• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

4-MePPP (2-(pyrrolidin-1-yl)-1-p-tolylpropan-1-one), CAS: 28117-80-8

NMR-Chemist

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelighters!

I'm new to the forum and hope that I can contribute something usefull, since I have NMR access and test RCs for a very good and responsible vendor. 7 month ago I tested a sample of a compound that was so "new", it did not even have a common name. I just got the CAS number, the IUPAC name and the sample.

040112175504_4-MePPP.jpg

My NMR analysis confirmed the identity and I started searching the internet for information about this compound. I found virtually nothing but that a trivial name existed after all: MPPP! Since MPPP also stands for a very dangerous opioid, I suggested calling it 4-MePPP (4-Methyl-alpha-Pyrrolidinopropiophenone). What do you think about that?

I've also snorted some of the material (started with 10 mg measured on a lab balance) and found it to be one of the nicer cathinone-stimulants. I also gave it to some friends who also liked it (though it's nothing too special). Very energetic talking, sort of coce-like, at ~30 mg level. I'm not sure about the duration of the effects any more, but it was probably about 1-2 hours after insufflation.

A short time ago I tested a sample that was supposed to be alpha-PVP but turned out to be this very same compound! Please keep that in mind when planing to take alpha-PVP. Now I have about 1 g of the substance and I'm going to give it one more try.

Has anyone come else across this compound? I'd really like to hear your opinions...

I forgot to add the NMR spectra.

Here's the 1H-NMR in D2O.
040112181358_4-MePPP_1H.jpg

Please note, that the broad pyrrolidine peaks broaden even further and finally converge at even slightly elevated temperatures! The first time I got this compound was in summer, so the 1H-NMR looked differently:

040112181351_4-MePPP_1H_warm.jpg

The 13C-APT-NMR:
040112181401_4-MePPP_13C.jpg

I found a paper about the analytics of MDPV which greatly helped me understand why the pyrrolidine protons (and also the carbons) show that strange behaviour. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll explain and/or will send you the paper.

Welcome to bluelight! It'll be great to have someone around here with NMR analysis skills like yours!

@OP: How would you classify the effects, compared to, say, a-PPP and a-PVP?

There's actually a Wikipedia stub about ths substance. I wanted to make it findable by the name of 4-MePPP (in addition to MPPP) but couldn't find out how to do it.

@flaming: I did not have the chance to try any of these compounds yet, so I cannot compare. Yet I will give this 4-MePPP another try sometime this weekend. I'll give more details on the effects afterwards.

@Indole: Thanks! Feel free to ask questions if you have any. :)

@BananasAndOranges: What exactly does this have to do with pentylone?

There's actually a Wikipedia stub about ths substance. I wanted to make it findable by the name of 4-MePPP (in addition to MPPP) but couldn't find out how to do it.
I've made a redirect at 4-MePPP, and it's already linked from the disambiguation page at MPPP. MPPP is also the name of an opioid agonist, which is considerably more well-known than 4-MePPP, so it gets to use the "real" MPPP page.

@flaming: Thanks for doing so! I've just changed the Wikipedia article a little bit and added the warning about mixing up the names/substances. I knew about the opioid. Actually, I started the thread partially out of concern that the misleading name MPPP might spread (and people get harmed by mixing up things), once this stuff becomes widely available on the RC market... This "instant Parkinson" byproduct sounds pretty nasty to me!

I did about 200 mg of 4-MePPP together with some friends (they share about 300-400 mg) throughout the last night in 20-40 mg lines. After each line there was a rush (albeit not a strong one) followed by 1-2 h of nice not-too-strong stimulation and increased alertness. I would not have actually needed to take as much to feel awake but I wanted to find out what happens if you overdo it a little. I found that you hit a ceiling quite fast from where redosing does not give you additional effects. There weren't many adverse effects either, though, probably due to the compound's relativ short duration of action. I smoked quite some pot during the night, too (which is something I ofter do when on stimulants) and was able to go to sleep for 5 hours less then 2 h after the last line.

As I said before, 4-MePPP seems to be a reasonably good stim (without the strong somatic disadvantages of the related MDPV). It's nothing too special, though.

