A Forum for Listing Calls for Applications?

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
Would having a separate forum for listing all the calls for apps to supplement the call in the individual forums be a good idea? I really think this could help get more apps by making more people aware of opening. Often times a call for apps will quickly fall off of the first page of a forum, and some people that may genuinely be interested may never see it.

I think that having a separate forum could help in this matter. It could be in the feedback section, or if it doesn't warrant its own forum, then maybe it can be in the announcements forum. This would supplement the call for apps in the forums, and would not replace them. They may be more brief than the app threads in the forum, and a link to the thread in the forum can be provided in the post. This would only mean one extra thread/post to be made, so I think it would be worth it.

Any pros & cons from both the member and mod p.o.v?

Edit: Mods, if you think this is irrelevant outside of staff, then feel free to delete this and discuss it amongst yourselves.

Last edited:
I think it's a really good idea, Tommyboy, for a few reasons - not only would there be a specific space for applications, it would also work to promote various forums to members who may otherwise not look at them?

:)

I was thinking of this actually too the other day :) I think it's a really good idea too.

I think it's a really good idea, Tommyboy, for a few reasons - not only would there be a specific space for applications, it would also work to promote various forums to members who may otherwise not look at them?

:)

Yea, I figured that if there are people that want to help out as mods, they can easily find the openings. Even if it' just a thread in announcements for this, it would still increase the amount of views, hopefully translating into a larger number of applicants.

I was thinking of this actually too the other day :) I think it's a really good idea too.

Well I was the one that posted it. :p
Just messing with ya mugz. I've been job hunting lately, so that's kinda how I thought of it, since this would essentially be the same as job listings.

I like this idea as well. I think it would be more organized and open doors and awareness for those interested in coming on Staff

I like the way you think, Tommy!

I really like this idea - I was nudged for BDD only because Mugz modded it and knew me - I'd not ventured outside EADD before, but I started posting there to try it out and felt like I'd found my niche, and right from the start I REALLY loved modding BDD. I also only applied for TDS because it was more widely advertised. I think it's an excellent idea :)

i'm all for increasing the visibility of application threads.

however!

if an app thread falls off page 1-2 of the forum and doesn't get noticed, that is a failing on the mods' part. they should keep the thread alive by bumping it with reminders every so often.

(there is also the argument that if people aren't regular enough in a forum to see an app thread, they're not "interested" or "active" enough to become a member of staff, but I think we've been shooting ourselves in the foot with that approach...)

I definitely don't think it needs yet another forum, but I would agree that making a megathread in Announcements for "Recruiting now!" would be a good compromise. it would need to be posted & maintained by the senior staff of the recruiting forum, of course. this would not be a discussion thread, only a link to the original app thread along with closing dates etc. Any prospective member of staff could subscribe to the megathread and get instant notification of any openings. I like this idea. :)

another thing that some mods do is post a link to the app thread in their signature, so it gets advertised everywhere they post.

Those are all very good points, felix; if this was to occur, staff would need to really be on top of this. I also like the idea of posting something in signatures.

i think it's a good idea but doesn't need a new forum. calls for applications could be aggregated in a thread here in support forum or in the announcements forum.

alasdair

I don't think it would be very hard for staff to maintain. when the call for apps is made, a senior staffer updates the thread with the announcement. it should only take an extra minute or so to do.

Felix, I had thought about that argument (if member isn't on enough so see app, they are not active enough to mod) but I think that there are many people that are well qualified to mod particular forums that may not frequent the particular forum enough to see the app thread.

One of the reasons I started this thread was because I was recalling a time when I got a late app from someone that was a good candidate, so since the spot was filled I suggested they apply in a different forum that I knew they posted in a lot, and they had no idea that forum was accepting apps at that time. They were active in that forum, but since it was a busy forum the app thread fell off the front page a lot, and there is only so many times you can bump the app thread without looking too desperate.

this also leads to the question of why forums don't sticky their app thread? i thought that was the standard way of going about things.

Does the board-wide 'announcement' feature still work in VB 4.x (the one that shows a link at the top of every forum as if it were a sub-forum)?

I'm sure we used to make use of it for funding drives.

I generally agree with felix on the premise that if someone doesn't catch a recruitment thread, they're probably not in the forum often enough to know it's 'ins and outs'.

That said, encouraging a broader set of applications is not necessarily a bad thing.

^i would say that should be the case... but sometimes a forum only gets one or two applications and the mods are forced to pick someone who is only OK for the job. i would rather see a more established member who is not as familiar with the forum become a mod over someone who is going to flake out on their duties. the current mods and senior staff should be able to help a new mod get up to speed quickly.

many forums already cross post their app threads in the crew forum. i don't see why it would be bad to do so on a wider scale.

I think mods keeping the "app calls" thread bumped is really important and if possible with more than just a "bump" now and then. Descriptions of the role, posts from current mods about why they enjoy modding, encouraging words etc make it a much more interesting and eye-catching thread. The last one in BDD actually turned into one of my favourite threads there (I think it ended up with the new mod being promised mu's codpiece, cane's cane and my hairclip plus other awesome goodies :D) and the more fun and active (and popular-looking) the thread is, the more inviting the position looks!

