• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids OTC Loperamide for Withdrawal... Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli777

Bluelighter
Loperamide, Brand name Immodium is an OTC opioid anti-diarrhea medication closely related to Fentanyl that does NOT cross the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB).

Therefore you cannot get high off of this drug.

Believe it or not, your brain is not the only part of your body with opioid receptors. The gastrointestinal tract contains opioid receptors as well.

is a miracle drug in my opinion.

After reading several articles about people trying to get high off of immense amounts of loperamide (80+ mgs) I stumbled on an article about somebody who used the drug for withdrawals**.

Having run out of hydrocodone and tramadol yesterday.. I decided to test this theory myself...

Two word... It works. Instead of painstakingly dragging my hurting body around the house, I experienced MUCH relief. As a matter of fact, in this moment right now, I feel great. Clear-headed with absolutely NO anxiety. I could use this drug as an anti-anxiety drug because it works for that too.

Its 30 degrees outside and I just went on a 3 mile walk to the grocery store. That is something I would NEVER do if I was withdrawing from opioids.

This is my first "article" I've written and I feel the need to share it with people because this drug WORKS!!! spread the word.

Yes, you are indeed correct in saying loperamide works quite well (for most people) for opioid withdrawals. There are plenty of threads about this, though. This is more journal material if anything, but I am going to leave this open for a bit since I am hoping it may generate some new quality discussion about the wonders of loperamide.

I'm glad it works so well for you !

I've been thinking of using this to take a break from bupe, does anyone have experience with that? I take one mg a day and would like to know if tapering further would be necessary to get relief with loperamide. It would be great if I could take this for a few days off bupe without having to feel anxious and shitty.

I forgot to tell everyone how much I use for relief... and trust me friend... it'll work wonders for coming off bupe. I took about 16mgs. probably could have used less but either way, it works great.

Anybody have experience taking zantac with loperamide?

Shit I'm gonna get me some Imodium! Is there any mental reliefe as well? I heard a mention of well being (nota high) but it will alleviate the anxiety too?

It's not a panacea, far from it actually.
Don't get your hopes up.

I'm surprised most junkies don't realize how effective an antidiarrheal is for lose bowels.

Yes, loperamide really can do a lot of good for withdrawals.

You don't need to take very much at all, as you mentioned you probably could have used much less than 16mg and gotten relief. I usually use about 8-10mg myself to great effect and of course the trick is to use the lowest effective dosage. It lasts at least 24 hours, and 'fixes' a good portion of the withdrawal.

It's not a 100% 'fix', but what the loperamide doesn't 'fix' is pretty manageable. The physical symptoms are taken care somewhat, but the mental aspects of the withdrawal don't magically disappear.

The constipation is a little more intense, but not much more than other full-agonists really. The stomach cramping is no fun, but eating something usually helps when my stomach starts to feel weird. The dry mouth is unquenchable, though.

Seriously though, do not try to use loperamide to get high. For withdrawals it can be a valuable ally, but you shouldn't abuse it. For one, you're going to be disappointed. Alright, that needed to be said.

It's not a panacea, far from it actually.
Don't get your hopes up.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:
Yes, to be honest it does make you feel pretty damn good. If anxiety is what youre worried about then this will work great for you. I struggle with MAD social anxiety and it completely relieves all of it similar to a benzodiazepine. Dont quote me on that its just my experience. I used to take bupe evvery damn day for about a year and if I'd have found this drug earlier it would have saved me a hell a lot've money. (spent 40G's on rehab)

And no it is far from a panacea. People who have very high tolerance to IV heroin or IV oxycodone will probably have a tougher time getting thru the day. Different people, different results. simple as that. For me, it works.

Anybody have experience with taking a medication called Zantac with loperamide?

I was told that it helps with the metabolism of the drug. As far as constipation, get some miralax and ducolax and you'll be more than straight.

yea,the worst part for me is mental part of withdrawl ,and lope really helped me with that ,i could sleep while on it

i desperately wanted some cns affects ,just a lil warmth but i just got mental relief ,and at high doses i kinda felt weird,and would find the next day i felt normal the whole day TBH ....but the thought of talerance going sky fucking high sucks and is depressing ,for once in close to 6 or more years im clean ,and i came off a bad IV methadone habbit.....bad (shakes head ) habbit

Yes, to be honest it does make you feel pretty damn good. If anxiety is what youre worried about then this will work great for you. I struggle with MAD social anxiety and it completely relieves all of it similar to a benzodiazepine. Dont quote me on that its just my experience. I used to take bupe evvery damn day for about a year and if I'd have found this drug earlier it would have saved me a hell a lot've money. (spent 40G's on rehab)

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm real concerned about. Bupe gets me out of bed and puts me in a good mood, I take.5mg 2 x a day, if lope can get me through a few days that would great without feeling real crappy and unmotivated. I can deal with a little withdrawal it's the insomnia and anxiety I hate

I'm heading to the store now to get some. I'm on day 4 of withdrawals, and although it hasn't been bad, I am so bored that it is driving me crazy, and I quit drugs in anticipation of a possible drug test for a job, so I don't have much of a choice.

I won't be expecting much, and only need a little bit of relief anyway, but I figure that I may at least get a placebo effect from popping pills. :\

I'll report back in an hour.

IV methadone... interesting. Sounds dangerous... yet somewhat intriguing hahah.

Trust me, Its no placebo. Shit works. For me and hopefully you guys.

Out of curiousity, What do people consider high doses of loperamide and what do people consider low doses. NOT FOR GETTING HIGH. For withdrawal.

Insomnia is something I struggle to hell with. It'll be interesting to see how I do tonight. I take 400mg of seroquel every night for it. Anybody know any alternatives to seroquel that'll put me to sleep. Also thats non-addictive. Been down the benzodiazepine route and not interested in z-benzodiazepines. Off topic. Sorry.

For the person above me I'd recommend taking 10-16mg for withdrawal relief.

^I take 50-100mg of seroquel everynight as well. It sorta works, but not really. In combination with my other meds/opioids it is good though. But if I am withdrawing, seroquel is the LAST thing I want to take, as for me personally is exacerbates the restless leg syndrome to the point where it is beyond unbearable.

But as for your question, have you tried zyprexa? I know a few people who switched to that from seroquel with good results. Also, have you tried remeron? As far as non benzo/sleeping pills go, remeron has worked the best in regards to my insomnia. Much better than trazadone or seroquel. Remeron even helps me sleep while detoxing, which is a rare thing for me.

Ive taken remeron in small doses in a rehab setting with no luck. Whats a good dose for remeron? Think I'll give it a shot.

Careful with Seroquel. Tolerance does happen over time.

I've taken zyprexa and was like a f*cking hungry hungry hippo eating everything in sight. Gained a good bit of weight. Stopped taking that after about 3 weeks.

Ive been preaching the good word of loperamide for a while now. I'm still so surprised its not well known among addicts and even when you do tell someone they will never believe you until they try it. I just think about all those addicts going through all that needless pain when the cure is just a handful of lope which is right down the street in their pharmacy or local grocery store. Im pissed I didn't know about it sooner.

Ive found that it works best when taken the night before you are about to go into withdraws. I always take it at night when i know I'm not gonna be getting high the next day so I wont wake up sick. It is a huge BLOCKER for opiates though i have noticed that if you have been doing it for a few days it will take at least a couple days to get high again. Same with shitting, it will take a few days before your not shitting out pellets and golf balls anymore.

It does dehydrate the hell out of you though too. I went on vacation to Vegas back in August and was coming off a gram a day heroin habit and had nothing but loperamide with me(thank god i had it) and I went on a 13 mile kayaking trip on my 3rd day. It was 118 degrees out that day and I had taken like 40mg of lope so i was pissing out all my precious fluids. Needless to say it was a rough day but I can tell you if i hadn't taken the lope there is no way in hell I could've done that shit. One other bad side effect Ive noticed is that it makes you real drowsy and groggy feeling for a while after you take it.

Oh yeah about the dosing, Ive always taken anywhere from 20-40mg(10-20 pills). I'm not sure but I think it may have a ceiling effect because I almost wanna say that 20mg will make you feel the same as 40 mg. But Ive never taken a whole shitload of it to see if you feel different from a much larger dose, so I cant say for sure.

I have to finish by saying that I do still prefer bupe(especially subutex) to lope but I do like the fact that it is easily attainable and wont put you into a prec withdraw either.

I took 10mgs about an hour ago. I was on day 4 of mild withdrawal, and it seemed to help, most noticeably with the RLS. I also got my appetite back, and no longer want to rip everyone's heads off, which is good I suppose.

Of course the first place I went to didn't have it, and the one worker had to yell across the store to the other, asking if they had any immodium.

whoa whoa... blocking effects? I took 20mg of lope today. nothing yesterday, nothing before that EVER. tomorrow when I snort 8mg of hydromorph (good dose for me) will it block SOME of the effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.