I did about 200 mg of 4-MePPP together with some friends (they share about 300-400 mg) throughout the last night in 20-40 mg lines. After each line there was a rush (albeit not a strong one) followed by 1-2 h of nice not-too-strong stimulation and increased alertness. I would not have actually needed to take as much to feel awake but I wanted to find out what happens if you overdo it a little. I found that you hit a ceiling quite fast from where redosing does not give you additional effects. There weren't many adverse effects either, though, probably due to the compound's relativ short duration of action. I smoked quite some pot during the night, too (which is something I ofter do when on stimulants) and was able to go to sleep for 5 hours less then 2 h after the last line.

As I said before, 4-MePPP seems to be a reasonably good stim (without the strong somatic disadvantages of the related MDPV). It's nothing too special, though.

Has anyone come else across this compound? I'd really like to hear your opinions...

Yes, I got a sample of this and just tried it. 20 mg insufflated produced some quite mild and subtle stimulation, as you said like some kind of distant coke-high but without the ego-boost. Adding 20 mg didn't to much, the stimulation increased a bit but is still quite subtle. There is a huge pupil dilation too. I don't find it especially functional or increasing motivation that much though (the reason I've used stimulants). At least there's no anxiety or panicky feelings I easily get with stimulants, this is really mellow stuff and I think too weak to gain much popularity. It's just not stimulating or euphoric enough.

Yawn. More cathinone SNDRIs. I thought these were old news.

Yawn. More cathinone SNDRIs. I thought these were old news.

I'm no expert in pharmacology but this seems to be a quite serotonergic compound. I noticed it more clearly now when I took 40 mg. The stimulation is weak but there's a soft and fluffy feeling and HUGE pupil dilation.

Edit: It actually feels like a slightly stimulating antidepressant. While slightly stimulating it actually has a calming effect, reducing anxiety.

Last edited:
Pupil dialation means shit all, it could be from any number of neurotransmitters being released. NE does it as well as 5HT.

That said, this is just mephedrone with a pyrrolidine ring tossed on to avoid customs... I expect it would be pretty comparable to meph. Probably a little more potent. Standard issue serotonergic cathinone stimulant.

Yawn.

Pupil dialation means shit all, it could be from any number of neurotransmitters being released. NE does it as well as 5HT.

That said, this is just mephedrone with a pyrrolidine ring tossed on to avoid customs... I expect it would be pretty comparable to meph. Probably a little more potent. Standard issue serotonergic cathinone stimulant.

Yawn.

I wrote a bit about it in the thread I created about it in OD but with 50+ mg doses there is a decently strong rush followed by more intense stimulation. I took too much one day, an hour after taking 40 mg I insufflated 50 mg and the rush and stimulation was too much and I got panicky.

There are a few things I want to add though I don't have much else to add as I'm quite a novice when it comes to the pharmacology of drugs and am just reading my first books about the subject when I'm almost 30...

- No noticeable vascoconstrion at any point
- No comedown
- No paranoia or anxiety (only when I took too much)
- Not moreish or fiendish
- Doesn't keep you awake more than a few hours after the last line

I've never done meph or much other cathinones so it's very hard to compare to anything. It's definitely not especially functional.

How tolerant are amphetamine derivative monoamine relasers to nitrogen substitutions? Should we expect 4-mePPP to instead act primarily as a reuptake inhibitor? If so, how interesting would varying the propensity for SERT inhibition prove?

ebola

How neurotoxic would this compound be based on the little information we have now? I'm always a bit paranoid with stims and use tons of antioxidants, probably too much, with them. I do it with all stimulants nowadays. At least there's no harm in doing that, better safe than sorry.

- No comedown
- No paranoia or anxiety (only when I took too much)
- Not moreish or fiendish

For you, maybe.

How neurotoxic would this compound be based on the little information we have now?

Well, given that we only have a vague idea how it might work and no idea of the potency, it's probably just as safe as mephedrone. Which, again, is still mostly up in the air..

How neurotoxic would this compound be based on the little information we have now? I'm always a bit paranoid with stims and use tons of antioxidants, probably too much, with them. I do it with all stimulants nowadays. At least there's no harm in doing that, better safe than sorry.

Don't overdo it, depending on the antioxidants it could be counterproductive. Better the devil you know, and such