• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

If you could choose any profession...

Biovail

Bluelighter
If you could choose any profession in the field of science and would do exceedingly well in it (ie graduate top of your class), what would you choose? What pays the best?

This is the position I'm in, and it's pretty stressful. I know I can do well in any science... I've been blessed with an autistic mind and the ability to think creatively, but decision making is one of my vices, and every day things that seem obvious to most people escape me for reasons I can't understand.

If you had the ability to take any class and utterly destroy it, what major would you decide on for maximum payoff?

Chemistry captures my mind, as does human biology. And once I understand a concept in calculus, it sticks. I can apply it to anything. But the idea of research seems dull to me and I can't imagine myself in a lab observing rats all day. And on top of that, it doesn't pay.

So I guess I'm looking for advice. What do I do?

I thought a creative autistic was a misnomer?

Anyway, I think the obvious choice is chemistry. If you can exceed at what you do there should be no shortage of jobs once you graduate, and you can basically synth any fucking chem you like, what could be better?

I thought a creative autistic was a misnomer?

Creativity is a misnomer. But you're right. I see things for what they are, and often have trouble seeing what others see, even when they're right. But this way of thinking has major advantages, and I am creative in other ways. In the literal sense of the world, I am able to create things (concepts, ideas) and apply them in ways others don't consider. But my downfall is my tendency to try to over apply things even when it don't make sense to do so. And it can take a while for me to realize this.

Well, if you want to make money you go into engineering, not natural sciences. Not that you can't make money in the natural sciences if you really stand out, but it's often more of a matter of luck than anything else. Some of the most brilliant scientists are never recognized until long after their death.

I can imagine that an autistic mind could really excel in electronic or chemical engineering (but what do I know). Petroleum engineering is the most lucrative, but I'd rather kill myself. Aerospace engineering is so god damn cool. Purdue is probably the best school for that.

But what does an engineer actually do? I feel like engineering might bore me to death. I like sciences because I enjoy learning and understanding how the world works. But my thoughts on natural sciences were the same. I probably won't make good money unless I'm lucky and make some amazing discovery. But again, what does a chemical engineer do? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.

If I'm going to be bored of my profession to some extent anyway, I imagine I could make much more money in investing than engineering.

You're here, so how about neuropharmacology? ;D

(Seriously though, way too many people go into careers prioritising income. Don't get a job - make a living. Sounds like that's what you're trying to do, though, so best of luck to you.)

I know if I wanted a job in the government I would be occupying nashville right now.