Plus (possibly more importantly) it gives people a good chance to ask questions about the mod role and engage with the current mods. If all the mods and smods post in there it also gives the (hopefully correct) impression that the successful applicant will be joining a cohesive and well supported team.

Stickies are usually ignored in my experience so I think an active floating thread is probably the best way forwards..

I suppose a forum dedicated to apps would probably end up rarely being read, as app rounds don't come along that often (not often enough for it to become a daily routine to check it, anyway) - but the problem with a megathread in Support or Announcements is that unless BLers knew it was there, why would they ever think to look? Surely it would only be spotted by those who came to the forums for other reasons.. I have to admit to never reading "Anouncements" until I wanted to see the posting stats for my forums.. but I may be alone there :D

As for signatures - to be honest, I'm not convinced they are read that much and if there is an active app thread on the main page that should attract the attention of the regulars from that forum. I suppose if the mod posts in multiple forums it would increase visibility however..

edit: That all sounded really negative, sorry. I do think increased visibility is a good idea, just not too sure how to best do it.

I would be interested to know what proportion of staff were nudged to apply, and how many potential applicants are put off for various reasons (and what those reasons are..)

Last edited:
^ I agree completely.

The best mod application threads we had in EADD were those where there was some fun put into the process (a point raised recently in staff forums for internal recruitment threads) and where the application thread turned into a positive social thread.

To that end, the process relies on the enthusiasm and promotion of the existing mods.

The decision will still be in the hands of the mods, so I don't see how increasing the number of people that may view the call for apps as being a bad thing. As said before, you will probably get some good applicants that just happen to be less active in a particular forum at the time, and if somebody is not a good choice, then they simply will not be chosen. An additional area for posting calls for apps may just consolidate the calls into an area where someone with a vast knowledge of the forums can go to see what forums may need help at the time.

i think it's a good idea but doesn't need a new forum. calls for applications could be aggregated in a thread here in support forum or in the announcements forum.

This was my thought as well. Though, SUPPORT allows for replies, whereas ANNOUNCEMENTS does not. Would it be a 'help wanted' listing from the paper, or an active discussion thread? I'm not sure.

Does the board-wide 'announcement' feature still work in VB 4.x (the one that shows a link at the top of every forum as if it were a sub-forum)?

It does, however I'm not sure it would suit this purpose...though I may be reading the question wrong. The board wide announcement is still available...however, it does NOT allow for any discussion (unless it is used solely as a link to an active discussion thread....but the s/w design is such that this is a blurb of text within that notice typically, not a link to a discussion thread). I know I'm confusing this up a bit, since more time than not, we HAVE used it as a link only, and not a self contained text blurb :\ SO, yes it exists...but how would we use it? As a link to an ongoing 'help wanted thread'? An ever present listing of the current job openings, without dialogue (notices cannot be replied to), that becomes part of the sticky-like furniture? Or only run it when we have an opening...any opening, advertised across the site then taken down when the apps are in?

This was my thought as well. Though, SUPPORT allows for replies, whereas ANNOUNCEMENTS does not. Would it be a 'help wanted' listing from the paper, or an active discussion thread?
...I would agree that making a megathread in Announcements for "Recruiting now!" would be a good compromise. it would need to be posted & maintained by the senior staff of the recruiting forum, of course. this would not be a discussion thread, only a link to the original app thread along with closing dates etc. Any prospective member of staff could subscribe to the megathread and get instant notification of any openings.
whatever solution is chosen, there only needs to be *one* discussion thread in the original forum.
It does, however I'm not sure it would suit this purpose...though I may be reading the question wrong. The board wide announcement is still available...however, it does NOT allow for any discussion (unless it is used solely as a link to an active discussion thread....but the s/w design is such that this is a blurb of text within that notice typically, not a link to a discussion thread). I know I'm confusing this up a bit, since more time than not, we HAVE used it as a link only, and not a self contained text blurb :\ SO, yes it exists...but how would we use it? As a link to an ongoing 'help wanted thread'? An ever present listing of the current job openings, without dialogue (notices cannot be replied to), that becomes part of the sticky-like furniture? Or only run it when we have an opening...any opening, advertised across the site then taken down when the apps are in?
"Notices" appear to be more flexible and easier to maintain than "Announcements", with the added benefit of a "dismissable" option - this shows it to everyone, and once they've read it they can close it.

I'm looking for a couple of mods in Wiki right now, so here's what I'm gonna do to trial this:

• post an app thread in the wiki forum
  • post a new generic 'Help Wanted' thread in the Announcements forum (linking to the wiki app thread)
  • publish a new Notice advertising the fact that we're advertising new positions in the Announcements forum - if you're ever gonna be interested in joining the staff, subscribe to that thread, if not, click X to dismiss this notice

i think that's a reasonable compromise between increased exposure, and lots of tedious extra work for admin posting & maintaining individual announcements for each opening. the only additional work once this is setup is for a member of senior staff for the forum to copy any new app threads (i.e. the OP) into the 'Now Hiring' Announcements thread.

i'm not seeing much of a downside to this, but any comments are welcome, of course. :)

^ that's along the lines I was thinking, although I would just link to the app threads currently active.

EDIT: Actually, yours is probably the least time-demanding method.

Might need to occasionally republish the notice to catch new members.

Last edited: