of studies in my private laboratory and can confirm low dose bupe is VERY efficacious for both depression and anxiety. Yes, I was wearing a lab coat at the time.

^pretty sure even if it did help it would be worse when u stopped taking them. And i dont believe at all that it helps anxiety, iv come to expect a little anxiety on certain opiates. That to me is like using opiates for naseua

^pretty sure even if it did help it would be worse when u stopped taking them. And i dont believe at all that it helps anxiety, iv come to expect a little anxiety on certain opiates. That to me is like using opiates for naseua

Did you ever consider, in your meager 16 years of life experience, that some people might be willing to suffer worse symptoms later in order to alleviate their depression now?

And I love how you simply hand-wave the anxiety part and compare it to "taking opiates for naseua (sic)". Just because you feel anxiety on opioids, doesn't mean anyone else does. I'd care about your opinion if I didn't know that you're a teenager, barely old enough to drive, with about 1/30th my experience.

Did you ever consider, in your meager 16 years of life experience, that some people might be willing to suffer worse symptoms later in order to alleviate their depression now?

And I love how you simply hand-wave the anxiety part and compare it to "taking opiates for naseua (sic)". Just because you feel anxiety on opioids, doesn't mean anyone else does. I'd care about your opinion if I didn't know that you're a teenager, barely old enough to drive, with about 1/30th my experience.
Feeling high and mighty behind your keyboard? Lol it doesnt take a life times experiance to know basic education on opiates and drugs, and what does driving have to do with drugs at all? Seems like ur just talking shit for no reason

This is the main reason I don't mind headaches so much. I get 'patches' of headaches for which I use prescribed cocodamol for a few days a week here and there. For whatever reason that 8-16mg of codeine is usually enough to kick the nasty depressive brain fog for a few hours, a welcome side effect. The headaches have no apparent cause and often are accompanied by an even lower mood, even less motivation, sluggishness and fatigue.

Since the co works so well for all of the above I do wonder if the opiate receptors could be involved in the pathology of depression for some. Then again opiates mimic endorphins, the 'feel good' molecule - which could be just masking things really well.

Elsewhere I've only had relief from venlafaxine... for all of six months despite taking it for two years. Funnily enough I remember reading that VEN has some affinity for the opiate receptors (albeit minimal) which may explain why it was the first AD that actually did anything if true. Then again, most of the ADs hit a ton of receptors.

I'm currently trying "alternative" ways to kick the black dog (meditation and whatnot). If I try ADs again (most likely inevitable) I'm gonna fight to try the softer MAOIs (mocloblemide or seligiline as a patch). Buprenorphine has long looked super promising but I think for most it'll be a case of jumping through a lot of hoops with psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.