• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids coming off oxycodone

While I agree that a 4 day detox is best for some people, and certainly enough to make the withdrawal relatively painless, some people are better off with a longer taper.

Some people are better off being on suboxone for a longer period of time, allowing them to get their life back in order before stopping. It is very easy to relapse if you just detox quickly, and have not yet made positive changes in your life. Taking suboxone during this time will help with the cravings as well as blocking other opiates, so it's one less thing to worry about while they get their life on track.

These are things to consider when deciding between a quick taper, and a prolonged taper.

Yeah that's why I was saying if he still wants to use and cant handle it then he might need to be on suboxone for a longer period of time.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! Yes I want to come off these meds as painless as possible. I'm just sink of being "married" to taking medications everyday - 3 times per day. I want to try natural pain relief methods for awhile - give them a chance. I feel like the meds are controlling my life on a daily basis. And I dont want that. So its time to be off them and manage the pain other ways. If it doesnt work - maybe in a year or two i'll go back on them if I need to.

I have a full months supply to taper with...so I have full freedom...now its just doing it. Probably easier said than done. I'm going to try and taper down 10mg a day...every week. Since I have that level of freedom. By the end of february I should be down to 10mg a day...maybe even 5mg...and then just jump off and deal with the mild symptoms...hopefully mild at that point. Since I dont care how long it takes...and I want the withdrawals symptoms to be as mild as possible...is 10mg a week a decent taper? I know its not aggressive at all...and many people would probably do it quicker. But it freaks me out...and with everything else i'm dealing with in my life right now...#1 priority for me with this is painless as possible and absolute minimal withdrawal.

Again thanks for the help! This site is awesome

You could even go down 5 milligrams a week, to make it even less painful. You'd be down 20mgs in a month doing it this way. Then in Feb. start going down 10mgs a week. There's a combined total of 60mgs you've cut off, so you would only have 30 left, and you could figure out a way to keep minimizing your dose, or just jump right at 30.

^ It's easier to drop by the higher doses in the beginning. If they are going to drop by 10mgs, they should do that in the beginning, and then drop by 5mgs at the end.

^ It's easier to drop by the higher doses in the beginning. If they are going to drop by 10mgs, they should do that in the beginning, and then drop by 5mgs at the end.
^This. I would jump down 10mg at first and just see how you feel. If you can handle it, then keep with it. If it's a little overwhelming at first, dont be ashamed to drop it only 5mg. It's a start right? Once you feel comfertable with your doses, then try dropping 10mg again and see how that goes. We are here for support so don't be ashamed to ask questions. A while ago I was using suboxone for an Oxymorphone habbit and it help alot! Made it so I could get on with my day and now feel slugish, or in pain. Suboxone is a merical worker when used correctly! I wasn't sure but did you go to the doctors already? I read you had a full month supply above but I didn't know if that from your perscribtion from before. Anyways if you are going to taper off with just using your reg meds, then like I said above, and as Tommyboy said, try doing 10mg at first, if that dosn't work then just do 5mg.

You can do it man!

yeah i've already been to the doctor - so I have a full month supply of my regular dose starting today. I'm gonna try what you guys said and start by dropping 10mg and see how I do with that...thats only 1 pill for 1 dose - the other 2 doses would be normal. that doesnt sound too challenging at first...but at least i'll know in the back of my mind that I have the freedom to drop by 5mg if need be. We'll see...thanks for the support!

No problem man, Kudos to you for having the will-power to try and controle this problem. Remeber, if you relapse, you are not hurting yourself. Alot of people do, it's not weakness at all! You'll do fine boss!

I agree, but did you really need to revive a 2 year old thread???