• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mom of 4 reflects on first year in prison for $31 pot sale

Unbreakable

Bluelighter
Wearing prison-issue yellow clothes, Patricia Spottedcrow reflects on her first year in prison through the lens of tears and determination.

One year ago, on the week of Christmas, the first-time offender was checked into the Eddie Warrior women's prison - the first holiday away from her four young children.

"I cried and cried just thinking of my kids opening presents on Christmas and I wasn't there," she said. "This year, it's going to be any other day. I try not to keep up with days in here."

At her mother's home in Kingfisher, there is a somber tone among her children - ages 2, 4, 5 and 10.

"We're crying here too," said her mother, Delita Starr. "We'll try to make sure there is money in her account for a phone call. What else can we do?"

Spottedcrow, 26, was arrested and charged for selling $31 in marijuana to a police informant in December 2009 and January 2010. Starr, 51, was also charged.

Because children were in the home, a charge of possession of a dangerous substance in the presence of a minor was added.

In blind pleas before a judge, Spottedcrow received a 12-year sentence and her mother received a 30-year suspended sentence. Neither had prior criminal convictions.

The judge sentencing the two said she allowed Starr to avoid prison so she could care for Spottedcrow's children.

When Spottedcrow was booked, after her sentence was handed down, marijuana was found in the jacket she was wearing. She pleaded guilty to that additional charge and was sentenced to two years running concurrent with the previous sentence.

After her story was published in the Tulsa World, a groundswell of support grew. Supporters expressed concern with possible racial bias, unequal punishment among crimes, women in prison, effects on children of incarcerated parents and extreme sentences for drug offenses.

Oklahoma City attorney Josh Welch has been donating his services to fight what he calls an inequitable punishment.

In October, a Kingfisher County judge took four years off her sentence. The judge issued an order rather than allow her an appearance in court. Her attorney and supporters believe it was to avoid the crowd expected to be at the courthouse that day.

Welch said he plans to file for post-conviction relief, alleging the original attorney was ineffective and had a conflict in representing Spottedcrow and her mother. He plans to make the filing in early January and submit an early parole packet at the same time.

"We are grateful to get four years taken off her sentence but still believe the sentence is unjust and excessive," Welch said.........

Source:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111226_11_A1_CUTLIN819265

CraZy nuts

This is ridiculous. I met a crack dealer in jail that only received 2 years for selling a total of 1 and 1/2 ounces of crack to an informant in a total of 3 sales. These drug laws are ridiculous. Oh wow, a mother who was helping someone who turned out to be shitty has now had her life ruined. Way to go legal system, keeping the real crime off of the streets. They only have these laws because they make it easy for the police to exploit everyday people who otherwise wouldn't be breaking the law.

Completely fucking ridiculous. Great job destroying the lives of four children plus their mother. This country is so fucking win.

She got prison, when not 2 months ago a uniformed police officer handed me back almost an ounce and a half bagged up as if for sale in 5 different bags and said go hang out somewhere else for the day. I feel like an asshole for getting off so easy but at the same time if you're gonna smoke bud, you may as well move somewhere where its practically legal rather than staying in naziville.

(It was 5 different strains.. what can i say. lol)

Americans are always so proud to say "it's a free country".
Nothing could be less true.
Oklahoma = China = Saudi Arabia
The drug war is destroying the lives of innocent people, including children.
The double speak tells us that the mother is in jail "to protect society" or "to protect her children", but these are clearly lies.
Society, and children, need freedom. Cannabis won't hurt anyone much. But the drug war is evil.

Caseface99, you need not feel "like an asshole" for getting off easy.
Nobody should get in trouble for having some flowers.

WHAT THE FUCK?

30 years? Thats complete BULL SHIT

I could get a sentence better than that if I had a kilo of Columbian and a full auto AK-74 with a suppressor and a laser sight.

^ Over here you'd get less than 30 years even if you went out and killed some random guy.

This is really, really, really fucked up!

Yep, when you go to jail for more time for possessing flowers than for raping and killing a teen, there's a serious problem somewhere.

Feel sorry for that lady and her children, keep those drugs away from the kids though, even if it's only weed.

The court systems seem like they have a hidden agenda on trying to destroy families, especially the ones with small children. How in the world does someone get 12 years for selling $31 of weed is beyond me. The people in her town should revolt against this stupid sentence............they are trying to break our spirit by creating a police state...............

Feel sorry for that lady and her children, keep those drugs away from the kids though, even if it's only weed.
Jaurk: No doubt that all drugs should be kept away from children.

Even if it's only tobacco or caffeine, which can more easily kill a child than weed (lower LD50 compared to standard dose).

From Erowid:
It is estimated that fatal doses for humans are between 3 and 20 grams of caffeine taken orally, depending on body weight and tolerance.
There is 415 mg of caffeine in a venti Starbucks brewed coffee, which is more than a tenth of the lower range (and children have low body weight)

Much of the nicotine in tobacco is oxidized into other compounds during smoking, so if kids eat cigarettes it does not take too many to kill them.
One cigarette's-worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

As for cannabis:
“At present it is estimated that marijuana’s LD-50 is around1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.
cannabis-science.com/content/DEA%20Ruling%20Judge%20Young.pdf

However, I don't often see people going to jail for exposing their children to these drugs. :|

^ woah, very very interesting thanks for putting that together.
I was addicted to smoking after only smoking once when I was 8, and 2nd hand smoking every day when I lived at home.

Mum always smoked around me, I told myself never to smoke, still haven't since, except when I unknowingly smoke it mixed with weed, which sends me crazy for nicotine.

But yeah, sucks growing up addicted before you can even make your own choice.
And I only had 1 puff of that cigarette when I was 8, coughed to death and decided, never, ever.

This reminds me of my friend who can't get food stamps because he has a manufacturing drugs conviction.

They still give child molesters food stamps though...

They need to start protecting people instead of protecting themselves from being slightly less than mega rich. Urgh.

It kinda pisses me off, that whenever these articles come around, people always say "She needs to keep it away from her kids"

She did. Does it say ANYWHERE that she EVER smoked around her children? Or was ever even AROUND them high? For all we know this girl keeps that shit locked up in a safe, in the attic, guarded by a Shaolin Monk and a rottweiler.

What about booze though? Every single kid I know whose parents drink, has access to hard liquor. Most of them can get cigarettes too. Obviously those drugs are way more harmful, so how come those parents dont get 30 years in jail?

Congrats. That courtroom fucked up a family, and caused permanent damage to 4 children over a plant that makes people happy and hungry...

Absolutely ridiculous.

That is insane. Some states are ridiculous. I know some guys who got caught with 2 ounces, baggies, and scales. The cop made them smash their scales and then gave the weed back and told them to leave. I guess Massachusetts > Oklahoma.

Absolutely bonkers, I cannot understand the thought process behind this at all. Good luck to her and her family.

Last edited: