• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What did you do to get off your butt today? vs. "Butt's off the floor!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually i meant that as in "which age group tends to be strongest?"

am tooo jelly of you living in the mountains like that. i love my surroundings here, but damn is it flat!!

and btw how much do these events run you? my triath is 65, which actually seems kinda low. was surprised to find out how expensive some of these are tbh.

It appears in all races I have attended that 20's male and female appear to be strongest.
$25 per race. This includes a shirt and post race buffet.
The one in Dec is $40 (different organization) and I thought that was steep. The organizers mention the shirt is values at $42.
I am new to competing.

damn that's cheap!! landrover triathlon in november wants 100$ for cheapest, and $220 for late-reg (relays)!!!!
must be triathlons v. running/hiking i imagine..

Wow. I would be interested in a trail running/mountain biking (no experience yet)/kayaking triathlon.
I know they have them here.

Not doing shit today. Did deadlifts/squats/lunges/calf raises yesterday and giving a 5 mile run a shot tomorrow. I need my rest day, mostly because my lower back and hamstrings fucking hurt from the deadlifts and squats.

wow a 5mi run during the peak of your doms??

and what kind of volume are you doing on those lifts? I couldn't even imagine trying to do all that in the same session.. are you natural?

wow a 5mi run during the peak of your doms??

and what kind of volume are you doing on those lifts? I couldn't even imagine trying to do all that in the same session.. are you natural?

Doing the 5 mile run is part of my plan to stay social (a kid from one of my classes invited me when I brought up that I work out, I don't think he understands that I've only been working out for like 4 or 5 months now I think, coming off of the worst shape of my life. Lost 20 pounds though, looking good and trying to lose just 7 more, so I will never turn down activity). I'm almost positive I will not be able to complete it. Sprints have given me some decent breath but I'm still a two pack a day smoker. If I can make it 3 miles I will be happy.

As for my lifts, I use dumbbells and I can get just enough weight for my 10 rep max on deadlifts (I do one set of opposite foot bends for each side, to 25-30[warm up, basically], then one set of straight legged deadlifts to 17[last time, at least], then one set of actual dumbbell deadlifts to my 10 rep max.

Squats and lunges to about 30-35 (total), one set. My adjustable weight set is fairly limited so I started out simply endurance training my legs, now I'm slowly upping the weight to reach my 10 rep max as my upper body is getting pretty cut from hypertrophy training.

That particular workout was way too much, I tried combining my lower back and leg days in order to attempt working out each muscle group two days a weak, but I could not reach my usual reps counts with the lunges and squats. At least it will allow me to work out my upper back, shoulders, and the next day my arms, pecs, and abs (although I often do bicycle crunches 2-3 times a week) 2 times within a week long period.

^love hearing about progress like that :) ((gotta work on 2packs a day tho that's heavy by *any* definition!))

and ya that's fine volume, i ASSumed it was heavier / lower reps for some reason..
(look into "good mornings" for a great posterior chain workout if you're hitting the limits with your current weights setup)

good luck on your run!!

ran my first half-marathon today. 2:34:58.

feels good, man.

:)

alasdair

Congratulations dude.

I deleted the post 'cause I reposted in the healthy living photo thread :)
1st in age group 35-39 (41 runners) 36:48.74. 9:13/M. 85th overall out of 513.

Jesuschristo that's awesome :)

Saturday was arms and legs day to make up for missing the past couple of days.
Today was an easier day:
20 min bike
Leg press 70 lbs 3x15
Calf raises 35 lbs 3x15
Crunches 3x30
Bicycle crunches 3x20
Russian twists 10 lbs 3x15
Planks 1 min each

There are so many smiley faces in this post.

^jesuschristo- is that from something? because i say that too lol..

28mi bike to a *gorgeous* tourist/vacation spot, got a bit more sun than i'd have liked but what can ya do? Don't know a total but I'm definitely over 100miles in the past week on bike alone ;PP

Google maps says I rode 17miles today. Picked up Nike tinted swim goggles for $11 at sports authority. Cashier had me sign up for a membership program and I saved 25% off on my first purchase.

Did a run tonight - the humidity completely destroyed me! Going to be interesting to see how it affects my running this Summer. :|

beagle- check mapmyride it uses googlemaps software but it's easier to just click to plot the course you ran/rode.

any ideas for measuring a swim in the ocean? For all of my swims' distances, i basically have to do my best educated guess, would really like something more concrete to work with..

^Use a pedometer or tripometer on ur bike and ride down the pier. Or maybe alongside the beach, marking reference points.

i'm swimming out from dock at pop stanzel in the bayou... no straight lines. I just put a ruler to the screen on googlemaps and compared to known street distance, my estimates had been on-point enough.

1/4mile swim (in disgusting water, for some reason there was like 3" thick barrier of seaweed. gross.)

I like just going down the street but think i'm gg your neck of the woods for my swims soon, the water seems worse every time i get in it here and i'm still managing to cut myself on barnacles like every other time I go :|

i'm swimming out from dock at pop stanzel in the bayou... no straight lines. I just put a ruler to the screen on googlemaps and compared to known street distance, my estimates had been on-point enough.

1/4mile swim (in disgusting water, for some reason there was like 3" thick barrier of seaweed. gross.)

I like just going down the street but think i'm gg your neck of the woods for my swims soon, the water seems worse every time i get in it here and i'm still managing to cut myself on barnacles like every other time I go :|

barnacles? sounds like an undeveloped/industrial port. CL beach is white sand, Highrise Hotels and foreign tourists.
edit: I just acquired a skimboard and a pair of divers fins. I dont look forward balancing a skimboard while riding my bike 3.12 miles across the bridge to the beach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.